Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16694205 times)

Carl_Smith and 91 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55350 on: April 11, 2020, 12:16:09 pm »
Yes they get a bit stringy then.

Have half built the Elecraft K160RX so far today.  :-+. Going to chuck a wire up in a tree later and see if I can tune it to 160m. Silly idea. Absolutely no chance of working  :palm:

If you are THAT bored, I could send you one or two of my projects.  :-DD  :-/O
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55351 on: April 11, 2020, 12:32:25 pm »
I still have that repair the Nakamichi OMS3 with parts from an OMS4 sitting here. The laser assembly from the 3 seems ok, however the drive mechanics and control seem toast. The OMS4 has a dead laser but the drive works.

do you volunteer ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55352 on: April 11, 2020, 12:53:44 pm »

Have half built the Elecraft K160RX so far today.  :-+. Going to chuck a wire up in a tree later and see if I can tune it to 160m. Silly idea. Absolutely no chance of working  :palm:

Getting that way  :-DD

Lunch was a success other than the egg committed suicide when I flipped it.

Final product. Bread was used to clean up the pan of bacon fat and oil before the beans went in  8)

Need to use two rashers of bacon next time. One is not enough bacon  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55353 on: April 11, 2020, 12:55:38 pm »
I still have that repair the Nakamichi OMS3 with parts from an OMS4 sitting here. The laser assembly from the 3 seems ok, however the drive mechanics and control seem toast. The OMS4 has a dead laser but the drive works.

do you volunteer ?

I've actually got a technics SLPG 490 sitting somewhere that needs a new transport. I think all the stuff has got to the ripe age where it is mechanically EOL now :(

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55354 on: April 11, 2020, 01:07:22 pm »

As they say, the chicken was involved, but the pig was committed.

Apart from that, please stop posting pictures of food. I want to lose weight to reduce blood pressure to reduce the need for ACE2 drugs to reduce the chance of serious complications of cv-19.

Pictures of food really don't help.

Current objective: die of prostate cancer rather than die with prostate cancer. That's the new normal; the old normal was the opposite.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55355 on: April 11, 2020, 01:10:39 pm »
I second that. Otherwise I will remind you of the kebob diet. Turn around slowly, cut down what protrudes ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55356 on: April 11, 2020, 01:13:59 pm »

As they say, the chicken was involved, but the pig was committed.

Apart from that, please stop posting pictures of food. I want to lose weight to reduce blood pressure to reduce the need for ACE2 drugs to reduce the chance of serious complications of cv-19.

Pictures of food really don't help.

Current objective: die of prostate cancer rather than die with prostate cancer. That's the new normal; the old normal was the opposite.

I'm promoting a nice balanced and calorie controlled diet here :-DD

(I'm down at 1500 cals a day intake to lose weight as well. 13.4kg / 29.5lb gone. Similar reasons.)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55357 on: April 11, 2020, 01:15:38 pm »
I am working on an implantable liposuction pump (similar to an insulin pump, just reverse it ...) Might be a splendid invention after the quarantine ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #55358 on: April 11, 2020, 01:23:59 pm »
Locally all gatherings and all sports are banned except for Greyhounds and Horse Racing all levels of  :wtf:  :-- Add to that we have an active online and app driven gambling industry.  :palm:

Just the opposite here.  The area dog tracks have been ordered closed and it seems that one has shuttered its doors for good.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55359 on: April 11, 2020, 01:33:14 pm »

Erm, I doubt you are taking ACE2 inhibitor drugs as there aren't any. The ACE inhibitors given to people inhibit ACE-1, not ACE-2 and it's ACE-2 that SARS-COV-2 binds to. We are not helped in all this by the sad fact that most doctors wouldn't recognise biochemistry if you hit them over the head with a rolled up copy of Biochemical Pathways.

You might want to take a look at this: Angiotensin and the Coronavirus from the "In The Pipeline" column (a reliable source for once). Any questions, ask me.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Zoli

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55360 on: April 11, 2020, 01:59:58 pm »

Getting that way  :-DD

Final product. Bread was used to clean up the pan of bacon fat and oil before the beans went in  8)

Need to use two rashers of bacon next time. One is not enough bacon  :palm:
I bet all of your neighbours are wondering just the hell you're up to, probably thinking that either your gas or electric has been cut off  :-DD :-DD :-DD

I always thought that Meths burnt with a pungent smell  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55361 on: April 11, 2020, 02:02:08 pm »

Erm, I doubt you are taking ACE2 inhibitor drugs as there aren't any. The ACE inhibitors given to people inhibit ACE-1, not ACE-2 and it's ACE-2 that SARS-COV-2 binds to. We are not helped in all this by the sad fact that most doctors wouldn't recognise biochemistry if you hit them over the head with a rolled up copy of Biochemical Pathways.

You might want to take a look at this: Angiotensin and the Coronavirus from the "In The Pipeline" column (a reliable source for once). Any questions, ask me.

:rant:

Reading well-written explanations of science by someone who actually knows what he or she is talking about is a good antidote to all the foolishness being propagated on twitter, facebook and other cess pools by whack jobs who fancy themselves virologists, epidemiologists, biologists, etc because they know how to plug numbers into a free online spreadsheet or 3D modeling program or read something on infowars. 

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Zoli

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55362 on: April 11, 2020, 02:03:56 pm »
@Specmaster: They're all mental as well so I'm good  :-DD

Meths is not particularly stinky stuff. Much better than petrol stoves.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55363 on: April 11, 2020, 02:39:12 pm »

Reading well-written explanations of science by someone who actually knows what he or she is talking about is a good antidote to all the foolishness being propagated on twitter, facebook and other cess pools by whack jobs who fancy themselves virologists, epidemiologists, biologists, etc because they know how to plug numbers into a free online spreadsheet or 3D modeling program or read something on infowars.

Cerebus' link does look useful. Now to try and understand how drugs might modulate the response to CV-19...

The comments rapidly and predictably descend to the depths, e.g. virus came from a venomous snake, the drugs are derived from pit vipers, therefore eeeeek. I didn't read far enough to see whether 5G rears its head :)

Nonetheless, I still want to get my weight and blood pressure down :)

Over the last few days I've counted my calories to be 1300, 1300, 900, 1000. (Counting calories is the technique that works for me!) No, I'm not going to discuss the proportion that came from C2H5OH :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55364 on: April 11, 2020, 02:46:23 pm »
One of the few things I remember from high school chemistry.

I don't know .... drinking chemicals!!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55365 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:42 pm »

What has surprised me is the number of poorly informed people on here, many of whom seem quite happy with S-space, Z-space, Maxwell etcetera, but seem to have slept through biology at school. You need a certain amount of background before you can even begin to read a scientific paper, some of it is general understanding of how papers are written, and I would hope that is common enough across the sciences that any STEM background would equip you for that, and then some is domain specific without which you are all at sea. Yet I keep on seeing folks on here who have the sense to dig through the news story to find the paper it is based on, yet fail to recognise that they don't have the background to read a medical/biochemistry paper (just as a biochemist would be lost in an electronics paper without adequate basic background). If you don't know the difference between an agonist and an antagonist, what a receptor is, what an enzyme is, what a substrate is, the basics of how viruses reproduce,  then you're going to be as lost as a biochemist would be reading about depletion zones, reverse and forward bias, loop gain and so on. Yet people still go full Dunning-Kruger and then get hoity when someone who has basic domain knowledge says "No, you've misunderstood that this is why".

This whole thing has also proven that some of the folks on here I've always suspected are nutjobs are, and it's also brought some more out of the woodwork that I wasn't aware of.  I'm constantly flabbergasted that people who have the ability to exhibit the rational reasoning that's required for any engineering subject like electronics can go so far off the deep end in grasping irrational beliefs in related fields (e.g. We have actual 5G causes Covid conspiracy nuts on here who have been here for quite some time rationally discussing engineering.).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Zoli

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55366 on: April 11, 2020, 02:54:07 pm »
One of the few things I remember from high school chemistry.

I don't know .... drinking chemicals!!
dihydrogenmonoxide is particularly nasty.

@Cerebus I concur. It is a well known fact though that fear stands in the way of rational thinking, and some of us who are in the "risk group" are just scared shitless. which may be an explanation for people mentally running amok.

The following users thanked this post: Zoli

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55367 on: April 11, 2020, 02:54:25 pm »
Meths meh.   

I grew up in a locality where it seemed EVERYONE used those little Sterno-powered steam tables for any kind of buffet-style food service; the church's flapjack breakfast, the Community center's weekly social, the firehouse's monthly chicken/rib fundraiser BBQ and pretty much every restaurant had at least a couple dishes near the dining areas which they kept warm with the stuff. Now THERE'S an acrid stink; the combination of how rich the Sterno burns and emetic/bitterant they put in the stuff to keep the hobos away was nauseating.

It seemed you just couldn't get away from the stinky stuff. I got to the point where I'd make guerrilla attacks on the food; fill up a tray to overflowing and run off to eat in the car or drive like a idiot to get it home for the fam while it was still hot.  :palm:

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55368 on: April 11, 2020, 02:58:32 pm »
... those little Sterno-powered steam tables for any kind of buffet-style food service;...

The phrase you're looking for is "chafing dish".

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55369 on: April 11, 2020, 03:01:41 pm »
Previously in the TEA forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2995954/#msg2995954

This is a little teardown of the Fluke 750A. I took it first, because there was some disturbing rattling noise coming from the inside.  :scared:

Front, looks nice and clean:

The battery case is also clean:

Top view, and looking for the source of the noise:

This debris is causing the noise:  :(

Some nice wirewound resistors on top of an oil-filled resistor bank:

No sign of leakage:  :-+

The note next to the bank:

A PCB with a relay (I think) on the right side (instrument is upside down):

Some very nice wire wound resistors:

Rusty parts!  :scared:

Switches and resistors for the fine adjustment of the reference source (1.018V):

Output voltage switch. Here is the debris coming from:

Actually, I have no idea how to repair that thing.  :-//
If you have some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, med6753, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55370 on: April 11, 2020, 03:16:43 pm »

What has surprised me is the number of poorly informed people on here, many of whom seem quite happy with S-space, Z-space, Maxwell etcetera, but seem to have slept through biology at school. You need a certain amount of background before you can even begin to read a scientific paper, some of it is general understanding of how papers are written, and I would hope that is common enough across the sciences that any STEM background would equip you for that, and then some is domain specific without which you are all at sea. Yet I keep on seeing folks on here who have the sense to dig through the news story to find the paper it is based on, yet fail to recognise that they don't have the background to read a medical/biochemistry paper (just as a biochemist would be lost in an electronics paper without adequate basic background). If you don't know the difference between an agonist and an antagonist, what a receptor is, what an enzyme is, what a substrate is, the basics of how viruses reproduce,  then you're going to be as lost as a biochemist would be reading about depletion zones, reverse and forward bias, loop gain and so on. Yet people still go full Dunning-Kruger and then get hoity when someone who has basic domain knowledge says "No, you've misunderstood that this is why".

This whole thing has also proven that some of the folks on here I've always suspected are nutjobs are, and it's also brought some more out of the woodwork that I wasn't aware of.  I'm constantly flabbergasted that people who have the ability to exhibit the rational reasoning that's required for any engineering subject like electronics can go so far off the deep end in grasping irrational beliefs in related fields (e.g. We have actual 5G causes Covid conspiracy nuts on here who have been here for quite some time rationally discussing engineering.).

You're talking about the difference between intelligence and education; between common sense and literacy. The shocking lack of education and literacy in today's world is no accident; keeping the oppressed uneducated and ignorant is one of the primary tactics of the oppressor throughout the course of human history.

The only difference today is who is which; with population as dense as it is now, there is no way to segregate the people into geographic locations kept like a gulag, but rather to isolate them by social & economic strata and oppress those strata as a group. Class Warfare is not a myth; it is everyday life and has been for over a century in the Western world.

mnem
"Only the government funds itself by coercion." :rant:
"Really? Look at commerce and abuse of monopoly power throughout history." ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 07:10:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, grizewald

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55371 on: April 11, 2020, 03:17:24 pm »
... those little Sterno-powered steam tables for any kind of buffet-style food service;...

Even that is variable, e.g. my Chinese "chafing dish" is rather different, in the Mongolian style.

You put charcoal in the chimney and water in the doughnut. People select their uncooked morsels, put them in wire baskets and dunk them in the hot water. When cooked they remove their basket and add condiments. Rinse and repeat. At the end of the meal, the water has mutated into a broth/soup, which can be shared amongst all present.

It is quite a fun item to use on days like today, and makes a change from a barbecue. With appropriate ingredients, it can be low fat and lower calorie.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55372 on: April 11, 2020, 03:20:48 pm »
That’s quite cool actually. May have a look around for one of them.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55373 on: April 11, 2020, 03:24:11 pm »

If you think this place is bad, hop over to sci.electronics.design!

There are, however, some extremely competent contributors and contributions, e.g. Win Hill of TAoE fame. TAoE x-Chapters was improved by people there, and people there are cited favourably in both books.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55374 on: April 11, 2020, 03:24:16 pm »

Nope; single dishes are called that, and sometimes don't even have a water vessel. The ones used at the BBQ and Sunday brunch were actual steam tables; 4 or 6 slots in a common water tank and the whole thing powered by Sterno instead of electricity or gas.

mnem
Bleaggh.  :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 06:55:52 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf