Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16671460 times)

Vgkid and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #57000 on: April 27, 2020, 08:30:30 am »
Not TEA but there was a couple of arrivals not from Australia Post :horse: . Steppers from the Aussie drop shipment wharehouse from an Ali Express seller and the V slot for the motion bits plus some more to play with home brew 3D Printers and CNC routers  >:D

I have an idea to incorporate Lasers with Sharks as part of the build too  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #57001 on: April 27, 2020, 08:34:16 am »
regarding coffee:
I know what that's like.
I have the Quick Mill Pegaso , and it's been running fine since 2009 with minor maintenance such as replacing a couple of o-rings the the portafilter (is that the right word ???) is sitting (i.e. the seal above the sieve).

I think it's time to praise it as it's been giving me an average of 3 coffees a day for almost 11 years with about 20€ in spare parts.

(no link, because I don't like to embed ads)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:37:31 am by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57002 on: April 27, 2020, 08:38:17 am »
Portafilter is correct  ;) That is a good run from a prosumer type machine. There typical failure mode is from being fed no water or hard water causing Element/Boiler or Calcium build up issues. The little vibe pump will eventually die but they are an easy swap if needed.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57003 on: April 27, 2020, 08:38:38 am »
DHL dropped off a CPU a few minutes ago, and alas: the RAM, Mainboard and CPU I bought are all working. No scams, no nothing, just working outtadabox.

I am halfway pleased.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57004 on: April 27, 2020, 08:41:28 am »
@bean
thanks, I have to remember that one, I admit, I had to look it up.

I do have a problem with calcium clogging the machine every now and then, and I am using pure citric acid added to the water tank and letting it run through 5 - 6 times to get rid of the buildup. works like a charm.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57005 on: April 27, 2020, 08:58:43 am »
@bean
thanks, I have to remember that one, I admit, I had to look it up.

I do have a problem with calcium clogging the machine every now and then, and I am using pure citric acid added to the water tank and letting it run through 5 - 6 times to get rid of the buildup. works like a charm.

Not sure about the boiler build in your but just be a little careful if it is Aluminium rather than Copper and Brass. Citric is what I use with commercial decalcification including using a boiling solution on some of the horrors. If it is Aluminium just don't soak any boiler bits and flush really well.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57006 on: April 27, 2020, 09:09:42 am »
actually in this one it is copper. At least that's what the shop which sold it to me said when they recommended this particular one.
I have never had it open though, and even if it broke I would probably just get the same again or fix it.
Here's a teardown (in German though)
http://www.rimprezza.de/Die-Quickmill-Thermoblock-Maschinen

next task: rebuild a CPU cooler. Nothing fancy, but reuse what I got to the max. Should be done in a few minutes.
After that: onto the exercise bike for one episode of MASH.
(I got today off, I did too much overtime and want a break)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57007 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:03 am »
Looks like a Copper lined Thermoblock rather than a conventional boiler so Citric should be fine. Some now run Stainless tube but a lot of the trash end runs just Aluminium. Gaggia I am looking at you  :horse:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57008 on: April 27, 2020, 09:53:46 am »
Looks like a Copper lined Thermoblock rather than a conventional boiler so Citric should be fine. Some now run Stainless tube but a lot of the trash end runs just Aluminium. Gaggia I am looking at you  :horse:

Any opinion on the Rancilio machines? I've been considering a Silvia for some time now.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57009 on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:27 am »
The have been the simple solid go to for well over a Decade now. Low water cooked elements is their main issue and they can tend to cook the shot as the heads run hot.

There is a well known PID fix for it and making a DIY solution there is plenty of info out there now. http://store.pidsilvia.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=65

Personally I have a thing for not having the noise of a vibe pump on my machines but that comes at an extra $1k generally  ;)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57011 on: April 27, 2020, 11:15:15 am »
I'm not interested in sterilizing the place, med. I love it just the way it is. You & Oculus are making more fuss than we did, and I love that too. ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*  :=\
The way I see it is this, we all from time to time feel that we need to vend certain issues and I'm perfectly happy with that. Be it political, about piloting, mechanics, wood working, ham radio, programming, rocketeering, explosives flying, sailing, hiking and 3D printing etc. The plain facts are that we are all different and some things motivate us and others don't, we are a broad church and if someone has written about something that does not float your boat, then you are not obliged to read it, you can choose to skip over the posting as I frequently do because I have zero interest in explosives, rocketeering, programming, woodworking, 3D printing and many other things. What I can do and do is select which posts I read in the same way as I would select a topic in a magazine to read, or a TV program to watch. That being said, I also can and frequently do learn some knowledge that may well one day become very useful to me from reading some of those posts that I would not normally choose to read.

So please can everyone exercise some tolerance and show some understanding and respect for each other, we all have good and bad days and that itself can dictate just how we interact on this forum, especially with the way the globe is effectively locked down, people will become fed up and this forum can help them to vent some thoughts and that surely is a good thing. Let's not fall out over something that is trivial in the grand scale of things. If someone is posting something that you don't like, then please ignore that post and move onto another and lets stop this talking about quitting the forum because of these posts. I'm a member of many other forums, and my forum of choice is this one, why because many of the others have very strict rules, and as a result have very few members and are in my view, dieing on their feet. There is a reason why this thread in the forum is growing rapidly and that reason I believe is because we don't have strict rules and is a very relaxed, friendly place to be and can be very entertaining and informative as long as we have open minds.  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic, Saskia, Zoli

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #57012 on: April 27, 2020, 11:34:28 am »
As much as we all hate Covid, it ain't going away anytime soon.  >:(
It's part of our lives, like it or not !

Shame Dave locked the thread as we could take our gripes and grumbles there...............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57013 on: April 27, 2020, 11:39:25 am »
As much as we all hate Covid, it ain't going away anytime soon.  >:(
It's part of our lives, like it or not !

Shame Dave locked the thread as we could take our gripes and grumbles there...............
There you go then, all the more reason for being respectful of each other and showing some tolerance.  :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #57014 on: April 27, 2020, 11:40:33 am »
I wake up to see that cooler heads have prevailed and we all agree:

Covid discussions: NO
Political tirades: NO

If these subjects rear their ugly heads again I will no longer participate in this thread. And that's not a threat.  |O

Bd....I got plenty of coffee.  ;D

I love you man. I really do. But if you and Oculus are going to start being fucking topic nazis and threaten to ragequit every time a topic comes up, then please, don't let the screen door hit ya on yer way out.

Seriously. You've both turned into prickly bastards, getting your hackles up any time anything even remotely topical comes up; I'm tired of walking on eggshells. You are being too easily bothered, and that's the short of it.

Now either put on yer big boy pants and deal, or have some popcorn & TEA.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #57015 on: April 27, 2020, 11:45:43 am »
There is a reason why this thread in the forum is growing rapidly and that reason I believe is because we don't have strict rules and is a very relaxed, friendly place to be and can be very entertaining and informative as long as we have open minds.  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+

Sing Kumbaya everyone!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57016 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:21 am »
DHL dropped off a CPU a few minutes ago, and alas: the RAM, Mainboard and CPU I bought are all working. No scams, no nothing, just working outtadabox.

I am halfway pleased.

The other half is unhappy, I assume, because now you have nothing to fettle with...?  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57017 on: April 27, 2020, 11:54:23 am »
there is still the dead x99 board with a blown VRM or mosfet that I cannot use because it was a doa and I don't have any spares ...
which is a major pain. I wanted to rebuild my everyday puter and I wanted to use X99 ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57018 on: April 27, 2020, 11:54:41 am »
ok, overbid on that powersupply behemoth. oh well. Continue with Korad ...

Somehow I want to help too,      https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/agilent-hp-6624a-netzteil/1358739871-168-9098

Don't know if you have enough space but with 250€ you get 4 DC outputs. It could be interesting.

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57019 on: April 27, 2020, 11:54:52 am »

I am halfway pleased.

The other half is unhappy, I assume, because now you have nothing to fettle with...?  :-DD

mnem

Nothing to fettle with..........I'm sure that something will spring to mind.... ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #57020 on: April 27, 2020, 12:03:07 pm »
Didn't we have a discussion on low-end hot-air stations in here some time ago?

The Enabler Mark 1, Mod 3 has started asking questions on "how would one go about replacing card readers on the Nintendos here?" which of course is pretty close to be asked about the Rabbit Hole and please can you take me there?  An opportunity, in other words.

Are the machines for ~ 60 € just shite or a reasonable start? That it's got the fan in the wrong place and thus is not -- by a long stretch -- a pro machine is of course something of a foregone conclusion. 

Pointers and personal stories welcome.

"Not the useless talk hot air, the other one"

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #57022 on: April 27, 2020, 12:16:11 pm »
ok, overbid on that powersupply behemoth. oh well. Continue with Korad ...

Somehow I want to help too,

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/agilent-hp-6624a-netzteil/1358739871-168-9098

Don't know if you have enough space but with 250€ you get 4 DC outputs. It could be interesting.

The problem with that thing is: you need a VAT-ID if you want to buy it. They won't sell  it to a private buyer.
"Verkauf nur an Gewerbetreibende."
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57023 on: April 27, 2020, 12:26:50 pm »
On a TEA related note....  A somewhat uncommon opportunity in the land downunder.....

Promoted under the heading of "Vintage Electrical": https://www.allbids.com.au/t/vintage-electrical-sale

I have dealt with them a few years ago - and would be happy to do so again, for the right item.  They are located in Fyshwick, ACT.  Beware the buyer's premium of 22.5%.  Also freight costs if you can't pick it up yourself.

I found myself over the R&S 6ghz Spec Ans... I know they're going to close at more than triple the current price, and I don't NEED one for anything... but I still WANT one for my RC hobbyist sh... tuff.  >:D

I already have ; it does more than I'll ever need in that arena. But still...   

mnem
*toddles off to see if the new NanoVNA Rev-what-the-fuckever is out yet*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57024 on: April 27, 2020, 12:35:21 pm »
have a look at the new Atten clone of the Quick.

I would not trust a 60 bucks station, but the Atten looks reasonably well. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000406359266.html

Fuck... the insides of that look like my CPAP machine...  :-DD   

But yeah... I like how that one's constructed.  :-+   A lot better than the giga-sized aquarium pump in my well-loved Aoyue 2702.  ::)

mnem
 :-/O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf