Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16671298 times)

Vgkid and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56925 on: April 26, 2020, 06:12:20 pm »
In this thread?

That you're awake.   ;D

Ah, thanks, so no Problem.   ^-^
Would like have just one of those in my TE stack. And a temperature controlled lab..   :palm:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56926 on: April 26, 2020, 06:15:47 pm »

Hell, I got raped and instead of filing a police report the police showed me out of the police station and off their grounds.

Which is why I refer to Germany as a shithole country.
YMMV

That is disgusting and no so-called civilized nation should allow that to happen.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #56927 on: April 26, 2020, 06:24:05 pm »
@Wolfgang when we fool around with our rather large home built rockets we ask for and receive a dedicated airspace which is off limits to everybody else. There's also a NOTAM which makes it pretty clear what we are doing. We have ATC standing by (either on radio or on the phone) during the entire event.

We do expect even glider pilots to honor the NOTAM and keep out of our launch area for their own safety.

We have however seen assholes circling right above our launch site, and glider pilots crossing our launch towers and parking their stuff in our landing zone.

They disappeared after a true scale flight of my scale SAM (4 ft, no warhead) which tore a crater less than 20 m from one of their precious gliders. Even though that was a mishap and not at all intentional it immediately taught a valuable lesson.

Also a lot of remarkable experiences with them. I fly AS350s, and once I parked it on an apron and went for lunch. When I came back, a glider was parked 2m away from it. After a while we found the guy and it took 20 minutes to explain him that his glider would be blown away and shredded to little pieces if we start the engine. He only agreed to leave when we called the tower and reported his ID. Bottom line: some are OK, but there are glider and ultralight pilots that have no idea about flight physics, aerodynamics and safety rules. No wonder they dont live as long as the the average citizen. Flying safe and with brains on can be fun was well.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56928 on: April 26, 2020, 06:28:45 pm »
well, unfortunately they do not hear critics over here. Couple of days back one critic was locked up in a psychiatric jail. They don't work you to death and cremate you any more, they just lock you away and throw away the key.

The school will be offering her a room of her own to write her tests. And she will have the 3M 7500 with those particle filters that are good enough to stop the virus.

That's all I can do for now. I tried the injunction stuff and petition stuff several times over here.

Hell, I got raped and instead of filing a police report the police showed me out of the police station and off their grounds.
To be fair, during a crisis like this there really isn't room for endless debate and going back and forth until everyone's appeased. You set a course based on the information and you have to stay the course and deal with the consequences. This inevitably means many people will not have their best interests served and some are outright up shit creek. It's a bad time for everyone. I really wouldn't want to be calling the shots at any kind of macro level where every hurt is a trade off against a different hurt. Solutions to hugely complex issues need to be reduced to overly simplistic and concise forms to cater to the lowest common denominator and there's an added challenge of mass psychology on an unprecedented scale.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:31:08 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56929 on: April 26, 2020, 06:34:51 pm »
Hell, I got raped and instead of filing a police report the police showed me out of the police station and off their grounds. Which is why I refer to Germany as a shithole country.YMMV
That is disgusting and no so-called civilized nation should allow that to happen.  :palm:

Yes; and your story echoes a similar one of my own mother in Tejas a few years before she met my father, and a worse one where a State Trooper abandoned her by the side of the road in the desert. She tried to warn me to stay away from "The asshole of America", but I was in love...  :o

mnem
There comes a time when silence is betrayal.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #56930 on: April 26, 2020, 06:41:28 pm »
https://youtu.be/gUarhwho0f8   here's something you can practise for. Absolutely superb.

That's an amazing performance... but in all honesty, I'll be happy if I get to the the point I can strum a few chords and sing a few rounds of Kumbaya around the campfire with the kids before I die. You know, without it sounding like a cat stuck in a lute. :-DD

mnem
"REEEOWWWWRRRRR!!!" means "I love youuuu..." :o

don't under rater the entertainment value of sounding like a cat stuck in a lute, at least if you have kids and a camp fire to stick them around.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56931 on: April 26, 2020, 06:43:58 pm »

YMMV

Over here the official police stance is that the victim should lie down and whistle and not try to defend herself.
Which in turn if that ever got to court would be interpreted as consensual.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56932 on: April 26, 2020, 06:44:19 pm »
well, unfortunately they do not hear critics over here. Couple of days back one critic was locked up in a psychiatric jail. They don't work you to death and cremate you any more, they just lock you away and throw away the key.

The school will be offering her a room of her own to write her tests. And she will have the 3M 7500 with those particle filters that are good enough to stop the virus.

That's all I can do for now. I tried the injunction stuff and petition stuff several times over here.

To be fair, during a crisis like this there really isn't room for endless debate and going back and forth until everyone's appeased. You set a course based on the information and you have to stay the course and deal with the consequences. This inevitably means many people will not have their best interests served and some are outright up shit creek. It's a bad time for everyone. I really wouldn't want to be calling the shots at any kind of macro level where every hurt is a trade off against a different hurt. Solutions to hugely complex issues need to be reduced to overly simplistic and concise forms to cater to the lowest common denominator and there's an added challenge of mass psychology on an unprecedented scale.

Yes, but there is a point where you need to apply the Hippocratic Principle; these situations are a prime example. This is ACTIVELY taking a harmful course of action; one that needlessly endangers the students, knowing that in all likelihood some will die as a direct result. There is no NEED for these tests to be taken now (aside from, I suspect, that some shitty bureaucratic stipulation means that someone won't get paid if they don't happen NOW :palm:) and every one of those deaths is 100% preventable.  End of discussion.

mnem
"Business as Usual" will be the end of us all.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56933 on: April 26, 2020, 06:48:26 pm »
@Wolfgang AS350 as in Eurocopter ? Nice.

what would have been the harm in shredding that glider ? This guy should have a license, and I would suspect they teach elementary physics ?

One of my co-students piloted a chopper, unfortunately he died when he tried to approach an accident site and there was a high voltage line in his flight path that somehow he overlooked.
The others on board survived. He did not :(

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56934 on: April 26, 2020, 06:51:55 pm »
@mnem I agree with you 100% on that.

our administration has been an exemplary confit of mismanagement and incompetence.
While in our company we were already in crisis mode and limiting access and flagging plants as off limits they did not prevent the carnival thing, they were warned about Ischgl but did not trace back, and they did not care to bring in sufficient PPE.

But that is to be expected when you have a small bank clerk in the position of secretary of health and a full blown commie as foreign minister.
 :palm:

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56935 on: April 26, 2020, 06:58:45 pm »
@Wolfgang AS350 as in Eurocopter ? Nice.

what would have been the harm in shredding that glider ? This guy should have a license, and I would suspect they teach elementary physics ?

One of my co-students piloted a chopper, unfortunately he died when he tried to approach an accident site and there was a high voltage line in his flight path that somehow he overlooked.
The others on board survived. He did not :(
It would have taught him a lesson, but the issue with choppers is always flying debris. The blade tips have about 80% of the speed of sound. In Genderkingen (small airport close to Airbus HQ in Donauwörth), a small plane was thrown over when it approached the runway on the taxi too close, and an AS350 made a flare to avoid a collision. The chopper pilot was acquitted and the guy in the plane had to pay for his damage and a fine, but the paperwork lasted for months.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56936 on: April 26, 2020, 07:00:13 pm »
@Wolfgang when we fool around with our rather large home built rockets we ask for and receive a dedicated airspace which is off limits to everybody else. There's also a NOTAM which makes it pretty clear what we are doing. We have ATC standing by (either on radio or on the phone) during the entire event.

We do expect even glider pilots to honor the NOTAM and keep out of our launch area for their own safety.

We have however seen assholes circling right above our launch site, and glider pilots crossing our launch towers and parking their stuff in our landing zone.

They disappeared after a true scale flight of my scale SAM (4 ft, no warhead) which tore a crater less than 20 m from one of their precious gliders. Even though that was a mishap and not at all intentional it immediately taught a valuable lesson.
Crater assisted learning? Always effective!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56937 on: April 26, 2020, 07:03:14 pm »
That's an amazing performance... but in all honesty, I'll be happy if I get to the the point I can strum a few chords and sing a few rounds of Kumbaya around the campfire with the kids before I die. You know, without it sounding like a cat stuck in a lute. :-DD

You mean, like Tiny Tim?  :-DD  :-DD

https://youtu.be/jW0Vuh3PKUU

Click on this link at your own risk.  :o

10 hours extended loop, only for the tough ones:
https://youtu.be/iP6yvrfOfLc
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:16:10 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56938 on: April 26, 2020, 07:05:09 pm »
Can get expensive at times. And the paperwork it succeeds !

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56939 on: April 26, 2020, 07:10:23 pm »
Yes, but there is a point where you need to apply the Hippocratic Principle; these situations are a prime example. This is ACTIVELY taking a harmful course of action; one that needlessly endangers the students, knowing that in all likelihood some will die as a direct result. There is no NEED for these tests to be taken now (aside from, I suspect, that some shitty bureaucratic stipulation means that someone won't get paid if they don't happen NOW :palm:) and every one of those deaths is 100% preventable.  End of discussion.

mnem
The reality is that this is a messy situation with many interlinked moving parts. Little is straightforward and no one has real answers. Isolating any part doesn't work. Maybe they made the decision based on the fact that we need to restart society sooner rather than later to have a functioning economy at the other end, the desire to pilot loosening restrictions with a smaller group and wanting to pilot with a group that is statistically least likely to get hurt. No one would be stupid enough to communicate that publicly as people would be outraged about using kids as guinea pigs. Who knows? Without having an idea of the trade offs being made it's hard to say anything definitive. We may learn in time when all is said and done. The reality of the situation is that people are going to suffer and die. Some of them will die no matter what we do and some will die due to actions intended to save others. Having a world wide version of the trolley problem is no fun for anyone.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:16:45 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56940 on: April 26, 2020, 07:19:44 pm »
Can get expensive at times. And the paperwork it succeeds !
I just noticed your subtitle says if it finally works, not when it finally works.  ^-^

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56941 on: April 26, 2020, 07:25:18 pm »
@Wolfgang the immediate learning effect they took with them is that a 4 ft SAM model would have shredded their glider just by kinetic impact. And that it would be excessively prudent to not be where the rockets land.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56942 on: April 26, 2020, 07:25:29 pm »

YMMV

Over here the official police stance is that the victim should lie down and whistle and not try to defend herself.
Which in turn if that ever got to court would be interpreted as consensual.

It also sends out the message to so-called men, that a woman is nothing more than a sexual object to be used how they see fit because no one will do anything to prevent it from happening. I honestly expected far better than that from your country.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56943 on: April 26, 2020, 07:31:39 pm »
I am legally handicapped because the state decided to look away a couple of times. The perps roam free, were never prosecuted, and I have to live with the consequences of their actions and the lack of means to defend myself.

Funnily enough when I talked to CBP in the US casually (he was getting a coffee at Starbucks and I just initiated a conversation) he told me to bring evidence to that matter and request asylum the next time I would come to the country. Which I found very interesting. to say the least.

Anyway.

I now submitted my final bid for that power supply mainframe, I will not bid any higher. We will see ...

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56944 on: April 26, 2020, 07:39:23 pm »
@Wolfgang the immediate learning effect they took with them is that a 4 ft SAM model would have shredded their glider just by kinetic impact. And that it would be excessively prudent to not be where the rockets land.
May the lord make all learning curves as fast as this one, with so little collateral damage. Anyway, silly things can be fun.
Have a blast: https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/silly-circuits/measuring-the-impedance-of-blasted-steaks/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56945 on: April 26, 2020, 07:41:52 pm »

mnem
The reality is that this is a messy situation with many interlinked moving parts. Little is straightforward and no one has real answers. Isolating any part doesn't work. Maybe they made the decision based on the fact that we need to restart society sooner rather than later to have a functioning economy at the other end, the desire to pilot loosening restrictions with a smaller group and wanting to pilot with a group that is statistically least likely to get hurt. No one would be stupid enough to communicate that publicly as people would be outraged about using kids as guinea pigs. Who knows? Without having an idea of the trade offs being made it's hard to say anything definitive. We may learn in time when all is said and done. The reality of the situation is that people are going to suffer and die. Some of them will die no matter what we do and some will die due to actions intended to save others. Having a world wide version of the trolley problem is no fun for anyone.

The trolley problem is infantile sophistry for anyone with any moral compass whatsoever.  ::) You do the best you can with the knowledge and ability you have at the time. This means you don't knowingly and actively endanger kids just to satisfy some stupid bureaucratic requirement. If you're allowing that level of second-guessing to enter the equation, you don't belong anywhere your decisions are counted on for the public safety.

Thanks for playing.

mnem
 :bullshit:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #56946 on: April 26, 2020, 07:48:34 pm »
Drat! I had my eyes on a Normameter hybrid analog / Nixie VOM, but my sniping was sniped by someone both later and more desperate determined than yours truly. If you lurk or post here, congratulations! You know that we'll demand a full pictures-heavy post.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56947 on: April 26, 2020, 07:54:17 pm »

You mean, like Tiny Tim?  :-DD  :-DD

https://youtu.be/jW0Vuh3PKUU

Click on this link at your own risk.  :o

10 hours extended loop, only for the tough ones:
https://youtu.be/iP6yvrfOfLc

Oh, I love Tiny Tim. for the same reason I love Carol Channing; both proved you COULD "Do it your way, and critics be damned", and both lived their lives that way. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of all or even most of their performances; but the FACT OF THEM, and living in a world with them in it, is one of the joys of my life. ;)

mnem
If the path before you is clear, you’re probably on someone else’s.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56948 on: April 26, 2020, 08:21:59 pm »
ok, overbid on that powersupply behemoth. oh well. Continue with Korad ...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56949 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:24 pm »
I now submitted my final bid for that power supply mainframe, I will not bid any higher. We will see ...

Seems, that 366,66 Euro weren't enough. :(
The guy who got it for 367,66 has scored a nice bargain. Imho.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf