Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16694122 times)

Carl_Smith and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57850 on: May 06, 2020, 05:30:15 pm »
3D printing is on my list, need to see some more reviews to find an affordable but nice one.
it will needs to wait a few mounts ;-)

Ender 3. Mine worked out of the box. No futzing and no problems so far other than the supplied extruder drive wore out and was replaced with an aluminium one and I switched to a glass bed which was nicer. Just works!

First print-and-paint that I did for my youngest....

The line around the middle of the nose was where the printer got knocked  :palm:

School work can wait. Or just electronics class the next few months.

I am actually having the day off school work today so I'm inclined to agree.

IT'S SO disappointingly unfluffy.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57851 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32:00 pm »
Maybe you ought to knock up a few more unicorns, a few people are in need of a unicorn at the moment  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I added my unicorn (HP 5370B) to my stack:

Missing HP patch (I still have some somewhere, have to find them), not cleaned at all.
Just changed the mains voltage to 230/240V and switched on.
The internal OCXO is a bit off* -the HP cal sticker is from 1987-05-20, only 33 years plus some days.   :-DD

The next weekends are saved from possible boredom.   :)

I was very impressed by the packaging: Strong double layer cardboard box and a second layer of double layer cardboard. Within that was the 5370B packed with 8 to 10 cm strong foam material held together by big bubble bubble wrap. Absolutely safe package, no real risk of damage through transportation -at least if you don't go over it with a tank.  :-+  :)

*I'll check if that OCXO is bad -like in my HP 3335A -fixed it and re-set the working point of max. stability against temperature changes over several days due to the long settling times. Was no real fun along the way but the success felt good when it worked out right at last.   8)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Cubdriver, mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57852 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32:59 pm »
are you in the right forum ?  :-DD :-DD

just kidding ...
we all love boat anchors.

speaking of which ...
Not resist I could
1 Stück HP 6236B TRIPLE OUTPUT POWER SUPPLY, Hersteller: HP

*sigh*
Congrats. That is an adornment to every lab.

The HP6236B is my 'daily driver' PSU. The only time it doesn't come out first is if I need a variable current limit.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57853 on: May 06, 2020, 05:38:11 pm »
well, in that case ...

my  :-BROKE RTX 2070  :-BROKE will be picked up tomorrow by DHL express to be shipped to the Asus service center for repair or exchange.
Interesting failure:
when playing with CUDA stuff the fan control did not work correctly as the library was not in the expected location due to nvidia packaging changes.
The card must have overheated, but it was also throwing some ram errors.
then *poof* and just a couple of strange dots and lines and flicker on the display when initializing the graphics.

Opened call with Asus at 21:39 yesterday, got the shipping docs today at about noon.
Refrained from buying another card.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57854 on: May 06, 2020, 05:43:07 pm »
3D printing is on my list, need to see some more reviews to find an affordable but nice one. it will needs to wait a few mounts ;-)
Let us 'Enable you' over here  >:D https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3051888/#msg3051888 but ans Ender 3 Pro is a good and easy one to start with.
Creality CR10 any good?
I own a CR-10S as well but the Enders now get more use.

You might want to get in on the CR6-SE; the KickStarter is up and has already secured $550,000 of their $100,000 goal in like 6 hours. There are still like 150 slots left for the $319 buy-in... there were 220 slots when I logged in for mine.  :scared:

https://creality.com/cr-6-se-3d-printer-crowdfunding-on-6th-may-p00296p1.html

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1001939425/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-diy-3d-printer-kit

If they deliver half of what is promised, it's going to revolutionize "hobbyist-grade" 3DP.

Cheers,

mnem
*3DP-ily*

All just Kickstart hype. You'll be able to buy it for half of that on Ali-express by the end of the year.

On the subject of 2020 CRO scopes, it's the backwards Goverments of this world keeping that industry alive. A local secondary school here got Government funding for a classroom full of scopes. I went over to check it out and they had seriously bought something on the level of what you just showed.  :palm: There aren't enough faces and palms on this planet for some things.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57855 on: May 06, 2020, 05:49:49 pm »
3D printing is on my list, need to see some more reviews to find an affordable but nice one. it will needs to wait a few mounts ;-)

Ender 3. Mine worked out of the box. No futzing and no problems so far other than the supplied extruder drive wore out and was replaced with an aluminium one and I switched to a glass bed which was nicer. Just works!

First print-and-paint that I did for my youngest....      The line around the middle of the nose was where the printer got knocked  :palm:

Just for you, C. ;)

mnem
I'm not flat; I'm fuffy.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57856 on: May 06, 2020, 06:01:42 pm »
You might want to get in on the CR6-SE; the KickStarter is up and has already secured $550,000 of their $100,000 goal in like 6 hours. There are still like 150 slots left for the $319 buy-in... there were 220 slots when I logged in for mine.  :scared:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1001939425/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-diy-3d-printer-kit

If they deliver half of what is promised, it's going to revolutionize "hobbyist-grade" 3DP.

Cheers,

mnem
*3DP-ily*

All just Kickstart hype. You'll be able to buy it for half of that on Ali-express by the end of the year.

On the subject of 2020 CRO scopes, it's the backwards Goverments of this world keeping that industry alive. A local secondary school here got Government funding for a classroom full of scopes. I went over to check it out and they had seriously bought something on the level of what you just showed.  :palm: There aren't enough faces and palms on this planet for some things.

McBryce.

Not likely; this isn't some fly-by-night goofball company you never heard of, it's CReality FFS.  :palm:  They explain right on the product page WHY for the 1st time ever, they KickStartered this product; there's a LOT they'll have to contract-manufacture with the BOM involved.

Given the price of the E3 and the CR10, this one will probably be approx US$349-379. There's really a whole shitload of next-level goodies built-in; it's NOT just hype. And like the E3 post-release, there will be 1-3 months where the only people with them in-stock will be 3rd-pary price gougers.

I have NO PROBLEM with the small level of gamble I'm taking here; I know mine will come over in the first boatload delivered.
  ;)

That DOES boggle the mind... obviously folks who have no idea what is needed or what they're buying.  :palm: I wonder if those selling the gear have any more clue than those buying...? :o

mnem
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:05:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57857 on: May 06, 2020, 06:09:19 pm »
A nice opportunity for Germans to get a Tek 555

5 hours before the end it stands at a mere 66 €.

That's all they'll offer? They would have to pay me a lot more than 66 € to take that anchor.  :-DD

are you in the right forum ?  :-DD :-DD

just kidding ...
we all love boat anchors. ...

I have to admit, I was just kidding. I actually have an entire out building that is completely full of electronic 'treasures' in various states of disrepair that I eventually plan to get to some day.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:16:57 pm by ArthurDent »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #57858 on: May 06, 2020, 06:17:57 pm »

First print-and-paint that I did for my youngest....      The line around the middle of the nose was where the printer got knocked  :palm:

Just for you, C. ;)

mnem
I'm not flat; I'm fuffy.

I would call that "aerodynamic youthful droplet shape". No photo of myself.  8)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57859 on: May 06, 2020, 06:21:22 pm »
I refuse to comment on... coffee grounds.   >:D

are you in the right forum ?  :-DD :-DD   just kidding ...   we all love boat anchors. ...
I have to admit, I was just kidding. I actually have an entire out building that is completely full of electronic 'treasures' in various states of disrepair that I eventually plan to get to some day.
Just make sure you build a list with realistic eBay asking prices for those "treasures" and attach it to your Last Will & Testacular-ament... don't force your survivors to bulldoze the whole thing just to protect their own sanity.  ;)

mnem
*lost in Marlin Firmware/Arduino programming hell*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:24:23 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, ArthurDent

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57860 on: May 06, 2020, 06:35:16 pm »
I refuse to comment on... coffee grounds.   >:D

are you in the right forum ?  :-DD :-DD   just kidding ...   we all love boat anchors. ...
Just make sure you build a list with realistic eBay asking prices for those "treasures" and attach it to your Last Will & Testacular-ament... don't force your survivors to bulldoze the whole thing just to protect their own sanity.  ;)

mnem

I've run this scenario past my agent, Ford, and considered all the various possibilities as you can see.  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57861 on: May 06, 2020, 07:08:42 pm »
when I was dreaming, I was dreaming of an old missile silo. I could pursue my hobby and have an integrated launch rail.
Plus an integrated home defense system ...

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57862 on: May 06, 2020, 07:17:51 pm »
I've run this scenario past my agent, Ford, and considered all the various possibilities as you can see.  8)

While I can commend Mr Cohen on this choice of example materials for his presentation... I have to say... Way to suck the joy out of one of the great works of comic fiction.  :palm:

mnem
 :=\
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:25:21 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57863 on: May 06, 2020, 07:21:07 pm »
when I was dreaming, I was dreaming of an old missile silo. I could pursue my hobby and have an integrated launch rail. Plus an integrated home defense system ...

...and complete self-sufficiency in launching and resupplying useful things like a suborbital crowbar launcher. I heartily endorse this choice of lifestyle!  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57864 on: May 06, 2020, 07:23:27 pm »
Suborbital crowbar launcher sounds interesting. Added to fortress plans  :-DD

Just installed windows 10 on one of those M600 mini PCs. Gaaaah kill me  :-DD. Debian now installing...  :phew:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57865 on: May 06, 2020, 07:36:23 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
*3DP-ily*

McBryce.

Not likely; this isn't some fly-by-night goofball company you never heard of, it's CReality FFS.  :palm:  They explain right on the product page WHY for the 1st time ever, they KickStartered this product; there's a LOT they'll have to contract-manufacture with the BOM involved.

Given the price of the E3 and the CR10, this one will probably be approx US$349-379. There's really a whole shitload of next-level goodies built-in; it's NOT just hype. And like the E3 post-release, there will be 1-3 months where the only people with them in-stock will be 3rd-pary price gougers.

I have NO PROBLEM with the small level of gamble I'm taking here; I know mine will come over in the first boatload delivered.
  ;)

That DOES boggle the mind... obviously folks who have no idea what is needed or what they're buying.  :palm: I wonder if those selling the gear have any more clue than those buying...? :o

mnem

The worst bit about the school acquisition was the fact that they had just been given a pile of Arduino and STM devboards for free. Instead of buying 20x lowcost digital scopes with useful triggering features and decoding (things you could make use of), they went for 40x more or less useless for the purpose analogue CRO's. Such a waste of resources.

The people selling them don't give a shit, just as long as they get the cash.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57866 on: May 06, 2020, 07:48:11 pm »
I never suspected that they cared... just wondered if they even had a clue what they were selling.  :o

There seems to be this whole other world out there nowadays, one that semi-self-sufficient folk like you and I are (blissfully) unaware of; :palm: people without a fucking clue selling Ifni-knows-what-all shit they know NOTHING about for ungodly money to folks with even LESS clue about what they're buying and even less clue about what they really need
. |O

mnem
and then there's politics... ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57867 on: May 06, 2020, 09:30:46 pm »

Just installed windows 10 on one of those M600 mini PCs. Gaaaah kill me  :-DD. Debian now installing...  :phew:
I'm surprised that they would even run windows 10, I bet it crawls along on its hands and knees though, and is a bit wheezy.   :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57868 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:08 pm »
It's fucking horrible with windows 10 on it. Well TBF it was horrible while windows update was still going. It was quite usable after that. But still comparing it to the Ryzen box it's hilariously slow. It's like using your weird cousin's computer with the 11 toolbars in the browser, Bonzibuddy which has somehow survived two windows version upgrades and keyloggers disguised as pr0n.

The funny thing though is if you install Linux on it, the C thing I'm working on at the moment only takes 4% longer to compile on it than the Ryzen. So I'm actually doing most of the development work on it at the moment using the laptop on the sofa as a terminal only. My ears are ringing because it's so quiet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:39:57 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57869 on: May 06, 2020, 09:40:17 pm »

Just for you, C. ;)

mnem
I'm not flat; I'm fuffy.
I think that you're a tad early with the Christmas tree  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #57870 on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:00 pm »

Just for you, C. ;)

mnem
I'm not flat; I'm fuffy.

Daddy Shark doo doo, doo doo doo doo ♫♩
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57871 on: May 06, 2020, 11:21:14 pm »
FFS I only just got baby shark out of my head and there it is again  >:( :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57872 on: May 06, 2020, 11:43:09 pm »

Yup. Item #47 on my personal "When I Become an Evil Overlord" to-do list; right after "Copyright the words 'love' 'security' & 'insurance' " and "take personal ownership of Lake Titicaca Ontario". Oh, and "patent consciousness itself". >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:45:31 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57873 on: May 07, 2020, 12:00:28 am »
Is that referring to Mr Gates in any manner?

This turned up on the local ads. today, I'm sure I saw the same piece of equipment with a different name on it on evilbay a few months ago, I can't find it now...
I didn't want to clutter the T.E. section with a dedicated topic and figured the wild bunch that hang-out here wouldn't mind being cluttered some more anyway.
Anyone know who the OEM for this DMM is?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #57874 on: May 07, 2020, 12:04:49 am »
FFS I only just got baby shark out of my head and there it is again  >:( :-DD

Yes, we can suffer together, separately. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf