Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17482450 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53600 on: March 26, 2020, 10:19:25 am »
I've been a little antsy about the progress (or lack of) of my 3478A.  It has been a while since I last brought something in from the States, but the wait feels interminable.

No doubt this is a function of the increased visibility available these days through tracking events and the greater interest I have in this shipment than I have had for some time .... plus the Covid-19 factor just puts an edge on things as well.

I need a local distraction.
Things from the USA to the UK typically take 2 to 3 weeks, so I would expect to maybe add another week to reach Oz.

I have had parcels take 3-5 days to clear Erlanger then have a holiday in Hawaii for another few days in 'normal' times so a couple of weeks to Oz via GPS isn't a worry yet.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53601 on: March 26, 2020, 10:40:14 am »
Yeah looking good. Has 2A range as well which is handy. Will be a bit jumpy on that I imagine. Will grab one in morning. Thanks for feedback  :-+

This is car related for ref. Got problems  >:(. Want to check something before I pay someone a lot of money for some bollocks

Just don't let the Uni-t 210e plugged at the battery terminal when starting the car.

EDIT: Starting my previous car, Opel Astra 1.7 Diesel (299A peak)

EDIT2: Search for "ISO-Tech" @ebay, you may find something that interests you, though I totally agree that a Uni-t 210e is a must have for low current at the price. I have one.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:09:47 am by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53602 on: March 26, 2020, 10:44:00 am »

Playing Golf?

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53603 on: March 26, 2020, 11:33:31 am »
Neat installation that. Completely overkill but neat  :-DD

Thanks. That's actually an old photo. The printer is even more overkill now.

The lack of fans is pretty much essential. I don't have a particularly large apartment and with some prints taking several days, I don't want the noise from the printer disturbing my sleep. The big 480W supply runs the 450W heated bed and the 240W one runs the steppers, control electronics and hot end heater.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53604 on: March 26, 2020, 11:41:03 am »
I'm back. Got there just before 6 AM and there was a line of about 10 waiting to get in. And word got out that it was for 60+ only but store staff was right there at the door making sure. Store was certainly much busier than I see at 6 AM but not packed. But as I was checking out there were a lot more old folks coming in.

Store store stock was generally OK but some shelves empty. Oatmeal and paper napkins as an example. The meat aisle was still a wreck but better than last week. I did manage to get some chicken drumsticks which isn't even my typical 3rd choice but better than nothing.

And everyone just went about their business. Some wore masks. And this new "social distance" of 6 feet or more.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, AVGresponding

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53605 on: March 26, 2020, 12:02:55 pm »
The lack of fans is pretty much essential. I don't have a particularly large apartment and with some prints taking several days, I don't want the noise from the printer disturbing my sleep. The big 480W supply runs the 450W heated bed and the 240W one runs the steppers, control electronics and hot end heater.

What about the fan at the nozzle?

Example:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53606 on: March 26, 2020, 12:43:28 pm »
Don't think you can do much about that. My solution is to make only small things that take less than a day to print  :-DD

More time for TEA thread suddenly. Spent the last week replacing 50% of my job with a python script  8). Hope they don't work that out  :-DD

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53607 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:37 pm »
Spent the last week replacing 50% of my job with a python script  8). Hope they don't work that out  :-DD

Source:
https://xkcd.com/353/

Edit:
sorry, couldn't resist:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:05:13 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53608 on: March 26, 2020, 12:57:05 pm »
Exactly  :-DD.

This one is my favourite on that matter:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:58:38 pm by bd139 »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #53609 on: March 26, 2020, 01:08:51 pm »
Exactly  :-DD.

This one is my favourite on that matter:

Left out redneck. They would jump in, drink the water, and couldn't get back out.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #53610 on: March 26, 2020, 01:12:30 pm »

Playing Golf?

:)

Hell no.  The only balls I chase with a stick are bits of solder...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53611 on: March 26, 2020, 02:20:59 pm »
UT210E ordered. Thanks for everyone's feedback  :-+

Still looking for more toys to buy as I'm bored.

I did think about ...

1. buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076SBY7DG/
2. porting a subset of WP-34s to it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:23:33 pm by bd139 »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53612 on: March 26, 2020, 02:29:07 pm »
Cheap Genrad 1644a megaohm bridge on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133371164247

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53613 on: March 26, 2020, 02:35:46 pm »
UT210E ordered. Thanks for everyone's feedback  :-+

Still looking for more toys to buy as I'm bored.

I did think about ...

1. buying this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076SBY7DG/
2. porting a subset of WP-34s to it.

This calculator, is it really useful? Looks to me like something for beginners and a little bit like a toy.  :-//
And, in your case: it doesn't have a RPN!  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53614 on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:45 pm »
It has tactile keys, scan matrix, hardware and display. That's all I need. STM32 can go on a bodge board then it will be RPN (WP-34s is an open source RPN calculator implementation)  8)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53615 on: March 26, 2020, 02:57:30 pm »
you gonna' change the avatar then?

edit   or just rip the offensive key off?
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53616 on: March 26, 2020, 03:02:12 pm »
Key tops are plastic with paper inserts. New keys of course  8)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53617 on: March 26, 2020, 03:25:33 pm »
More time for TEA thread suddenly. Spent the last week replacing 50% of my job with a python script  8). Hope they don't work that out  :-DD

Well, devops innit gov? Like my CI/CD pipeline - Continued Idleness/Constant Distractions.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53618 on: March 26, 2020, 04:08:39 pm »

What about the fan at the nozzle?

It's quiet enough that it can't be heard once I close my bedroom door. I can hear the occasional fast travel move, but it's not loud enough to disturb.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53619 on: March 26, 2020, 04:44:37 pm »
But you only said that you were thinking about buying it, did you then
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53620 on: March 26, 2020, 05:19:55 pm »

Well, devops innit gov? Like my CI/CD pipeline - Continued Idleness/Constant Distractions.

:-DD

But you only said that you were thinking about buying it, did you then

No. Got distracted with some things on fire.  :--. I will reconsider later. Trying to find a copy of the instructions first so I can ID the MCU on it and work out how much of a pain it'd be to swap it for something useful.

Managed to obtain a chicken this morning and some frozen roast potatoes of unknown pedigree so now focusing on food first!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53621 on: March 26, 2020, 05:20:17 pm »
Yeah looking good. Has 2A range as well which is handy. Will be a bit jumpy on that I imagine. Will grab one in morning. Thanks for feedback  :-+

This is car related for ref. Got problems  >:(. Want to check something before I pay someone a lot of money for some bollocks

Just don't let the Uni-t 210e plugged at the battery terminal when starting the car.

EDIT: Starting my previous car, Opel Astra 1.7 Diesel (299A peak)

(Attachment Link)

EDIT2: Search for "ISO-Tech" @ebay, you may find something that interests you, though I totally agree that a Uni-t 210e is a must have for low current at the price. I have one.

299A is actually relatively low for a diesel, it must have been quite warm where you were. I work in the automotive electronics industry and in cold start conditions we expect anything up to 550A on start-up. So we fuse for 600A.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53622 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:34 pm »
I'm trying to set up a search on eBay to give me a list of 7.5 or more digit multimeters, but all I get is crap based on my second numeric search term. I'm trying to use a string like this:

(HP, Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Hioki, Advantest, Guildline, Datron, Prema) AND (34470, 3458, 7510, 2002, 2001, 2010, DM7276, DM7275, R6581, 7081, 7071, 9578, 9577, 1281, 1271, 8017, 5017, 6048, 6047, 6040S)  -manual

I was under the impression that words in parentheses were a logical or and maybe it is, but it does not seem to honour the AND condition. Can anyone tell me how to make the eBay search return what I actually want?
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53623 on: March 26, 2020, 05:43:52 pm »
299A is actually relatively low for a diesel, it must have been quite warm where you were. I work in the automotive electronics industry and in cold start conditions we expect anything up to 550A on start-up. So we fuse for 600A.

McBryce.

Temperatures in Portugal are not the same as in Germany, but I'm sure I took that picture for some reason, and that may be due to end of battery life or some other related problem.

Anyway, the point was to remind bd139 not have a current probe of 100A max, plugged in those conditions.

EDIT: Couldn't measure current in my actual car because the battery cabling is impossible to access on the positive terminal.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:21:58 pm by Mortymore »

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53624 on: March 26, 2020, 05:49:13 pm »
I'm trying to set up a search on eBay to give me a list of 7.5 or more digit multimeters, but all I get is crap based on my second numeric search term. I'm trying to use a string like this:

(HP, Agilent, Keysight, Keithley, Hioki, Advantest, Guildline, Datron, Prema) AND (34470, 3458, 7510, 2002, 2001, 2010, DM7276, DM7275, R6581, 7081, 7071, 9578, 9577, 1281, 1271, 8017, 5017, 6048, 6047, 6040S)  -manual

I was under the impression that words in parentheses were a logical or and maybe it is, but it does not seem to honour the AND condition. Can anyone tell me how to make the eBay search return what I actually want?

Have you tried some add-ons? Or specialized tools?
This one comes to my mind, don't know, if there is an english version around:

https://www.aborange.de/bayhunter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf