Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16680286 times)

Wolfgang, 6h8c, Everbrave and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56250 on: April 19, 2020, 08:22:52 pm »
Ugh whoever invented the shit show that is the rotation on images is a cunt and I really want to strangle the bastard.
Its simple, most graphic programs, photo hosting sites  such as Imgur or even Photos in Windoze 10 contain a simple button to simply rotate the image for you, whats the problem?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56251 on: April 19, 2020, 08:26:22 pm »
(how the f do i rotate images? can't find any docs that work...)
GIMP?

Or, jpegtran. Or convert. That is not the point. The image contains orientation data that is ignored by something, so rotating the image by altering it will simply mess it up more.

Oh, wait.

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$ rdjpgcom -v GP430LBN.jpeg
JPEG image is 5504w * 3096h, 3 color components, 8 bits per sample
JPEG process: Baseline

The rotation data was mangled by something; because exif says:

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$ exif GP430LBN.jpeg
Corrupt data
The data provided does not follow the specification.
ExifLoader: The data supplied does not seem to contain EXIF data.

treize:GP430LBN mansaxel$

This is one of those situations when anyway you turn, your butt will point backwards..
Using Win 10?, use Photos, part of Win10, simple button top of screen to rotate and then save the image rotated into the correct plain?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56252 on: April 19, 2020, 08:36:52 pm »
Don't even need that in windows 10. Just right click:

Edit: couple of random photos from my jaunt out this evening ... walked all the way round the outside of Kew Gardens...

Brentford...

Richmond Lock...

Was definitely more fun than ebay listing  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:40:10 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56253 on: April 19, 2020, 08:42:22 pm »
Thats strange, been using win10 for years and I never noticed that option in the right click menu, thanks. :-+

Edit, while you was walking, I was having another great BBQ  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:44:35 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56254 on: April 19, 2020, 08:43:40 pm »
Been there since build 1703  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #56255 on: April 19, 2020, 08:43:50 pm »
Using Win 10?

Not if I can avoid it, no.   :-DD

Anyway, the thing isn't that I can't rotate an image. I've got like 5 tools on the computer that do such manipulations. The issue is that the camera phone was held upright and the image was intended to be vertical, not because the pixels come in one specific order, but, because there is orientation data in the picture saying which way it's to be rendered. This is much easier than letting the camera flip the picture. It simply makes sense to do it that way, but it needs to be done right.

Now, I cheated and rotated the image (and, yes it was caching, it works now), but I should not have to.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56256 on: April 19, 2020, 08:45:46 pm »
Change up to a better OS then  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56257 on: April 19, 2020, 08:47:33 pm »
Since I'm self-hosting my images .......
And what happens to them when you no longer can ?

They're gone, obviously. Not to toot my own horn too loudly here, but since that storage solution has been online continuously for the last 15 years (also while moving servers, it allows that) I think it's about as likely as a forum software to stay available. Unless I get hit by a bus, of course.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56258 on: April 19, 2020, 08:49:46 pm »
Either way the thread is almost entirely backed up on archive.org's wayback machine

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56259 on: April 19, 2020, 08:52:22 pm »
Change up to a better OS then  :-DD :-DD

I did, 20 years ago. Only a short detour into the Swedish armed forces has made me use Windows the last years, but other than that I've managed to stay away from it, on the desktop, since. I do run a Samba-based Active Directory site at home, because family needs it. And I interact with windows machines at work, but I much rather have a Unix machine to type on. And the Apple ones are quite good Unices. For starters, they're not Linux.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56260 on: April 19, 2020, 08:56:28 pm »
Going to be honest here. Meant to mention this. I blasted that FreeBSD box after a couple of hours the other day because valgrind would not bloody work on it. Took an hour to compile (no packages) and then just dumped core

CentOS 8 ...

$ dnf install valgrind

Job done!

Don't get me started on OSX  :-DD. Loooong term OSX user. I'd rather use WSL on windows now.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56261 on: April 19, 2020, 09:02:13 pm »
Wish I had something to fix at the moment. Literally bored shitless.

Actually I'm probably going to list everything I've got that I was going to list for £10 or under on ebay seeing as that's got the same outcome as £1 listing weekends. Also only selling stuff I can ram in the post box over the road.

Edit: thinking about clearing out my TH component stock. I prefer working with SMD even on prototypes now.

Hopefully, tonight I'll finish up replacing my Tek 492's unobtanium fan with a modern fan. The twists are containing the noise (both electrical and mechanical), avoiding a current inrush blowing a £7(!) fuse, and temperature controlling it.

You could come and recap my hp53310a or hp8652b. Oh, actually, you can't.

I know what you mean about SMT vs PTH, but PTH is good for repairs and quick-and-dirty prototyping, especially with manhattan styles. The only component I've needed to buy for my 492's motor controller is a 22k thermistor.

Here's an interesting evolution of Manhattan-style construction I stumbled across the other day...

Board prep is done with a Dremel using a coring bit like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-663DR-4-Inch-Glass-Drilling/dp/B004Q01OAK/

mnem
*currently beating fusion360 about the head with a null-bit mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore, mansaxel, Kosmic, syau, AVGresponding

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56262 on: April 19, 2020, 09:16:13 pm »
Using Win 10?

Not if I can avoid it, no.   :-DD

Anyway, the thing isn't that I can't rotate an image. I've got like 5 tools on the computer that do such manipulations. The issue is that the camera phone was held upright and the image was intended to be vertical, not because the pixels come in one specific order, but, because there is orientation data in the picture saying which way it's to be rendered. This is much easier than letting the camera flip the picture. It simply makes sense to do it that way, but it needs to be done right.

gimp ist your friend, man..   8)    :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56263 on: April 19, 2020, 09:39:13 pm »

Actually I'm probably going to list everything I've got that I was going to list for £10 or under on ebay seeing as that's got the same outcome as £1 listing weekends. Also only selling stuff I can ram in the post box over the road.

Edit: thinking about clearing out my TH component stock. I prefer working with SMD even on prototypes now.

Hopefully, tonight I'll finish up replacing my Tek 492's unobtanium fan with a modern fan. The twists are containing the noise (both electrical and mechanical), avoiding a current inrush blowing a £7(!) fuse, and temperature controlling it.

I know what you mean about SMT vs PTH, but PTH is good for repairs and quick-and-dirty prototyping, especially with manhattan styles. The only component I've needed to buy for my 492's motor controller is a 22k thermistor.

Here's an interesting evolution of Manhattan-style construction I stumbled across the other day...

Board prep is done with a Dremel using a coring bit like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-663DR-4-Inch-Glass-Drilling/dp/B004Q01OAK/

mnem

I've seen the concept before, but not the tool.

I suspect I'll stick to tinsnipping some PCB, and supergluing that onto the PCB acting as as the ground plane.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56264 on: April 19, 2020, 10:00:13 pm »
New addition to my TE-Stack: Hewlett Packard 5370b time interval counter:

Did a reasonable low offer that was accepted. Shipping plus customs fees will be more than the price though.   :palm:
I hope It'll go into my TE stack without problems and not into my repair stack.
I just hope the seller follows my plea for a strong cardboard package and strong padding on all sides..   :scared:

Now. all I can do is wait...

Am I a timenut? -No, I just need it to verify and calibrate my 5359A time synthesizer.   :-DD  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:02:08 pm by URI »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56265 on: April 19, 2020, 10:17:18 pm »
Am I a timenut? -No, I just need it to verify and calibrate my 5359A time synthesizer.   :-DD  :-DD

Confucius he say "man who has two clocks needs another".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #56266 on: April 19, 2020, 10:26:10 pm »

What's wrong with you people?  :-DD I do not lack tools, I'm annoyed at the inability of orientation metadata to work in a portable fashion. 

Besides, using Gimp (which is a nice program, if you need that kind of editing power) to flip a JPEG 90° is like shooting fish in a barrel with a Gatling gun. Total overkill. (which I defined as "appropriate" upthread, I know!)

A much more appropriate solution is to use convert from the ImageMagick suite, like so:

convert input.jpeg -rotate 90 output.jpeg

With a small matter of programming you can flip an entire album if you so wish, without opening every file by hand.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56267 on: April 19, 2020, 10:46:02 pm »

You're right citing this.   :popcorn:

Next step: What tools do I need for verifying and calibrating the 5270b itself?   :scared:   :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56268 on: April 19, 2020, 10:48:09 pm »
The pieces are coming together...

Spent half the morning arguing with Fusion to come up with this... it is a modification of the shell for my Pin Header Block mod so I can move forward with my PetsFang upgrade. More details here for anyone who gives a shit. ;)

mnem
*3DP-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56269 on: April 19, 2020, 10:53:48 pm »

Next step: What tools do I need for verifying and calibrating the 5270b itself?   :scared:   :-DD

Well, actually it goes more like "Man with watch always knows what time it is. Man with two is never sure."

Which of course, y'all timenuts use as fodder for a whole herd, so as to be able to bell-curve your uncertainty factor into a statistical time-out.
:-DD

mnem
*tinker... tinker... putter-tinker...*

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56270 on: April 19, 2020, 10:57:11 pm »

What's wrong with you people?  :-DD I do not lack tools, I'm annoyed at the inability of orientation metadata to work in a portable fashion. 

We're here in the TEA house thread...

Besides, using Gimp (which is a nice program, if you need that kind of editing power) to flip a JPEG 90° is like shooting fish in a barrel with a Gatling gun.
Total overkill. (which I defined as "appropriate" upthread, I know!)

Right you are.  :-DD   :popcorn:

A much more appropriate solution is to use convert from the ImageMagick suite, like so:

With a small matter of programming you can flip an entire album if you so wish, without opening every file by hand.

I'm with you. I use the gimp regularly though. But not for just rotating images -that's done best with a small tool that does just that.  :)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56271 on: April 19, 2020, 10:58:40 pm »

mnem

I've seen the concept before, but not the tool.

I suspect I'll stick to tinsnipping some PCB, and supergluing that onto the PCB acting as as the ground plane.

The Dremel bit is something like 30$. But you can find bunch of those really cheap from China.

Ex: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Hole-Saw-Drill-Bit-Set-Glass-Ceramic-Tile-Cutting-Tool-10pcs-3-18mm/133048582776
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:02:52 pm by Kosmic »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56272 on: April 19, 2020, 11:01:17 pm »
New addition to my TE-Stack: Hewlett Packard 5370b time interval counter:

Did a reasonable low offer that was accepted. Shipping plus customs fees will be more than the price though.   :palm:
I hope It'll go into my TE stack without problems and not into my repair stack.
I just hope the seller follows my plea for a strong cardboard package and strong padding on all sides..   :scared:

Now. all I can do is wait...

have never used an emoji before in my entire life.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
free range primate

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56273 on: April 19, 2020, 11:02:05 pm »

Well, actually it goes more like "Man with watch always knows what time it is. Man with two is never sure."

Which of course, y'all timenuts use as fodder for a whole herd, so as to be able to bell-curve your uncertainty factor into a statistical time-out.
:-DD

I'll just average the value of my four different GPSDOs and am done. Hmm. perhaps add my two different rubidium oscillators to the equation. No, I'm not a timenut, I'm not a timenut, I'm not...   :horse:  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56274 on: April 19, 2020, 11:02:37 pm »

Besides, using Gimp (which is a nice program, if you need that kind of editing power) to flip a JPEG 90° is like shooting fish in a barrel with a Gatling gun. Total overkill. (which I defined as "appropriate" upthread, I know!)

Oh, now that you've explained it, we understand your frustration, we were looking at it from different perspective  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf