Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16700207 times)

LateLesley, shakalnokturn and 132 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55250 on: April 10, 2020, 03:02:00 pm »
thought of some social warrior stuff which I will submit to our company as an idea for their making more health initiative.

take a COTS aluminium box.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/ALUBOX-B-184-Liter-Alukiste-Werkzeugkiste-Vollaluminium/372879388124?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

take a finished starter/socket for a UV-C lamp
https://www.ebay.de/itm/VOSSLOH-SCHWABE-Vorschaltger%C3%A4t-f%C3%BCr-PL-S-Dulux-S-Ralux-S-5W-7W-9W-11W-m-Fassung/143557445482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and the UV-C lamp
https://www.osram.de/ecat/PURITEC%20HNS%20UV-C-UV-C%20lamps%20for%20purification-Ultraviolettstrahler-Industrie-Spezialbeleuchtung/de/de/GPS01_1028570/PP_EUROPE_DE_eCat/ZMP_60796/

which will give me 3W of UV-C at a distance of 1m from the center of the lamp

Utilize UV resistant bonding tape (3M VHB) to attach this to the lid of the box and
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Montageband-Allzeckband-Universalklebeband-3M-VHB-Klebeband-4611F-19-mm-x-3-m/223575290338?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cabling is not too expensive.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Anschlussleitung-Zuleitung-mit-Zwischenschalter-Stecker-Netzkabel-Stromkabel/352890295170?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=622145810635&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

An inverter running off a lead-acid battery can easily be added. You can also put in a standard grill shelf rack https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Adjustable-Grill-Shelf-Rack-Extendable-Screw-Fix-Arms-Barbecue-Grid/191404896648?hash=item2c909ef188:g:5TUAAOSwabhUXMjN

to lift the stuff to be irradiated and make sure the UV gets to it from all sides.

To make sure the dosage is sufficient, irradiation time should be no less than 10 minutes, preferable twice the amount.

It would be possible to swap out the lamp for a higher dosage lamp, but those would draw more power.

What do you think ?

Did I overlook something critical ?

Even more ghetto, a simple carboard box with aluminium paper inside  ;D

I used this setup to retrobright parts. Now I can sterilise my mail  ;D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55251 on: April 10, 2020, 03:11:08 pm »
Man I think the mail system is seriously clogged over here. Have been waiting for my usb connectors from China for 2 months now and they are nowhere to be seen  :-\

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55252 on: April 10, 2020, 03:12:49 pm »
I know. The idea was to be able to have something somewhat sturdy that would survive but still be easy to produce and halfway safe. That can be stowed away safely, airlifted, mailed, etc.

Our company has some health initiatives world wide. Now, given the current crisis, our colleagues in india, in the philippines, etc are suffering. This would give them the opportunity to build something sturdy which is still easy to obtain and does not cost a fortune. my first idea was to improvise using an easy to get G23 lamp and a cardboard box. But, for logistics, durability and sturdiness I thought this setup might be better suited.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55253 on: April 10, 2020, 03:13:24 pm »
Man I think the mail system is seriously clogged over here. Have been waiting for my usb connectors from China for 2 months now and they are nowhere to be seen  :-\

I think it's everywhere involving international. The HP probes for AVG didn't kick back a 2nd time from US Customs but who knows where they are at now.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55254 on: April 10, 2020, 03:13:55 pm »
... Worried about getting trampled by the wrinklies   :-DD ...
I resemble that remark! Beware, what we lack in youth we make up for in subterfuge.  ;D

I've whiled away my breakfast-time this AM noodling around this fellow's yoobToob: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuCEiwVy_jvFmboAEYGwjg

His hobby is creating animation to go along with the original BBC Radio show of HHGttG; rather good actually and very faithful to Adams' written works. Unfortunately, the Beeb has been forcing places like YT to take down his works and Ep 1 Pt 1 is no longer up. However you CAN, if you care to, find most of it on his channel in bits & bobs.

Somehow, this fellow's whole debacle of "Fair Use" vs the interests of the corporate megalopoly etc. feels very Adams-esque in its own right...

mnem
*off to brave the wilds of Wally Wurlld*

Here's a version of me, er, Arthur Dent, in real life for the same episode above starting at 18:40 minutes. 

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55255 on: April 10, 2020, 03:16:12 pm »
Queueing for supermarket here again today. The locusts have eaten all the good stuff again  :-DD

I presume by that you mean the teenaged locusts you keep as house pets rather than the locusts that cleaned the supermarkets out.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55256 on: April 10, 2020, 03:16:31 pm »
I know. The idea was to be able to have something somewhat sturdy that would survive but still be easy to produce and halfway safe. That can be stowed away safely, airlifted, mailed, etc.

Our company has some health initiatives world wide. Now, given the current crisis, our colleagues in india, in the philippines, etc are suffering. This would give them the opportunity to build something sturdy which is still easy to obtain and does not cost a fortune. my first idea was to improvise using an easy to get G23 lamp and a cardboard box. But, for logistics, durability and sturdiness I thought this setup might be better suited.

I was joking with my box. I prefer your idea. Never seen aluminum box like that over here though.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55257 on: April 10, 2020, 03:17:38 pm »

I was joking with my box. I prefer your idea. Never seen aluminum box like that over here though.

You could add a timer to stop the lamp automatically ? also maybe a red led that let you know the lamp is active ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:20:49 pm by Kosmic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55258 on: April 10, 2020, 03:27:09 pm »

Interlock switch for the lid? (Commenting as I'm catching up, so ignore me if someone else has said this in the interim.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Saskia

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55259 on: April 10, 2020, 03:33:14 pm »
What do you think ?

I would add a safety switch. As soon, as the box gets opened, the lamp should be switched off immediatly. I'd realize this with two reed contacts and a magnet, probably at two opposite positions.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55260 on: April 10, 2020, 03:35:02 pm »
Gee, with everyone being sheltered in place and bored out of their skulls this thread has gone nuclear.  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55261 on: April 10, 2020, 03:37:47 pm »
an interlock switch is an excellent idea. Will add that to the design but need to think about the details. The insulation needs to be UV proof.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #55262 on: April 10, 2020, 03:39:54 pm »
Was closing up a a 8563E after some heroic fights. Having learned from past experiences, I did a quick power up test after each layer of the sandwhich and sure enought, after layer 37,5 something started smelling foul and smoke spiraled out of the depths. Suspecting, as always, the power supply I dissasembled until I had it bare again and started the camera roling so I could catch the culprit in the act. Only thing is: it wasn't the power supply (you'll note my surprise as I was focused on the PSU and had to pan to the CRT driver. Odd thing is I can't find anything burned there.

I've sunk a *lot* of hours in this bitch already. I'm not gonna yield?

https://ftrnf.com/EEVBLOG/1.mp4
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:55:16 pm by Ice-Tea »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55263 on: April 10, 2020, 03:47:33 pm »
Went shopping this morning, arrived at Tesco's just on 8  o clock as they opened the doors, the queue was already snaked up and down the parking lanes 4 times and around the outside edge of the car perimeter, store side and then store front. I thought F that and drove down the road to Lidl where there was about 30 people in the queue, but even then it took almost an hour before I was allowed in the store. Once inside though it was almost back to normal with most stuff on the shelf in reasonable volumes. The shopping trip, to just 2 shops, next to each other, Lidls and FarmFoods, took almost 2 and a half hours  :wtf::palm:

I went to a local Polish deli and a greengrocer. I was very annoyed to have to wait 5-10 minutes to get in each of those. It looks like "YMMV" :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55264 on: April 10, 2020, 03:48:01 pm »
Was closing up a a 8563E after some heroic fights. Having learned from past experiences, I did a quick power up test after each layer of the sandwhich and sure enought, after layer 37,5 something started smelling foul and smoke spiraled out of the depths. Suspecting, as always, the power supply I dissasembled until I had it bare again and started the camera roling so I could catch the culprit in the act. Only thing is: it wasn't the power supply (you'll note my surprise as I was focused on the PSU and had to pan to the CRT driver. Odd thing is I can't find anything burned there.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMVtT3YJD7qPGAj9-mGeXF5q60AfZKBA7XOQeo0?hl=nl

There's something wrong with your link. No go.  :--

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55265 on: April 10, 2020, 03:52:42 pm »
Queueing for supermarket here again today. The locusts have eaten all the good stuff again  :-DD

I presume by that you mean the teenaged locusts you keep as house pets rather than the locusts that cleaned the supermarkets out.

Correct :)

I made the mistake of buying various craft things in poundland for the young one as well which are now stuck to everything.

Sort of like this

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 03:54:21 pm by bd139 »

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55266 on: April 10, 2020, 03:55:38 pm »

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMVtT3YJD7qPGAj9-mGeXF5q60AfZKBA7XOQeo0?hl=nl

Thanks for the heads up. Better?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55267 on: April 10, 2020, 04:02:35 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. Better?

Nope. 404 error.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55268 on: April 10, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »
Did you try the original link or the one I replaced it with?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55269 on: April 10, 2020, 04:08:34 pm »
an interlock switch is an excellent idea. Will add that to the design but need to think about the details. The insulation needs to be UV proof.

Perhaps an emergency switch is a good idea, too.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55270 on: April 10, 2020, 04:19:16 pm »
Did you try the original link or the one I replaced it with?

That works.  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55271 on: April 10, 2020, 04:20:59 pm »
More Heathkit tear downs to tempt bd.  :-DD

IG-4244 Oscilloscope Calibrator.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55272 on: April 10, 2020, 04:21:47 pm »

My first thought... honestly:   "Can you say 'Major Litigation', boys and girls...?"

Point being... it's one thing to present this as a DIY project for a third party; by taking part and building it they take responsibility for using it properly and safely. ie, ensuring it's wired properly and seals in all UV light, ensuring no inappropriate materials are irradiated with it, ensuring it doesn't get left on and burn someone's house down, etc...

But if any part of your company takes part in producing it or providing the components for any end-user... I can see a dozen different potential avenues of liability, just off the top of my head.
:-//

mnem
 :scared:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55273 on: April 10, 2020, 04:24:07 pm »
For our canadian TEA voltnut fellows (and the ones in the USA, too):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324130874459

Fluke 845AR

8)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55274 on: April 10, 2020, 04:29:40 pm »
point taken. They may go through the effort to validate the design, though. The company is big enough to be able to do just that. We'll see.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf