Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18052942 times)

Nanitamuscen, Jambalaya, timeandfrequency, ddrl46 and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #53150 on: March 21, 2020, 09:01:36 pm »
Discord time everyone  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53151 on: March 21, 2020, 09:16:57 pm »

Hope you'll enjoy the show.

The only problem I had with that was working out which one was Dave Grohl and which one was Animal.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #53152 on: March 21, 2020, 11:47:51 pm »

Ummm.... yeah. 13 days...? SERIOUSLY...?

mnem
Well, where are you? Wait a sec... you've been flying around for two weeks trying to get a signal...? You must smell like feet wrapped in leathery burnt bacon...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53153 on: March 22, 2020, 01:24:34 am »
What's this world coming to...? I went out to get me a carrot cake... AT 9:00 PM... and the store was closed! How DARE THEY deny me my midnight snack on account of some insignificant little contagion...?  |O

mnem
Shoulda known better.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:26:27 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #53154 on: March 22, 2020, 02:16:21 am »
This mornings plans went slightly amok my Mother thought inspecting the floorboards up close at 6am was the thing to do (nothing serious fortunately) :palm: Lucky for me Bubble Wrap is still plentiful, time to make her the suit I have been threatening for a while ....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #53155 on: March 22, 2020, 02:31:47 am »
This mornings plans went slightly amok my Mother thought inspecting the floorboards up close at 6am was the thing to do (nothing serious fortunately) :palm: Lucky for me Bubble Wrap is still plentiful, time to make her the suit I have been threatening for a while ....

I am glad she is (mostly) okay. If she rebels regarding the bubble wrap, tell her the alternative is a bolt-on wheel rack.

Worked for my mom.   >:D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53156 on: March 22, 2020, 03:16:11 am »
RANDOM MODE:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2833916

/RANDOM MODE

mnem
*printing all dem cubezz*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:12:10 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53157 on: March 22, 2020, 04:15:51 am »

This pleases me...

Family (and TEA family on the Discord ;)) finally let me get away long enough to finish installing Fusion360 & Cura; this is the first actual print off the machine.

I'm using the Alfawise U30 profile built into Cura 4.5; I've done precisely ZERO tweaking of the model except to select fine .1mm LH. Really hard to get better than that stock out of the box; some "Elephant foot" distortion of the bottom few layers is responsible for the difference in the Z-axis. I'm printing another one sliced with bed at 50°C instead of the profile default 60°C; also releveled "a hair looser". What I can see has no such distortion; if it completes successfully, I'll start a benchy with the same settings before I toddle off to ded.

BTW... the TouchScreen UI is just... sweet. Everything you need to USE the thing, laid out in an intuitive fashion. Of course no command-line UI; if you want to tweak the Marlin FW you'll have to do it the hard way via serial.  :-//

mnem
 :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Kosmic

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53158 on: March 22, 2020, 07:40:38 am »

This pleases me...

Family (and TEA family on the Discord ;)) finally let me get away long enough to finish installing Fusion360 & Cura; this is the first actual print off the machine.

I'm using the Alfawise U30 profile built into Cura 4.5; I've done precisely ZERO tweaking of the model except to select fine .1mm LH. Really hard to get better than that stock out of the box; some "Elephant foot" distortion of the bottom few layers is responsible for the difference in the Z-axis. I'm printing another one sliced with bed at 50°C instead of the profile default 60°C; also releveled "a hair looser". What I can see has no such distortion; if it completes successfully, I'll start a benchy with the same settings before I toddle off to ded.

BTW... the TouchScreen UI is just... sweet. Everything you need to USE the thing, laid out in an intuitive fashion. Of course no command-line UI; if you want to tweak the Marlin FW you'll have to do it the hard way via serial.  :-//

mnem
 :phew:

This tolerance really seems to be good.   :-+

At least if I DIY'ed a cubic like that myself from a piece of plastic with a file it would be incomparably worse.  >:D   :-DD

Another thing catches my eye: Are you metric, mnem? Have you always been or is Canada metric?   :P
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53159 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:17 am »
That’s pretty good that is. I’m quite surprised at the dimensional accuracy of 3D printers if I’m honest. It’s pretty amazing. Now if only I could muster designs that were measured out properly  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53160 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:50 am »
Interesting development. I received a PM from inverted18650 (Chris) last night. He wanted to apologize for not meeting up with me and also wanted to refund my money. I told him to forget about the cash that his health and well being was more important. I also invited him to rejoin our band of misfits. I received a response insisting that he wanted to refund the cash and that he would not be participating in the blog.
I sent him my info and again invited him to join us. I have not heard back.

So....that's all I know. Sounds like he's still struggling with his demons. It's really a shame. If I hear anything more I'll let everyone know. Hard to believe that it's been a year already.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, beanflying, syau

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53161 on: March 22, 2020, 08:08:41 am »
Check his post history here. There’s an update. Doesn’t sound good  :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53162 on: March 22, 2020, 08:12:15 am »
Interesting, I didn't think to check that. Yea, doesn't look good. 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53163 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:35 am »
Make sure he knows about the weakly discord session too if he doesn't want to play here  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53164 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:47 am »
Check his post history here. There’s an update. Doesn’t sound good  :(

I agree. Sad.   :(
Good to hear from him anyways.

Here's the link:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/away-a-while/msg2975974/#msg2975974
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53165 on: March 22, 2020, 08:53:38 am »
I started tearing down the 2430 to replace NVRAM backup battery. While not a nightmare getting it torn down to access the battery is..shall we say....not fun. I'd like to meet the engineer who designed this and give him a good swift kick in the nuts. Without too much effort he could have made battery access easier.

Anyway, I've got it torn down and I checked the old battery. Amazingly it measures 3.5V. This scope has a build date stamped of November 8, 1985. As near as I can tell this is the original battery. 35 years old and still good. But I'm changing it anyway. I have to tie in backup power before pulling it. The little pip squeak HP power supply will be perfect for that.

Pictures later. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53166 on: March 22, 2020, 08:54:41 am »
Make sure he knows about the weakly discord session too if he doesn't want to play here  ;)

My gut feeling is that I don't think he would participate.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #53167 on: March 22, 2020, 09:43:10 am »
the post reads like a farewell, see you in Walhalla.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53168 on: March 22, 2020, 10:05:17 am »
the post reads like a farewell, see you in Walhalla.

He's an army vet. Don't recall if he was in Iraq or Afghanistan. Since he's no longer going to post here I'll tell what he told me. An IED blew up his buddy....literally. He had to pick up pieces.  :o  That trauma has followed him home haunted him ever since.  :(   

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #53169 on: March 22, 2020, 10:09:23 am »
That is real shit.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53170 on: March 22, 2020, 10:10:14 am »
The last round of surgery was when he really dropped off the TEA/EEVBlog thread which is a shame. Until then we sort of had an email chatty thing going of 50+ last time I checked as well as being fairly active here.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #53171 on: March 22, 2020, 10:21:42 am »
trauma can haunt you a lifetime and it is extremely difficult to cope with. Had my fair share and can relate. I wish him the best. May he overcome his daemons and find peace.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #53172 on: March 22, 2020, 10:22:42 am »
We need some humor. Love this. Gonna copy and it's my new mantra.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, beanflying, Kosmic, AVGresponding, Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53173 on: March 22, 2020, 10:24:20 am »
I started tearing down the 2430 to replace NVRAM backup battery. While not a nightmare getting it torn down to access the battery is..shall we say....not fun. I'd like to meet the engineer who designed this and give him a good swift kick in the nuts. Without too much effort he could have made battery access easier.

Anyway, I've got it torn down and I checked the old battery. Amazingly it measures 3.5V. This scope has a build date stamped of November 8, 1985. As near as I can tell this is the original battery. 35 years old and still good. But I'm changing it anyway. I have to tie in backup power before pulling it. The little pip squeak HP power supply will be perfect for that.

Pictures later. 
Personally, I would not risk a power supply, hook another battery up as a temp supply and use that. There's always a risk of a power outage or glitch and your in deep shit.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53174 on: March 22, 2020, 10:26:50 am »
We need some humor. Love this. Gonna copy and it's my new mantra.  :P :P :-DD

That's how I roll too. I'm actually enjoying this. I work from home. If I'm at home I'd rather no one visited. And if I'm out it's where there are no people  :-DD

"Come to the company pub night" they said. Nope sorry I've got to sort my resistors.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf