Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16676973 times)

factory, flash2b and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56875 on: April 26, 2020, 04:53:33 am »

Fear is giving me the opportunity to improve my techniques and tools :)

Is that wax or hot snot? If its hot snot and it is stuck to the board as well, good luck with that then.

To me it looks like this Pattex glue:

My guess is hot snot or the rubber cement.  Over here, rubber cement is known as Shoe Goo, rather than Pattex.  However, patte is french for paw, so is that some wordplay with shoe going on?
If you can press it in slightly and have it rebound, then it is most likely rubber cement.  If it does not really press in at all, then more likely the hot snot.

My experience with wax is in the realm of nordic skiing, so that may colour my perspective.  To get a nice fillet shape like that, the wax would have to be melted and poured in.  Melted wax has a much lower viscosity than hot snot, so there would have to be some sort of vessel/barrier to contain it in place during the pour; not likely worth the effort to do so for something like this.  Also, a harder wax that melts at higher temperature is not a good candidate.  The melting temperature of the wax is probably not going to be kind (thermally) to the electronic components.  A hard wax is more likely to crack in a shock load, so it really does not have the desired mechanical properties.  A softer wax that melts at lower temperatures would be more likely to hold the capacitors in place under shock and vibration.  However, that softer wax might have a melting point to become liquid under operating temperatures of the electronics; definitely not what you would want.  I almost forgot, the test for wax is to scrape the surface.  You will get a nice shaving of wax with a softer wax.  With a harder wax, the shavings may be smaller and brittle, almost like a powder.

And back I go to cleaning out leaky battery goo from remote controls and kids toys ... I will be averaging more than one a day this week   |O
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:55:28 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56876 on: April 26, 2020, 05:00:28 am »
Anyone interested in this as there was a little chatter about Blackstar on Discord this morning? Free postage offered in Oz and I would be happy to on forward elsewhere. eBay auction: #223982093115

It has a rechargeable battery bay which looks pristine.  Takes NiCad 'C' cells - but I have a few old sub-C NiCads floating around.  Should be able to dig out half a dozen decent ones - that is, if I ever were to consider battery operation.

Tempting - but I'm still hopeful my 1GHz frequency counter might turn up (Unless the kids did accidentally toss it out  >:( )

I think Murphy would love me to get this, design my bench to include it and then have the old one turn up.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:06:18 am by Brumby »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56877 on: April 26, 2020, 08:25:54 am »
How you adhere to VFR while in the clouds completely escapes me ...
Under those conditions, you have to fly with the ATC taking control of your height, speed and direction until you can resume VFR again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56878 on: April 26, 2020, 08:37:28 am »
Takes NiCad 'C' cells - but I have a few old sub-C NiCads floating around.  Should be able to dig out half a dozen decent ones - that is, if I ever were to consider battery operation.

I have several 12V packs which ran out 6 months ago. I got them for my Tek 1502s, and ought to go to the hackspace to use its welding tool.

No, I'm not prepared to airmail them! It is probably legal, but I can't be bothered to sort out what is necessary.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56879 on: April 26, 2020, 09:01:37 am »
Anyone interested in this as there was a little chatter about Blackstar on Discord this morning? Free postage offered in Oz and I would be happy to on forward elsewhere. eBay auction: #223982093115

Yeah there was a lot about Black Star but it was in relation to 4503 DMM mainly because I have one with a ohms problem. As to do I want this counter, nah, I have its big brother and newer TF930 which is 3GHz, thanks for alerting me to this anyway.

BTW, I used to have this ones little brother the Meteor 500, not a bad bit of kit either.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:03:19 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56880 on: April 26, 2020, 09:29:41 am »
Takes NiCad 'C' cells - but I have a few old sub-C NiCads floating around.  Should be able to dig out half a dozen decent ones - that is, if I ever were to consider battery operation.

I have several 12V packs which ran out 6 months ago. I got them for my Tek 1502s, and ought to go to the hackspace to use its welding tool.

No, I'm not prepared to airmail them! It is probably legal, but I can't be bothered to sort out what is necessary.

Rest easy.  I wouldn't be likely to go down the battery path - and if I did, I'm sure I'd be able to get 6 decent sub-C's from the ~50 I have ..... somewhere   :-[

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #56881 on: April 26, 2020, 10:01:39 am »

Must... resist... enablers...   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56882 on: April 26, 2020, 10:11:58 am »

Yes, it's those lovely red LEDs, very appealing, wish my TF930 had them instead of LCD  ;D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #56883 on: April 26, 2020, 10:18:48 am »
How you adhere to VFR while in the clouds completely escapes me ...
Under those conditions, you have to fly with the ATC taking control of your height, speed and direction until you can resume VFR again.
Only works if the ATC is able to see you on the radar. If you are too low, in a radar shadow, have too much plastic instead of metal and no transponder - out of luck.
At least here in Germany flying like this is striclty illegal. You can try to call the info to help you, but - after and if you manage a landing - there is a long discussion with the authorities
and a fine, if not a loss of your license.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56884 on: April 26, 2020, 10:24:04 am »
Those black star counters are excellent. Much better triggering than the HP ones if you just want frequency.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56885 on: April 26, 2020, 10:28:07 am »

Team effort look into the Quantity of Shiny Red Leds .....  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56886 on: April 26, 2020, 10:31:49 am »

I think Bean's skills might be appreciated here in NZ !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56887 on: April 26, 2020, 10:31:55 am »

Surely bean, you really do need another counter, try looking at those red LEDs and let them talk to you  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56888 on: April 26, 2020, 10:43:32 am »
Needs more Nixie to be considered for my non needed additional collection  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56889 on: April 26, 2020, 10:52:38 am »
I just added one of these little kits to my TEA kit, all paid for with my Nectar points  :-+

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Hz-50MHz-Crystal-Oscillator-Tester-Frequency-Counter-DIY-Kits-Meter-with-Case/313035221523?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56890 on: April 26, 2020, 10:56:26 am »

Surely bean, you really do need another counter, try looking at those red LEDs and let them talk to you  :-DD :-DD

My affinity and affection of ruby red LED's is well known but in this case I shall resist.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56891 on: April 26, 2020, 11:18:57 am »
NASA Builds Ventilator Prototype for Coronavirus Patients

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56892 on: April 26, 2020, 01:16:05 pm »
NASA Builds Ventilator Prototype for Coronavirus Patients

Wow.

Have you seen the two black 3458As?   :)

What does it mean that I did notice them in terms of nerdiness...?   |O   :-DD   :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56893 on: April 26, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »
In this thread?

That you're awake.   ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56894 on: April 26, 2020, 01:43:26 pm »
That Black Star frequency meter is niggling at me....  Thank you Bean.

Makes me feel a little unfaithful to the 5381A counter that I haven't gotten back to - but, hey, it's not as if my test gear is pure HP.  (Mind you - since Bean has made his presence felt, I've gone from zero to 4 boxes with the HP logo).

My only question is what $$$ I should put on it - and how well does it work. 

At least I have my 8656B to feed it something (Ah, yes, thank you Bean.)

That guy is going to put me in the poor house - or the dog house.  Maybe both.  He seems to love helping me spend my money.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56895 on: April 26, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »
My affinity and affection of ruby red LED's is well known but in this case I shall resist.  :scared:

Yeah; it doesn't have the pigeon's blood filter which makes that lovely ruby red color. I've always kindof disliked this particular display arrangement... plain 7-segment LEDs with clear or no lens over it, leaving the naked segments just glaring at you. Feels fukkin' cheap. No fucking soul in those designers. :palm:

OTOH, maybe that's what you WANT in a bedrock piece of gear like this... I dunno. It just deems obvious, at least to me, that the device simply is not FINISHED. :-//

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56896 on: April 26, 2020, 01:56:37 pm »
   I just added one of these little kits to my TEA kit, all paid for with my Nectar points  :-+   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Hz-50MHz-Crystal-Oscillator-Tester-Frequency-Counter-DIY-Kits-Meter-with-Case/313035221523?

Worth that just for a quick go/no-go test of all those random crystals in that one drawer of your pick cabinet. :-+

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:53:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56897 on: April 26, 2020, 02:21:46 pm »

Yeah; it doesn't have the pigeon's blood filter which makes that lovely ruby red color. I've always kindof disliked this particular display arrangement... plain 7-segment LEDs with clear or no lens over it, leaving the naked segments just glaring at you. Feels fukkin' cheap. No fucking soul in those designers. :palm:

OTOH, maybe that's what you WANT in a bedrock piece of gear like this... I dunno. It just deems obvious, at least to me, that the device simply is not FINISHED. :-//

mnem

Always the freaking critic.  ::) :-// But you know what? I agree with you.  :clap: My Flukes have a much more finished look. :-+

Holy crap....that's two in row!  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56898 on: April 26, 2020, 02:36:38 pm »

mnem

Always the freaking critic.  ::) :-// But you know what? I agree with you.  :clap: My Flukes have a much more finished look. :-+

Holy crap....that's two in row!  ;D
Gosh, if you two keep this up, you'll have a get a room somewhere and take this thing private, I can't take it much more of this newly found respect for each other  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD >:D

Edit, Bean, what have you started here, you're becoming a modern day Kissinger  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:54:23 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56899 on: April 26, 2020, 02:55:20 pm »
First of all, know your limits. Being a glider pilot does not keep you from getting killed by flying into imc. A glider does not have the instruments nor the motor to do ifr. So if you are beyond your limits you should not have gone out.
The fine for pulling a Stunt like this is easily up to 50k. And I was warned that going out in an ifr worthy but not certified airplane in imc would easily cost me a substantial 5 figures penalty.
So no you don't.

@neomys sapiens if you need a new computer just let me know, I have a few to spare.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:20:27 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf