Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16690771 times)

Runco990, alan.bain and 108 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57875 on: May 07, 2020, 12:26:05 am »
Is that referring to Mr Gates in any manner?

This turned up on the local ads. today, I'm sure I saw the same piece of equipment with a different name on it on evilbay a few months ago, I can't find it now...
I didn't want to clutter the T.E. section with a dedicated topic and figured the wild bunch that hang-out here wouldn't mind being cluttered some more anyway.
Anyone know who the OEM for this DMM is?

(Attachment Link)

I own 3 of these. They aren't too bad. There is a manual available somewhere.

You can now believe me when I posted in post #57859 that I have an outbuilding full of 'treasures'.  :)

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Specmaster, shakalnokturn

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57876 on: May 07, 2020, 12:30:43 am »
Is that referring to Mr Gates in any manner?

This turned up on the local ads. today, I'm sure I saw the same piece of equipment with a different name on it on evilbay a few months ago, I can't find it now...
I didn't want to clutter the T.E. section with a dedicated topic and figured the wild bunch that hang-out here wouldn't mind being cluttered some more anyway.
Anyone know who the OEM for this DMM is?

(Attachment Link)

Look like a ANALOGIC DP100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKING-ANALOGIC-DD100-MULTIMETER-/274345235098?nma=true&si=H%252FVF4cGo0C28gtLll9vlH0ZNQQg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, shakalnokturn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57877 on: May 07, 2020, 02:51:49 am »

You can now believe me when I posted in post #57859 that I have an outbuilding full of 'treasures'.  :)
It's not that we don't believe you; more that we DO. And we fear for you a little, my friend. ;)

mnem
The road to TE Hell is paved with semi-functional meters... >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ArthurDent

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #57878 on: May 07, 2020, 02:56:18 am »
So after posting LM399 circuit boards yesterday I decided I 'needed to build a couple' so I chose cellularmitosis 's ones  ::) Oshpark even gave me an upgrade to Rapid so they should be out of there in a few days along with a basic shorting board while I was at it. !@#$'ing exchange rate SUX  :rant:

Non TEA still playing at Laser designer and working on the Airflow and ducting across the bed. Fusion/Ryzen power render >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57879 on: May 07, 2020, 04:24:33 am »
   Now all I have to do is program the fucking thing...

mnem
 :scared:

As always, the Devil is in the details; The part I thought was going to be a tedious nightmare of testing & troubleshooting (the PN2222A AutoFan mod) worked perfectly right off the bat, and the part that I first thought would be easy (adding a 3rd thermistor on a board based on the MKS Gen L, which comes with 3 thermistor pins) has turned out to be the assache. ::)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3053604/#msg3053604

mnem
*toddling off to ded* :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57880 on: May 07, 2020, 09:03:13 am »

It's not that we don't believe you; more that we DO. And we fear for you a little, my friend. ;)

mnem
The road to TE Hell is paved with semi-functional meters... >:D
It's not that we don't believe you; more that we DO. And we fear for you a little, my friend. ;), said Ford Prefect, now lets go to the pub.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57881 on: May 07, 2020, 09:10:49 am »
umm, no, I didn't ... :) I can barely justify the expense.
But I may have just tawked by boss into funding me an ultrascale board ...

Virtex, Kintex or Zynq, I have to see ...

That's the next year of your life gone, then :)

Don't understimate the complexity of the toolset, especially when it has to knit VHDL with timing and placement, with ARM peripherals, with ARM C code, with one or two different OSs (e.g. Linux on one core and an RTOS on the other).

Bonus points for understanding which files it is necessary and sufficient to store in a version control system.

I won't underestimate the dark side of the force.
I estimate it as equally evil as the the blue side of the force (Microsoft .NET etc) for which I had to install the toolchain yesterday ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57882 on: May 07, 2020, 09:47:41 am »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57883 on: May 07, 2020, 10:26:00 am »
Don't get me started on .Net toolchain  >:( :-DD. Yesterday's rant: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/how-many-people-code-in-c-these-days-and-if-so-why/msg3053124/#msg3053124

Glad to read that; I'm not in the slightest bit surprised.

I decided to ignore C#[1]back in 2001, since it was clearly Java minus the runtime optimisation, minus the memory safety, minus cross-platform.

[1] I would have changed my mind if there had been a reason. I was never in a position where there might have been. Sometimes you make your own luck.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57884 on: May 07, 2020, 10:33:40 am »
I did it because the contractor rates were good 8)

If you're paid by the hour, pick something shit. If you're paid to complete something, pick something good.

My heart is really here: http://www.kiblerelectronics.com/tcj/archive/archive.shtml

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57885 on: May 07, 2020, 10:40:39 am »

If you're paid by the hour, pick something shit. If you're paid to complete something, pick something good.

My heart is really here: http://www.kiblerelectronics.com/tcj/archive/archive.shtml

I made a career choice to enjoy my work. I mostly succeeded, with one notable (fintech) exception when I was constrained by being a single parent.

My heart started out here: http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/acc.htm WeenyBitter Rulez :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57886 on: May 07, 2020, 10:51:07 am »

I made a career choice to enjoy my work. I mostly succeeded, with one notable (fintech) exception when I was constrained by being a single parent.

My heart started out here: http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/acc.htm WeenyBitter Rulez :)

I fall in love with electronics by reading the elrad journal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elrad_(magazine)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57887 on: May 07, 2020, 10:58:43 am »

I can never get paid to do what I like so I figured the best solution was to make money so I don't have to do stuff I hate for as long. Nearly there. Retirement age should be about 51 at the current rate.

And I'm hooked on Amateur Computer Club now :)

I actually had a Z80 SBC I built around 1989 somewhere based on the Art of Electronics Student manual 1st edition with some part subs as you couldn't get the HP displays here for a reasonable price at the time. I was going to dig it out and fix it up. Alas it looks like it went to the tip years ago when my mother was have a clear out  >:(. I was considering building it again as I actually have nearly all the parts, including a Z80 and some SRAM, just lying around.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57888 on: May 07, 2020, 10:59:35 am »
I fall in love with electronics by reading the elrad journal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elrad_(magazine)

For me it was Practical Wireless (usually Impractically Full Of Errors). Now available here: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Practical_Wireless_Magazine.htm

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57889 on: May 07, 2020, 11:08:20 am »
FFS I only just got baby shark out of my head and there it is again  >:( :-DD

Now, with LASERS.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57890 on: May 07, 2020, 11:14:50 am »

I can never get paid to do what I like so I figured the best solution was to make money so I don't have to do stuff I hate for as long. Nearly there. Retirement age should be about 51 at the current rate.

Mine was 55 :) And I didn't live near London after 25 :)

And I'm hooked on Amateur Computer Club now :)

I actually had a Z80 SBC I built around 1989 somewhere based on the Art of Electronics Student manual 1st edition with some part subs as you couldn't get the HP displays here for a reasonable price at the time. I was going to dig it out and fix it up. Alas it looks like it went to the tip years ago when my mother was have a clear out  >:(. I was considering building it again as I actually have nearly all the parts, including a Z80 and some SRAM, just lying around.

I've still got my 6800 plus 128 bytes of RAM, and there is a partly completed wirewrapped Z80 in the loft (and, I think, some 8080s). Never liked the Z80, never had a chance to use a 6809.

I also rmember Galdor Computing, shades of TNMoC :) http://www.ict1301.co.uk/13010110.htm and scroll down
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:17:43 am by tggzzz »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57891 on: May 07, 2020, 11:20:02 am »
That's pretty good going. I don't intend to live near London for much longer. Once the current shit show is over and the housing market has crashed I'm going to take advantage of it, move and downsize. Property demand is rather high here still fortunately so prices aren't going to suffer that much compared to other places.

6809 was rather nice. It allowed fully position-independent code and had hardware multiplier. Of course the 68k killed it dead but for simple systems it's still a killer little CPU. Perhaps I should build a machine.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #57892 on: May 07, 2020, 11:47:13 am »
FFS I only just got baby shark out of my head and there it is again  >:( :-DD

Now, with LASERS.

I am thinking of starting a company 'Moats-R-Us' - sharks, crocodiles, semtex, lasers and mines are extra - but available at competitive prices! Buy Phalanx CIWS to really get the neighbors jealous!

I am quite liking the Corona virus - I have the perfect excuse to be an antisocial bast**d. Problem is that in our state of a million people or so - in the last 2wks only one new case so the Gubbermint is probably about to destroy my cover.

Not TE but close - bought a 200A ac/dc TIG welder - lots of frustration ahead but currently enjoying 'This old Tony' on YouTube. Lots of little bits to consider! Gas lenses, water cooled handles - oooooh.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57893 on: May 07, 2020, 12:46:26 pm »
That's pretty good going. I don't intend to live near London for much longer. Once the current shit show is over and the housing market has crashed I'm going to take advantage of it, move and downsize. Property demand is rather high here still fortunately so prices aren't going to suffer that much compared to other places.

Surely sell before it crashes, rent, then buy after the crash. But then I'm a lousy trader.

T'will be interesting to see if people still want to live in plague-ridden post-brexit cities, rather that the nice safe hinterlands. Me? Four miles from the city centre, with a farm in between :)

6809 was rather nice. It allowed fully position-independent code and had hardware multiplier. Of course the 68k killed it dead but for simple systems it's still a killer little CPU. Perhaps I should build a machine.

I liked the 6809's orthogonality and the addressing modes. Looking at the Z80's add-a-bit-on-there and its sparse instruction map made me weep - mostly ended up using the 8080 subset.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57894 on: May 07, 2020, 01:20:52 pm »
Counter proliferation is ongoing. One could say ..and counting  :-DD but that would be tooo much a Dad JokeTM and I don't do those. Or do I?

Thurlby Thandar TF830 from the local auction site. A bit on the expensive side, but...

(edit: spelnning)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:28:45 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57895 on: May 07, 2020, 01:31:26 pm »
Surely sell before it crashes, rent, then buy after the crash. But then I'm a lousy trader.

T'will be interesting to see if people still want to live in plague-ridden post-brexit cities, rather that the nice safe hinterlands. Me? Four miles from the city centre, with a farm in between :)

If I was going to do that until I talked to an IFA. He suggested I wait for my mother to drop dead, sell her house and use that money to buy something, keep this place and rent it out. Over next 20 years it's still the best thing to throw investment behind even if it's on a dip now.

As for post-Brexit cities, yes indeed. The local estate has gone to shit already as most of the folk who weren't already unemployed and unemployable have been furloughed or disposed of entirely already. It has got pretty nasty.

I'm intending moving to a similar semi-rural location, in your direction, with moat (VK5RC is hired!), fibre, enough roof space to get a solar installation up and some pikey-proofing. Need to evaluate some suitably non Royston Vasey locations though.

I liked the 6809's orthogonality and the addressing modes. Looking at the Z80's add-a-bit-on-there and its sparse instruction map made me weep - mostly ended up using the 8080 subset.

Z80 was a hack job on the 8080 for sure. Then again it was the least terrible hack job that didn't eventually spawn the vile thing that is x86-64 :)

Mostly the interest in Z80 as it has some very mature software available for it (CP/M + MP/M etc). Not an ideal FORTH machine though. Perhaps that needs it's own CPU http://www.aholme.co.uk/Mk1/Architecture.htm

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57896 on: May 07, 2020, 01:55:43 pm »

If I was going to do that until I talked to an IFA. He suggested I wait for my mother to drop dead, sell her house and use that money to buy something, keep this place and rent it out. Over next 20 years it's still the best thing to throw investment behind even if it's on a dip now.

I've been waiting for my mother to do that for 10 years! Now my daughter is old enough and renting, I'll give her the inheritance; she needs it more than me.

Don't underestimate the aggro that can come with being a landlord. Money is a hygiene factor, not everything.

As for post-Brexit cities, yes indeed. The local estate has gone to shit already as most of the folk who weren't already unemployed and unemployable have been furloughed or disposed of entirely already. It has got pretty nasty.

The poorer parts of the nearest city seem to go up in flames about once a decade. Usually it is the northern poor area dumping on the southern and v.v., but last time the central poor area got in league with the adjacent yuppies to have a protest.

I'm intending moving to a similar semi-rural location, in your direction, with moat (VK5RC is hired!), fibre, enough roof space to get a solar installation up and some pikey-proofing. Need to evaluate some suitably non Royston Vasey locations though.

Plenty of places near me will have newly acquired moats by then, without any action on your part. Me? Having lived on the edge of the Fens, now I'm on the side of a real hill with lovely 10 mile views.

Z80 was a hack job on the 8080 for sure. Then again it was the least terrible hack job that didn't eventually spawn the vile thing that is x86-64 :)

Mostly the interest in Z80 as it has some very mature software available for it (CP/M + MP/M etc). Not an ideal FORTH machine though. Perhaps that needs it's own CPU http://www.aholme.co.uk/Mk1/Architecture.htm

FPGAs are preferred nowadays.

If you want TTL, why not go the whole hog? E.g. http://www.megaprocessor.com/ Personally I'd prefer to implement a bit-serial computer, like the first one I used (Elliott 803).

Or for forth use the GA144 http://www.greenarraychips.com/home/documents/index.html#architecture

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #57897 on: May 07, 2020, 02:13:53 pm »
Hey all. So I decided to end my poorly thought out shelf imposed exile. Mea culpa. Besides, I miss all of your ugly mugs.  >:D

And just by coincidence while I was gone a bunch of personal issues that I'd rather not go into popped up and needed resolving. That's done luckily.

And under the category of “I'd rather be ganged raped in a prison shower”......  :scared:

I just spent 3 miserable days upgrading the media PC from WIN7 to WIN10. It was a wipe WIN7, reformat, clean install of WIN10. But it was anything but “clean”. I had forgotten all the tweaks I had put on this machine over the years and nearly every one of them reared it's head to bite me until the light bulb came on. The first issue involved video. As soon as WIN10 installed the monitor either froze or went blank. But the system was happily running. I had to remove the GeForce GT 610 video card and go back to the GPU VGA to get video to work. Clearly this was not going to be a good solution. And every time I put the GT 610 card in was the same result. Considerable fiddle farting followed and I was just about to dump WIN10 in favor of a Linux solution when that light bulb came on. Long story short....the GT 610 card was trying to render to a monitor that was shut off. The Samsung TV. D'OH.  :palm: Once I realized that the video was fixed.

There were several other frustrating issues to work thru including finding the right Realtek HD Audio Monitor Program and drivers but eventually everything fell into place. And now everything is working 100%. And while this machine was snappy running WIN7 I've noticed a considerable speed increase with WIN10. I haven't done any bench marking it's just a seat of pants observation.

I never, EVER, want to do this upgrade again.           :horse:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, URI, beanflying, nixiefreqq, Kosmic, Saskia

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57898 on: May 07, 2020, 02:17:10 pm »
Welcome back, med! glad to see you here healthy rumbling again.  :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57899 on: May 07, 2020, 02:21:54 pm »

I am quite liking the Corona virus - I have the perfect excuse to be an antisocial bast**d. Problem is that in our state of a million people or so - in the last 2wks only one new case so the Gubbermint is probably about to destroy my cover.
:-DD
Know the feeling exactly.  >:D
We have the odd mostly welcome visitor that comes to use my private rifle range however as we are still in a partial lockdown none are supposed to be doing that stuff. A cop buddy rang yesterday busting to get out and about and come for a shoot and a coffee only to be told he's not welcome ATM which took his breath away a bit.
Maybe I need weed some more out.
Coffee, milk and biscuits seem to last seem to lasting much longer of late.  :-DD

Not TE but close - bought a 200A ac/dc TIG welder - lots of frustration ahead but currently enjoying 'This old Tony' on YouTube. Lots of little bits to consider! Gas lenses, water cooled handles - oooooh.
How does it go ?
Without pictures this post is useless !  :P

Oh, and be sure you get a treadle for it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf