Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18050043 times)

Vince, EE4all and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53275 on: March 23, 2020, 04:34:15 am »
That doesn't mean I'm going to STICK with a bass-ackwards measure based on King 'enry's shoe size.

It was King John's foot actually.

unless you're an old fart MACHINIST who still thinks a South Bend Model A is the pinnacle of... something.

I thought the ne plus ultra was a clapped out old Bridgeport mill?

... like my grand-dad's F-150; which I love dearly, but you can fix most of what goes wrong with it using a hot-wrench and Vise-Grips.

As I was reading that, the line broke after "fix most of what" and my mind filled in "what's wrong with it with a case of 0.50 cal".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #53276 on: March 23, 2020, 05:02:34 am »
No time to play but on the outside near as darn it showroom condition and sent with enough bubble wrap to make Mother her suit  >:D

Wow, those look like they just came out of a cal lab.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #53277 on: March 23, 2020, 05:02:55 am »
C4. A .50 Cal is so unwieldy.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53278 on: March 23, 2020, 06:21:40 am »
So beard decorations it is then. Will you leave them up til Christmas, or put them away til Thanksgiving?   >:D

...It's NOT like this is an either/or scenario; there's a reason all these calibration/tuning models exist, FFS. That's the GREAT thing about 3D Printing; WTF-Ever it is, you can always print another one.  ;)

mnem

You are still attempting to argue the sky is blue. The Benchy is a real world test overall of a 3D printers setup a cube is apart from checking the steps/mm is correct and is largely pointless beyond that. Moving in X and Y together is what 3D printers do in a lot of their work unless you print Borg Cubes for 'fun'.

Your argument you can not tell X from Y on a benchy is flawed the only thing it doesn't have on it is an X or Y assuming you put them on the correct faces on the cube for a start. The Fish box does the same job as a cube test and doesn't give a rats if it starts 30 layers up or on the base it starts on a flat surface and finishes with a flat surface and is square and measurable.

I didn’t say CAN’T. I said the cube is BETTER for what I printed it for. You are the one arguing otherwise. I printed it, made the changes I wanted to, then moved onto SS Benchy. Who the eff cares that I prefer to print the cube FIRST...?

I dunno why you even feel a need to argue this; unless you’re feeling the need for an argument and nobody else took the bait.  ;)

mnem
“Oh, you want ‘ARGUMENTS’... This is ‘VERBAL ABUSE’. They’re just down the hall, third door on the right.”

I made a simple observation and pointed to measurements on the Benchy via a link and then you seemed to be in the mood for being Argudwagon   :-//

Some of the points you used are simply FALSE. You tried for example arguing the Benchy is not linear parts of it certainly are and they would serve the purpose of the Borg Cube very well. This simple thing you have avoided because it doesn't suit your narrative of Cube superiority.

Non directional get out a Texta and mark the benchy if you cant remember which is X or Y  :box:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53279 on: March 23, 2020, 06:29:15 am »
No time to play but on the outside near as darn it showroom condition and sent with enough bubble wrap to make Mother her suit  >:D

Wow, those look like they just came out of a cal lab.

They came out of the same home as my 34461A and the Fluke 335D. The Sellers Dad was a complete Test Gear Nutter  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53280 on: March 23, 2020, 06:29:22 am »
So here I am for some reason awake at 2 AM. Guess for the time being I'll stay up and put on the coffee. Speaking of which....I normally buy my coffee several containers at a time thru Amazon. The nitwit hoarders have hit that too. I can't get my brand at all.  ::) So I had to order something else. Now I'm not a coffee fanatic like Bean but I am particular about my coffee. Not sure if I'm going to be happy with it.

Since I'm diabetic I have routine doctor checkups every 6 months rather than once a year. My appointment is this Wednesday. I received a call last week that this will now be a "virtual" appointment over the computer. In other words I stay put here and log into a "chat" room. This should be a waste of time. How you gonna check my weight/bp/heart/etc? And I normally have blood drawn and give a urine sample. How we gonna handle that? Do I piss into the keyboard?  :-// Sounds like this is gonna be where the doc asks how I feel and I'm going to respond OK and that will be it. And Medicare gets socked with an appointment charge. Nice racket.  :palm:

I also have an eye appointment on April 10th and I've already received an e-mail from them that may have to cancel and push it out. We'll see. This virus shit is getting real.

Well I guess since I'm wide awake I'll start my weekly domestic chores like sweeping/dusting/etc.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53281 on: March 23, 2020, 06:44:26 am »
I made a simple observation and pointed to measurements on the Benchy via a link and then you seemed to be in the mood for being Argudwagon   :-//

Some of the points you used are simply FALSE. You tried for example arguing the Benchy is not linear parts of it certainly are and they would serve the purpose of the Borg Cube very well. This simple thing you have avoided because it doesn't suit your narrative of Cube superiority.

Non directional get out a Texta and mark the benchy if you cant remember which is X or Y  :box:
mnem argumentative? Never!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #53282 on: March 23, 2020, 07:03:50 am »
... far more of what you do is in metric than SAE... unless you're an old fart MACHINIST who still thinks a South Bend Model A is the pinnacle of... something.  :palm:

Seriously... the world IS metric, and it's designed in metric because everything comes from Asia. SAE/Imperial is for throwbacks like my grand-dad's F-150; which I love dearly, but you can fix most of what goes wrong with it using a hot-wrench and Vise-Grips.

mnem
And duck tape. ;)

Yeah, thought so. Thanks for confirming.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #53283 on: March 23, 2020, 07:06:18 am »

don't forget our very own robrenz, not the most prolific youtuber, but highly respected in that crowd, and a member here

His work is at an entirely different level of amazing. Them Kelvin clips. Such understated (looks like a normal small Pomona, but...) awesomeness.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #53284 on: March 23, 2020, 07:16:03 am »
Our new house (6yrs ago) had 50W halogen downlights throughout - after a test run - I replaced all 54 with these Phillips LEDs. Needed to parallel a few to keep the electronic supply happy (insufficient draw)
No failures since then.
The original cost was pretty high but power saving not trivial.
Phillips Master MR16 7W, 380lm, mostly the cool white and wider angle version.
(for some reason I can't up load a photo at present)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:03:40 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #53285 on: March 23, 2020, 07:19:04 am »
So here I am for some reason awake at 2 AM.
Must be our age or sumthing.  :-//
Bout once/month I have an early one yet little more gets done in a day !  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #53286 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:28 am »
unless you're an old fart MACHINIST who still thinks a South Bend Model A is the pinnacle of... something.

I thought the ne plus ultra was a clapped out old Bridgeport mill?

Naah, a flatbelt driven South Bend with pre-art-noveau (that's art-ancienne, right?) ornaments on its cast-iron base and a G & E shaper (on which you can make everything except money) both driven from single-phase motors because Edison was wrong and USA still suffers from his idiotic DC romance. There you go. The Bridgeport is the logical progression, though.

TBH, people with a (sometimes vectorized) clue tend to accept and embrace technological progress, even if their ideology and motivations might be right up Clusterfuck Alley.

/M, has a 1920s Storebro SA210 lathe, Whitworth threads and all, in parts in the garage.
Some day, yes, some day I'll assemble it and make parts that laugh at the CNC losers!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #53287 on: March 23, 2020, 07:26:15 am »
Our new house (6yrs ago) had 50W halogen downlights throughout - after a test run - I replaced all 54 with these Phillips LEDs. Needed to parallel a few to keep the electronic supply happy (insufficient draw)
No failures since then.
The original cost was pretty high but power saving not trivial.
Did exactly the same here however the older SMPS trannys didn't even like driving 3 LED's sometimes and would flicker like mad. Fiddled around with a # of configs then cursed them and bought some newer dimmable ones and drove 4 LEDs with each.
Far better light than the Halogens too and without the heat issues with sockets.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #53288 on: March 23, 2020, 08:02:29 am »
I was lucky - pairing them worked well, I had to buy a few new 'transformers' for a few of the single lights.
I liked that these units have air vents down the side - I assumed it would keep them a bit cooler - maybe.
It seemed bizarre saying the previous lights used 50W!  Then I recalled a standard incandescent was 60-75W. How things change - and for the better.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53289 on: March 23, 2020, 11:32:01 am »
We go all Winter with hardly a flake of snow. Our only major snow storm wasn't even in official Winter. It was in November.

It's now Spring. Guess what it's doing outside? You guessed it....SNOWING.  :rant: :wtf:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53290 on: March 23, 2020, 11:38:27 am »
Ahhh sweet apocalypse.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53291 on: March 23, 2020, 11:39:13 am »
This sucks. |O

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore, beanflying

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #53292 on: March 23, 2020, 11:47:36 am »
must be global warming. Unless it's Fallout. In that case: run for the hills, the sky is falling ...

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #53293 on: March 23, 2020, 12:09:29 pm »
Ahhh sweet apocalypse.

Sorry my fault, I planned the church wedding this May.
By sending a global virus pandemic and by messing up the seasons, God is clearly sending me a message.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53294 on: March 23, 2020, 12:11:37 pm »
Sorry my fault, I planned the church wedding this May.
By sending a global virus pandemic and by messing up the seasons, God is clearly sending me a message.

I think the message is probably "run away fast, lock yourself in a building and buy lots of test equipment just in case"  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53295 on: March 23, 2020, 12:23:17 pm »
This sucks. |O
Is that cone a fixture now?  Such a sweet photo though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #53296 on: March 23, 2020, 01:24:41 pm »
This sucks. |O

Looks like the Ardennes. Just with less snow.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53297 on: March 23, 2020, 02:15:11 pm »
Arggg there's a cheap AC calibrator on ebay this morning … Please could someone buy it before I do ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALHALLA-SCIENTIFIC-2703-PROGRAMMABLE-AC-VOLTAGE-STANDARD-POWERS-ON-NO-O/274315594249

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53298 on: March 23, 2020, 02:25:43 pm »
Arggg there's a cheap AC calibrator on ebay this morning … Please could someone buy it before I do ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VALHALLA-SCIENTIFIC-2703-PROGRAMMABLE-AC-VOLTAGE-STANDARD-POWERS-ON-NO-O/274315594249

Lucky me. Seller won't ship to Portugal. So I'll not spend twice as much in shipping and half of the total in taxes.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53299 on: March 23, 2020, 02:40:20 pm »

Dang I haven't left the house in a week. So I'm not gonna drive 2 states over to save the freight. Hell that will probably be double.
An old fart.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf