Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17471809 times)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56125 on: April 18, 2020, 01:12:28 pm »
Some quick fun  :-DD

(deleting comments is rate limited for ref which is why you have to spread them out ;) )

if you want to post comments do it tomorrow, he's going to be offline https://youtu.be/iLRDjbnHBwM?t=218

Apparently the 19 of April is a Satanic holiday or something ?  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:20:59 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56126 on: April 18, 2020, 01:13:43 pm »
Hahaha on it. Thanks for the tip off  :-+

I'm collating all this information and sending it to the Guardian for ref. They print any old shit so might get some further attention away from it.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56127 on: April 18, 2020, 01:31:37 pm »
Try an FOI request if you cant get it for the Political Parties registration and returns/financials they should be public record. That should tell you some of where the money comes and goes. If the registration has lapsed or the returns are not filed then he is committing fraud and collecting money by deception.

If that is the case and depending on how .org.uk is policed he is running a profit making entity on one so see if you can get it deregistered

Just a couple of things my evil mind thought of seems how he won't talk to me  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56128 on: April 18, 2020, 02:52:56 pm »
Well, that was a fun evening.

SWMBO was in the mood to do toasted sandwiches tonight - and about a third of the way through the cooking, there came a plaintive cry from the kitchen ... the sandwich maker had died.

This poor thing was purchased in the 80's and I've kept it going.  This is the fourth repair I've done on the thing.  Problem was simple enough - thermal fuse had gone.  Just so happens I have suitable replacements in my component stash.  What I didn't have were suitable crimp connectors, so I had to "refurbish" the old ones with a drill bit that was too small for the chuck.  Found a good use for a piece of the centre conductor of 75 ohm coax.

The worst part of this was the oily residue that had accumulated inside the bottom cover.  That was gross and it was everywhere.  I gave that job to SWMBO.  My share was cleaning the wires that had been covered in it.

Anyway, new thermal fuse installed, unit reassembled, cooking completed and household fed.  Good for another 10 years!!  (Sorry - no pics.  They didn't rate in the list of priorities, sadly.)

Now I have to clean up the hurried mess created trying to complete an ad-hoc, top priority repair on a desk that was already in the middle of multiple other tasks.  Good grief ... how do I ever get stuff done in this pig-sty?!!   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56129 on: April 18, 2020, 03:16:24 pm »
Hahaha on it. Thanks for the tip off  :-+

I'm collating all this information and sending it to the Guardian for ref. They print any old shit so might get some further attention away from it.
Good idea maybe they will print a story that his follows won't like and put them off following wackos like him  :-+`

I'm having a little pop at his main follower, the one you had a go at as well. She hails from Barnsley and sounds like a sandwich short of a picnic.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56130 on: April 18, 2020, 03:20:32 pm »
She's a sandwich short of a sandwich  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #56131 on: April 18, 2020, 03:26:28 pm »
confess to being an old geezer, and it took me a month to get discord working on this thinkpad yoga 11.

You and me both. My line of reasoning was more like "my kids use Discord. So, it must be easy. I must use something hard and complicated that won't work unless you're on a net that actually works like Internet was s'posed to. "  Your friendly masochist at work.

was just informed it will be necessary to load zoom in order to attend a local planning commission meeting.

will it be painful?  any advice?

It's hysterically insecure. It's been banned at work.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56132 on: April 18, 2020, 03:32:35 pm »
Discord is quite frankly a piece of shit. Zoom yes it's insecure (to a point) but the main unexpected i.e. not covered in the risk assessment is really zoom bombing which is easy enoguh to get around if you use Zoom Enterprise. We had that set up with Duo SSO and it stops uninvited guests instantly. We certainly know it doesn't do end to end encryption because the thing sends transcripts and recordings after the fact and they have to be stored somewhere.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56133 on: April 18, 2020, 03:40:06 pm »
Todays .....well the last few day's job finally finished....repairs to the tractor bull blade. Chatting to a buddy about this welding job he said he Noah a guy with an ark welder.  ::)

A whole 5kg pack of rods went into this.   

Anyways the old hard edge was busted in a couple of places and been repaired before so replacement time and the son's 14t digger had to lean on the blade to get it straight again before the mission to repair all the deep rust pits and redrill it for the new cutting edge bolt pattern. Just before a final wire power brush and a super heavy coat of PA10.

A good day's work right there.  :-+ Been dere, dunnat, burned the shirt. While I was wearing it.  ;) Messy, sweaty, dag-nasty work that leaves you coughing up rust dust for days; can't count how many blade skegs & backhoe points I built up & coated with nickel and/or borium hardface as a youth. Doubtless a major contributor to my current breathing issues. :-\

mnem
"Don't have enough metal to bolt that onto...? You have a welder; make the metal."~ old man Belmore
:)   Blade renovations outta the way now and time to start looking at the next big task.....little stuff gets fixed all the time of course and not even worth the mention.

3 yard scoop with a very bent gooseneck that needs a complete rework as the crossbeam it's fastened to is a piss weak 7" box made from lengths of 4x3" unequal angle stitched together.  ::) Replacement will be a very heavy walled almost square section I beam with the open sides filled with 3/8" plate.....bend that you bastards !  :horse:
You can see how the gooseneck doesn't line up with the top of the bin and it looks like some twit has buried the cutting edge and then tried to lift it up with the 3pt linkage instead of backing up before he/she/twit did.  :palm:

We got this for free from a buddy that had great plans for it but did bugger all with it so it's worth spending a bitta time turning it into something usable. It also has a hydraulically driven chain elevator using long link snig chain and the sprockets that drive it are also worse for wear.

Anyways you should get the idea of this project in yella looking through/past my homemade extension boom pump in the foreground....it won't be a 5 min job that's for sure but will allow me to crank up the 400A welder some rather than trying to prevent blowing hole in piss thin steel. Progress pics sure to follow.  :)

Mmmmhmmmm... One of my big projects at the welding shop was a 36' custom boat trailer; we made a 5th wheel gooseneck very similar in shape to that from scratch, cut out of Belmore's "tiddly-winks" ( a stack of 7-foot discs of 5/8" plate salvaged from a defunct crane & hoist factory... or was it Goulds pump...? I can't remember now) and notched into a 12 x 18 W-beam, which was then bridged out to a tripod of the same beam & 12 x 8 box tube at the head of a 3-beam 12 x 8 box tube frame. All exposed W-Beam was then boxed with 3/8" plate "for appearance"... the old man was NOT taking any chances on that build. :-DD

One thing I learned on that build... suck it up & put up with the weight of proper welding gear; none of that "Oh, I'll just wear my apron & rancher's gloves" stupidity.  :palm: "Welder's sunburn" happens a lot quicker than you think at those currents... and you best be wearing a #12 or #13 lens (or equivalent auto-helmet), or you're gonna wake up next morning feeling like somebody poured sand in your eyes.  :o

What's it; end of summer there? You may want to wait until it's closer to the "brisk cool" of fall; if y'all get that kind of season over there in Kiwiland...  ;D

mnem
*tzzzt... tzzzzzt... tzzzzzzzzzt-tzzzzt...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56134 on: April 18, 2020, 03:40:52 pm »
She's a sandwich short of a sandwich  :-DD

Step over THIS side of the equator and say that....

I dares ya!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56135 on: April 18, 2020, 03:46:15 pm »
Had to go to local pharmacy to pick up my scripts. It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone out there. Everyone in masks. Stores now have plexiglass barriers or clear plastic strips hanging at the registers. Tick marks on the floor spaced 6 feet. Roads empty of traffic.

Freaking weird.  :scared: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56136 on: April 18, 2020, 03:52:25 pm »
Some quick fun  :-DD

(deleting comments is rate limited for ref which is why you have to spread them out ;) )

if you want to post comments do it tomorrow, he's going to be offline https://youtu.be/iLRDjbnHBwM?t=218

Apparently the 19 of April is a Satanic holiday or something ?  :-DD

I'm guessing that he's going to a party to celebrate someone's birthday (probably a 131st) and it's on a Sunday rather than the actual day (which would be Mon 20th April if I'm correct). One bunch of people I'm quite happy to let have a party and all pass SARS-Cov-2 to each other!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56137 on: April 18, 2020, 03:54:37 pm »
   File under today's  :wtf:

:rant: While highly unusual this is not unheard of for Mid-April. Wake up this morning to this surprise. The grass is already green (in fact needs first mow), the flowers blooming, the trees budding. And we get this.  :palm: It will warm up today and it will be gone. It's not even pretty. It just makes a mess.  |O
Didn't you get the memo? "Climate Change" is a liberal conspiracy. :palm:

You want this? Come and get it. I'll take your sunshine.  :-DD   Shit....it just started snowing again.  :rant: :rant:

Really, if I could, I'd really do it. If it doesn't rain in spring, the summer will become a nightmare. Just look what happened in Down Under.

*Smiles and sips his morning coffee, loving the fact of having actual weather*

mnem
Every farmer knows... rain is life. Take it however you can get it.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56138 on: April 18, 2020, 03:55:04 pm »
a new swinging needle hp 400e arrived this week.  (because of oculus inspired jealousy)

only problem with it was that it appears to work perfectly.  (nothing to fix).  the cal stickers expired 9 years ago, but there is no reason to disturb them.

it seems to be more linear than the hp 3403a around 10 Mhz.  (but when messing with rf do you really care about a couple of mV?)

do i need any more analog hp voltmeters?   nope.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56139 on: April 18, 2020, 03:56:58 pm »
Had to go to local pharmacy to pick up my scripts. It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone out there. Everyone in masks. Stores now have plexiglass barriers or clear plastic strips hanging at the registers. Tick marks on the floor spaced 6 feet. Roads empty of traffic.

As a miserable fucker this is great for me  :-DD

I'm guessing that he's going to a party to celebrate someone's birthday (probably a 131st) and it's on a Sunday rather than the actual day (which would be Mon 20th April if I'm correct). One bunch of people I'm quite happy to let have a party and all pass SARS-Cov-2 to each other!

That took me a couple of minutes to work out  :-DD. You're probably right. Seems the sort.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56140 on: April 18, 2020, 03:57:56 pm »
do i need any more analog hp voltmeters?   nope.

BZZZZT incorrect answer  :-DD

Nice one with the 400E. I rather like them.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56141 on: April 18, 2020, 04:01:58 pm »

Over here they even have face shield on top of everything else  ^-^

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56142 on: April 18, 2020, 04:08:49 pm »

As a miserable fucker this is great for me  :-DD

Ditto. Being the miserable bastard that I am the fewer people I see in one day the happier I am.  :-+

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56143 on: April 18, 2020, 04:09:04 pm »
Discord is quite frankly a piece of shit. Zoom yes it's insecure (to a point) but the main unexpected i.e. not covered in the risk assessment is really zoom bombing which is easy enoguh to get around if you use Zoom Enterprise. We had that set up with Duo SSO and it stops uninvited guests instantly. We certainly know it doesn't do end to end encryption because the thing sends transcripts and recordings after the fact and they have to be stored somewhere.

Zoom is insecure. Here are some reasons why:

A brief look into the client by user THS:
https://dev.io/posts/zoomzoo/

Zero-days for Zoom:
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1250426998532399106

Source (in German:)
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=a067bfbc
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56144 on: April 18, 2020, 04:09:54 pm »

Over here they even have face shield on top of everything else  ^-^

Yea, saw one or two of those too. On some people it actually improves their looks.  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56145 on: April 18, 2020, 04:10:12 pm »

That took me a couple of minutes to work out  :-DD. You're probably right. Seems the sort.

He does look 'that type' doesn't he. My father used to get those sort of chaps sorted out by getting them to have a chat with Mr. Fairbairn-Sykes or Mr. Bren, worked every time.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56146 on: April 18, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
Obligatory burn-in after re-cap. Pounding all the circuits hard with a 10MHz square from the Heath IG-4244.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56147 on: April 18, 2020, 04:21:23 pm »

Zoom is insecure. Here are some reasons why:

A brief look into the client by user THS:
https://dev.io/posts/zoomzoo/

Zero-days for Zoom:
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1250426998532399106

Source (in German:)
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=a067bfbc

Aware of that. We had NCC look at it. They are quite reputable ;) ... All the nasty RCE's require you to be on a call with an attacker, have the attacker initiate the call to start with or require MITM which is difficult. The OpenSSL CVE's are trivial and likely unrelated (low risk). The SQLite vulnerabilities are no worse than your local unencrypted browser password stores etc. I wrote exactly that screen cap functionality for some desktop software a few years back.  None of this is probably an issue if you're using the enterprise version and have full GPO and always on VPNs on all target machines that force you through a fairly competent IDS platform. If you have a problem in that environment then you're up shit creek already for other reasons. It's a trade off, as always. I'd like to see some exploits in the wild for this really. Yes it's shit but there's nothing world ending and your choice is to accept another unknown and a bunch of training to get there or wait for the vendor to fix, which they are, quckly because if they don't then they're in trouble.

I prefer 100% private POTS / VoIP solutions (Asterisk) myself (we do have this!) but that's not how the world works in 2020.

If you want an ironic laugh I discovered a couple of exploits in Black Duck software's vulnerabilty scanning software which they appear to have forgotten to run on themselves  :-DD. That was an interesting meeting with them when I explained that (on zoom  :-DD)

He does look 'that type' doesn't he. My father used to get those sort of chaps sorted out by getting them to have a chat with Mr. Fairbairn-Sykes or Mr. Bren, worked every time.  >:D

Inded. Ah yes. How would you like your extra holes made sir?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:24:18 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56148 on: April 18, 2020, 04:37:36 pm »
I'll leave bd to comment...

"The Radio Society of Great Britain, working in partnership with the NHS, has launched a new campaign called “Get on the air to care” to support the emotional health and wellbeing of 75,000 licensed UK radio amateurs – just some of the 3,000,000 worldwide."
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56149 on: April 18, 2020, 04:41:32 pm »
I'll leave bd to comment...

"The Radio Society of Great Britain, working in partnership with the NHS, has launched a new campaign called “Get on the air to care” to support the emotional health and wellbeing of 75,000 licensed UK radio amateurs – just some of the 3,000,000 worldwide."

You really know how to set me off don't you  :-DD

I'll leave it as per earlier, the usual 599 RST should stand for Racism, Sickness and Thanatophobia instead of Readability, Strength and Tone

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf