Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16698182 times)

Robert763, factory and 126 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55300 on: April 10, 2020, 09:43:04 pm »
Greengrocers are still fairly common in Oz in spite of the Supermarkets. The good ones look after the commercial food industry so the produce turnover is good and well priced and unlike the Supermarkets screwing suppliers more $/kg generally gets to the farmer  :-+

Fortifying coffee consumed so its off to do Socially distanced Battle at Aldi  :box:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55301 on: April 10, 2020, 10:10:03 pm »
Pretty weird,this. Chirps everytime it starts a new sweep (or stops an old one). Not very willing to tear it apart, as it has a recent cal. Never seen anythin like it...  :-//

http://photos.app.goo.gl/UwfZZGhiEsmAFnQq8
The one in my company lab does it too. I think that is some setting. I did not bother yet.
(it is a E4404)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55302 on: April 10, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »
Greengrocers are still fairly common in Oz in spite of the Supermarkets. The good ones look after the commercial food industry so the produce turnover is good and well priced and unlike the Supermarkets screwing suppliers more $/kg generally gets to the farmer  :-+

Fortifying coffee consumed so its off to do Socially distanced Battle at Aldi  :box:
Over here, if you pop to the local Lidl early in the morning, you will see many chefs, from local hotels, and restaurants making massive purchases of their provisions, including trays of bags of flour, boxes of fresh fruit and vegetables, and pallets of mineral water and orange juice being loading into their vans. I wonder how their customers would react if they knew that the ingredients of the meals that they had just paid a kings ransom for came from what would consider a low cost budget supermarket?  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55303 on: April 10, 2020, 10:29:04 pm »

Over here, if you pop to the local Lidl early in the morning, you will see many chefs, from local hotels, and restaurants making massive purchases of their provisions, including trays of bags of flour, boxes of fresh fruit and vegetables, and pallets of mineral water and orange juice being loading into their vans. I wonder how their customers would react if they knew that the ingredients of the meals that they had just paid a kings ransom for came from what would consider a low cost budget supermarket?  :-DD :-DD

In better times my daughter sells high-end puddings at a local farmer's market. Her many repeat customers often comment on the quality of the product and ingredients. After the market is over the traders natter, many tell similar stories, all have a quiet chuckle because they all use cheap ingredients.

It's not what you've got, it is what you do with it :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55304 on: April 10, 2020, 10:32:22 pm »
thought of some social warrior stuff which I will submit to our company as an idea for their making more health initiative.

take a COTS aluminium box.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/ALUBOX-B-184-Liter-Alukiste-Werkzeugkiste-Vollaluminium/372879388124?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

take a finished starter/socket for a UV-C lamp
https://www.ebay.de/itm/VOSSLOH-SCHWABE-Vorschaltger%C3%A4t-f%C3%BCr-PL-S-Dulux-S-Ralux-S-5W-7W-9W-11W-m-Fassung/143557445482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and the UV-C lamp
https://www.osram.de/ecat/PURITEC%20HNS%20UV-C-UV-C%20lamps%20for%20purification-Ultraviolettstrahler-Industrie-Spezialbeleuchtung/de/de/GPS01_1028570/PP_EUROPE_DE_eCat/ZMP_60796/

which will give me 3W of UV-C at a distance of 1m from the center of the lamp

Utilize UV resistant bonding tape (3M VHB) to attach this to the lid of the box and
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Montageband-Allzeckband-Universalklebeband-3M-VHB-Klebeband-4611F-19-mm-x-3-m/223575290338?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cabling is not too expensive.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Anschlussleitung-Zuleitung-mit-Zwischenschalter-Stecker-Netzkabel-Stromkabel/352890295170?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=622145810635&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

An inverter running off a lead-acid battery can easily be added. You can also put in a standard grill shelf rack https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Adjustable-Grill-Shelf-Rack-Extendable-Screw-Fix-Arms-Barbecue-Grid/191404896648?hash=item2c909ef188:g:5TUAAOSwabhUXMjN

to lift the stuff to be irradiated and make sure the UV gets to it from all sides.

To make sure the dosage is sufficient, irradiation time should be no less than 10 minutes, preferable twice the amount.

It would be possible to swap out the lamp for a higher dosage lamp, but those would draw more power.

What do you think ?

Did I overlook something critical ?
Like it. I wish I had gotten the high-powered UV-C discharge lamp that was on Ebay a few month ago. With such a lamp, as fitted normally to water treatment plants, it is of course much easier to get the necessary intensity. But also more critical to achieve shielding and so on..
Lockout switch is a good idea. I can tell you that the effects are not something one needs to have experienced, even longtime consequences were averted.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55305 on: April 10, 2020, 10:36:47 pm »

Mmmmokaaaaayyyy...  :o   I suspect they may come up a wee bit short of their projections here. :P

mnem
don't read this.

Canada Post must use same tracking software as USPS.  |O
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55306 on: April 10, 2020, 10:40:41 pm »
Meanwhile, the grab bag of Tek Probes is in Keasbey, New Jersey. Next stop should be local FedEx office in Newburgh in AM then out for delivery.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55307 on: April 10, 2020, 10:47:34 pm »
Mission Accomplished  :phew: Eight only and I got the third last one the pallet. The egg is for Bonus points because you remain in debt and in the poo with your Mum always.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55308 on: April 10, 2020, 10:53:31 pm »
 :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ferdieCX

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55309 on: April 10, 2020, 10:54:44 pm »

This, of course, does not apply to TE.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55310 on: April 10, 2020, 11:14:13 pm »

Then your unless your Chefs/Restauants/Pubs have lost their accounts with Food Wholsalers for not paying their bills they are dickheads if that is their first port of call. All Staples are cheaper by 15-30% from wholesalers unless the product is on special. It doesn't mean I don't buy 'some' from Supermarkets but I certainly don't buy staples. Flour, Oil, Sugar for example in 10-15kg bags and 20L drums is 25+% cheaper.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55311 on: April 10, 2020, 11:16:25 pm »

See my .sig :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55312 on: April 10, 2020, 11:40:29 pm »
I like bagels. With butter & too much cream cheese.

mnem
that is all.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55313 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:56 pm »
For our canadian TEA voltnut fellows (and the ones in the USA, too):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324130874459

Fluke 845AR

8)

Too expensive for me. Would only consider if it was below 100$  ;D

Well, you could send them a low-ball offer.  >:D

Still wonder how to identify that it may be a latest model as shown in TiN’s web site using chopper amp instead of neon light

:-//

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #55314 on: April 11, 2020, 12:43:33 am »

See my .sig :)
I recall one of the more conservative older guys in my Ham club describing how as a younger man he built and tested a tube tranceiver using no VoltMeter - he described with embarrassment that you could guesstimate the voltage from the 'kick' off the back of your hand. It was particularly funny as he is so conservative and safety conscious now. 😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55315 on: April 11, 2020, 12:45:59 am »

Then your unless your Chefs/Restauants/Pubs have lost their accounts with Food Wholsalers for not paying their bills they are dickheads if that is their first port of call. All Staples are cheaper by 15-30% from wholesalers unless the product is on special. It doesn't mean I don't buy 'some' from Supermarkets but I certainly don't buy staples. Flour, Oil, Sugar for example in 10-15kg bags and 20L drums is 25+% cheaper.
I'm not quite sure that applys with Lidl's as a lot of their stuff is either own brand, or stil cheaper because of the massive buying power, they have over 760 stores in the UK.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55316 on: April 11, 2020, 01:13:31 am »
Likewise with Aldi here their own brand imports are more expensive against locally grown and milled flour and local Sugar in 10-15kg bags. This also applies to our bigger supermarkets Plain Wrapper brands. As someone who bakes cheap isn't a good option either when it comes to flour in particular.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55317 on: April 11, 2020, 01:25:18 am »
I like bagels. With butter & too much cream cheese.

mnem
that is all.

Cheese stuffed mice – a meal that virtually prepares itself.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55318 on: April 11, 2020, 02:28:29 am »
Likewise with Aldi here their own brand imports are more expensive against locally grown and milled flour and local Sugar in 10-15kg bags. This also applies to our bigger supermarkets Plain Wrapper brands. As someone who bakes cheap isn't a good option either when it comes to flour in particular.

Mmmhmmm... what's your government standard for insect parts per 50 grams?   

https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook

mnem
Food for thought; thought from food.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55319 on: April 11, 2020, 02:54:28 am »
After punching holes in the S38 chassis with a greenlee conduit punch and barely avoiding disaster, I decided to look for a set of "radio chassis" punches on ebay. 

Yeah I know. Radio punches? Chassis? Whaddya thinking, this isn't 1964! 

Here, at the workbench lost in time, it apparently is.   ;D

The prices were nutty for partial sets. And single punch asks were crazier. But it is ebay, right? So I just made offers at what I thought to be reasonable (confirmed by looking at sold punch prices). The first seller wrote to tell me he was insulted by my offer, so I knew I was on the right track.  >:D

It took me a couple of hours of back-and-forth with a couple of sellers but I found eight of the nine punches I wanted, all in good to excellent condition, for less than ninety bucks with shipping.   :-+

Plus I will have a fun couple of days cleaning them and figuring out how to build a case to house them.  What more could a guy ask?
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55320 on: April 11, 2020, 03:09:31 am »
After punching holes in the S38 chassis with a greenlee conduit punch and barely avoiding disaster, I decided to look for a set of "radio chassis" punches on ebay. 

The prices were nutty for partial sets. And single punch asks were crazier. But it is ebay, right? So I just made offers at what I thought to be reasonable (confirmed by looking at sold punch prices). The first seller wrote to tell me he was insulted by my offer, so I knew I was on the right track.  >:D

It took me a couple of hours of back-and-forth with a couple of sellers but I found eight of the nine punches I wanted, all in good to excellent condition, for less than ninety bucks with shipping.   :-+

Plus I will have a fun couple of days cleaning them and figuring out how to build a case to house them.  What more could a guy ask?
Get any slotted or square ones ?
Ya know, for switches, IEC sockets etc.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #55321 on: April 11, 2020, 03:23:57 am »

Mmm, fresh bread! :popcorn:

Yeah, as I wrote, I've really gotten into sourdough baguettes these last weeks of isolation. I've got a mean culture going, on coarse rye and water; started a month ago with a tad store-bought yeast and it's been improving ever since.

Last week I bought a 15kg bag of flour at one of the en gros companies that allow everyone to shop, albeit without rebates. Still was cheap.

I love sourdough! Although I've made it from scratch and fed a starter for a little while, it's a dangerous thing because you're compelled to continue bread making on a regular basis. I would be happy, but not a healthy weight for long, if I kept that up. I'll stick with TEA for now. ;D

Bake on!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55322 on: April 11, 2020, 04:37:56 am »

Get any slotted or square ones ?
Ya know, for switches, IEC sockets etc.  :-//

so far the square and dee shaped punches are too rich for my parsimonious soul. i will keep poking around until i find the ones i want.

in my spare time today i took the dough i had been aging in the fridge and baked a couple of loaves of bread:

tomorrow... steel cut oatmeal cookie dough.  i make a batch of dough and we put it in the fridge. every night after dinner we bake two cookies. besides the simple pleasure of eating a just-baked treat, it limits the late night temptation.

and, believe it or not, i am still losing roughly two pounds a week.  eighteen down so far.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55323 on: April 11, 2020, 05:04:18 am »

Mmmhmmm... what's your government standard for insect parts per 50 grams?   

https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook

mnem
Food for thought; thought from food.

When I want to look for advice on 'purity' I won't be checking out a Country that allows GMO Wheat among other things to enter the food chain  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55324 on: April 11, 2020, 08:00:28 am »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf