Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16699985 times)

shakalnokturn, Gertjan, wkb and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57650 on: May 03, 2020, 07:32:27 pm »
Indeed. Got its own ozone hole and 0 star Euro NCAP rating too  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57651 on: May 03, 2020, 07:38:28 pm »
my other car is also a V8  :-DD

even a British one ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57652 on: May 03, 2020, 07:41:07 pm »

even a British one ...
The good thing about British cars is that the fuel economy is terrible on paper, but usually ends up being really good. Very little tyre wear too.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57653 on: May 03, 2020, 07:41:26 pm »
Easy question: what is the wavy semi-horizontal line by the red part, and why is that liquid illegal under international Protocols?

I received this in the post today, courtesy of Equipnet (may they rot in hell) and ice-tea :)

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57654 on: May 03, 2020, 07:44:56 pm »
true about the fuel economy. I have been driving the car at about 11.5 l/100km.

Not bad for that gizmo with its 416 hp ...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57655 on: May 03, 2020, 07:45:49 pm »

even a British one ...
The good thing about British cars is that the fuel economy is terrible on paper, but usually ends up being really good. Very little tyre wear too.

Fuel economy metrics are some of the most stupid metrics. What really matters is the fuel used.

After all, it is easy for someone travel between two places in London to manage >50mpg (even in normal times). All they have to do is go via Manchester at a steady 56mph :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #57656 on: May 03, 2020, 07:48:44 pm »
Easy question: what is the wavy semi-horizontal line by the red part, and why is that liquid illegal under international Protocols?

I received this in the post today, courtesy of Equipnet (may they rot in hell) and ice-tea :) ...

... may he not rot in hell  ;)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57657 on: May 03, 2020, 07:49:19 pm »
used for long distance, normally cruising at 130 - 150 km/h with short sprints to 230 - 250 ...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #57658 on: May 03, 2020, 07:57:39 pm »
Fuel economy metrics are some of the most stupid metrics. What really matters is the fuel used.

After all, it is easy for someone travel between two places in London to manage >50mpg (even in normal times). All they have to do is go via Manchester at a steady 56mph :)
I take it you're referring to the manufacturer figures? As far as I'm concerned the total miles driven divided by the total fuel used is the fuel economy.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:06:50 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57659 on: May 03, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »

I received this in the post today, courtesy of Equipnet (may they rot in hell) and ice-tea :) ...

... may he not rot in hell  ;)

There's a place reserved for him you in the -2nd circle of hell :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57660 on: May 03, 2020, 08:16:15 pm »
I assume Equipnet turned out to be morons then?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57661 on: May 03, 2020, 08:28:29 pm »
I assume Equipnet turned out to be morons then?

They told me, very explicitly and repeatedly, that you could win all items in a bid packet, or none, but not some. Guess what happened.

Still, looking at the P6015 fleabay prices, I'm not worried :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57662 on: May 03, 2020, 08:35:31 pm »
I suspect they lost by their own rules  :palm:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57663 on: May 03, 2020, 08:46:44 pm »

I received this in the post today, courtesy of Equipnet (may they rot in hell) and ice-tea :)

I always wondered about using transformer oils in those instead of Freon.
Wonder if there's now synthetic oils capable of sufficient insulation that wouldn't muck with signal fidelity.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57664 on: May 03, 2020, 08:53:06 pm »
I've seen people run PCs in synthetic oil. You'd expect that would have similar levels of buggery to signal integrity on the bus and they seem quite happy.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57665 on: May 03, 2020, 09:27:07 pm »
I was not talking about exotic cars, just about normal everyday family cars. To me a city car is small, easy to park, small engined but capable of the 20-30MPH speed limits and thus economical and normally carrying just 1 occupant. Family car capable of carrying up to 4 average sized people and capable of meeting the national speed limits while still being reasonably  economical and an exotic car is something that is capable of far more in terms of sheer speed, performance but can be a single seater or more and would normally be used for sheer pleasure or a statement piece.

I certainly would not want to drive a city car on a trip from say London to Bristol but I'd gladly do that in a family car. You may have other views however I suspect that not many would would use a city car for journeys which involved speed limits of 40mph and higher.
Have you driven any of the modern city cars? They've become surprisingly mature cars. Long distance driving tends to be somewhat more comfortable in a larger car of equivalent age, but the difference isn't nearly as profound as it used to be. When I add in the additional fuel and maintenance costs I'm not sure which I prefer. The city car is definitely more fun.
While I could not for a single moment believe that driving a smart car would be anywhere as near the comfortable experience you get from driving say a Golf and certainly not my car which I can get into the high 40+mpg from it, I can concede that they have matured a bit. That said I seriously doubt however that would be any good for me as I'm 1.9m tall.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #57666 on: May 03, 2020, 09:35:05 pm »

All this is to create a saturated FREON atmosphere that allows the probe to go to full 40kV instead of ca. 12kV when filled with air.
FREON is also a much better conductor of heat and this is needed to cool the divider resistor at very high voltages.
Problem: FREON is *banned* under ROHS laws, IMHO. You can still get it officially, but only 1) you're authorized 2) you fill in a ton of paperwork 3) pay a boutique prize 4) proove that it will not evade to the environment.
Plan B: Try to find an old refrigerator. Some of the old gas fills could be usable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57667 on: May 03, 2020, 09:40:46 pm »
I was not talking about exotic cars, just about normal everyday family cars. To me a city car is small, easy to park, small engined but capable of the 20-30MPH speed limits and thus economical and normally carrying just 1 occupant. Family car capable of carrying up to 4 average sized people and capable of meeting the national speed limits while still being reasonably  economical and an exotic car is something that is capable of far more in terms of sheer speed, performance but can be a single seater or more and would normally be used for sheer pleasure or a statement piece.

I certainly would not want to drive a city car on a trip from say London to Bristol but I'd gladly do that in a family car. You may have other views however I suspect that not many would would use a city car for journeys which involved speed limits of 40mph and higher.
Have you driven any of the modern city cars? They've become surprisingly mature cars. Long distance driving tends to be somewhat more comfortable in a larger car of equivalent age, but the difference isn't nearly as profound as it used to be. When I add in the additional fuel and maintenance costs I'm not sure which I prefer. The city car is definitely more fun.

Think mine is classified as a city car (Citroen c3). Absolutely great long distance. Also only 1.0L and runs on gnats farts. I haven’t put any petrol in it since February now  :-DD. Think in the 2 years I’ve had it, it’s cost me £520 inc full service. My fathers Range Rover that he had would eat 3x that every service.
Nope, the city car from Citroen is called the C1 and now there is the all new Ami (electric city car with a range of just 40miles)  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57668 on: May 03, 2020, 09:41:46 pm »
my city car is a small Ford, a 2003 Expedition ...
When "fuel economy" means buying enough fuel to keep the economy afloat.  :-DD
That ford is more like a Range Rover.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57669 on: May 03, 2020, 10:04:35 pm »
On the Rossman front, to be brutally fair to the guy, his beef is not just not Apple, it is the whole right to repair across the whole spectrum of goods, regardless of the makers name / brand. As he rightly states, years ago no matter what you brought in the electrical / electronic arena, it almost certainly came with a schematic printed and attached inside or on the back of the equipment or even the owners manual / instruction book.

Yes I have seen some dodgy repairs that he has done BUT what we don't actually know, is what does he tell his customers about the repair, he may for all we know, tell them that it is nothing other then a temporary fix and recommend that they purchase a replacement soon before it goes again.

Having watched a lot of his repairs, he does go to lengths to explain to the viewer why he does what he does normally, and he says that he would rather fit a replacement part if only Apple would make that part available, such as a motherboard when tracks have been destroyed by corrosion etc, so he is not quite the cowboy that he is portrayed to be.

In all honesty, I have done many of the types of bodges that he has performed on damaged tracks  by soldering reinforcing wires along the tracks pathway on multiple tracks to repair PCB's in gear that have suffered breaks due to being dropped or other rough handling and those items are still going strong today, many years ago I patched them up.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57670 on: May 03, 2020, 10:12:26 pm »
Yeah the issue is that I’m sure your repairs weren’t done on or near GHz differential signal paths in hardware without ECC RAM....

It might look like it works in Rossman’s repair but signal integrity is data integrity and if that’s gone then what’s the point.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57671 on: May 03, 2020, 10:21:17 pm »

All this is to create a saturated FREON atmosphere that allows the probe to go to full 40kV instead of ca. 12kV when filled with air.
FREON is also a much better conductor of heat and this is needed to cool the divider resistor at very high voltages.
Problem: FREON is *banned* under ROHS laws, IMHO. You can still get it officially, but only 1) you're authorized 2) you fill in a ton of paperwork 3) pay a boutique prize 4) proove that it will not evade to the environment.
Plan B: Try to find an old refrigerator. Some of the old gas fills could be usable.
He should hold that stuff dear as I do with my three GOOD fire extinguishers.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57672 on: May 03, 2020, 10:28:37 pm »

"F gases" appear to be banned in new products. Apart from ROHS, there is the Montreal protocol.

The P6015A uses silicone.

Personally I wouldn't trust an old fridge's gas to keep me safe!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57673 on: May 03, 2020, 10:34:10 pm »
In that assumption you would be correct, but equally I'm sure that he understands just where that would be critical, but for the most part, those repairs are in the main to provide a connection to a chip where liquid damage has eroded the pad that the chip needs to connect to and I'm pretty sure that those would not be a critical path. I have seen plenty of these critical paths on The Signal Path channel and these critical paths are normally easy to spot and not normally chip to chip short traces.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57674 on: May 03, 2020, 10:34:51 pm »

even a British one ...
A-M Vantage?
(turning chrome yellow with envy)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:36:42 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf