Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16680884 times)

Original and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55950 on: April 16, 2020, 04:26:21 pm »
(Yes, I got 2.)

I have three. Together they have 22.5 digits.  ;D
Currently they are stored at some friends of mine. Will get them later this year hopefully.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55951 on: April 16, 2020, 04:27:35 pm »
Finally completed a project between incidents, albeit not totally TE related. I got the Metcal out for it though  :-+

Illumination for display #2 going in...

Final install taped up like a supermodel.

Three heads are better than one :-DD. This is all running off the T470 in a dock.

The electronics are going to be moved to bench 2 which is behind me as everyone eats dinner on the sofa anyway  :-+
The result looks great. Maybe print up some proper brackets for the led strips?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55952 on: April 16, 2020, 04:35:54 pm »
that's a good idea. Might do that  :-+

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55953 on: April 16, 2020, 04:50:15 pm »
(Yes, I got 2.)

I was talking about power cables..., and I'm well satisfied with my 5.5 digits.  That can get me into enough trouble on its own.  The 4 wire measurement is the key feature I will enjoy the most.

For the cost of shipping here in Oz, if I only got one, then the total cost would have been around 3x the cord cost.  By getting 2, the total cost per cord was closer to 2x.

For the record - this is the first time I've ever paid money for an IEC power cord (outside of cords that came with a product.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:52:04 pm by Brumby »

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #55954 on: April 16, 2020, 04:53:52 pm »

My project this week: installing a new power line (5x 16mm²) from our basement to the main electrical distribution panelboard.
The old power line comes down from the roof but this will change now in the near future. Im living in a small village in an old house (build around 1876 or so).

Does this count?  ;D

That late. Here the change from overhead lines to underground cables was 20 or more years ago. Luckily enough, the electrician left the old cable from the roof to the panel in place and didn't cut the wires too short, so I could reuse this as a dedicated power line for my lab supply.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55955 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:37 pm »
(Yes, I got 2.)

Currently they are stored at some friends of mine. Will get them later this year hopefully.

Sweet.

Your tasks will then be to get three connectors, connect them in parallel to a suitably stable source, and display all three readings simultaneously. For bonus points, measure the noise.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55956 on: April 16, 2020, 05:00:16 pm »
(Yes, I got 2.)

I was talking about power cables...,

Me too. Count the power cords in the picture.  :-DD

and I'm well satisfied with my 5.5 digits.  That can get me into enough trouble on its own.  The 4 wire measurement is the key feature I will enjoy the most.

Every story has it's beginning. This is yours.   ;D  :-DMM  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55957 on: April 16, 2020, 05:09:46 pm »
(Yes, I got 2.)

Sweet.

Your tasks will then be to get three connectors, connect them in parallel to a suitably stable source, and display all three readings simultaneously. For bonus points, measure the noise.

Yes. The thing is: I've bought from this seller (ebay Kleinanzeigen) just one of them, got a lower price than he was asking for. (wanted 350 Euros, got it finally for 280 including the cable with the Fischer connector). Then, three weeks later or so he came back to me and asked, if I want to buy another two of them. He found them in his basement, condition unkown. Offered me them for 100 Euro per device. And guess what? I said yes.  :palm:
So, I'll check them first if they are working. If not, I hopefully have then one or two parts mule. But by the look I think chances are good that they'll work. If they are working, I'm considering to offer them here. If somebody would be interested.  :-//   

Offline pa3hfu

• Contributor
« Reply #55958 on: April 16, 2020, 05:11:35 pm »
Finally completed a project between incidents, albeit not totally TE related. I got the Metcal out for it though  :-+

Three heads are better than one :-DD. This is all running off the T470 in a dock.

The electronics are going to be moved to bench 2 which is behind me as everyone eats dinner on the sofa anyway  :-+
The result looks great. Maybe print up some proper brackets for the led strips?

Nice to run FlightSimulator!  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55959 on: April 16, 2020, 05:16:35 pm »
Are all y'all feeling all right? Is the cabin fever treating everyone okay?
How DARE you say that to me! I demand satisfaction! Take this cutlass and step outside this instant!

Fine. Why would you think otherwise?  Oh, did I say that out loud?

Oh... a Sunday drive... on Thursday...? How adventuresome!  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:26:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55960 on: April 16, 2020, 05:18:36 pm »
I'm seeing people crack up right before my eyes. You all need to go wash windows or something before it becomes permanent.  :-DD
Speak for yourself, me, oh I'm just fine, just been wrestling with a tumble-drier thats decided to shred its drive belt  :-DD I feel a new one will be coming soon, CBA to fuck about stripping out the motor and the drum to slip a new belt on it, only find that something else is going to go soon  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55961 on: April 16, 2020, 05:22:50 pm »

Bench 2 being the table yeah? looking good with 2 monitors, I used to have mine like that when I was working from home, now I have my stack of TE where the 1st monitor is and the other monitor is my boys room as a spare  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55962 on: April 16, 2020, 05:25:38 pm »
LOL... That is literally the DEFINITION of a riddle; some seemingly incongruous statement that would make sense if only it were placed in proper context. :-DD

This is why I put those garish headings over some of my posts: I know we are communicating in a vacuum here; using only the written word and devoid of the usual secondary and tertiary channels people take for granted while having a conversation like facial expression, body language, vocal tone and hand gestures.

I know it may SEEM like the context is obvious; but it's not, at least here in this limited space. Be gratuitous, egregious even with context; you'll sow much less confusion in the minds of those you are trying to communicate with.
;)

mnem
"I dunno... fly casual."
A riddle provides only the most essential dots and requires you to connect them in a clever and usually unexpected manner. This was just the full picture, with perhaps an unconnected line. It was all there, essentially. But, point taken. Low expectations may still exceed reality. Consider them adjusted.  >:D

Speaking of which, the cunt1 is still going.

1) Cunt is insulting slang for an unpleasant person. In this case it's referring to a neighbour who's been making a lot of noise with his grinder all day. A lot of noise is considered unpleasant by many people. I'm part of people in general and this specific subset of people. This means I consider this noise unpleasant.

:-+ for gratuitous use of egregious-ness.   :-DD

mnem
So-o-o-o-o bored...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55963 on: April 16, 2020, 05:33:32 pm »
I'm seeing people crack up right before my eyes. You all need to go wash windows or something before it becomes permanent.  :-DD

My project this week: installing a new power line (5x 16mm²) from our basement to the main electrical distribution panelboard.
The old power line comes down from the roof but this will change now in the near future. Im living in a small village in an old house (build around 1876 or so).

Does this count?  ;D

That's great.  :-+ But some of these other blokes need to find something to do. This stay at home stuff is bringing out the looney tunes.

I've had a year and a half to adjust to "stay at home" so this is no big deal to me. I always make a point of planning at least a day before what to do the next day and typically I do carry out that plan. Keeps me sane. But of course sometimes I deviate from that plan or decide screw it and do nothing. But I give myself options rather than stare at the wall and say "now what the hell do I do?"  :-DD
You and me both then, this is my third year of staying in, no adjustment required here  :-DD It would be nice to be able to go out if you wanted to though to get the odd bit of TE for example that is only offered on a collection only basis  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55964 on: April 16, 2020, 05:40:59 pm »
LOL... That is literally the DEFINITION of a riddle; some seemingly incongruous statement that would make sense if only it were placed in proper context. :-DD

This is why I put those garish headings over some of my posts: I know we are communicating in a vacuum here; using only the written word and devoid of the usual secondary and tertiary channels people take for granted while having a conversation like facial expression, body language, vocal tone and hand gestures.

I know it may SEEM like the context is obvious; but it's not, at least here in this limited space. Be gratuitous, egregious even with context; you'll sow much less confusion in the minds of those you are trying to communicate with.
;)

mnem
"I dunno... fly casual."
A riddle provides only the most essential dots and requires you to connect them in a clever and usually unexpected manner. This was just the full picture, with perhaps an unconnected line. It was all there, essentially. But, point taken. Low expectations may still exceed reality. Consider them adjusted.  >:D

Speaking of which, the cunt1 is still going.

1) Cunt is insulting slang for an unpleasant person. In this case it's referring to a neighbour who's been making a lot of noise with his grinder all day. A lot of noise is considered unpleasant by many people. I'm part of people in general and this specific subset of people. This means I consider this noise unpleasant.

mnem
So-o-o-o-o bored...

Over here on this pond side we don't use that word in reference to males. It's reserved for females who have gone well beyond the "B" stage. I can tell you that if you call a Spanish woman their equivalent of that word there will be knives.  :scared:

In your case the noisy individual would simply be an asshole.   ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55965 on: April 16, 2020, 05:49:23 pm »
Over here on this pond side we don't use that word in reference to males. It's reserved for females who have gone well beyond the "B" stage. I can tell you that if you call a Spanish woman their equivalent of that word there will be knives.  :scared:

I'm not exactly looking to make friends with this asshole cunt.  ;D On an entirely unrelated note, I found some impressive model building.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 05:53:26 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55966 on: April 16, 2020, 05:51:56 pm »
I'm So-o-o-o-o BORED...

...that I'm coloring fan spacers with a blue Sharpie by turning them on a pencil chucked up in a drill.  :palm:

Actually, I'm procrastinating. I want to investigate the problems I was having with the hybrid hotend on my 3DP; after looking at several videos on how the hotend works, I've come to the contusion that short of spending a small fortune on a FLIR, I need to put a thermometer on the transition area of the heat break (cringe) and measure temps while it's working.

Several ways I can do this. The quick & easy way (aside from spending the bux on a FLIR) would be to buy a k-type thermocouple for the 189. they're cheap, and I can get 20 of 'em here tomorrow for $23.

The quick & dirty way would be to attach this 100K NTC3950 thermistor I already have and measure the resistance for my testing, then convert those measurements using the table from the datasheet.

The over-the-top way would be to add another sensor channel to my 3DP in Marlin; this would require actually LEARNING how to tinker in the FW ( I know I have to EVENTUALLY, but not right now, dad ::)) and recompile it. It would also require either configuring Repetier Host/OctoPrint or reverse-engineering the GUI on the touchscreen so it displays the temp on the home page. Ugggh.

I'd really rather eat worms.
  |O

mnem
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:14:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55967 on: April 16, 2020, 06:00:43 pm »

mnem
So-o-o-o-o bored...

Which word? gratuitous or egregious...? or BORED...?  ;)

mnem
I am NOT a asshole. I am a whole ass. You may call me whole or ass, or mr. ass if you prefer.   >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55968 on: April 16, 2020, 06:06:11 pm »

mnem
So-o-o-o-o bored...

mnem
I am NOT a asshole. I am a whole ass. You may call me whole or ass, or mr. ass if you prefer.   >:D

Not you..... ahem.....Mr ass. Scram's noisy neighbor.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55969 on: April 16, 2020, 06:08:25 pm »

mnem
Ass and a half? That's three half asses, or 1.5 full moons for the metric crowd.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55970 on: April 16, 2020, 06:10:37 pm »
Thank you both for the courtesy. Caps are not required; I consider them pretentious.  ;)

mnem
EXCEPT WHEN I'M SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS!

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55971 on: April 16, 2020, 06:12:30 pm »
was planning to see my daughter this week end, went to my car and found my left rear tire to be spiked.
If I can find that cunt who did that I'll be getting out the Burdizzo clamp.

as for insulting folks, I think Gunnery Sergeant Hartman is hard to beat.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55972 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:55 pm »

I dropped in to check the thread in between making an emergency steel cut oatmeal cookie delivery to a friend and first responder (while masked, walking alone, and maintaining proper physical distance whilst we shouted through his front door.  ;D) and doing outdoor chores and noticed this, too.

Maybe some of you guys need a hobby? Like, I dunno, collecting and repairing ancient and obscure electronic test equipment?

Oh, wait...
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55973 on: April 16, 2020, 06:33:27 pm »
was planning to see my daughter this week end, went to my car and found my left rear tire to be spiked.
If I can find that cunt who did that I'll be getting out the Burdizzo clamp.

as for insulting folks, I think Gunnery Sergeant Hartman is hard to beat.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55974 on: April 16, 2020, 06:34:42 pm »

I dropped in to check the thread in between making an emergency steel cut oatmeal cookie delivery to a friend and first responder (while masked, walking alone, and maintaining proper physical distance whilst we shouted through his front door.  ;D) and doing outdoor chores and noticed this, too.

Maybe some of you guys need a hobby? Like, I dunno, collecting and repairing ancient and obscure electronic test equipment?

Oh, wait...
LOL.
Or engineering, lathes, coffee burning roasting, flying, RC toys, shooting .....if you really wanna turn heads and piss the neighbors off (we do regularly  >:D )

A couple of days down the workshop here catching up on busted stuff and creating a good amount of din with a 9" grinder and bashing shit straight with the sledgy. Radio muffs so can even hear the neighbors complaining......stuff em anyways, we on a mission and got things to do ! How dare they think they might impede progress !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf