Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17479960 times)

George Edmonds, malagas_on_fire, wkb, BrianInTexas and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53650 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:33 pm »
Quite a bargain. I've managed to score Siglent SDG2082X Waveform Generator 80MHz 2 channels including TS-9900010 7 Piece Insulated Precision Screwdriver Set (Torx)
for £440.60
use promo code "mjlorton"

Nice, they are on a -10% promo off 589 Euro but you did a good bit better than that !  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53651 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:06 pm »
OK, then after another little shopping spree today to Asda to primarily get some washing powder, breakfast cereals and hand soap. Queued for an hour to be admitted, standing 2 metres apart, they were operating a system only allowing a certain number of people in and once that limit was reached, it was 1 out, 1 in. Limiting purchases to 3 of any one item per customer, I was able to get a small washing powder only (had about 6 left, so I only took 1) got some Weetos and a few other bits and bobs, again did not grab my full quota as I don't need them. Shelves were still bare when it came to TP, and they only had a limited range of products available so its going a long time to restore stocks.

Then I decided to investigate the Racal Dana 9082 RF generator I got off Gumtree. I already knew that it was not working, despite it having the appearance of actually working, display and meter all seemed to be working but zero output and some frequencies not being tunable.

Off comes the casing, this thing is well-built and heavy but when I opened it and examined it, I was horrified at what I found, this had 2 oscillators in it, 1 was the correct according to the SM, a 5MHz and some bleeding gorilla had bodged in another 10MHz one as well, co-ax's have been cut, some dodgy soldering and it possibly caused a short circuit, the whole thing is peppered with solder balls, broken connections and a blown resistor, even a couple of wires have soldered together and taped up.

It also turns out I'm reliably informed that this actually has many service manuals on it and I can only find the one, but the person who told me this, has furnished me with 2 layout drawings that do not appear in my manual so there must be some truth to his claim  :palm:

I attach some photos of the various visual faults discovered so far and already I have uneasy feeling about this and wondering if it is repairable economically if I can locate these other manuals and wondering if anyone here has any info on these at all, or any internal photos that might assist me? The test point mentioned on the photos is where I tested for shorts because of the bad soldering.

It looks as if someone has been trying to modify it as it was not meant to have 2 reference oscillators fitted.

Heres the photos.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:46:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53652 on: March 26, 2020, 10:56:31 pm »
Such butchery.  :(
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53653 on: March 26, 2020, 11:10:39 pm »
I'm trying to set up a search on eBay to give me a list of 7.5 or more digit multimeters, but all I get is crap based on my second numeric search term. I'm trying to use a string like this:

(HP, Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Hioki, Advantest, Guildline, Datron, Prema) AND (34470, 3458, 7510, 2002, 2001, 2010, DM7276, DM7275, R6581, 7081, 7071, 9578, 9577, 1281, 1271, 8017, 5017, 6048, 6047, 6040S)  -manual

I was under the impression that words in parentheses were a logical or and maybe it is, but it does not seem to honour the AND condition. Can anyone tell me how to make the eBay search return what I actually want?

(Hewlett, Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Hioki, Advantest, Guildline, Datron, Prema) (34470, 3458, 7510, 2002, 2001, 2010, DM7276, DM7275, R6581, 7081, 7071, 9578, 9577, 1281, 1271, 8017, 5017, 6048, 6047, 6040S)  -manual -dealer

That seems to work. 100-200 entries.
An old fart.

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline cjuried

• Contributor
    • Juried Engineering
« Reply #53654 on: March 26, 2020, 11:26:23 pm »
After reviewing this thread I believe I might have caught TEA. Please review for eligibility.

Thank you,

Chris
juriedengineering.com/

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, mnementh, Teti, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, beanflying, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53655 on: March 26, 2020, 11:32:27 pm »

Then I decided to investigate the Racal Dana 9082 RF generator I got off Gumtree. I already knew that it was not working, despite it having the appearance of actually working, display and meter all seemed to be working but zero output and some frequencies not being tunable.

Off comes the casing, this thing is well-built and heavy but when I opened it and examined it, I was horrified at what I found, this had 2 oscillators in it, 1 was the correct according to the SM, a 5MHz and some bleeding gorilla had bodged in another 10MHz one as well, co-ax's have been cut, some dodgy soldering and it possibly caused a short circuit, the whole thing is peppered with solder balls, broken connections and a blown resistor, even a couple of wires have soldered together and taped up.

It also turns out I'm reliably informed that this actually has many service manuals on it and I can only find the one, but the person who told me this, has furnished me with 2 layout drawings that do not appear in my manual so there must be some truth to his claim  :palm:

I attach some photos of the various visual faults discovered so far and already I have uneasy feeling about this and wondering if it is repairable economically if I can locate these other manuals and wondering if anyone here has any info on these at all, or any internal photos that might assist me? The test point mentioned on the photos is where I tested for shorts because of the bad soldering.

It looks as if someone has been trying to modify it as it was not meant to have 2 reference oscillators fitted.

A well placed hand grenade ought to fix that right up.  :palm: Holy crap, what a mess.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: zzattack

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53656 on: March 26, 2020, 11:33:22 pm »
After reviewing this thread I believe I might have caught TEA. Please review for eligibility.

Thank you,

Chris

Yep, I'd say you have.  :-DD Welcome to the nuthouse.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: cjuried

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53657 on: March 26, 2020, 11:34:07 pm »
You most certainly qualify for membership, welcome to you. How long have you had this affliction? Thats a mighty impressive stack you have on the shelves there, I'm a bit jelly of that lot   :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cjuried

• Contributor
    • Juried Engineering
« Reply #53658 on: March 26, 2020, 11:37:45 pm »
You most certainly qualify for membership, welcome to you. How long have you had this affliction? Thats a mighty impressive stack you have on the shelves there, I'm a bit jelly of that lot   :-DD :-DD

Yes, this has been a lifelong passion. I would say I have another 20 pieces, not shown, which I must make space for. I've always been one for quantification.
juriedengineering.com/

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #53659 on: March 26, 2020, 11:39:03 pm »

Thank you,

Chris

I just checked with TEA management and they are waiving your first year's fees.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #53660 on: March 26, 2020, 11:52:57 pm »

Thank you,

Chris
Ah .... yeah .... you are clearly eligible!

Yes, this has been a lifelong passion. I would say I have another 20 pieces, not shown, which I must make space for. I've always been one for quantification.
Also, a candidate for advanced standing, subject to a couple of criteria - the first one being: How many pieces of kit have you opened up to make repairs?

BTW - My eyes aren't normally this shade of green.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53661 on: March 26, 2020, 11:53:53 pm »
OK, then after another little shopping spree today to Asda to primarily get some washing powder, breakfast cereals and hand soap. Queued for an hour to be admitted, standing 2 metres apart, they were operating a system only allowing a certain number of people in and once that limit was reached, it was 1 out, 1 in. Limiting purchases to 3 of any one item per customer, I was able to get a small washing powder only (had about 6 left, so I only took 1) got some Weetos and a few other bits and bobs, again did not grab my full quota as I don't need them. Shelves were still bare when it came to TP, and they only had a limited range of products available so its going a long time to restore stocks.

Heres the photos.

Butcher #1 went SK and then butcher #2 tried to 'fix' Butcher #1's work blindfolded :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53662 on: March 26, 2020, 11:54:19 pm »

A well placed hand grenade ought to fix that right up.  :palm: Holy crap, what a mess.  :scared:
I think you are right. I think now I've had more time to think about it, the 2 wires joined, came of a switch on backplate that switched between internal and external references, The 10MHz oscillator is connected to the external input cable, the input BNC has been removed and with the internal standard out BNC socket. The 5MHz oscillator could be removed back to the original position on the backplate. The R24 is replaceable but not sure what other damage has been done when it blew. I think the output section has been blown by back feeding from a ham radio keying up while connected to it, the caps could be replaced, but there are shitloads of bastard tants in there as well  :scared:

On the whole, I'm beginning to think its just not worth the effort or the expense, its a bloody great rabbit hole I never bargained on falling into, I just wanted a better RF generator than the Advance SG63A  |O I'm so glad now that I did take the Advance J2B and the Avo 8 as well while I was there, otherwise it would have been a 200 mile round trip for nothing  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline cjuried

• Contributor
    • Juried Engineering
« Reply #53663 on: March 26, 2020, 11:58:49 pm »

Thank you,

Chris

Also, a candidate for advanced standing, subject to a couple of criteria - the first one being: How many pieces of kit have you opened up to make repairs?

I cant seem to keep my hands off pieces to repair.
juriedengineering.com/

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #53664 on: March 27, 2020, 12:01:38 am »
Yep!  You're good!!   :-+

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #53665 on: March 27, 2020, 12:09:10 am »

Thank you,

Chris

An extraordinarily mild case, but we should give it a "thumbs up", IMHO  ^-^ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53666 on: March 27, 2020, 12:13:22 am »
Such butchery.  :(

mnem
"You uhhh... gonna eat that...?"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53667 on: March 27, 2020, 12:49:00 am »
I nearly forgot that I promised to post a photo of the Advance J2B in its case, sorry med, but this blue is the original colour and not fresh spray to match up with the Tek gear. Just need to address that carry handle now.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #53668 on: March 27, 2020, 01:22:41 am »
As promised. Tear down of the 8505A. In reality there isn't a lot to see.

I'm trying to add this to the POI, but getting database errors at the moment. Reported the error and will retry another time.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53669 on: March 27, 2020, 01:29:38 am »

Thank you,

Chris

I cant seem to keep my hands off pieces to repair.

Good boy!  :-+ These clowns in here are not only jealous of my paint schemes but I get side snickers when I rip into a PSU an change out all the capacitors.  :P :P :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53670 on: March 27, 2020, 01:52:38 am »
I nearly forgot that I promised to post a photo of the Advance J2B in its case, sorry med, but this blue is the original colour and not fresh spray to match up with the Tek gear. Just need to address that carry handle now.

Just so there's no confusion.

The Flukes are painted with Krylon Fusion Satin Rolling Surf.

The Tek's are painted with Krylon Gloss Bahama Sea

;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53671 on: March 27, 2020, 02:01:09 am »
Krylon Fusion Satin Rolling Surf.

Satin Rolling Surf, eh? Looks good. Is it the same tint as Gloss Bahama Sea, just a different finish?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53672 on: March 27, 2020, 02:06:29 am »
I'm trying to set up a search on eBay to give me a list of 7.5 or more digit multimeters, but all I get is crap based on my second numeric search term. I'm trying to use a string like this:

(HP, Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Hioki, Advantest, Guildline, Datron, Prema) AND (34470, 3458, 7510, 2002, 2001, 2010, DM7276, DM7275, R6581, 7081, 7071, 9578, 9577, 1281, 1271, 8017, 5017, 6048, 6047, 6040S)  -manual

I was under the impression that words in parentheses were a logical or and maybe it is, but it does not seem to honour the AND condition. Can anyone tell me how to make the eBay search return what I actually want?

(Hewlett, Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Hioki, Advantest, Guildline, Datron, Prema) (34470, 3458, 7510, 2002, 2001, 2010, DM7276, DM7275, R6581, 7081, 7071, 9578, 9577, 1281, 1271, 8017, 5017, 6048, 6047, 6040S)  -manual -dealer

That seems to work. 100-200 entries.

Yep, no "AND" operator. Words separated by spaces are ANDed (more or less). eBay's search engine does funky things sometimes (it's buggy like the rest of the site), but mostly does as directed.

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53673 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:40 am »

Thank you,

Chris

Instant TEA cred! Congratulations and welcome aboard. :-DMM

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53674 on: March 27, 2020, 03:02:59 am »
Urrk. I just slogged through about 45 minutes of tutorials; finally getting my hands dirty learning how to poke around in Marlin firmware as used on my 3DP. I think my mind just boggled.  :o

mnem
*crawls off to sleep in the analog world* :=\
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:41:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf