Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16702136 times)

BILLPOD, patrickvdb, RFMWdude, wkb, Robert763 and 96 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57575 on: May 02, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »
The Europeans are still talking booze on Discord and I am having my first coffee  8)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57576 on: May 02, 2020, 10:14:47 pm »
OMG, it's or rather, it was discord day and I totally missed it  :palm:, sorry I did that everyone, I apologize.

Just ran a Passmark 9 test on my machine. AMD 8350 8 core running at 4.1GHz, 9699, a little slow compared to these Ryzen CPU's, but not that shabby in real terms.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #57577 on: May 02, 2020, 10:16:50 pm »
Espresso machine is warming up and there is some early signs of 'life' on Discord https://discord.gg/pSNSDp
Having a second cup but no Discord for a very pissed off tautech today.

I will send you a 'spare' possum for Lead treatment to help your mood if you like  >:D
:-DD
Thanks but I've already a member in my sights !  :rant:

Same, Same, most likely rabid screeching and annoying bouncing of the Tin roof of the Threads  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57578 on: May 02, 2020, 10:20:59 pm »
@nixiefreqq did you pony up for the Curve Tracer in the end? Same seller has some other interesting toys too  :)

nope.  got distracted by return loss bridge sweeps and tweaks to the 1296 yagi and missed out on it. 

good thing to.... because you almost got me.  (was gonna' bid on it just to have a bought one to compare to my home made crap one). 
free range primate

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57579 on: May 02, 2020, 10:26:11 pm »

damn....can smell that from here.  good eats!   heading up the mountain in 30 minutes for the spring microwave sprint.   only have 1296 Mhz but hell........need to gtf out of the house.    will rove between fm19hx and fn10ha.  even if i only make 2 contacts.......it will be a chance to talk to someone other than swmbo.

Yeah.... about their arthritis, "why is everybody a asshole except me...?", and the rising cost of subjects a, b, and c... Then you'll come home and wonder how we've survived this long as a species. :palm:   Please don't kick the dog. ;)

mnem
What do ants carelessly crush underfoot...?
[/quote]

worked some gentlemen down into central maryland.  did not discuss arthritis,  prostate exams, or our cpap machines.

the dog was not harmed.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57580 on: May 02, 2020, 10:28:32 pm »
Doh. Missed Discord.  I’m losing track of what day is what at the moment. Also got my teeth into this pile of C and am enjoying myself. Managed to get a clean run out of valgrind now and the early bits of a test suite.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57581 on: May 02, 2020, 11:39:29 pm »
Doh. Missed Discord.  I’m losing track of what day is what at the moment. Also got my teeth into this pile of C and am enjoying myself. Managed to get a clean run out of valgrind now and the early bits of a test suite.

I'm into self-punishment, so am trying to get OpenAFS to compile on FreeBSD 12.1, which, once I'd gotten rid of the small bumps stops with

error: 'malloc' macro redefined [-Werror,-Wmacro-redefined].

Yay for Autoconf, it'll fix all those things. Or not. Because.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57582 on: May 03, 2020, 12:35:01 am »
Quote from: mnementh
damn....can smell that from here.  good eats!   heading up the mountain in 30 minutes for the spring microwave sprint.   only have 1296 Mhz but hell........need to gtf out of the house.    will rove between fm19hx and fn10ha.  even if i only make 2 contacts.......it will be a chance to talk to someone other than swmbo.

Yeah.... about their arthritis, "why is everybody a asshole except me...?", and the rising cost of subjects a, b, and c... Then you'll come home and wonder how we've survived this long as a species. :palm:   Please don't kick the dog. ;)

mnem
What do ants carelessly crush underfoot...?

worked some gentlemen down into central maryland.  did not discuss arthritis,  prostate exams, or our cpap machines. the dog was not harmed.

that's good, but much more importantly... does the owner bite...?  :-DD

OMG, it's or rather, it was discord day and I totally missed it  :palm:, sorry I did that everyone, I apologize.

Just ran a Passmark 9 test on my machine. AMD 8350 8 core running at 4.1GHz, 9699, a little slow compared to these Ryzen CPU's, but not that shabby in real terms.

*blerk*

I missed the Discord too; but I have a good excuse. I was engaged in a time-sensitive excursion to collect certain merchandise while the window of opportunity remained open...

...and just like that, I am 32GB HEAVY and US$125.54 lighter in the wallet.  :-+

Good deal, sez I. Now I just need to go through and re-optimize my CPU/GPU Overclocking, since I nuked all those profiles when I installed the RTX 2800 Super.

My Passmark 10 graphics marks are totally out to lunch due to being penalized for some tests unable to run which flash by so fast I can't see them, but CPUMark is 24072 (95th%ile) & MemoryMark is 3649(96th%ile). We'll see once I get a chance to commit some tweakage & investigate the error messages.

mnem
*family couch-tuber time*
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 02:43:50 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57583 on: May 03, 2020, 02:15:41 am »
Apparently, and to my surprise, if the lungs become bad then sleeping on your stomach does them less damage. I don't know if that applies to sleeping on your side. Less reliably, I've heard an anecdote of  someone that avoided hospitalisation for pneumonia when he was 10. His technique was: "I was laying face down on my bed, with my head and part of my chest hanging over a trash can as I coughed up gobs of the infection. I was quite sore for about two weeks afterwards. The coughing moved it, and the pressure from the mattress reduced the pain. " Make of that what you want/dare!

During bouts of severe acute asthma I've often ended up on all fours to ease my breathing. The position that feels worst during acute respiratory distress is on your back. The ambulance guys seem to get this, and generally put you in a chair when they are moving you around and you can at least lean forward with elbows on knees, the doctors and nurses don't and are always asking you to lie back.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57584 on: May 03, 2020, 02:17:19 am »
Husband's fever approaching 39, he has a headache.  And a pre-existing heart condition. EMT called ...

Bugger! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57585 on: May 03, 2020, 02:24:05 am »
Just don't get an ASrock board. It's shit. If I was going to build another "affordable compute" node I'd hit an Asus B450M based board and a Ryzen 7.

The "machine that just won't die" here is based on an ASRock board. Bought second hand, used as a trial hackintosh for a while and then put into 24/7/365 use as a Linux server in March 2013 and, barring power cuts, one dead PSU and one dead disk, has been up ever since.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57586 on: May 03, 2020, 02:42:25 am »
That was then; this is now.   ASRock has earned a bad rep over the last decade or so.  :-- Or maybe, everybody else has stepped up with better hardware made from better components, and they’re still milking the “bad caps” turnover angle.   :-//

mnem
:=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57587 on: May 03, 2020, 04:20:18 am »
Buildzoid does a rundown an the various x570 boards on youtube. While I am not into hardcore overclock his analysis regarding vrms and thermals does hold some merit.
Which is the reason why I went for the Asus.
As I said, the prime p is about the least expensive board that does not suck. Do not get a gigabyte below the aorus elite. With MSI the unify and the Ace are hot picks. While I like ASRock the do seem to lag behind in x570.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57588 on: May 03, 2020, 08:11:52 am »
So a buddy asks if I wanna big cutting torch.......does a bear shite in the woods was my reply.  >:D
A few days later to my great delight he turns up with one of these:  :o

Harris 62-5EL 21" torch

https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Equipment/Torches/Straight-Cutting/Model-62-5E.aspx

You little beauty, wonder if it's an LPG Oxy model......yep specified as multi fuel and it has the 2 piece LPG Oxy tip comprising of 01/2 VVC & VVCU inner and outer and spec'ed for up to 1 1/4" cutting. And with Harris flashback arrestors ! You treble little beauty !  :clap:
Tip chart attached.

Always wanted one of these after using a mates Harris torch when helping him with a big sheet piling job some years back.

Today rainy so some time spent down the shed attempting to get this fire breathing dwagon up and running for some upcoming steel cutting chores.
But first find a suitable LPG regulator as these LPG Harris torches require just 2 PSI and barbeque regulators just don't supply sufficient pressure but luckily amongst the never throw away stash, a spare pair of old but serviceable OXY Acetylene regulators.  :phew:

The 2 PSI required hardly registers on a 0-15 working PSI Acetylene gauge however adjustments down this low are indeed discernible but when attempting to couple this Acetylene regulator to an LPG bottle the mongrel didn't fit !  :rant:
Both LH thread but different sizes ?  :wtf:

Didn't see that coming but luckily the brass tube the bottle nut runs on was the same diameter on each regulator so with a dismantle and mix and match performed allowed the Acetylene regulator fitment to the LPG bottle.  :phew: again !

Question time, any issues I need be aware of using an Acetylene regulator for LPG ?
Or should I bodge a barbeque regulator to deliver the required 2 PSI ?

Tomorrows task, shove some Oxy into the mix and really see what it can do !  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:13:23 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57589 on: May 03, 2020, 08:32:31 am »

I'm into self-punishment, so am trying to get OpenAFS to compile on FreeBSD 12.1, which, once I'd gotten rid of the small bumps stops with

error: 'malloc' macro redefined [-Werror,-Wmacro-redefined].

Yay for Autoconf, it'll fix all those things. Or not. Because.

Kerberos. Shudder.   :scared:

That was then; this is now.   ASRock has earned a bad rep over the last decade or so.  :-- Or maybe, everybody else has stepped up with better hardware made from better components, and they’re still milking the “bad caps” turnover angle.   :-//

mnem
:=\

I would agree with this. While the board is stable it had some interesting mechanical issues particularly with standoff placement which are inexcusable in 2019 when it was built. Also the heatsink over the buck converters was loose.  :--

I may replace it (and the power supply) just for peace of mind but I’m finding it hard to justify the cost.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57590 on: May 03, 2020, 09:00:02 am »
Tautech, I know you should use 'T' type fuel hose for alternative fuels (the common 'R' hose gets dry rotted by the oils in the propane). The R hose won't immediately explode, but it will have a much shorter lifespan than it would if used for acetylene.  (These are U.S. hose designations; I've no idea if they apply worldwide or not so it may be different there.  Just be aware, if you're not already, that there is a difference in hose types.)

As for the acetylene regulator on LPG, I'd have to say you'll probably be ok for a while at least.  My ex was into lampwork beading, which is done with an oxy-propane bench burner.  I set her up with an acetylene regulator in about 2006, and between the two of us put a lot of propane through it over the next 6-7 years until she decided to punch out.  For the most part it was fine, but towards the end it seemed that it was getting a bit sticky and inclined to creep when the torch was turned off - there would be a bit of a puff of higher pressure when you re-lit, but it would then settle down and regulate normally while you were drawing from it.  (Definitely not something you want to happen with acetylene, but no biggie with the propane). I don't know if it was caused by damage from using it for propane or if it was just getting to the point it was due for an overhaul, and I've no idea what she did with it after she left.

Not much of a data point given the sample size of one, and given that LPG has butane mixed with propane, YMMV, but that's what insight I can give you.  Have fun with your new toy - oxy-fuel cutting is pretty amazing.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57591 on: May 03, 2020, 09:11:31 am »
Oh, and here in the US at least, the fittings on acetylene and propane bottles are the same (CGA 510); a quick search didn't come up with anything specifically mentioning LPG connections, and never having used it I'm unfamiliar with what is normally on an LPG bottle.  As before, this is based on what we have in the US; NZ may be completely different.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57592 on: May 03, 2020, 09:19:07 am »
I am just doing some tests with intel i5 9600k vs Ryzen 5 3600x plus memory compatibility on Ryzen (I have 64GB Vengeance sitting here somewhere)
Will post the passmark figures ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57593 on: May 03, 2020, 10:22:11 am »
Tautech, I know you should use 'T' type fuel hose for alternative fuels (the common 'R' hose gets dry rotted by the oils in the propane). The R hose won't immediately explode, but it will have a much shorter lifespan than it would if used for acetylene.  (These are U.S. hose designations; I've no idea if they apply worldwide or not so it may be different there.  Just be aware, if you're not already, that there is a difference in hose types.)

As for the acetylene regulator on LPG, I'd have to say you'll probably be ok for a while at least.  My ex was into lampwork beading, which is done with an oxy-propane bench burner.  I set her up with an acetylene regulator in about 2006, and between the two of us put a lot of propane through it over the next 6-7 years until she decided to punch out.  For the most part it was fine, but towards the end it seemed that it was getting a bit sticky and inclined to creep when the torch was turned off - there would be a bit of a puff of higher pressure when you re-lit, but it would then settle down and regulate normally while you were drawing from it.  (Definitely not something you want to happen with acetylene, but no biggie with the propane). I don't know if it was caused by damage from using it for propane or if it was just getting to the point it was due for an overhaul, and I've no idea what she did with it after she left.

Not much of a data point given the sample size of one, and given that LPG has butane mixed with propane, YMMV, but that's what insight I can give you.  Have fun with your new toy - oxy-fuel cutting is pretty amazing.

-Pat
Thanks Pat for those comments.
The hose pair I'll use is a spanking new one so I'll do some hunting to see if it's Propane rated and if not certainly keep an eye on it.
In just the few minutes I had the LPG connected I saw the Acetylene regulator creep a little as they often do however it didn't appear to be as bad as some I've seen .....and owned !  :o
Maybe it needs a strip and clean and as I've got good sets of O-rings and such that might be added to the 'morrows jobs.
I got my first gas welding set nearly 50 yrs ago when barely a teenager so I'm pretty comfortable with their idoscynacies however LPG/Propane Oxy is quite new to me other than using a mates set a time or two.

Here LPG bottle fittings are threaded inside and out with the inside fitting seemingly the same size as Acetylene but it's just a shade smaller ......I did mic them to confirm so but didn't take note of the measurements. IIRC Acetylene was 1" LH thread.
Anyways, by tomorrow I could be challenging the dwagon !   :scared: 
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57594 on: May 03, 2020, 10:39:19 am »
Puff, the magic dwagon, ...

sorry, could not resist.

In other news hubby's fever has gone down. Test tomorrow morning 0800.
in yet other news: Beware of corsair vengeance memory and Ryzen. They don't like each other.
I have some preliminary benchmarks, will post them later on. 9600k vs. Ryzen 5 3600x

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57595 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56:09 am »
Puff, the magic dwagon, ...

sorry, could not resist.

In other news hubby's fever has gone down. Test tomorrow morning 0800.
in yet other news: Beware of corsair vengeance memory and Ryzen. They don't like each other.
I have some preliminary benchmarks, will post them later on. 9600k vs. Ryzen 5 3600x

Temp, down is good news, so it might just be flu after all  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #57596 on: May 03, 2020, 10:59:57 am »
Ebay fraudster is back, user name "zandonai48"

This would be worth a very lowball offer:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TTI-5-5-Digit-Computing-Multimeter-1906-Thurlby-Thandar-TESTED/223996875711
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:10:18 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57597 on: May 03, 2020, 11:10:01 am »
@BU508A Here is an alternative to Crabbies Ginger Beer, I was drinking this last night, quite good really

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:22:08 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #57598 on: May 03, 2020, 11:10:59 am »
@BU508A Here is an alternative to Crabbies Ginger Beer, I was drinking this last night, quite good really

Looks nice, where can I get it?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57599 on: May 03, 2020, 11:20:17 am »
Currently on offer in Lidl's part of their beer festival £1.29 a bottle.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/our-products/wines-beers-spirits/beers
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:28:26 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf