Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16669070 times)

themadhippy, factory, Robert763, 6h8c, powerflux and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57275 on: April 29, 2020, 03:20:41 am »
The new one is "Nanovna version 2" it goes up to ~3 GHz. Not sure of the staturs as of now you can google it to see prototypes.

https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/nanovna-v2/

Thanks. Of course, I’m just in time to be too late; but I signed up on the waitlist to be notified when it’s back in stock.

Also D/L’d the manual and skimmed it; looks like the UI is quite a bit more capable than I thought at first. Tight!

https://github.com/nanovna/NanoVNA-QT/raw/master/ug1101.pdf

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a guitar mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57276 on: April 29, 2020, 04:30:46 am »
My school calculator was a Sharp EL-512 which I still have and use.

Mine is a EL-506P, which I still have and use. On its original set of batteries. From 1984.

But, bc and dc get way much more use, along with xcalc. As, you can see, Free42, which should be on every computing device, whether mobile or stationary, country or western iOS or Android, also competes for my attention.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #57277 on: April 29, 2020, 05:20:32 am »
This is a good point. My setup is really ghetto right now (the antenna standing on the side of my pool). I'm planning to put an antenna on the roof but none of my GPS antenna are working with my Rohde & Schwarz ED170MP. The ED170MP is supplying 15V but my antenna only goes to 5V max. So I tried supplying 5V externally with a biastee but look like the ED170MP doesn't like that. I need to contact Meinberg (the producer of the ED170MP) to see if they can recommend an antenna.

The Meinberg receivers typically have a fairly advanced antenna, in which they downmix the received signal to ~300MHz and ship that over the RG58 for quite some length; IIRC you can go to just below 100m, but that's from memory and not from readily available manuals :-DD .  If you wishneed to cross a TEMPEST or EMP barrier or simply are far away from a good antenna position they've got a optical fibre interface too. Multimode  :( of course. (my position is that friends do not let friends install multimode cabling. It is a duty of honour to keep the world free from the echo-chambers of the optical industry.)

This means that a Meinberg family receiver typically expects down-mixed input and will frown at the output of a normal GPS antenna.

Do note that I've never worked with the OEM modules sold to others, but only with the systems receivers used for NTP, PTP and other timing supply systems.  They might have thought differently for some or all of their OEM customers.

Finally, do get in touch with the people at Meinberg. They are one of the most accessible companies in the TE world, and in my repeated experience they will go the extra mile in supporting their devices and helping you.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #57278 on: April 29, 2020, 05:32:06 am »

Older models use the datacard or a CF card to store data; current ones (like my dad has) have cellular data because they are no longer sold, exactly, but rather provided "as a service" and billed accordingly. They can monitor your usage history (including apnea events, non-sleep and REM sleep), change all the config, probably even brick the thing remotely if you don't pay.[/b][/i][/color] :palm:

Cheers,

mnem
*currently braving the madness that is PronterFace*

Not sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying you can't buy a CPAP or you can't buy one with storage cards?    I bought mine from 1-800-CPAP last year, a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation Auto.  Mine has bluetooth connectivity with an SD card for storage that works with the Dream mapper app but I don't use it.  It doesn't use cellular service.

I dunno then. Maybe it depends on how you pay for your medical care. If insurance pays for the unit, it’s usually provided “as a service”, at least until paid off at ridiculous markup like my first two. The providers get a lot more money in the long run, while the insurance companies get more money in the bottom line at the end of the quarter.

If you’re HMO or “Healthcare Union”, I’d guess they buy outright. Also, they’re not nearly as expensive now as they used to be, and yours might be a slightly older model but factory refurb or NOS.  :-//

I’ve seen 3 or 4 new-new machines in the last year; they were all cellular data equipped. I guess I assumed that’s how they all were provided; but like everything in the last decade or so, the crazy economy is making a lot of changes in the way anything business is done.

mnem
 :=\

SWMBO has a new CPAP within the last year from ResMed.  It follows the latest fad of IoT.  She can use a phone app and 'magically' (from the device manufacturer's cloud) get all sorts of statistics and status about her respiration overnight.  I took a quick look and easily determined the magic is a cellular modem on the device.  There is no slot for a memory card.  The user interface is extremely simple and is view only.  If she wants to make any adjustment at all, then she has to phone up a technician at the service provider (not the device manufacturer), who then takes care of it.

I am not sure it is the crazy economy that is making changes, but maybe that the economy has always been crazy and now has the technology to enable the change in how business is done.

So the device supposedly belongs to SWMBO, but the doctor, service provider, device manufacturer, insurance company and even the cellular company all have greater control over her health device than she does.

I included the cellular company since I assume the device must be G3.  LTE CAT-M1 service arrived more recently than the device.  What happens when G3 service is turned off as everything migrates to LTE or G5?  :palm:

Gotta go, Windows 7 is saying my less than a year old Kingston SSD is failing ... time to double check that backups are up to date  :scared: :scared:

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57279 on: April 29, 2020, 05:51:56 am »
What is it with everyone needing positive air pressure to sleep all of a sudden?

I don't get it?
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57280 on: April 29, 2020, 05:59:53 am »
well, if we'd all be leading healthy lifes, we would not participate in forums but spend the time outdoors being active ...  >:D

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #57281 on: April 29, 2020, 06:08:01 am »
What exactly does your Meinberg ED170MP not like?
Is it monitoring the current of the 15V antenna supply? -> Build a dummy current device could be the solution.

The "error antenna" led stay on and the receiver do not receive anything. I'm wondering if the receiver stop everything when an error is detected. I might also have another problem with the receiver. I need to do more tests.

Don't know if this applies to this particular model: Meinberg GPS antennas used to be quite special and not interchangeable with any other antenna. The RF cable doesn't transport the received signal but rather a 10MHz ref signal upstream (from receiver to antenna) and an IF signal at some 30MHz downstream.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #57282 on: April 29, 2020, 06:21:57 am »
Somebody here in Germany interested in a Fluke 3330B DC calibrator?
Pick-up only in Kraichtal Baden-Württemberg (near Bruchsal/Karlsruhe).

https://www.ebay.de/itm/143586084444

Photo from the auction:

No affiliations with the seller.

Ooh yes, I am interested, Sir!

Thank you very much for pointing at it.

And? Did you get it for 125 Euros? :)

Alas, no. I was the one offering 120 bucks. :( Got to continue the tradition of "second best offer".

I just wish I knew how much the winner was willing to pay ... Or better not. If that actually was the limit, I'd be really pissed off.  >:(

Sadly to hear this.  :(
If I'd bid for that thing, I think I'd have set my limit to around 350 Euros. Usually, these 3330B are going for much more.
More luck next time.  :-+

I deliberately chose such a low-ball offer in an effort to show some control of my addiction. I keep telling myself that I don't have to justify spending my money on whatever I like, but I can't. Or maybe I want to punish myself for whatever reason.

And now you come along with an AC calibrator (much more in need, as I do have some DC calibrators, albeit no top notch ones). :scared:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #57283 on: April 29, 2020, 07:30:22 am »
well, if we'd all be leading healthy lifes, we would not participate in forums but spend the time outdoors being active ...  >:D

I did not go out at all yesterday, but that was because we got a few mm of snow and I had no pressing need.

OTOH, sailing season started, in drizzle, Monday evening. I had dressed to the occasion, so did not freeze. 

Today, I'm shopping for my parents and ourselves, so need to venture out. Also, had ice on the roof. Gone now.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #57284 on: April 29, 2020, 08:07:54 am »
I have a monumental amount of gear on my doorstep right now, much of it older. A lot of corroded BNCs etc. So, what's your go-to solution for clearing that up?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57285 on: April 29, 2020, 08:12:46 am »
OK, so which of us is this fellow TEA sufferer ?

Kindly put your hand up and come out of the shadows !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #57286 on: April 29, 2020, 08:12:55 am »
I have a monumental amount of gear on my doorstep right now, much of it older. A lot of corroded BNCs etc. So, what's your go-to solution for clearing that up?

Depends on the jack. One I did up recently was Silver plated so I polished it up and then gave it a good flush with IPA. The internal pin looked in good condition in this case. Otherwise swap them for less fuss depending on if you can get one as an easy replacement.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57287 on: April 29, 2020, 08:18:59 am »

Depends on the jack. One I did up recently was Silver plated so I polished it up and then gave it a good flush with IPA. The internal pin looked in good condition in this case. Otherwise swap them for less fuss depending on if you can get one as an easy replacement.

All fairly low value stuff. So can't really afford the time togo cracking them open. Was hoping for a "spray once, gone forever" solution  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57288 on: April 29, 2020, 08:26:22 am »
I'm getting a bit bored waiting for my MAX134 to arrive from China, the good news is that its in transit now and should be here next week. I've already watched 3 films today  :palm:

You only bought ONE...? Oh dear... oh dearie me.
:palm:

mnem
You never know when he'll strike... Oh, wait. yes you do.
Yeah, the last one at that  ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57289 on: April 29, 2020, 08:30:02 am »

All fairly low value stuff. So can't really afford the time togo cracking them open. Was hoping for a "spray once, gone forever" solution  ;D

Have a search online or the forum for 'deoxit' depending on local availability https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/ pick your flavour and a soft brass brush for cosmetic finish on the visible bit and leave the proper job to the buyer.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57290 on: April 29, 2020, 08:51:39 am »

Have a search online or the forum for 'deoxit' depending on local availability https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/ pick your flavour and a soft brass brush for cosmetic finish on the visible bit and leave the proper job to the buyer.

Thanks! Excellent spot to start searching!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57291 on: April 29, 2020, 08:53:21 am »
OK, so which of us is this fellow TEA sufferer ?

Kindly put your hand up and come out of the shadows !  :horse:
Good find, seems that he might well a HAM as well, maybe bd knows who he is  :-// :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57292 on: April 29, 2020, 08:54:26 am »
I deliberately chose such a low-ball offer in an effort to show some control of my addiction. I keep telling myself that I don't have to justify spending my money on whatever I like, but I can't. Or maybe I want to punish myself for whatever reason.

We all do have our illusions which we are following ...  >:D   :palm:  ;)

And now you come along with an AC calibrator (much more in need, as I do have some DC calibrators, albeit no top notch ones). :scared:

Regarding the Yokogawa YEW 2558 AC calibrator: recently on TIN's ftp-server showed up a lot of manuals etc. from Yokogawa which usually are hard to find:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/yokogawa-2558-ac-voltage-standard-service-manual/
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57293 on: April 29, 2020, 10:07:55 am »
Good find, seems that he might well a HAM as well, maybe bd knows who he is  :-// :clap:
Yeah but I dd notice after Bitseeker had his rearrangement of posts 1 and 2 that he already has the first vid linked in his 2nd opening post so maybe someone had spotted it and posted in previously.

Anyways, we can all do with a bitta light relief.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57294 on: April 29, 2020, 10:40:58 am »

G0MGX. Never heard of him.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57295 on: April 29, 2020, 10:42:26 am »

And by the power of Googleskull  ;) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=128654

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57296 on: April 29, 2020, 10:54:42 am »

And by the power of Googleskull  ;) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?u=128654
Already been there and done the same thing, tells us nothing other than he is in Belper, Derbyshire. I think he must be a lurker on the thread.

Meanwhile in other news, the Crystal tester I posted about recently, the seller emailed me claiming that the item has been lost in transit and that they were going to refund in full as they did not know when they would get any further stocks.  I looked on Bang Good site, and they have it in stock, in a UK warehouse for less money. Order placed and the delivery is claimed to 1 to 2 working days with free postage, lets wait and see shall we :-//
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:59:56 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57297 on: April 29, 2020, 10:56:11 am »
and I was already going to say that the google fu was strong in this one ...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57298 on: April 29, 2020, 10:58:31 am »

Already been there and done the same thing, tells us nothing really useful does it, not even his country of origin, although I think we can take it us being the UK.

Meanwhile in other news, the Crystal tester I posted about recently, the seller emailed me claiming that the item has been lost in transit and that they were going to refund in full as they did not know when they would get any further stocks.  I looked on Bang Good site, and they have it in stock, in a UK warehouse for less money. Order placed and the delivery is claimed to 1 to 2 working days with free postage, lets wait and see shall we :-//

After reading your posting I've ordered this one the other day:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272722725901

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:00:29 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf