Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18103838 times)

trackersoft, Robert763, mweymarn and 93 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52850 on: March 19, 2020, 05:44:02 pm »
I'm so thankful everyday that there's no wife here.  ;D

No anything either. The Lady Cop and I parted ways several months ago. And no...I don't want to talk about it.  ::)

So like bd we be totally free.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52851 on: March 19, 2020, 05:57:12 pm »
What I heard was on a radio news program and The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan has been interviewed about why has London not followed the other major cities in the world and it is something that is being considered because it is the Coronavirus capital of the UK at present with 953 confirmed cases of the virus.

I also mentioned  that schools were about to be closed, because Essex County Council decides to close all schools as of Friday afternoon following a confirmed case in my son's old infant school, a day later the Government announced the same thing on a national level so that verified what I had said was correct.

That is very different from what you said, which was:

Just heard the end of the news on the radio and there was something about London shops being shut down apart from chemists and food shops, so it looks my information does have some substance after all.

in the context of you saying this previously:

My son has just come from his shift in a large national chain store and says that there are rumours that shops could be closed as of Friday night apart from food shops and also that the army is due to be called in to enforce a lockdown. This has come from the store managers who have been briefed from H/Q who I assume have been having high level discussions with Westminster.

It's a far cry from "the mayor says it's being considered" to "London shops being shut down apart from chemists and food shops" as if it's a done deal and " the army is due to be called in to enforce a lockdown". That really is how rumours start and snowball into god knows what. If you've heard that the mayor has said that he is considering some action then report it as that, not as if it's a fait accompli.

Just asking for a bit more thought before, and slightly more judicial choice of words when you do, make a pronouncement.
I said pretty much the same yesterday, but instead of showing restraint some people are doubling or even tripling down on spreading rumours and FUD. The lack of restraint boggles the mind. I guess this is the internet equivalent of that one person screaming their lungs out when things get serious.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #52852 on: March 19, 2020, 06:00:31 pm »
Remember that offer I sent to the ebay seller with the 53310A, the offer that expired unanswered?  Got an email from him this morning, asking me if I want to buy it for my offer price. It's not a jammie git but it is a very good deal.

So... do I let me resolve to not buy any new TE dissolve?

Oh wait, this is the TEA thread. Probably the wrong place to ask that question.  ;D

In other news, did my weekly grocery run at the smallish, locally owned grocer. The shelves were well stocked. The only thing they didn't have was toilet paper, chicken, black beans, and rice. I wonder if there's a correlation between the first and the last three?  The place wasn't packed with shoppers and there were no queues. It was weird, though, as most of the shoppers seemed to be wandering around, randomly putting stuff in their carts. I think I was the only one in the place with a list.

Take care of yourself and others, as you are able. This is going to be a long, ugly, slow rolling disaster.

specialization is for insects.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52853 on: March 19, 2020, 06:01:29 pm »
Please, do not start a fight about this. It's not worth it.  :-[
At tense time like these we all have an obligation to keep a cool head. Group behaviour will decide how this all turns out and rumours can do very real damage. We need to stamp them out with zeal.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52854 on: March 19, 2020, 06:07:29 pm »
Remember that offer I sent to the ebay seller with the 53310A, the offer that expired unanswered?  Got an email from him this morning, asking me if I want to buy it for my offer price. It's not a jammie git but it is a very good deal.

Oh wait, this is the TEA thread. Probably the wrong place to ask that question.  ;D

In other news, did my weekly grocery run at the smallish, locally owned grocer. The shelves were well stocked. The only thing they didn't have was toilet paper, chicken, black beans, and rice. I wonder if there's a correlation between the first and the last three?  The place wasn't packed with shoppers and there were no queues. It was weird, though, as most of the shoppers seemed to be wandering around, randomly putting stuff in their carts. I think I was the only one in the place with a list.

Take care of yourself and others, as you are able. This is going to be a long, ugly, slow rolling disaster.
Here it looks like the hoarding craze is dying down. Some shelves still were emptier than usual but everything looked a lot more normal. I asked staff and they confirmed things were a lot less hectic than they have been.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52855 on: March 19, 2020, 06:08:26 pm »
Regarding so-called rumours, I do actually know what I heard on the radio. I had switched on a national station just as the news was ending and it did say what I said it did. I subsequently had to do some searching around on the internet trying to find some collaborative evidence to please those that seemed to doubt what I had heard, but what I found could be days old, unlike the radio.

Likewise with regard to the other news I gave about the potential deployment of the army and shops closing, that also came from what should be a very reliable source because it came from the management of a large national chain warning their staff of a potential closure of their stores under the emergency powers of Government but was reassuring the staff that their jobs would be safe, to check the company intranet for further updates before leaving home for their shifts. Some staff members have to travel reasonable distances that incur costs. If the stores close because they are ordered to do so in order contain this blasted virus, the staff would NOT be paid for duration of shutdown. The fact that managers were telling staff that, would tend to suggest that the company had been given a warning from the Government, yes/no?

Had I been told by a passer-by etc then I would not have posted the information.

So if my posts on this matter have offended anyone, then I apologise and your comments have been taken on board and duly noted.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:35:07 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52856 on: March 19, 2020, 06:16:47 pm »
I'm so thankful everyday that there's no wife here.  ;D

No anything either. The Lady Cop and I parted ways several months ago. And no...I don't want to talk about it.  ::)

So like bd we be totally free.  :-DD
Sorry to hear that. I hope you're not feeling blue.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52857 on: March 19, 2020, 06:24:52 pm »

Here it looks like the hoarding craze is dying down. Some shelves still were emptier than usual but everything looked a lot more normal. I asked staff, and they confirmed things were a lot less hectic than they have been.
Question is, where is here? Here in the UK, at least in Braintree and Chelmsford, Essex that is NOT the case, freezer cabinets and the shelves containing most food stuffs and ingredients were stripped bare, along with the household cleaning items and pharmaceuticals. Fresh fruit and vegetables almost gone, along with a lot of the wines and spirits. There is or was when I was there an hour ago, plenty of cakes and sweets. Customers were restricted to 3 items of the same barcode regardless of any national or regional deals such as Muller yogurts are currently on offer any 12 for £3, not any more Tesco in Braintree for instance, only allowing just 3 yogurts at the checkout, this is in case there is any doubt, factual and my son was with me and saw and witnessed what I was told by staff members.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52858 on: March 19, 2020, 06:29:24 pm »

:-DD :-DD
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52859 on: March 19, 2020, 06:33:45 pm »

That is a tough question that only you can really answer, how bad do you want the item, is it something that duplicates what you have, or does add to your capabilities etc? I know that many people would egg you on to get it but given the current climate and the uncertainty over the duration of it, you might need to liquid assets for other requirements. I know that I'm currently hoping to land something that I have been after for a long time, but I have set myself a very tight budget and if I get it, it could a jammy git thing, but I'm not that hopeful.

Sorry I'm not offering you much encouragement here, which is not the normal done thing, but these are not normal times  :o
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52860 on: March 19, 2020, 06:48:53 pm »
Here in the UK, at least in Braintree and Chelmsford, Essex that is NOT the case, freezer cabinets and the shelves containing most food stuffs and ingredients were stripped bare, along with the household cleaning items and pharmaceuticals. Fresh fruit and vegetables almost gone, along with a lot of the wines and spirits.

Here, in deepest darkest East London, the one thing that's not been disappearing from the shelves is booze. It would be infra dig of me to pass any comments on my neighbours in Essex based on the above quote.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52861 on: March 19, 2020, 06:49:00 pm »
Question is, where is here? Here in the UK, at least in Braintree and Chelmsford, Essex that is NOT the case, freezer cabinets and the shelves containing most food stuffs and ingredients were stripped bare, along with the household cleaning items and pharmaceuticals. Fresh fruit and vegetables almost gone, along with a lot of the wines and spirits. There is or was when I was there an hour ago, plenty of cakes and sweets. Customers were restricted to 3 items of the same barcode regardless of any national or regional deals such as Muller yogurts are currently on offer any 12 for £3, not any more Tesco in Braintree for instance, only allowing just 3 yogurts at the checkout, this is in case there is any doubt, factual and my son was with me and saw and witnessed what I was told by staff members.
First hand factual reporting without additional speculation or extrapolation generally isn't the issue. "I saw empty shelves in two stores" is quite another matter than "I heard shelves are empty everywhere ".

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #52862 on: March 19, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »
+++ Breaking News +++ Essity is buying Google! +++ Breaking News +++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essity

:-DD

I just remembered I've got Essity stock. Doing reasonably well, are they; definitely better than my other shares.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52863 on: March 19, 2020, 07:33:23 pm »
Well here's some good news.....the seller of the Fluke 8505A finally got back to me. It's coming via USPS, not FedEx. I got the tracking and it's on the way. Projected receive is Monday but it's only coming from Long Island so I may get it sooner. We'll see but at least I know it's coming.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52864 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:30 pm »

:-DD :-DD

I got over it. I'm too old to put up with the BS. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52865 on: March 19, 2020, 07:41:35 pm »
Here in the UK, at least in Braintree and Chelmsford, Essex that is NOT the case, freezer cabinets and the shelves containing most food stuffs and ingredients were stripped bare, along with the household cleaning items and pharmaceuticals. Fresh fruit and vegetables almost gone, along with a lot of the wines and spirits.

Here, in deepest darkest East London, the one thing that's not been disappearing from the shelves is booze. It would be infra dig of me to pass any comments on my neighbours in Essex based on the above quote.  :)
Earlier in the week, I would whole heartily concur with your observations, but now, that is not the case, today in Aldi Chelmsford, and particularly Tesco in Braintree the shelves are very Spartan indeed. I can only report what I and my Son witnessed first hand.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52866 on: March 19, 2020, 07:47:41 pm »
Phil, see my PM. Need your name/address in order to get the HP probes sent out tomorrow morning.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52867 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:25 pm »
I'm a diseased bastard :-DD
All of us here are !  :P
Infected with TEA is not so bad on anything but the wallet and the need for more room but those with a bent for boat anchors risk permanent disability !  :scared:

Get well soon bd and hope you and the kids are faring OK.

Borders closed here but shipments and commerce still operative which is just as well as I'm getting low on some stock but luckily a seafreight order is forecast to hit our shores next week.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52868 on: March 19, 2020, 07:53:42 pm »

Earlier in the week, I would whole heartily concur with your observations, but now, that is not the case, today in Aldi Chelmsford, and particularly Tesco in Braintree the shelves are very Spartan indeed. I can only report what I and my Son witnessed first hand.

Aye it's gutted here too. Waitrose, Iceland, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, M&S, off licenses, independent supermarkets all completely shafted. I've been supermarket surfing for a couple of days before locking myself in and it was bad then. A friend of ours spent 5 hours driving around today trying to find stuff. Couldn't even get any bread. Also had same reports from people at work in multiple locations all around London.

The panic buyers is a problem but there's a massive problem with supermarket and supply chain staffing at the moment. They're right about the goods being available but the system isn't cut out for getting where stuff needs to be.

The whole thing is a shit show.

Right off to play with some PCF8574's :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:59:50 pm by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52869 on: March 19, 2020, 08:07:56 pm »
I deserved that one.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52870 on: March 19, 2020, 08:13:32 pm »
Infected with TEA is not so bad on anything but the wallet and the need for more room but those with a bent for boat anchors risk permanent disability !  :scared:

Borders closed here but shipments and commerce still operative which is just as well as I'm getting low on some stock but luckily a seafreight order is forecast to hit our shores next week.  :phew:

Thanks for the concern. All good. I haven't taken any time off work yet. I'm waiting until I'm not sick for that  :-DD. Hope everyone else stays well!

Fingers crossed for you. Also being an island dweller it must be slightly scary like it is here. A lot of our stuff comes in from Europe (hence why Brexit is such a fucking stupid idea).

As for TE being an expensive hobby, it's quite surprisingly cheap. One of my colleagues blew £700 on a golf bat the other day.  :palm:. It doesn't even have any LEDs or knobs on it ffs

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52871 on: March 19, 2020, 08:15:38 pm »
...Sadly the tips supplied with the Metcal are all fooked, having to try and resurrect them (nasty flux oxidation so they won't wet)...[/color][/b]

Try restoring them with an ammonium phosphate-based  tip tinner/tip activator.   https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltronics-FBA_TMT-TC-2-Lead-Tinner-Container/dp/B00NS4J6BY/

This stuff can be pretty aggressive; once it has tinned a tip for me, I immediately tin/wipe/tin/wipe several times with a rosin/lead-based solder to get rid of any of the flux residue from the tinner tablet.

Do NOT attack your MetCal/ThermalTronics tips with a file! Also, dump the wet sponge and get you one of these brass or SS scrubber pots:   

Good luck,

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a printer mallet*

Yeah I have a scrubber, but the oxide layer is too stubborn for that.

I'm going to stick a brass wheel in the Dremel and have at it on a low speed setting. *dons safety squints*

Yeah, the Brillo is really only to KEEP it clean once you've got it tinned. Get the ammonium phosphate tip tinner; stuff is effing MAGIC.  :-+

It restored the crusty-arse cartridge that came with the industrially-abused & used handle that I bought from China for 20 quid; I use it all the time now, it's one of my go-to tips. Well, it is when I actually HAVE my MetCal and my bench. ;) |O

I'd buy a new tip https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-iron-tips/0420996/

Wet sponge is fine. Mine is on original tip and I've had the iron two years. Second cartridge though!

If you look at the training vids from HAKKO, there's one that explains why they went to the Brillo pad. The thermal shock from abrupt cooling can cause the joint between the tip and the tube to fracture, loosening the tip and allowing steam and flux to enter and contact the heating element. I thought it was all hooey to cover up inferior manufacturing and design; but I've ruined one of my new Thermaltronics and a couple of my cheap clone T12 cartridges that way, so now I'm a good boy and only use the Brillo. No failures since. :-+

I actually just bought a cheap stainless steel scouring pad from the grocery when I got here, and pegged it to my T12 soldering iron stand with a random bit of springy wire. cost Like a buck. :-+

Thing of Random from Evilbay Dwagon in Drag  >:D   

You've stolen Mnem's toe-nail cutter? Man, is he going to be pissed.

Rented; for the bargain price of "another bean story" when he tells what deviltry he got up to with it. >:D   I think I'm getting good value for my investment, honestly.    :-DD

Also, dump the wet sponge and get you one of these brass or SS scrubber pots

Why? I have both. Do not use wet kitchen sponge for your solder, I did it once and it was a mess.... stupid me.

See above. Plastic sponge, yeah no good; has to be cellulose sponge or it melts. I used to use bits cut off a cellulose Scrunge; used the abrasive scrubber side when cold to keep my tips shiny. But now I just use the Brillo since I've stepped out of the dark ages and upgraded to all cartridge-based soldering stations. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:23:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, klab

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52872 on: March 19, 2020, 08:20:11 pm »

Thanks for the concern. All good. I haven't taken any time off work yet. I'm waiting until I'm not sick for that  :-DD. Hope everyone else stays well!

Fingers crossed for you. Also being an island dweller it must be slightly scary like it is here. A lot of our stuff comes in from Europe (hence why Brexit is such a fucking stupid idea).

As for TE being an expensive hobby, it's quite surprisingly cheap. One of my colleagues blew £700 on a golf bat the other day.  :palm:. It doesn't even have any LEDs or knobs on it ffs
We not to bad with confirmed infections now 28 but I expect that will rise.
Living where we do out of the hussle and bussle of a city is comforting but we still can't fully isolate ourselves from outside contact other than be careful when we do.
TP is not an issue as there's now plenty of soft Dock leaves after some very welcome rain.  :phew:  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52873 on: March 19, 2020, 08:28:13 pm »
We not to bad with confirmed infections now 28 but I expect that will rise.
Living where we do out of the hussle and bussle of a city is comforting but we still can't fully isolate ourselves from outside contact other than be careful when we do.
TP is not an issue as there's now plenty of soft Dock leaves after some very welcome rain.  :phew:  :-DD

Good to hear.

The dock leaf thing reminds me of a cruel trick a friend of mine played on another friend. We were out camping and when we dug the toilet hole friend A bent some nettles over it. So in the dark off goes friend B with his head torch for a shit, bends over, shoves his arse out and the tuft of nettles go up his knot. Cue "awww fucking hell". Not content with this, using the old "rub a dock leaf on it" folklore that doesn't work anyway, he was handed a specially prepared one with a couple of nettle leafs on it to ease the pain :-DD.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:30:13 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52874 on: March 19, 2020, 09:51:40 pm »
The panic buyers is a problem but there's a massive problem with supermarket and supply chain staffing at the moment. They're right about the goods being available but the system isn't cut out for getting where stuff needs to be.

As somebody else (james_s I think) said today, it's a control loop that's seen a step function that nobody designed it for. So we're going to see undershoot, overshoot and ringing over the next couple of weeks until it settles down. If any of the highly paid execs at the supermarkets were actually employed for their business acumen (as opposed to being part of the finance capitalist's boy's club) then someone would have had the nous to do the equivalent of slapping a feedforward cap across it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf