Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16695974 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57775 on: May 05, 2020, 03:18:37 pm »
Just had a good ebay win. Got the 160m + 2nd RX antenna option kit for the K2 off ebay unbuilt for less than half the retail price :-+. That gives it AM broadcast band RX as well which is handy. Also more importantly something to build / do / fettle with :-DD

Well, you are not alone.  :D  I scored a few minutes ago three very nice units:

- a Fluke 732A voltage reference - 330 Euro
- a Keithley 155 Null Detector - 300 Euro
- a Fluke 750A reference divider - 255 Euro

:-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D

Here are some generic pictures of the devices:

Fluke 732A

you are the one I was fighting  against  :D

:-DD

Yes, seems so.
And if I haven't slept @ the Fluke 731B it would be mine as well.  :box:  :-DD

Those devices are in a very nice shape, aren't they?
Aren't you worried because of the missing jacks on the Fluke 732A? I always suspect, that this could mean further missing parts behind....

Ähm, which missing jacks?  :o
The picture above is a generic one, not mine.

This is a picture of mine (picture is from the seller):

For comparison, this is a picture from TiN's website xdevs.com:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57776 on: May 05, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »
thanks everyone for the get well soon wishes.
That plus the disinfecting regimen (that's where the 80l of alcohol are coming in handy ...) should protect me at least a little bit.

In other news, the HP power supply arrived. The amp meter is somewhere in the case, the accompanying screw somewhere else, and the packaging was a mother of a fuckup using shoe boxes thrown into a large shipping box, then the power supply on top, plus another couple of shoeboxes to bolster it.

:palm: :--

I'm suddenly having ideas of of Rube-Goldberg-esque closed circuit personal desinfection schemes..

That HP did look decent when you bought it, or did I miss something? Triple blasted primates!
That packing sure is bad. It seems to me that the care taken is reciprocal to the value of the goods sometimes, as the absolutely worst package that I ever recieved was my Analogic 800Ms/s polynomial waveform generator, where they filled the space with debris from a renovation obviously. Wallpaper with plaster clinging to it, parts of painted wood etc.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57777 on: May 05, 2020, 03:21:35 pm »
Just had a good ebay win. Got the 160m + 2nd RX antenna option kit for the K2 off ebay unbuilt for less than half the retail price :-+. That gives it AM broadcast band RX as well which is handy. Also more importantly something to build / do / fettle with :-DD

Well, you are not alone.  :D  I scored a few minutes ago three very nice units:

- a Fluke 732A voltage reference - 330 Euro
- a Keithley 155 Null Detector - 300 Euro
- a Fluke 750A reference divider - 255 Euro

:-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D :-+  ;D  :-+  ;D

Here are some generic pictures of the devices:

Fluke 732A

you are the one I was fighting  against  :D

:-DD

Yes, seems so.
And if I haven't slept @ the Fluke 731B it would be mine as well.  :box:  :-DD

Those devices are in a very nice shape, aren't they?
Aren't you worried because of the missing jacks on the Fluke 732A? I always suspect, that this could mean further missing parts behind....

Ähm, which missing jacks?  :o
The picture above is a generic one, not mine.

This is a picture of mine (picture is from the seller):

For comparison, this is a picture from TiN's website xdevs.com:

Ah, ok. Now I read the complete panel labels and all seems to be ok. I mistook the adjustment access ports for missing jacks.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57778 on: May 05, 2020, 03:23:12 pm »
Ah, ok. Now I read the complete panel labels and all seems to be ok. I mistook the adjustment access ports for missing jacks.

Please, don't do this again, I have a weak heart.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57779 on: May 05, 2020, 03:29:29 pm »

We will gladly assist the mourning bereaved with the disposal of their inheritance!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57780 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:38 pm »
thanks everyone for the get well soon wishes.
That plus the disinfecting regimen (that's where the 80l of alcohol are coming in handy ...) should protect me at least a little bit.

In other news, the HP power supply arrived. The amp meter is somewhere in the case, the accompanying screw somewhere else, and the packaging was a mother of a fuckup using shoe boxes thrown into a large shipping box, then the power supply on top, plus another couple of shoeboxes to bolster it.

:palm: :--

I'm suddenly having ideas of of Rube-Goldberg-esque closed circuit personal desinfection schemes..

That HP did look decent when you bought it, or did I miss something? Triple blasted primates!
That packing sure is bad. It seems to me that the care taken is reciprocal to the value of the goods sometimes, as the absolutely worst package that I ever recieved was my Analogic 800Ms/s polynomial waveform generator, where they filled the space with debris from a renovation obviously. Wallpaper with plaster clinging to it, parts of painted wood etc.

What some people apparently classify as adequate packing is completely unfathomable to me.  How you can put a valuable, relatively heavy instrument into a box stuffed with shoeboxes, or in a box barely larger than it and stuffed with a thin layer of peanuts*, or wrapped in crumbled butcher paper than literally wrapped on one axis with cardboard with the open ends stuffed with more crumpled butcher paper and taped shut (the latter two being personal experiences in the past month)   :wtf: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Do the shippers that do this sort of thing just not give a crap, are they really that naive to how packages are handled during shipment, or are they just dumb as a sack of hammers?   :-//  (I kind of lean towards the latter, as to me such piss poor packaging shows a lack of any sort of sense.)

-Pat

* edit to add - to be 'fair', the HP 8643A described here also had a layer or two of small bubble wrap around it, too. Almost forgot that little detail.  It still lost two of its rear bumpers - threaded bosses broken and screws pulled out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:59:15 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Saskia

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57781 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »

We will gladly assist the mourning bereaved with the disposal of their inheritance!

;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57782 on: May 05, 2020, 04:36:51 pm »
Not as interesting as a Schlumberger or other crazy DDM but it was too cheap to resist.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:39:40 pm by psykok »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57783 on: May 05, 2020, 04:46:19 pm »
And on a different aggravating shipping note, the USPS is certainly being impacted by the bug.  In my experience, they're usually pretty good, but I am currently waiting on a package coming from New York (literally 110 miles by road from me).  It shipped on Monday, April 27th and now, a week and a day later, is "in transit to next facility".  'Expected Delivery' was originally Thursday the 30th.  In the meantime, FedEx Home got a package shipped from Florida on the 30th to me on Sunday the third.  Four days to go 1100+ miles vs 8 days so far to go a tenth of that.   |O

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57784 on: May 05, 2020, 05:05:30 pm »
Not as interesting as a Schlumberger or other crazy DDM but it was too cheap to resist.

Hmm, thats pretty good really, comes with a good spec and from a well known maker, whats not to like about it?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57785 on: May 05, 2020, 05:23:07 pm »
Nothing to dislike!
Works great and the calibration is super easy.
I just need to find or build myself a new top cover.

It will probably find a place near my 1991 counter.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:27:13 pm by psykok »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57786 on: May 05, 2020, 05:29:04 pm »
And on a different aggravating shipping note, the USPS is certainly being impacted by the bug.  In my experience, they're usually pretty good, but I am currently waiting on a package coming from New York (literally 110 miles by road from me).  It shipped on Monday, April 27th and now, a week and a day later, is "in transit to next facility".  'Expected Delivery' was originally Thursday the 30th.  In the meantime, FedEx Home got a package shipped from Florida on the 30th to me on Sunday the third.  Four days to go 1100+ miles vs 8 days so far to go a tenth of that.   |O

-Pat

I've been seeing crazy stuff too,  like packages arriving from China in 8 days, while randomly something from the next state takes much longer than that...  The service is unpredictable at the moment, basically.

Offline Mp3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57787 on: May 05, 2020, 05:33:05 pm »

-Pat

I've been seeing crazy stuff too,  like packages arriving from China in 8 days, while randomly something from the next state takes much longer than that...  The service is unpredictable at the moment, basically.

Same here,
Recently had an item from west coast to east coast USA by USPS take 2 days to get here whereas several items that were shipped from the east coast took over a week to get here.
China mail feels very fast all of a sudden - except everything i ordered early March is still MIA...!! (Everything from april on made it here fairly fast though?)
High school graduate

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57788 on: May 05, 2020, 05:54:49 pm »
I have a couple of missing china parcels as well.-

In other news I am currently setting up a small mainboard to run an ethereum miner using a cuda cpu.
Next step will be to try do do a reference implementation on an fpga to familiarize myself with that stuff.
(I don't think mining is profitable, but it's easy to verify if your implementation is working or not and how fast it is.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57789 on: May 05, 2020, 06:08:39 pm »
Talking of China packages my PLC was DOA  :palm:. Case raised with Aliexpress.  :--

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57790 on: May 05, 2020, 06:17:58 pm »
Yeah, eBay & Canada Post seem to be trying to perfect the shipping suckage as well; I have a package bought on april 17th, took 5 days to get through eBay Global Shipping; showed CLEARED CUSTOMS on the 23rd, and is JUST NOW, 12 days later, showing "En Route With Destination Carrier".  ::)

mnem
 |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #57791 on: May 05, 2020, 06:18:44 pm »
Just wondering... where would you guys get a 10V calibrated reference? Recently got one of eBay, actually I think from a guy that also roams the EEVBLOG, but it seems of by about 200uV or so. Actually makes sense, he gave the DMM he used for calibration and the math works out, but still. I'd like something better. Suggestions?

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57793 on: May 05, 2020, 06:26:08 pm »
Yeah, that's the one  :-DD

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57794 on: May 05, 2020, 06:34:06 pm »
Yeah, that's the one  :-DD

OMG that the one I was interested  in to replace my chines one .   :palm:

otherwise you have to go this path:
https://xdevs.com/article/kx-ref/

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57795 on: May 05, 2020, 06:41:59 pm »
Nothing wrong with it, I imagine but:

Simple LM399H based Open source 10V Reference board, Measured Using recently calibrated 6.5 Digit 34465A
34465A has these specifcation for 10V range
24Hour :  0.0010% + 0.0003
90Days :  0.0020% + 0.0004
1Year    :  0.0030% + 0.0004

Means 400uV uncertainty on the DMM he used to calibrate. I think. So if its 200uV out (as I think) that makes sense.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57796 on: May 05, 2020, 06:52:26 pm »
In More Serious News: COVID-19 has evolved; successor SARS-CoV-2 has become dominant form of Coronaviris pathogen in current pandemic, carrying increased viral loading, possibly even able to infect COVID-19 survivors.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB13CHNP?m=en-us

And as if we weren't already knee-deep on the hoopla, more study indicate that it has a GI component as well; carrying the likelihood of another infection vector.  :o

https://scitechdaily.com/coronavirus-sars-cov-2-infects-cells-of-the-intestine-and-multiplies-there/

It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.
:-\

mnem
 :wtf:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57797 on: May 05, 2020, 07:16:09 pm »
In other news:

A man with one GPSDO knows the 10MHz reference, a man with two is never sure...   :scared:   :-DD

Roughly twelve ours of persistence, channel one is a Samsung UCCM-LPK module, channel two (also trigger-source) is a Trimble Thunderbolt:

Do I interpret the persistence correctly that the frequency drift never exceeds one cycle ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57798 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:16 pm »
 :-BROKE
RTX2070 rest in pieces
 :-BROKE

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57799 on: May 05, 2020, 08:08:28 pm »

mnem
 >:D

I'm being PAID to time-nut. I was shopping for groceries this afternoon when work phone rang, and it was one of the architects who wanted to talk IEEE1588 nuances in our new house master clock setup.  For some of us, this is what we do all day.

No, it's not helping to decelerate the TEA. Rather the opposite.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf