Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16679688 times)

RolandK and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #56050 on: April 17, 2020, 02:47:21 pm »
That worked really well. We've got mandatory vaccinations coming in now.
That's not a win. That's a lose lose situation with the underlying problem still persisting. Better than not doing anything but it's a sad outcome regardless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56051 on: April 17, 2020, 03:10:23 pm »
You can't teach stupid people so don't even try.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #56052 on: April 17, 2020, 03:16:16 pm »
Speaking of Pimping anyone want some Classic HP memorabilia?      eBay auction: #184193415940

I find the listing a bit suspect; it does remind me of the auction a few years ago which my pic of that part came from. I'd like to see it from all sides; it doesn't look like it has the notch in one end (so cut to fit inside the HDD cassette and act as a travel lock) that makes it a HP part rather than just cribbing from a crate.
You can clearly see that it does not have the same notch that yours has, so if yours is the real deal, then this one is clearly an imposter.  >:D
That notch is an unauthorized modification of the original "pit-prop".
@tgggzzz:

Hmmm... after reviewing the extant evidence regarding HP P/N 19511-80014, I suspect you may be correct.

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Networking/Accessing-to-dev-lan0-with-a-Gb-card/td-p/3193234#.Xpm_cpkpAuU

http://www.yqcomputer.com/213_1146_3.htm

https://www.motherboardpoint.com/threads/notebook-hd.179203/page-2

Even considering how short was my time as a HP ASP, I know the name Rick Jones. In several posts, he describes HP P/N 19511-80014 thusly:

Quote from:  Rick Jones of HP notoriety

I believe you may be thinking of the "HP Attitude Adjustor" HP P/N 19511-80014, one example of which sits atop my monitor. It is a peice
of "2x2" (1.5'x1.5') just a bit more than 19" long that was IIRC used as part of the packing of an HP 7939 "Eagle" 8" Winchester disc drive.

One could also easily make play swords from the foam packing materials for the 400 MB removable disc packs of a 7935. :) Alas I still have
neither the 7935 removable disc pack, nor one of the foam swords. Ah, the joys of youth :)

rick jones
--
Given this item is described as being a 2x2 stud 19" long by a fellow of some repute within HP with a known authentic example thereof, I'm guessing my example photo of one approx 14" long with a notch cut out is an original HP P/N 19511-80014 that was either customized for some arcane reason, or that it is the remainder of one which was used as donor material and later retrieved from some scrap pile.  :-\

*sigh* History is written by the winners and the survivors... both points of view tend to strongly color the record of any event.

mnem
"...And if you or anyone else knows anyone or any vendor that is still using LLA, please apply an HP P/N 19511-80014 to their craniums (gently please :)) and get them migrating yeasterday"

rick jones
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:14:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56053 on: April 17, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »
You can't teach stupid people so don't even try.
Okay, I'll stop.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #56054 on: April 17, 2020, 03:22:13 pm »
Do we know what his employer does...?

He wouldn't happen to supply protective systems for the communications industry by any chance?
@Brumby What makes ask that, did you spot something on his blog?

Nothing spotted - Just looking at a simple "job security" conspiracy theory.  Tell the muppets all sort of garbage so they attack communications targets.  If you were in the right industry, that could translate into increased business.

If so, that could be a business plan to ride out the restrictions.

/hypothetical

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56055 on: April 17, 2020, 03:31:06 pm »
Imho it is also about the other people which are undecided yet. If they see that there are some contrary opinions (perhaps only for a short time) this may help. Without any opposition they could develop the impression that he is right.

But the other side is also right, meaning: don't give him any attention and report him.
I think, everybody has to find a balance for himself about this, there is no golden way.

That's why I advocate the "one vented spleen per customer" policy.   :palm:  I get the need to tell this asshole to his face that he's an asshole; do that and report him to whomever you can think of that might actually be able to do something about his domestic terrorism. But then, move on with your life.

Any more than that is just feeding the troll.   

This is especially true if he has in fact gone to moderated mode; anything you say will be for his asshole eyes only.
::)

mnem
You can teach ignorance away, but you can't fix stupid.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56056 on: April 17, 2020, 03:51:30 pm »
Some details now Graham Steele  :-// http://search.electoralcommission.org.uk/Registrations/PP6712
That’s the one. Got his address already and have reported him to the authorities. Every single video and comment has been submitted so far. He has several more aliases apparently.
The more attention you draw to stupid ideas the quicker they get dealt with. Edit: Did some digging. Graham is his brother. Not an alias.

See? Now THIS is something constructive. If the brother has real political aspirations, blowback from from association with this shithead's wingnuttery will fuck him up bigtime.

Make sure to report the brother as a collaborator in his domestic terrorism. Then it becomes real live conspiracy, and will bring scrutiny from agencies with very little patience and a tendency to lock you away now and ask questions later. If you're lucky.
If the rest of us are lucky, Graham may have his fill of the shitsplatter effect quickly; and give him a brotherly    attitude adjustment.

mnem
I think we're done here, Mr Steele."   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:03:56 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56057 on: April 17, 2020, 04:17:20 pm »
Speaking of Pimping anyone want some Classic HP memorabilia?      eBay auction: #184193415940

I find the listing a bit suspect; it does remind me of the auction a few years ago which my pic of that part came from. I'd like to see it from all sides; it doesn't look like it has the notch in one end (so cut to fit inside the HDD cassette and act as a travel lock) that makes it a HP part rather than just cribbing from a crate.
You can clearly see that it does not have the same notch that yours has, so if yours is the real deal, then this one is clearly an imposter.  >:D
That notch is an unauthorized modification of the original "pit-prop".
@tgggzzz:

Hmmm... after reviewing the extant evidence regarding HP P/N 19511-80014, I suspect you may be correct.

I have no doubt that's correct. Judging by the mud on it, it has clearly been "in the wars".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56058 on: April 17, 2020, 05:15:56 pm »
Been busy doing a re-cap of the Tek 2430 PSU. This is the same scope where I replaced the NVRAM battery a few weeks ago. Decided it would be prudent to re-cap the PSU too.

So, upon removal of the cover this top board and the one sandwiched underneath it must come out as they did for the battery change.

Once those boards are removed this shield must be removed off the PSU.

PSU after shield removal.

Getting the PSU out isn't difficult but it is extremely tight. Here it is on the bench.

RIFA madness! Yep, they are cracked. This alone made going in worth it.

The IC on lower left is a SG3525AN PWM controller. I've seen YT videos for other Tek supplies where this IC tends to crap out. And I suspect this IC in the parts mule PSU is defective. I purchased 2 and have them on hand just in case.

And here is the total amount of caps replaced. Some of the caps with the red plugs showed what looked like signs of slight leakage around the pins but had not leaked through the clear sealant. So this was definitely worth the effort.

Are we good? We good! Clean power up and no boot errors.  :-+ :-+

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:45:17 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, Kosmic, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56059 on: April 17, 2020, 05:35:12 pm »
Make sure you send those RIFAs to hell

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56060 on: April 17, 2020, 05:45:43 pm »
That worked really well. We've got mandatory vaccinations coming in now.
Well if that happens, it should help to kill him off, because that was part of his theory that the vaccine would contain certain metals that re-act negatively to microwaves . Now anyone with just a single brain cell should start to question, why is it that every government in the world wants to commit genocide on its people, because CV is global, not national.

The only scenario that would that could support that, would one where all the world leaders were in fact aliens and immune the metal / microwave radiation theory and they wanted to colonise the Earth with their own kind but first had to destroy the human race, like the TV series V  :palm:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56061 on: April 17, 2020, 05:46:13 pm »
@tgggzzz:

I have no doubt that's correct. Judging by the mud on it, it has clearly been "in the wars".

Yeah; the foggy recollections of yesteryear refuse to yield any more data to use as search parameters.  |O

I could SWEAR I remember reading that HP P/N 19511-80014 had a part number because it was in fact a tool; specifically, a part of the special shipping crate for one of their removable media "washing machine" HDDs like the 7925 & 7935. The client was expected to keep the crate in case the HDD required shipping back for service; P/N 19511-80014 was used as a "transit lock" to keep the disc pack held up from the drive spindle and to lock the heads so they couldn't hammer against anything. Of course I can't find anything which corroborates that assertion now, so Rick Jones' description as belonging to the much smaller sealed-unit 7939 Winchester drive appears to be the sole remaining definitive answer.  :-//

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=274

https://archive.is/20121212105855/http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/RigidDisk.html

https://archive.is/sturgeon.css.psu.edu

Here's an interesting bit of history I stumbled across while searching... it might prove an interesting diversion for a few minutes given the historical context and how uncharacteristically technically accurate the reporting appears to be; while not error-free, it is apparent they definitely had folks who knew what they were talking about do some fact-checking before publishing:

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/10/business/new-from-silicon-valley-the-winchester-drive.html

mnem
*slowly building an armada of 3DBenchys*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:49:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56062 on: April 17, 2020, 05:49:07 pm »
Imho it is also about the other people which are undecided yet. If they see that there are some contrary opinions (perhaps only for a short time) this may help. Without any opposition they could develop the impression that he is right.

But the other side is also right, meaning: don't give him any attention and report him.
I think, everybody has to find a balance for himself about this, there is no golden way.

That's why I advocate the "one vented spleen per customer" policy.   :palm:  I get the need to tell this asshole to his face that he's an asshole; do that and report him to whomever you can think of that might actually be able to do something about his domestic terrorism. But then, move on with your life.

Any more than that is just feeding the troll.   

This is especially true if he has in fact gone to moderated mode; anything you say will be for his asshole eyes only.
::)

mnem
You can teach ignorance away, but you can't fix stupid.
This is precisely what he has been doing all  the time since he started blogging, I have yet to find a single descenting comment, so he is not monitoring just because of what we have done.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56063 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:12 pm »
Been busy doing a re-cap of the Tek 2430 PSU. This is the same scope where I replaced the NVRAM battery a few weeks ago. Decided it would be prudent to re-cap the PSU too.

(SNIP)      Are we good? We good! Clean power up and no boot errors.  :-+ :-+

Oooooh... lookit that nice crisp trace.  :-+ Well done, ya blue-arsed beeyotch:-DD

Looks like overall a much more sensible design than the 2235.  :phew: It had the SMPS on the mainboard and dozens of push buttons on that hinged top digital acquisition board plus a now-unobtanium special "stopless" pot; all of which were notorious for getting broken due to embrittlement and handling. |O

mnem
*currently enjoying that illusion known as lunchtime*

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56064 on: April 17, 2020, 06:17:37 pm »
Comedy gold. The tower they killed on our street is being replaced with a shiny 5g monopole tower  :-DD :-DD :-DD
I'm wondering if this incident 2 days ago was related to his site, 2 teenagers were starting a fire on the roof of a block of flats in the early hours, they were arrested and awaiting court appearance. Not sure if there is a telecommunications antenna on that building or not, I'll check it out when I go shopping later.  :-//

Drove by the building this report refers to and the only thing that likes an aerial is a single dipole, possibly a lightening conductor?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56065 on: April 17, 2020, 06:20:11 pm »
Comedy gold. The tower they killed on our street is being replaced with a shiny 5g monopole tower  :-DD :-DD :-DD
I'm wondering if this incident 2 days ago was related to his site, 2 teenagers were starting a fire on the roof of a block of flats in the early hours, they were arrested and awaiting court appearance. Not sure if there is a telecommunications antenna on that building or not, I'll check it out when I go shopping later.  :-//

Drove by the building this report refers to and the only thing that likes an aerial is a single dipole, possibly a lightening conductor?

Yeah might be that or FM.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #56066 on: April 17, 2020, 06:23:35 pm »
@bd any more word on the 5G Muppet? Seems I will have to be more insulting or add a link next time as my comment still exists  >:D
Hi Bean, yes this is his latest video released this morning, the nutter

EDIT, he is saying that he is an expert  :palm: and he is now refering to him self as Bob, so is his name Bob, Mark or Anthony or none of them?

umm, why is he wearing two pairs of sunglasses? someone just tell me as i can't abide the thought of actually looking at the video. 

the only difference between him and most of the deep-state-illuminati-conspiracy-tin foil-hat-don't-tread-on-me-nutters in the united states is that ours are, too frequently, also well-armed.
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56067 on: April 17, 2020, 06:26:01 pm »
He was well armed. He shot a girl in 1993 apparently.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56068 on: April 17, 2020, 06:27:46 pm »

Or an abandoned TV from someone's rooftop garden decades ago... :-DD *

mnem
*yes, I know that's patently ridiculous. But also funny.  ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56069 on: April 17, 2020, 06:39:28 pm »

Or an abandoned TV from someone's rooftop garden decades ago... :-DD *

mnem
*yes, I know that's patently ridiculous. But also funny.  ;)
I think I can disregard both the FM and the TV theory as this block of flats is only about 10 years old and it is not normal for developers to provide a communal radio aerial, TV yes but radio NO. The dipole is right close to the edge of the building and there is a lightening conductor running down the wall close to it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56070 on: April 17, 2020, 06:41:33 pm »

And as is typical of his type, he missed his target and hit a bystander.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:54:12 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #56072 on: April 17, 2020, 06:54:47 pm »

You mean, med should send them to you so you can blow them up (giving them hell)?  :-DD

Message #14000, congrats :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:27:03 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56073 on: April 17, 2020, 06:56:34 pm »
@tgggzzz:

Yeah; the foggy recollections of yesteryear refuse to yield any more data to use as search parameters.  |O

I could SWEAR I remember reading that HP P/N 19511-80014 had a part number because it was in fact a tool; specifically, a part of the special shipping crate for one of their removable media "washing machine" HDDs like the 7925 & 7935. The client was expected to keep the crate in case the HDD required shipping back for service; P/N 19511-80014 was used as a "transit lock" to keep the disc pack held up from the drive spindle and to lock the heads so they couldn't hammer against anything. Of course I can't find anything which corroborates that assertion now, so Rick Jones' description as belonging to the much smaller sealed-unit 7939 Winchester drive appears to be the sole remaining definitive answer.  :-//

Definitely from a late 80s Winnie, possibly from a cabinet-under-the-desk 300MB drive.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #56074 on: April 17, 2020, 07:42:35 pm »

You mean, med should send them to you so you can blow them up (giving them hell)?  :-DD

They have already been sent to eternal damnation.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf