Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16695892 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55325 on: April 11, 2020, 08:11:27 am »
Likewise with Aldi here their own brand imports are more expensive against locally grown and milled flour and local Sugar in 10-15kg bags. This also applies to our bigger supermarkets Plain Wrapper brands. As someone who bakes cheap isn't a good option either when it comes to flour in particular.
Well its the complete opposite to that over here, both Aldi and Lidl own brands are considerably cheaper. Both stores often feature adverts that shows a trolley full of a typical families shopping and one of their own equivalents, and they claim that they can save depending on the items, 25% to 37.5% on the avearage families weekly shopping bill.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #55326 on: April 11, 2020, 08:19:17 am »
Likewise with Aldi here their own brand imports are more expensive against locally grown and milled flour and local Sugar in 10-15kg bags. This also applies to our bigger supermarkets Plain Wrapper brands. As someone who bakes cheap isn't a good option either when it comes to flour in particular.
Well its the complete opposite to that over here, both Aldi and Lidl own brands are considerably cheaper. Both stores often feature adverts that shows a trolley full of a typical families shopping and one of their own equivalents, and they claim that they can save depending on the items, 25% to 37.5% on the avearage families weekly shopping bill.

Remember I am talking about compared to Wholesalers as we were talking about Market Stall holders. As to 'claimed' savings we are not the place for marketing spin  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55327 on: April 11, 2020, 08:41:15 am »

Remember I am talking about compared to Wholesalers as we were talking about Market Stall holders. As to 'claimed' savings we are not the place for marketing spin  ;)
Here is one such example https://www.aldi.co.uk/tv
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55328 on: April 11, 2020, 08:45:23 am »
Tek probes are at my local FedEx hub in Newburgh.  :-+

Discord today at 2100 hours UTC. Be there or be square.  :-+ :-DD

New hospitalizations in NY are starting to drop dramatically.    :-+

It's Spring but it's only 1 C outside.  :--
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55329 on: April 11, 2020, 08:50:58 am »

While I don't doubt that you're right about wholesale pricing, both there and here, I would support the argument that Lidl are incredibly cheap here in the UK (can't speak for Aldi as there isn't one convenient for me). What's more they are often cheaper while offering a better quality product. Their fruit and veg is first rate, often better quality that you'll find in the big supermarket chains and cheap to boot. Ditto for anything in the cured meat line - I regularly get lovely Black Forest ham from there (similar style to Parma or Serrano ham) for below the price you'd pay for the pink mush that passes for ham in the major supermarkets.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55330 on: April 11, 2020, 08:57:57 am »
Locally the Actual numbers Between Aldi and our Big Two Coles and Safeway is under 10% if you use like for like (off or own brand) Where the Aldi BS machine kicks into top gear is claims of BS% is comparing their Own brands against name brands of their opposition and the Senior squad swallows that without question.

Locally most regional Aldi stores in particular you can not do a full shop so the small saving sees you needing to go elsewhere to get it done. Losing another 20-30 minutes for round two to save $10-20 is really marginal to a loss for me so I generally don't bother. If you are feeding a Family and can do the time you will still do better splitting the shop further again to include a Butcher and Greengrocer.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55331 on: April 11, 2020, 08:59:08 am »
I will try to be there on Discord tonight, but trouble is our BST rather disrupts it a bit because BST puts us all in the UK an hour ahead of UTC and then other things clash with it  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55332 on: April 11, 2020, 09:02:48 am »
back to my decontamination chamber ...

Added a lighted power switch and an interlock switch (from a pinball machine, actually, rated 250VAC 10A) to the setup.Will also add one of those 3 prong power cable sockets and let a friend do some electrical compliance testing (he is set up for that ...). A timer would be an add on, but it needs to be kept simple.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55333 on: April 11, 2020, 09:03:58 am »
I will try to be there on Discord tonight, but trouble is our BST rather disrupts it a bit because BST puts us all in the UK an hour ahead of UTC and then other things clash with it  :palm:

I think we discussed last week to start at 20 UTC to make up for that savings time ?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55334 on: April 11, 2020, 09:08:00 am »

I think we discussed last week to start at 20 UTC to make up for that savings time ?

That would make it 6am here so consider me in Bed still  ;) For Rob VK5RC it would be 5.30am  :o

My body and Brain are not on early starts after doing 6am opens of a Cafe for a few years so I like my sleep  ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55335 on: April 11, 2020, 09:09:52 am »
I’ll be around for discord whenever. Probably no audio as it’s movie night here at the same time. I may move that to Fridays though as it’s not like there’s any school any time soon.

Trangia out today. Because I’m bored I’m cooking on only that today as an experimental practice run so I don’t leave myself in the mire when this lockdown is over. Oats for breakfast, fry up for lunch, curry for dinner  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55336 on: April 11, 2020, 09:12:51 am »
Yeah, as mentioned before with greengrocers, the same also applies to butchers over here, the supermarkets have squeezed almost all competition out. Years ago you would have had a local greengrocer and butcher in almost every local shopping parade as well as a selection in the town centres. These days town centres mainly comprise of all the national chains' dept stores, clothing, banks, building societies and jewellers along with the obligatory fast food outlets. The actual food retailers has by and large been pushed out of business in the centres and the vast majority of it is on retail sites around the outskirts of towns., YMMV
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55337 on: April 11, 2020, 09:30:28 am »
well. I'll probably be there anyway (early most likely)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55338 on: April 11, 2020, 09:40:56 am »
I’ll be around for discord whenever. Probably no audio as it’s movie night here at the same time. I may move that to Fridays though as it’s not like there’s any school any time soon.

Trangia out today. Because I’m bored I’m cooking on only that today as an experimental practice run so I don’t leave myself in the mire when this lockdown is over. Oats for breakfast, fry up for lunch, curry for dinner  :-DD

Oh I see, and I'm doing a BBQ for dinner tonight  :-DD, probably have food poisoning as a result tomorrow  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55339 on: April 11, 2020, 10:03:20 am »
Barbeque sounds good. Mine disintegrated about 5 years ago. Perhaps I should get another one. And yes food poisoning time. Been there. Nothing is as bad as my father's barbeque skills were. Black sausages frozen in the middle  :scared:

Breakfast done :). It's only a Trangia mini. 4 mins to boil ~250ml of water isn't bad for something so light weight.

After this, it's soldering time  8)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55340 on: April 11, 2020, 10:13:37 am »
These days town centres mainly comprise of all the national chains' dept stores, clothing, banks, building societies and jewellers along with the obligatory fast food outlets.

And don't forget lots and lots of bookmakers. My heart bleeds for them, that they can't be open at the moment, positively bleeds.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55341 on: April 11, 2020, 10:14:54 am »
Barbeque sounds good. Mine disintegrated about 5 years ago. Perhaps I should get another one. And yes food poisoning time. Been there. Nothing is as bad as my father's barbeque skills were. Black sausages frozen in the middle  :scared:

Breakfast done :). It's only a Trangia mini. 4 mins to boil ~250ml of water isn't bad for something so light weight.

What, burnt a hole in the bottom of the pan already? You little tinker you.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55342 on: April 11, 2020, 10:15:54 am »
Locally all gatherings and all sports are banned except for Greyhounds and Horse Racing all levels of  :wtf:  :-- Add to that we have an active online and app driven gambling industry.  :palm:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55343 on: April 11, 2020, 10:26:07 am »
The sort of people that betting shops really prey in here are the kind of people who are 'cash only' and can least afford it, so at least it gives them a respite from the blood sucking leeches.

In case you hadn't guessed, commercial betting is the one (legal) vice that I disapprove of. As far as vice goes I reckon people ought to be left to get on with it - I completely fail to disapprove of BD139 with his fur suits, violet wands and nipple clamps - but as soon as you deliberately exploit someone's vice for commercial gain I reckon you're a wrong'un. (And I don't include the people who make BD's fur suits as commercial exploitation of vice, they're just a rather niche fashion house).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55344 on: April 11, 2020, 10:32:36 am »
Yep. I actually worked in the online gambling sector for 3 hours once. That's how long before I told them to fuck off, hit Subway for a meatball marina for strength to properly shit shaft the twat at Computer Futures who lied about the role. Gambling industry should be relegated to hooky shops in Palmers Green where Greek folk bet for bits of meat and Ouzo.

Oo'err violet wands. tzzt.

What, burnt a hole in the bottom of the pan already? You little tinker you.

Hahaha not yet. I did that with one many years ago. Went to drop the kids off at the pool and came back to find the bottom had fallen out. Never let them boil dry...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:34:32 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55345 on: April 11, 2020, 11:04:29 am »

Wow, thats a lightweight breakfast, not even made with milk :-+ What sort of alcohol does that burn, meths?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55346 on: April 11, 2020, 11:09:46 am »
Hahaha not yet. I did that with one many years ago. Went to drop the kids off at the pool and came back to find the bottom had fallen out. Never let them boil dry...

Children are really a challenge and an adventure, aren't they?  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55347 on: April 11, 2020, 11:13:38 am »
Sorry that’s British for “going for a shit”. I should have clarified that here  :-DD

Wow, thats a lightweight breakfast, not even made with milk :-+ What sort of alcohol does that burn, meths?

The oats have milk powder in them so you just add hot water. Same as the oats you get from McDonald’s.

Yeah burns meths. Slightly diluted with water to get rid of some of the soot.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55348 on: April 11, 2020, 11:20:22 am »

Children are really a challenge and an adventure, aren't they?  ;D

Yup, particularly when you let them boil dry.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55349 on: April 11, 2020, 11:40:25 am »
Yes they get a bit stringy then.

Have half built the Elecraft K160RX so far today.  :-+. Going to chuck a wire up in a tree later and see if I can tune it to 160m. Silly idea. Absolutely no chance of working  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf