Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16704125 times)

Gertjan, wkb, dustooff, chronos42, factory, Kosmic, Ismo and 137 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57525 on: May 02, 2020, 10:43:08 am »
@nixiefreqq did you pony up for the Curve Tracer in the end? Same seller has some other interesting toys too  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57526 on: May 02, 2020, 11:55:52 am »
   I have about 1/2 of my recent purchases from Aliexpress either in the country or delivered in under two weeks so all is about 'normal'. My late delivery from 300km away by Australia Post took 12 days to deliver  :horse:   Saturday night lockdown 'junk food', there was Salad to balance out the Carbs  >:D

Looks yummy... as long as that's "onn-yonn" and not "bits o' squid" hiding under those breaded cracklins...
   :P

damn....can smell that from here.  good eats!   heading up the mountain in 30 minutes for the spring microwave sprint.   only have 1296 Mhz but hell........need to gtf out of the house.    will rove between fm19hx and fn10ha.  even if i only make 2 contacts.......it will be a chance to talk to someone other than swmbo.

Yeah.... about their arthritis, "why is everybody a asshole except me...?", and the rising cost of subjects a, b, and c... Then you'll come home and wonder how we've survived this long as a species. :palm:   Please don't kick the dog. ;)

mnem
What do ants carelessly crush underfoot...?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:04:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57527 on: May 02, 2020, 12:06:38 pm »
Southern Calamari so yep Squid by any other name. Nom Nom Nom .... Burp :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57528 on: May 02, 2020, 12:09:30 pm »
You suck. Out. Loud.  :-DD

mnem
*blerk*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #57529 on: May 02, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
Looks yummy... as long as that's "onn-yonn" and not "bits o' squid" hiding under those breaded cracklins...[/b][/i][/color]   :P

Right with you there, bean, one of my favorite eats is fried bit o' squid, especially the head and tentacles-just some salt-you can keep the marinara.  I have yet to find a restaurant that makes it as good as me.  :popcorn:  There used to be a small Italian restaurant that would allow you to decide if you wanted just the heads, just the rings or a mix of both.  Always got the heads.  Sadly, they have been closed for a couple of years now. :(
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57530 on: May 02, 2020, 12:29:11 pm »
You  both suck. Out. Loud.  :-DD

mnem
*blerk and a half*

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57531 on: May 02, 2020, 12:34:13 pm »
Looks yummy... as long as that's "onn-yonn" and not "bits o' squid" hiding under those breaded cracklins...[/b][/i][/color]   :P

Right with you there, bean, one of my favorite eats is fried bit o' squid, especially the head and tentacles-just some salt-you can keep the marinara.  I have yet to find a restaurant that makes it as good as me.  :popcorn:  There used to be a small Italian restaurant that would allow you to decide if you wanted just the heads, just the rings or a mix of both.  Always got the heads.  Sadly, they have been closed for a couple of years now. :(

We don't get the little baby octopus around here that are the ones you find in Greek or Italian cooking so the Squid is our local alternate. You will find most so called restaurants use 'marinara Mix'  :P rather than do it properly. Even when I cook Pealla rather than do the Prawn thing (20o0km non local) I only use local Fish, Mussels and Calamari in the seafood one.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57532 on: May 02, 2020, 01:07:19 pm »
Decided to lose my DG822. I don't like it  :--. Siglent will get the business once the cash has been returned.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #57533 on: May 02, 2020, 01:56:07 pm »
Decided to lose my DG822. I don't like it  :--. Siglent will get the business once the cash has been returned.  :-+
just curious: Did you have jitter problems on those ? I did not buy one because of this.
The DG1000Z series does not seem to have this problem.

The ergonomics is another downside. What good is a lab equipment that cannot be stacked ?
I solved the coffee cup problem with a special DG800 cup fitting on top:  8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57534 on: May 02, 2020, 02:11:53 pm »
I had a DG1022Z and that had some weird problems on fast but rare edges. The DG822 I didn't find anything at least < 25MHz.

I like your solution with the cup holder  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57535 on: May 02, 2020, 02:12:48 pm »
damn. Hubby got home and is shiver-shaking with a fever.

just what I need ...

Did some food-conjuring, pasta sauce from ground beef, mushrooms, feta, hot peppers and hacked tomatoes ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57536 on: May 02, 2020, 02:15:58 pm »
Not good  :--. Good luck to you both

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57537 on: May 02, 2020, 02:20:23 pm »
thanks

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57538 on: May 02, 2020, 02:30:31 pm »

Oh dear. Good luck.

Apparently, and to my surprise, if the lungs become bad then sleeping on your stomach does them less damage. I don't know if that applies to sleeping on your side. Less reliably, I've heard an anecdote of  someone that avoided hospitalisation for pneumonia when he was 10. His technique was: "I was laying face down on my bed, with my head and part of my chest hanging over a trash can as I coughed up gobs of the infection. I was quite sore for about two weeks afterwards. The coughing moved it, and the pressure from the mattress reduced the pain. " Make of that what you want/dare!

Having recapped my hp8256b spectrum analyser which is a mechanical marvel let alone an electronic marvel, I'm now moving to think about replacing my old desktop.

If you have time then hints/tips/warnings would be welcome. My preliminary thinking is something along the lines of Ryzen 7 3700X, Asus ATX motherboard, undecided x470/x570, and the principal o/s will be *buntu (probably xUbuntu), reliability more important than ultimate speed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:36:47 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57539 on: May 02, 2020, 02:33:00 pm »

just what I need ...

Did some food-conjuring, pasta sauce from ground beef, mushrooms, feta, hot peppers and hacked tomatoes ...

Oh no, that is not good news, take care and good luck to you both  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57540 on: May 02, 2020, 02:36:22 pm »

Oh dear. Good luck.

Apparently, and to my surprise, if the lungs become bad then sleeping on your stomach does them less damage. I don't know if that applies to sleeping on your side. Less reliably, I've heard an anecdote of  someone that avoided hospitalisation for pneumonia when he was 10. His technique was: "I was laying face down on my bed, with my head and part of my chest hanging over a trash can as I coughed up gobs of the infection. I was quite sore for about two weeks afterwards. The coughing moved it, and the pressure from the mattress reduced the pain. " Make of that what you want/dare!

Having recapped my hp8256b spectrum analyser which is a mechanical marvel let alone an electronic marvel, I'm now moving to think about replacing my old desktop.

If you have time then hints/tips/warnings would be welcome. My preliminary thinking is something along the lines of Ryzen 7 3700X, Asus motherboard, undecided x470/x570, and the principal o/s will be *buntu (probably xUbuntu).

With your desktop unless you really need the poke the 3600 (non X) is much better value or even save some real $ and go a B450/2700X for 80%+ performance.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57541 on: May 02, 2020, 02:43:52 pm »

If you have time then hints/tips/warnings would be welcome. My preliminary thinking is something along the lines of Ryzen 7 3700X, Asus motherboard, undecided x470/x570, and the principal o/s will be *buntu (probably xUbuntu).

With your desktop unless you really need the poke the 3600 (non X) is much better value or even save some real $ and go a B450/2700X for 80%+ performance.

Thanks, it is certainly worth considering.

BTW, I've added an extra wish to my post: I prefer solid reliable execution to ultimate performance. (And I'll look for an ATX board to fit into an old case)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57542 on: May 02, 2020, 03:00:28 pm »
My combo of 3700X and a B450 is nearing a year old BTW and has worked great even through the hot Summer weather but I put is in a large high airflow case. Details here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-computing/$1000-usd-cad-and-rendering-workhorse-getting-the-balance-right/msg2516457/#msg2516457

For me it is what I hope a 4-5 year+ no upgrade solution. As of now nothing I wished I had done differently and there is little benifit to be had with the 570 MB's unless you need the PCI4 for SSD drives.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:18:31 pm by beanflying »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57543 on: May 02, 2020, 03:10:26 pm »
B450M + Ryzen 5 2600X here. Does the job! Also it runs almost 100% silently full whack with a suitably large heatsink.

Just don't get an ASrock board. It's shit. If I was going to build another "affordable compute" node I'd hit an Asus B450M based board and a Ryzen 7.

Edit: just to add, they are completely rock solid and problem free past the power supply teething issues I had so I'd avoid Be! Quiet power supplies. Stay away from Nvidia graphics if you're on Linux though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:30:02 pm by bd139 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57544 on: May 02, 2020, 03:35:44 pm »
Husband's fever approaching 39, he has a headache.  And a pre-existing heart condition. EMT called ...
As for Ryzen, I tried from x370 to x570. The Asus prime x570 with a 3600x and 64 gb DDR4 3600 CL16 is the fastest home use system I have built so far. Nem speed is important for Ryzen. Get better Ram and a 3600, it does make a difference.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57545 on: May 02, 2020, 03:39:06 pm »
I had a DG1022Z and that had some weird problems on fast but rare edges. The DG822 I didn't find anything at least < 25MHz.

Im curious what problem that was. Faulty unit ? Or some DDS artefact ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57546 on: May 02, 2020, 03:42:12 pm »

DDS artifact. Thread about it here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dd1022z-ugly-sq-wave-transition-at-very-low-freq-setting/

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57547 on: May 02, 2020, 04:04:57 pm »

DDS artifact. Thread about it here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dd1022z-ugly-sq-wave-transition-at-very-low-freq-setting/

Mine do the same, but I hardly ever use them at very low frequencies. In pulse mode, they come up with a message that the risetime will be at least 90ns if the frequency is very low.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:55:39 pm by Wolfgang »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57548 on: May 02, 2020, 04:15:26 pm »
Husband's fever approaching 39, he has a headache.  And a pre-existing heart condition. EMT called ...

Bad news! I'm feeling with you as half of my family (my own, birth-wise and my family-in-law, I'd say) belong to the "Risikogruppe".

Stay safe and best wishes to you and your husband!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:21:49 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57549 on: May 02, 2020, 04:22:36 pm »
thanks, he is on his way to the hospital, his employer is informed (he would have had the night shift). We'll have to wait for that CoVid test, and given the situation I am back in quarantine. Cannot jump around in a pharma plant as long as that is not resolved ...

Bloody hell.
Currently at least he has no breathing problems, but those may come. We'll see. They are bringing him into a covid specialty clinic, my guess is that they will test him and if it's not covid but flu sent him to the university hospital in Mayence.

Now I gotta call my boss ... *sigh*

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf