Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16678126 times)

shakalnokturn, tautech, wkb, indeterminate, Robert763 and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56075 on: April 17, 2020, 07:46:20 pm »
Does anyone have any lines on the manuals for an HP 208A test oscillator? I took a chance on a local one on the cheap, but it's going to need some TLC. I heard that it's similar to the 204, just adds the voltmeter?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #56076 on: April 17, 2020, 07:57:15 pm »
Does anyone have any lines on the manuals for an HP 208A test oscillator? I took a chance on a local one on the cheap, but it's going to need some TLC. I heard that it's similar to the 204, just adds the voltmeter?

Someone on the HPAK mailing list sent me a scan split in pieces small enough to e-mail.  I haven't gotten to look at it yet, but assuming that it's good will forward it to you later tonight.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #56077 on: April 17, 2020, 08:01:39 pm »

And from what I've learned, the oscillator part at least is the same as the 204B, and HP Archive has a decent scan of that one at least.

http://hparchive.com/Manuals/HP-204B-Manual-sn-416.pdf

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #56078 on: April 17, 2020, 09:04:35 pm »
I got a big kick out of her sister's various time-killing methods between the cowbell parts.  Sina's a very impressive drummer, and has great musical taste.
 :-+ :-+ :-+

-Pat
Yep, considering she started her YT channel just some few years ago and already has more subs than Dave.  :o
Proving good looks and boobs do sell !  :-DD

Check out her latest....a bit heavier rock and roll than many of here might like but she really gets into it:
https://www.youtube.com/user/sinadrumming/videos
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56079 on: April 17, 2020, 09:11:50 pm »
I have been playing with the Adalm-Pluto (40-6000Mhz SDR radio) lately. Someone made a spectrum analyzer software for the device and it's pretty good. The transmitter can be used as a tracking generator and you can measure S21.

The software in question is SATSAGEN http://www.albfer.com/en/.

This is what it look like when analyzing a 2.4Ghz bandpass filter from 50Mhz to 6Ghz.

The spectrum analyzer is also pretty accurate. Was using my signal generator (IFR2025) to output a tone at 2.4Ghz -20 dBm.

This is the same tone with FM modulation.

and the output of the generator is not that bad. This is what it look like from my Agilent E4406A. Again 2.4Ghz, -20dBm.

Overall that software make the Adalm-Pluto a neat little tool. I'm pretty happy  :-+

To tell the truth, I started a similar project a while ago but never got really far and was put on hold at some point like a lot of my projects  :-DD I'm glad someone made something similar, now I can just use it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:21:45 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, syau, 0culus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56080 on: April 17, 2020, 09:29:03 pm »
With a 6Ghz highpass filter (at the output of the tracking generator) you can push the note a little bit and use the third harmonic to sweep from 6 to 12Ghz  ;D

With my setup the sweep is really only usable from 6 to 9.5Ghz. This is the output of the sweep from 6 to 12Ghz.

Too bad I have nothing to analyze in that frequency range :-DD
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:32:16 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, 0culus

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56081 on: April 17, 2020, 10:12:39 pm »
everybody OK in here?

I'm trying to brew up a real post for you guys...
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #56082 on: April 17, 2020, 10:42:54 pm »
everybody OK in here?

I'm trying to brew up a real post for you guys...

Define 'OK'...  :P  By my standards I'd say I'm fine, though many 'normal' people would likely differ with that assessment.   :-//

-Pat

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56083 on: April 17, 2020, 10:48:41 pm »
I thought we were all mentalists here  :popcorn:

That adalm-Pluto is crazy good for the price. Added to want list  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56084 on: April 17, 2020, 11:13:40 pm »

I got mine in pre-release, was 99$ at the time  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:15:16 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #56085 on: April 17, 2020, 11:29:02 pm »
I thought we were all mentalists here  :popcorn:

Fixed.   ;D

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56086 on: April 17, 2020, 11:34:53 pm »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56087 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:57 pm »
...I could SWEAR I remember reading that HP P/N 19511-80014 had a part number because it was in fact a tool; specifically, a part of the special shipping crate for one of their removable media "washing machine" HDDs like the 7925 & 7935. The client was expected to keep the crate in case the HDD required shipping back for service; P/N 19511-80014 was used as a "transit lock" to keep the disc pack held up from the drive spindle and to lock the heads so they couldn't hammer against anything. Of course I can't find anything which corroborates that assertion now, so Rick Jones' description as belonging to the much smaller sealed-unit 7939 Winchester drive appears to be the sole remaining definitive answer.  :-//
Definitely from a late 80s Winnie, possibly from a cabinet-under-the-desk 300MB drive.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=394

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=252

Something like these?  Since you appear to have first-hand knowledge; can you explain where exactly the "Stick of Wisdom" went in the packaging, that HP felt it was important enough to give it a P/N? Did it like get clamped up against the front of the whole unit to keep the drives from being able to shift in the cabinet, or was it used with the bare drive somehow...?  :-//

Trying to understand the technical side of this HP artifact; since we already know so much about its lore as a cluestick.  :o

mnem
Gravity always wins.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56088 on: April 17, 2020, 11:48:24 pm »

Here ya go bd... Now dooya feel better about the price in your neck of the woods...? :o

Kosmic, way to bring the suck. And rub it in.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off for some daddy-dwagonlet time*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56089 on: April 17, 2020, 11:54:54 pm »
...I could SWEAR I remember reading that HP P/N 19511-80014 had a part number because it was in fact a tool; specifically, a part of the special shipping crate for one of their removable media "washing machine" HDDs like the 7925 & 7935. The client was expected to keep the crate in case the HDD required shipping back for service; P/N 19511-80014 was used as a "transit lock" to keep the disc pack held up from the drive spindle and to lock the heads so they couldn't hammer against anything. Of course I can't find anything which corroborates that assertion now, so Rick Jones' description as belonging to the much smaller sealed-unit 7939 Winchester drive appears to be the sole remaining definitive answer.  :-//
Definitely from a late 80s Winnie, possibly from a cabinet-under-the-desk 300MB drive.

Something like these?  Since you appear to have first-hand knowledge; can you explain where exactly the "Stick of Wisdom" went in the packaging, that HP felt it was important enough to give it a P/N? Did it like get clamped up against the front of the whole unit to keep the drives from being able to shift in the cabinet, or was it used with the bare drive somehow...?  :-//

Trying to understand the technical side of this HP artifact; since we already know so much about its lore as a cluestick.  :o

mnem
Gravity always wins.

Connected to an s300 bobcat, yes. But more like the form factor of the cabinet. Or maybe one replaced the other.

Hell, it was almost a third of a century ago, and these things were replaced so regularly and without asking that they were little more than ephemera. I'm amazed I remember anything about the packaging!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56090 on: April 18, 2020, 12:17:57 am »

Here ya go bd... Now dooya feel better about the price in your neck of the woods...? :o

Kosmic, way to bring the suck. And rub it in.  >:D

mnem
*toddles off for some daddy-dwagonlet time*

You should check DigiKey. it's 140$ US now they have like 300 in stock.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56091 on: April 18, 2020, 12:32:17 am »

mnem
Gravity always wins.
All that space for just 304MB, my or my how things have changed  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56092 on: April 18, 2020, 12:37:55 am »

mnem
Gravity always wins.
All that space for just 304MB, my or my how things have changed  :-DD

I remember hard disks that were about a yard in diameter, with a horizontal axis - and had 10MB capacity.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56093 on: April 18, 2020, 01:03:07 am »
I remember hard disks that were about a yard in diameter, with a horizontal axis - and had 10MB capacity.

And that took walls down if they didn't like their bearings and 'went for a walk'. Apocryphally anyway.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56094 on: April 18, 2020, 01:07:43 am »

And that took walls down if they didn't like their bearings and 'went for a walk'. Apocryphally anyway.
Yes, I remember Dave did a video about some early hard discs and they were massive, hence why I said how things have changed.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #56095 on: April 18, 2020, 01:14:17 am »

Yes, I remember Dave did a video about some early hard discs and they were massive, hence why I said how things have changed.

My first startup built first generation Unix workstations. Actually shipped before Sun, who eventually ate our lunch.  The hard drive was comprised of three 24 inch platters for a total of 8 MBytes of storage. It sounded like a jet engine when it spun up.
specialization is for insects.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56096 on: April 18, 2020, 01:55:16 am »
Sorry to sort of sideswipe you guys.

Electronics and the internet both, it's a love hate thing.

I have a character flaw; unlike BD, I don't let things go.  Every failed repair stacks up, taunting me.

But that's all off topic.  This post is mainly for Worsthose, who I hope finds this well.

Quarantine day 30 something...NTSB hangar of the 561, this chassis was filthy

still a lot of work to do

this might be controversial, but you did indicate that you hoped it would be used, I hate cutting up the paint, but there was just no room

hmmmm, my usual image posting toolchain seems to have suffered "improvements" tonight, anybody else having to click through to get those?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 02:16:54 am by WastelandTek »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #56097 on: April 18, 2020, 02:21:26 am »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: WastelandTek

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56098 on: April 18, 2020, 02:34:08 am »
      http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=394   http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=252

Something like these?  Since you appear to have first-hand knowledge; can you explain where exactly the "Stick of Wisdom" went in the packaging, that HP felt it was important enough to give it a P/N? Did it like get clamped up against the front of the whole unit to keep the drives from being able to shift in the cabinet, or was it used with the bare drive somehow...?  :-//   Trying to understand the technical side of this HP artifact; since we already know so much about its lore as a cluestick.  :o

mnem
Gravity always wins.

Connected to an s300 bobcat, yes. But more like the form factor of the cabinet. Or maybe one replaced the other. Hell, it was almost a third of a century ago, and these things were replaced so regularly and without asking that they were little more than ephemera. I'm amazed I remember anything about the packaging!

Sorry... didn't mean to put ya on the spot there. It's just frustrating to find everything you thought you knew about something like this was wrong, but still not be able to find out what is the right answer.  |O

mnem
*toddles off to print... something.*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56099 on: April 18, 2020, 03:03:32 am »
Sorry to sort of sideswipe you guys.

Electronics and the internet both, it's a love hate thing.

I have a character flaw; unlike BD, I don't let things go.  Every failed repair stacks up, taunting me.

But that's all off topic.  This post is mainly for Worsthose, who I hope finds this well.

Quarantine day 30 something...NTSB hangar of the 561, this chassis was filthy

......snip

Now that's dedication. But did you consider the Simple Green, hose down, bake option? Would have saved you the effort of the complete rebuild. And what about a set of plug-ins? Going to give them the same treatment? Tearing those down to parts I would think would be a total nightmare.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: WastelandTek

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf