Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18052965 times)

Nanitamuscen, Jambalaya, timeandfrequency and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53225 on: March 22, 2020, 05:20:34 pm »
As per my protocol anytime a repair is made the victim gets it's turn on the torture rack. I consider a battery change a "repair".

Let it cook for several hours.

Except of course it isn't and you're wasting hours of its valuable life subjecting it to unnecessary torture.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53226 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:06 pm »
Too bad. I'm a hard driving bastard and if my equipment can't make the cut then they get booted to the TE closet branded forever as a "fail".  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53227 on: March 22, 2020, 05:38:47 pm »
Very useful, by using it highlighted that we should be good for around 125 days

63 days here. Which tallies quite well with my own estimate of a 24 pack lasting us 3 months, and it's a month since we last bought some.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53228 on: March 22, 2020, 05:53:22 pm »

This pleases me...

Family (and TEA family on the Discord ;)) finally let me get away long enough to finish installing Fusion360 & Cura; this is the first actual print off the machine.

I'm using the Alfawise U30 profile built into Cura 4.5; I've done precisely ZERO tweaking of the model except to select fine .1mm LH. Really hard to get better than that stock out of the box; some "Elephant foot" distortion of the bottom few layers is responsible for the difference in the Z-axis. I'm printing another one sliced with bed at 50°C instead of the profile default 60°C; also releveled "a hair looser". What I can see has no such distortion; if it completes successfully, I'll start a benchy with the same settings before I toddle off to ded.

BTW... the TouchScreen UI is just... sweet. Everything you need to USE the thing, laid out in an intuitive fashion. Of course no command-line UI; if you want to tweak the Marlin FW you'll have to do it the hard way via serial.  :-//

mnem
 :phew:

This tolerance really seems to be good.   :-+

At least if I DIY'ed a cubic like that myself from a piece of plastic with a file it would be incomparably worse.  >:D   :-DD

Another thing catches my eye: Are you metric, mnem? Have you always been or is Canada metric?   :P

It gets considerably better with minimal effort: Also: Working as a mechanic, then as a engineer, then as a mechanic again... I've been thinking in metric for decades, all except for temp and travel distance. The change with moving to Canada is incremental at best. ;)

2nd XYZ Cubey after relevel & dropping bed temp to 50°C. Some X-axis banding indicates I need to tighten up the belt on the printhead a bit. That recurring blem on the top surface as the printhead leaves the finished print is something I should be able to fix in Cura; it appears on 3DBenchy too. Honestly, quite decent prints as-is, tho.  :-+

Time to move onto the SS Benchy.
AFTER Pokemon time widda boi.  ;)

Lots more closeup pics here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg2976864/#msg2976864

mnem
"That'll do, Digg. That'll do."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53229 on: March 22, 2020, 05:56:49 pm »
Too bad. I'm a hard driving bastard and if my equipment can't make the cut then they get booted to the TE closet branded forever as a "fail".  :P :-DD

Or worse... forever branded with the scars of a Papa Smurf Booty Fab...  :-DD

mnem
*hard-moseying bastard* ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #53230 on: March 22, 2020, 06:12:49 pm »

mnem

There is no problem that cannot be resolved by careful application of 50 grams of Ceefour.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53231 on: March 22, 2020, 06:16:17 pm »
@mnem: Is this the recommended method to check the accuracy (and precision) of a 3D printer by printing out a 20mm (or something) cube? Is this usually specified somwhere in the manual or is this your experience?
Sorry for the dumb question, I have not fiddled around yet with a 3D printer.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53232 on: March 22, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »
printing this elephant foot is one of the common methods to verify the correct operation of your 3d gizmo and its settings.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53233 on: March 22, 2020, 06:25:12 pm »
You could try the very careful application of 50grams of C4
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #53235 on: March 22, 2020, 06:39:59 pm »
Quite helpful, especially the "advanced" settings group.   We are good for 45 days here, based on our usual supply levels.   ;D

I would never post a toilet paper calculator link to this group if it didn't have advanced options.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139, beanflying

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53236 on: March 22, 2020, 07:20:43 pm »
Quite helpful, especially the "advanced" settings group.   We are good for 45 days here, based on our usual supply levels.   ;D

I would never post a toilet paper calculator link to this group if it didn't have advanced options.  :-DD

Yeah, but to keep some people's interest it would have to be an RPN TP calculator, and have a few old caps that needed a precautionary replace.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53237 on: March 22, 2020, 07:22:39 pm »
I'd pay good money to see you try and get it in an MGF  >:D

You might have to wait a few months, Ikea (UK) are only doing home delivery at the moment.

David

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #53238 on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:09 pm »
A visualisation of the spreading of the COVID-19 by the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/22/world/coronavirus-spread.html
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #53239 on: March 22, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »
Let's keep this TEA thread as a sanctuary of things TEA and loosely related.

If we need to examine the depressing worldwide situation I suggest it be better done here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/covid-19-virus/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53240 on: March 22, 2020, 08:34:23 pm »
A visualisation of the spreading of the COVID-19 by the New York Times:

I think you mean "A visualisation by the New York Times of the spreading of COVID-19". The New York Times might be at fault for a lot of things, but actively spreading Covid-19 isn't one of them.  :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53241 on: March 22, 2020, 09:05:36 pm »

mnem

There is no problem that cannot be resolved by careful application of 50 grams of Ceefour.

Not enough to cure Papa Smurf... He'd eat that and burp blueberries at you.  :-DD

mnem
*currently sorting Benchy pix*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53242 on: March 22, 2020, 09:14:17 pm »
actually I got some new TE over the week end- The amazon driver dropped of an alcoholmeter, to be a bit more specific, 3 of those, covering 0 - 100% (or 99 for that matter).

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53243 on: March 22, 2020, 09:21:56 pm »
@mnem: Is this the recommended method to check the accuracy (and precision) of a 3D printer by printing out a 20mm (or something) cube? Is this usually specified somwhere in the manual or is this your experience?
Sorry for the dumb question, I have not fiddled around yet with a 3D printer.

I have never bothered printing a calibration cube I just check a measurement against a known design from time to time. Square sided tests eliminate some of the reality of 3D printing more general shapes.

Recently I did some Dogs for my woodworking bench with a 20mm nominal DIAMETER design to get them to 19.9xmm I had to tweak the design to 19.7 some of this is down to the process using STL files which rather than being a true arc are a series of triangles and a chunk I am putting down to the Slicers interpertation of that STL. The remaining small bit is the mechanics.

The Benchy design however if you use the known measurements for it and look at the features clinically is however a much better test print as it encompasses Square, Round, Overhangs, Bridges and a bunch of other potential hiccups.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53244 on: March 22, 2020, 09:24:55 pm »
@mnem: Is this the recommended method to check the accuracy (and precision) of a 3D printer by printing out a 20mm (or something) cube? Is this usually specified somewhere in the manual or is this your experience?   Sorry for the dumb question, I have not fiddled around yet with a 3D printer.

printing this elephant foot is one of the common methods to verify the correct operation of your 3d gizmo and its settings.

While the cube may be functionally useless (aside from use as cribbing or to occupy little fingers) the term "elephant foot" refers to distortion of the print where it flares out at the bottom in all directions as the first cube did. Second cube did not do this.

Yes, it is one of the "benchmark" prints you do to confirm that your printer indeed prints what is designed to the dimensions designed, not whatever the eff it feels like. If it is not printing to the correct dimensions, it will tell you which axis is at fault, whereupon you can conform and resolve why. 

There are others calibration & benchmark prints that help you dial in best print temp for your particular filament, extrusion rates, maximum safe X-Y axis speeds, and oodles of other stuff. Search "benchmark" or "calibration" on thingiverse.com and you'll get oodles of hits. I just do the cube first because it's quick to print and uses very little filament even at high resolution, and it confirms core functionality is at least in the right ballpark.

mnem
Everybody needs something to believe in... I believe I'm going to take a nap.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:33:09 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53245 on: March 22, 2020, 09:37:18 pm »
chores for today are done.
PC build finalized, system packed up. Camera for daughter ready to go.
ah yes, the Rigol I could not help grabbing was a 1054Z.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53246 on: March 22, 2020, 09:55:53 pm »
The Benchy design however if you use the known measurements for it and look at the features clinically is however a much better test print as it encompasses Square, Round, Overhangs, Bridges and a bunch of other potential hiccups.

SS Benchy is designed as a "torture test" to provide difficult-to-print negative spaces and surfaces with text, compound curves, & unsupported overhangs. Also to test linearity of holes and ability to print overhangs, bridges, & odd angles all of which which requires the printer to move in both X & Y axes at the same time. It deliberately does not have any square surfaces; the closest it has is the open rectangular box behind the wheelhouse.

It's not really a good test for dimensional accuracy because of its nonlinear form, which does not directly indicate which axis may be at fault if not accurate. ;)

mnem
It also takes a effing long time to print for a test print.  :P

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #53247 on: March 22, 2020, 10:10:44 pm »
Also: Working as a mechanic, then as a engineer, then as a mechanic again... I've been thinking in metric for decades, all except for temp and travel distance. The change with moving to Canada is incremental at best. ;)

Funny. Am I to assume that the Youtube mechanics club, ie. Fenner, Booth, Rucker et al. are, say, on the traditional side of the bell curve, because they constantly speak in inches (and thousands, which of course is one large defeat for the "fractions are better" club..) and you seem to give the impression that it would be normal for someone who's been mechanic, then (as a) engineer, then (as a) mechanic again to live metricly even in Texas?

/M, kept tolerances around the 39 thou level in todays project. (yes, watching youtube machinists has gotten me to think more freely in inches, but I'm as metric as they come..)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #53248 on: March 22, 2020, 10:15:55 pm »
Toast anyone?

A lovely little PS that was powering a shelf LED lighting setup in my living room. Having had high hopes of a long life - this was not to be we now realize. Upon opening we were greeted by a familiar smell that somewhere in my brain is recognized as the first greeting of an un-working electronic item. Where do they store the smell in there?

The eyes see the nicely-browned or toasted PCB, the color, at least, reminds one of an otherwise nice breakfast of toast, eggs, and bacon. A gently-curved capacitor top is another sight indicating the bad malice which happened over time inside this little habitat of parts (even on another one still hanging on it's roots). And, a well-shorted MOSFET too is part of the confusing path the electrons are greeted with now, or were yesterday. This causing them to choose a way which was not the intended "yellow brick road" the designers had in mind. Not leading them to the Emerald City, but rather to the wicked witches lair - not a happy ending for all involved.

It's OK Dorothy - you are going back to Kansas - the wicked witch is dead.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53249 on: March 22, 2020, 10:22:36 pm »
You do have to wonder how many houses burn down due to shitty SMPS units.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf