Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16670254 times)

shakalnokturn and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57250 on: April 28, 2020, 08:15:16 pm »
My school calculator was a Sharp EL-512 which I still have and use, but I didn't have a choice in the matter, it was a group-buy from the school.

However, when it comes to buttons and shift functions... Real mens Calculators don't have buttons (in case you're wondering about those propellors, my sons mini-drone had an incident with a wall today).

McBryce.

A real engineer's calculator comes with words like "Woodbine", "Player's" or "Dunhill" on it and requires a pencil for proper operation. Can also be used for CAD drawings, evil plans, brilliant plans, and sundry schemes. Also available in absorbent form bearing words like "Courage", "Guinness" or "Youngs" on it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57251 on: April 28, 2020, 08:29:28 pm »
Ah yes.  In a similar vein, RS invoice envelopes (and a Pilot G2) serve that purpose in this house. ALL good ideas start on the back of one. If I have to get a sheet of A4 out of the drawers then it's a shit idea from the get go.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57252 on: April 28, 2020, 08:44:39 pm »
What exactly does your Meinberg ED170MP not like?
Is it monitoring the current of the 15V antenna supply? -> Build a dummy current device could be the solution.

The "error antenna" led stay on and the receiver do not receive anything. I'm wondering if the receiver stop everything when an error is detected. I might also have another problem with the receiver. I need to do more tests.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57253 on: April 28, 2020, 08:51:09 pm »
real men have wood.

this was the calculator my old man used in college.

so it is circa 1948.
This is a real mans pet, never mind the slide rule though eh  ;)

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, nixiefreqq

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57254 on: April 28, 2020, 08:54:01 pm »
Ah yes.  In a similar vein, RS invoice envelopes (and a Pilot G2) serve that purpose in this house. ALL good ideas start on the back of one. If I have to get a sheet of A4 out of the drawers then it's a shit idea from the get go.

My little (DIN-A5) book of weekend projects:

:-/O  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57255 on: April 28, 2020, 09:04:55 pm »
real men have wood.

so it is circa 1948.

I'd prefer a gabon viper in my winter garden. A burglar might enter the house, but I doubt he would get out.

The anti venom is in the safe. to provide for some tension and entertainment the Pin for the safe has 15 digits and you have 20 minutes. Good luck ...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57256 on: April 28, 2020, 09:14:22 pm »
real men have wood.

so it is circa 1948.

I'd prefer a gabon viper in my winter garden. A burglar might enter the house, but I doubt he would get out.

The anti venom is in the safe. to provide for some tension and entertainment the Pin for the safe has 15 digits and you have 20 minutes. Good luck ...

Nah, your precious safe and its contents would be safe, me, I wouldn't need 20 minutes or good luck because I'd be playing with the Cougar and nowhere near your house  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57257 on: April 28, 2020, 09:27:39 pm »
real men have wood.

so it is circa 1948.

I'd love to see the face of the burglar who breaks in and meets Messi.  I'd bet he'd make a messi in his shorts!  Very cool cat - would love to meet him - beautiful animal!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57258 on: April 28, 2020, 09:43:07 pm »
I bet it has fleas an inch long

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57259 on: April 28, 2020, 09:47:38 pm »
our cats are old, fat, and lazy.

and still we worry that they will kill us in our sleep to snack on the remains.

BUT that cat has muscles in its poo!
free range primate

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #57260 on: April 28, 2020, 09:54:04 pm »
our cats are old, fat, and lazy.

and still we worry that they will kill us in our sleep to snack on the remains.

BUT that cat has muscles in its poo!

Yes Messi - nice kitty kitty.  :phew:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #57261 on: April 28, 2020, 10:01:59 pm »
I don't think I'd want Messi climbing on the bench, though, as mine are inclined to...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, BU508A, mnementh, beanflying, nixiefreqq

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57262 on: April 28, 2020, 10:11:17 pm »
I bet it has fleas an inch long
Not a chance the number of baths and brushing he gets,  :-DD :-DD

I'm getting a bit bored waiting for my MAX134 to arrive from China, the good news is that its in transit now and should be here next week. I've already watched 3 films today  :palm:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:14:58 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57263 on: April 28, 2020, 10:55:35 pm »
     ADALM-PLUTO Software-Defined Radio Active Learning Module

Hey, bd... I stumbled across this whilst researching the above ADALM2000:

Portable self-contained RF learning module
    Cost-effective experimentation platform
    Based on Analog Devices AD9363--Highly Integrated RF Agile Transceiver and Xilinx® Zynq Z-7010 FPGA
    RF coverage from 325 MHz to 3.8 GHz
    Up to 20 MHz of instantaneous bandwidth
    Flexible rate, 12-bit ADC and DAC
    One transmitter and one receiver, half or full duplex
    MATLAB®, Simulink® support
    GNU Radio sink and source blocks
    libiio, a C, C++, C#, and Python API
    USB 2.0 Powered Interface with Micro-USB 2.0 connector
    High quality plastic enclosure

I stuck one in my cart when I was checking out the ADALM2000; it too can be had for $99 with promo code STUDENT. In all honesty, I'm not enough of a HAM to know if this is something that'd be useful to you or not; but like the ADALM2000, on paper it sure sounds like a lot of features for little money.

mnem
*Back to vegetating*

https://greatscottgadgets.com/hackrf/one/

Quote from: Product Website
HackRF One from Great Scott Gadgets is a Software Defined Radio peripheral capable of transmission or reception of radio signals from 1 MHz to 6 GHz. Designed to enable test and development of modern and next generation radio technologies, HackRF One is an open source hardware platform that can be used as a USB peripheral or programmed for stand-alone operation.

1 MHz to 6 GHz operating frequency
    half-duplex transceiver
    up to 20 million samples per second
    8-bit quadrature samples (8-bit I and 8-bit Q)
    compatible with GNU Radio, SDR#, and more
    software-configurable RX and TX gain and baseband filter
    software-controlled antenna port power (50 mA at 3.3 V)
    SMA female antenna connector
    SMA female clock input and output for synchronization
    convenient buttons for programming
    internal pin headers for expansion
    Hi-Speed USB 2.0
    USB-powered
    open source hardware
Just stumbled across this while looking for other stuff. Not sure what, if anything, it has over the ADALM-Pluto. Just thought I'd bring it up for those interested. ;)

github is here: https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf

mnem
*toddles off to pick up a guitar*

Personally I would avoid the HackRF One. It's incredible what Michael Ossman was able to accomplish but it's mostly a pile of old RF IC glued together on a pcb. There is so many relays and transceivers in the signal path that the poor thing is barely able to receive something. It's a really bad receiver.

On the other hand, the heart of the AdalmPluto is an all integrated transceiver from the AD936* family from Analog Devices. Those IC were released recently and are just incredible. The only problem is that they are quite expensive. The AD9363 is 121$ US  and the AD9361 280$ US in quantity of 1 on digikey  :scared:

More info on the AD936* over here: https://wiki.analog.com/resources/eval/user-guides/ad-fmcomms2-ebz/ad9361
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:00:54 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57264 on: April 28, 2020, 11:15:59 pm »
real men have wood.    this was the calculator my old man used in college.   so it is circa 1948.   

real dwagons have heavy metal.  >:D
I used a 10-register one of these through middle school algebra right up to 1st or 2nd year of high school.  :o They also made ones for Octal & Hex.

mnem
*currently eating myself sick on 75% Off Easter Chocolate*
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:19:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57265 on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:33 pm »
What exactly does your Meinberg ED170MP not like?
Is it monitoring the current of the 15V antenna supply? -> Build a dummy current device could be the solution.
The "error antenna" led stay on and the receiver do not receive anything. I'm wondering if the receiver stop everything when an error is detected. I might also have another problem with the receiver. I need to do more tests.

*hears tiny "Kaboom!" from slightly northeast*

Ummmm.... K-a-a-a-ay???

My little (DIN-A5) book of weekend projects:       :-/O  :D

My little bag of...  >:D   This was my actual onsite bag for years. About 1 client in 20 noticed; those were the ones I bothered to give my business card.
  ;)

mnem
Don't dig too deep. My secrets guard themselves.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:36:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57266 on: April 28, 2020, 11:56:34 pm »
real men have wood.   this was the calculator my old man used in college.   so it is circa 1948.
   This is a real mans pet, never mind the slide rule though eh  ;)   https://youtu.be/OkO7be9Dn2c
I'd love to see the face of the burglar who breaks in and meets Messi.  I'd bet he'd make a messi in his shorts!  Very cool cat - would love to meet him - beautiful animal!

-Pat
I'm just imagining those two tear-assing around the house in the middle of the night, and being woke up by him stepping on my tongue... as has happened to me more than once. First is  :wtf: , then comes  :o as you realize what just happened... then and brushing your teeth/tongue when it occurs to you where those feet have been. ::)

mnem
spew and a half.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:20:49 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57267 on: April 29, 2020, 12:03:16 am »
Just stumbled across this while looking for other stuff. Not sure what, if anything, it has over the ADALM-Pluto. Just thought I'd bring it up for those interested. ;)

github is here: https://github.com/mossmann/hackrf

mnem
*toddles off to pick up a guitar*

Personally I would avoid the HackRF One. It's incredible what Michael Ossman was able to accomplish but it's mostly a pile of old RF IC glued together on a pcb. There is so many relays and transceivers in the signal path that the poor thing is barely able to receive something. It's a really bad receiver.

On the other hand, the heart of the AdalmPluto is an all integrated transceiver from the AD936* family from Analog Devices. Those IC were released recently and are just incredible. The only problem is that they are quite expensive. The AD9363 is 121$ US  and the AD9361 280$ US in quantity of 1 on digikey  :scared:

More info on the AD936* over here: https://wiki.analog.com/resources/eval/user-guides/ad-fmcomms2-ebz/ad9361

Thanks for the infoDump.  :-+ I seriously don't know enough about SDR (aside from the fact it looks like an amazing technology which possibilities we've just scratched the surface of) to know at first or even second glance which unit can do what. I just wanted to pass it on in case it was the next "thing" like the NanoVNA. ;)

mnem
*sparky wannabe*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:20:22 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57268 on: April 29, 2020, 12:07:33 am »
I'm getting a bit bored waiting for my MAX134 to arrive from China, the good news is that its in transit now and should be here next week. I've already watched 3 films today  :palm:

You only bought ONE...? Oh dear... oh dearie me.
:palm:

mnem
You never know when he'll strike... Oh, wait. yes you do.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57269 on: April 29, 2020, 12:19:50 am »
In OTHER Other News...

I STILL don't have my guitar yet. First one was the wrong size (narrow neck); the one I went out for today was brand spanking new, in sealed box from the factory. It had gorgeous body woodgrains & polyurethane finish just glowing with shine a foot deep; but the fret-board had deep desiccation cracks and buckling between the nut and the first fret. Clearly storage did not agree with it; what a horrible thing to happen to such a beautiful instrument.  :-[

After that, 2 hours grocery & clothes shopping at Wally Wurrlld & another hour on my feet between 3 other stores... my back & knees are killing me.
:palm:

mnem
Getting old is not for wussies.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57270 on: April 29, 2020, 12:35:17 am »
   eBay auction: #283815311988

Oklay... so is this the all-new version people were saying was just around the corner...? Or is it the original, with a larger screen and shiny new box? :o   I thought it was supposed to go to 6 or 8GHz...
:wtf:

mnem
*wibble*

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #57271 on: April 29, 2020, 12:49:41 am »
The new one is "Nanovna version 2" it goes up to ~3 GHz. Not sure of the staturs as of now you can google it to see prototypes.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #57272 on: April 29, 2020, 12:53:03 am »

Older models use the datacard or a CF card to store data; current ones (like my dad has) have cellular data because they are no longer sold, exactly, but rather provided "as a service" and billed accordingly. They can monitor your usage history (including apnea events, non-sleep and REM sleep), change all the config, probably even brick the thing remotely if you don't pay.[/b][/i][/color] :palm:

Cheers,

mnem
*currently braving the madness that is PronterFace*

Not sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying you can't buy a CPAP or you can't buy one with storage cards?    I bought mine from 1-800-CPAP last year, a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation Auto.  Mine has bluetooth connectivity with an SD card for storage that works with the Dream mapper app but I don't use it.  It doesn't use cellular service.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57273 on: April 29, 2020, 02:06:23 am »
The new one is "Nanovna version 2" it goes up to ~3 GHz. Not sure of the staturs as of now you can google it to see prototypes.

https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/nanovna-v2/

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57274 on: April 29, 2020, 03:07:12 am »

Older models use the datacard or a CF card to store data; current ones (like my dad has) have cellular data because they are no longer sold, exactly, but rather provided "as a service" and billed accordingly. They can monitor your usage history (including apnea events, non-sleep and REM sleep), change all the config, probably even brick the thing remotely if you don't pay.[/b][/i][/color] :palm:

Cheers,

mnem
*currently braving the madness that is PronterFace*

Not sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying you can't buy a CPAP or you can't buy one with storage cards?    I bought mine from 1-800-CPAP last year, a Phillips Respironics Dreamstation Auto.  Mine has bluetooth connectivity with an SD card for storage that works with the Dream mapper app but I don't use it.  It doesn't use cellular service.

I dunno then. Maybe it depends on how you pay for your medical care. If insurance pays for the unit, it’s usually provided “as a service”, at least until paid off at ridiculous markup like my first two. The providers get a lot more money in the long run, while the insurance companies get more money in the bottom line at the end of the quarter.

If you’re HMO or “Healthcare Union”, I’d guess they buy outright. Also, they’re not nearly as expensive now as they used to be, and yours might be a slightly older model but factory refurb or NOS.  :-//

I’ve seen 3 or 4 new-new machines in the last year; they were all cellular data equipped. I guess I assumed that’s how they all were provided; but like everything in the last decade or so, the crazy economy is making a lot of changes in the way anything business is done.

mnem
 :=\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf