Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17474695 times)

Ice-Tea, malagas_on_fire, Glull and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56675 on: April 24, 2020, 04:59:00 am »
Odin, far og klokeste av alle guder, gi meg veiledning, visdom og seier i mine anstrengelser.  Now I hope that I got that right, my norse is somewhat rusty.

Ifni, grant me the peace to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies where nobody will find them.  >:D

@mnementh I got rid of the 1054Z, I still have my 2 Keysights ... and no space ...

I know. Good riddance, good deal.

Spend the money on a Roomba; you'll get better service out of it, and when you get bored you can hack it.
  :-DD

mnem
"Right now I'm in the middle of a dozen things, all of them annoying. Where would YOU like to be on my list...?!?" ~XO Susan Ivanova
Strange clip. The title made me think of Svetlana from Cn'C.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #56676 on: April 24, 2020, 05:16:24 am »
Catching up on the last 20 pages...

I know how you feel...

So, cyclin_al, Kosmix, mnem, et al, what's the story with the somewhat recent (a year or two?) surge in TE from eBay sellers in Canada? I don't recall so many before. Are there a lot of businesses/labs upgrading or something?

As Kosmic said, the government is doing some investment these days.  If you go back two elections, the government of that day was cutting programs.  Gear surplused at that time went in large batches.  The batches were too large and expensive for individuals, so resellers got most of it.  I acquired my HP PSU and AWG in 2019 from those sources and still have the government asset stickers on them.  Still, that cannot account for everything that is showing up.

Thanks, guys. It may not account for all of it, but interesting to hear nonetheless.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #56677 on: April 24, 2020, 05:22:02 am »
Dammit, I need to move to somewhere with cheaper shipping from the US   :'(

How can no-one be bidding on this? It's beauuuuutifulllll   :scared:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-3437A-System-Voltmeter/264698971453

These are rather useless nowadays. It's an extension to analogue oscilloscopes and you need one with Z-axis input.
I've got two cheaply over the years and also the necessary Triax Lug and some Triax cable to make an adapter for measurements, but it's in the TE stack still because every digital oscilloscope today has measurement functions that do better and are more versatile than this.

On the other hand, the display has a really nice look and because the pushbuttons are not plastic-welded to the pcb these systems voltmeters are good for spare parts..   :palm:

Another thing to do if you want to use them is the annoyingly loud fan that I instantly replaced on my first unit after I got it. A standard fan does the job, but one has to find a suited supply for it on his own because the original fan has a multiphase motor with external driver circuit.. (Don't remember what type of fan I used, 12V, 24V, no idea  :palm:)

I haven't even turned mine on, yet. I was thinking of using it as a measurement companion for one of my old Tek scopes. The setup for that described in the manual sounds pretty cool with being able to highlight the portion of the wave being measured. However, I'm not sure how useful it'll be in practice.

It's definitely good for lots of parts: nice project enclosure with power supply, lots of buttons (for future HP boat anchor acquisitions!), triax connectors, GPIB, neat numeric LED displays, etc.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56678 on: April 24, 2020, 06:43:19 am »
   bloody hell. Bid placed.

If I was in range, I'd be saying the same thing  ::)

Odin, far og klokeste av alle guder, gi meg veiledning, visdom og seier i mine anstrengelser

now I hope that I got that right, my norse is somewhat rusty.

Google translate gives a very clear translation.

Good luck!   :-+

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #56679 on: April 24, 2020, 08:07:03 am »
Just picked up my probe tips from the Post Office, time to make some temporary power leads for the active probe using my Wago 4mm banana plugs I got yesterday, and give them a go!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #56680 on: April 24, 2020, 08:24:16 am »

Oh, my....  Whaaaaaaaat the #@*% did I just watch?   :o

Geez, man...  Where do you find this stuff, mnementh?    LOL...  :)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56681 on: April 24, 2020, 08:31:30 am »

He is watching TV with his son.  8)

Source:
D'OH!

mnem
*toddles off to watch some TV widda boi*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:34:28 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #56682 on: April 24, 2020, 08:41:52 am »
A bit of STM32 Cube MX rant:
Wonder why an interrupt doesn't get called, though everything is set up, interrupts are enabled and the DFSDM clearly operates?
Because the darn generated code doesn't enable this particular interrupt due to a seemingly stupid bug ...
The necessary calls are there ( HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(DFSDM1_FLT0_IRQn, 2, 0); and so on), but don't get executed  :palm:
So never forget to debug the third party libraries when searching for an error.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:44:05 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56683 on: April 24, 2020, 08:58:06 am »

Oh, my....  Whaaaaaaaat the #@*% did I just watch?   :o

Ditto, I want my 5 minutes back.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56684 on: April 24, 2020, 09:00:13 am »
Howya making out with the scanner Med ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56685 on: April 24, 2020, 09:03:52 am »
A bit of STM32 Cube MX rant:
Wonder why an interrupt doesn't get called, though everything is set up, interrupts are enabled and the DFSDM clearly operates?
Because the darn generated code doesn't enable this particular interrupt due to a seemingly stupid bug ...
The necessary calls are there ( HAL_NVIC_SetPriority(DFSDM1_FLT0_IRQn, 2, 0); and so on), but don't get executed  :palm:
So never forget to debug the third party libraries when searching for an error.

LOL. This shit is why I stopped talking about STM32 recently. The thing went straight back to AVR. AVR-libc is considerably less of a pain in my arse than STM32 HAL and the native uC API.

Cocked up this morning. Sold some MC1350 IF amplifier ICs on ebay. Took me an entire hour to find the bloody things in all the crap boxes  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56686 on: April 24, 2020, 09:04:06 am »

I started working on it, did some troubleshooting and changed a few capacitors, then must be picking up bd's bad habits and sort of lost interest in it for now and put it away to work on another time.  :-DD

One day I'll get back to it.  ;D 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56687 on: April 24, 2020, 09:07:53 am »
Yeah massive problem of mine. I found my Norcal 40A this morning while routing through the cupboard. That's missing half the RIT wiring. I have added the panel controls and the stuff on the board but haven't joined the two halves up. Thought hey I'll look at this over the weekend. Instantly followed by screw it I can't be arsed :)

Apparently I'll get my slightly less cheap than expected Chinese PLC today. So weekend job is "pikey illuminator"  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56688 on: April 24, 2020, 09:11:42 am »
Progress report on the 4503, PCB board cleaned up and all battery juice removed, new battery fitted, 1 new transistor and a full re-cap done and DC calibration done, but resistance ranges will not play ball with me, all power rails are correct etc, resistors checked but still resistance shows either zero's or "OR" (over range) and calibration just fails for that range.

Photos of the meter, this morning after last nights session calibrating the DC volts, with voltages of 2.5v, 5v, 7.5v, 10v and 100v.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56689 on: April 24, 2020, 09:20:39 am »

I started working on it, did some troubleshooting and changed a few capacitors, then must be picking up bd's bad habits and sort of lost interest in it for now and put it away to work on another time.  :-DD

One day I'll get back to it.  ;D
:horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56690 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:50 am »
My 4503 boots a little differently to yours Specmaster. It would be nice to know what all the messages mean...
I wonder if RS232 or GPIB would help resolve the issue.

https://youtu.be/p5JnEC6-qvM
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56691 on: April 24, 2020, 09:48:58 am »
Just picked up my probe tips from the Post Office, time to make some temporary power leads for the active probe using my Wago 4mm banana plugs I got yesterday, and give them a go!

At last!  :P :-DD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56692 on: April 24, 2020, 10:01:17 am »

At last!  :P :-DD

:-DD :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56693 on: April 24, 2020, 10:31:12 am »
Comedy gold. Chinese PLC came with a nice USB / serial adapter.  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Actually the casing overlaps the normal built in connector as well so even a less lumpy cable won't fit either.

Options:

1. make a new lid with a hole big enough and 3dp it.
2. dremel a slot out of it.
3. dremel the side off the USB adapter

:palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56694 on: April 24, 2020, 10:34:38 am »
Fail.  :palm: :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56695 on: April 24, 2020, 10:37:07 am »
@bd just buy one of these might squeeze in   :-DD eBay auction: #143256831252 Save the adapter if not for your 34401A  ;D

Or one of these to mod the case  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #56696 on: April 24, 2020, 10:43:24 am »
Widlar-ise it! It will then fit!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #56697 on: April 24, 2020, 10:58:49 am »
there is almost no problem that cannot easily be resolved by proper application of 50grams of CeeFour.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56698 on: April 24, 2020, 11:25:30 am »

Oh, my....  Whaaaaaaaat the #@*% did I just watch?   :o   Geez, man...  Where do you find this stuff, mnementh?    LOL...  :)

That particular vid was a compilation of "robotics related" eps of We Bare Bears. Ice Bear is a tinkerer, and he has history. He's... complicated. ;)

The show is one of Cartoon Network's most popular; hardly what I would call "outre". My 10-year-old daughter simply adores them, and honestly... it's some of the most creative (and alarmingly sqweaky-clean) programming to hit television in decades; an allegory for growing up minority in the "connected age".

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56699 on: April 24, 2020, 11:28:32 am »
Oh, my....  Whaaaaaaaat the #@*% did I just watch?   :o   Geez, man...  Where do you find this stuff, mnementh?    LOL...  :)

Ditto, I want my 5 minutes back.  ::)

You know I love ya, man... but...

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf