Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16680160 times)

6h8c, Everbrave and 53 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52675 on: March 18, 2020, 03:08:09 am »
I'm still here, lurking and reading posts. Just don't have the energy to participate much right now.

Only TE news... put a low ball bid in on a HP3110A that was ignored. Still no bids on it and it has a reserve, so it is unlikely that my resolve will falter wrt the promise I made (to myself) not to buy any more gear until I clear the shelves a bit. 
specialization is for insects.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52676 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:49 am »
Still, you did put an offer in, didn't you?   ;D

I did the same thing yesterday - and now I wait for my new acquisition to arrive.   :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52677 on: March 18, 2020, 04:31:23 am »
Has anyone seen these cap testers at all and are they any good?

https://eds-inc.com/cap.html

I vaguely remember seeing a cartoon presentation of the original back in the day when the Dick Smith/Blue ESR meters were pretty much it; decades ago at least. The website claims boldly but opaquely that the meter "isolates the capacitor under test" yet no mention of how. The advertised test frequency of  "above 100khz" seems deliberately vague, and certainly not appropriate for most mid to large value caps used for brute-force filtering.

My gut reaction is that any successful diag work this thing makes possible will be entirely dependent on you developing your own intuition about the circuits you're working on and how to set the DCR and how to interpret the results; I am highly suspicious of their "Check any Electrolytic Capacitor in-circuit with 100% accuracy in 3 seconds - Guaranteed!*" promise as they don't really tell ANYTHING about HOW they perform this magic.

EDS no longer manufactures these or any TE; they've sold off the rights to 3rd party Merced Electronics, which website exists ONLY to peddle this one product: https://www.mercedelectronics.com/

I'm as inclined to give it a pass now as I was when I bought my Atlas ESR70+, especially at $230 +S/H or more.

I've attached some pics of the bare PCB found on fleaBay for your perusal.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?p=348781&postcount=11

https://www.tindie.com/products/eccentricwkshp/eds-inc-capanalyzer-88a-pcb/#specs

mnem
*toddling off to ded* :=\
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:43:10 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52678 on: March 18, 2020, 07:43:53 am »
Cheap BIN Spaghetti in the USA eBay auction: #264665248874

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52679 on: March 18, 2020, 08:30:38 am »
Bean, the shameless .... throwing out the TEA burley. 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52680 on: March 18, 2020, 08:36:19 am »
More like 10 day old Chum loaded with prawn heads the a quality Burley  ;)

Surprisingly cheap given the usual price VTVM's tend to go for and it is more rare than some of the usual suspects.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52681 on: March 18, 2020, 08:45:49 am »
Never heard of Feiler Engineering which is just as well. Even for point-to-point wiring that's a freaking rat's nest. Looks like it was thrown together by a 10 year old.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52682 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:01 am »
More "pandemic" fallout.....

The local grocery stores typically open everyday at 6 AM. One of them will institute a policy on Thursday where from 6 AM to 7:30 AM the only customers allowed in the store have to be 60+ years old. Their reasoning is that this is the group who are at most risk therefore the restriction will result in less "social interaction".

So far the store I do biz with hasn't done something similar. I typically do my shopping right after they open at 6 AM and there aren't many people in the store anyway.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52683 on: March 18, 2020, 09:19:38 am »
Yeah they started doing that here as well. Pulled kids out today. Two of us with symptoms. Probably just a shit cold but we'll see  :-DD. Got ~14 days of food in now so should be good.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52684 on: March 18, 2020, 09:20:52 am »
Yeah they started doing that here as well. Pulled kids out today. Two of us with symptoms. Probably just a shit cold but we'll see  :-DD. Got ~14 days of food in now so should be good.

Oh crap....hope it is just a cold.  :o

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52685 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:34 am »
Not fussed either way. I'm not in a high risk group myself. Better if I get it before the healthcare system shits a brick here worst case.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52686 on: March 18, 2020, 09:27:19 am »
Yea, these are some of the restrictions/closings so far....

Schools closed until at least April 1st
College campuses closed
Restaurants take out or drive up only
Movie theaters closed
Many gov offices closed or restricted access
No meetings of 10 or more 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52687 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:36 am »
Not fussed either way. I'm not in a high risk group myself. Better if I get it before the healthcare system shits a brick here worst case.

Supposedly I'm "high risk" due to 65+ and diabetes. But I hate people anyway so I limit contact as a normal course of my day.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52688 on: March 18, 2020, 09:34:57 am »
Wise move. I'm with you there  :-DD

My record back in 1999 was not actually interacting with a human for 2 months  :-DD

Yea, these are some of the restrictions/closings so far....

Schools closed until at least April 1st
College campuses closed
Restaurants take out or drive up only
Movie theaters closed
Many gov offices closed or restricted access
No meetings of 10 or more 

Yeah similar here. It's a "soft shutdown" though which relies on voluntary measures. I imagine that's going to be escalated soon.  Uber Eats and McDonalds are still open for delivery / drive through should we get bored of Armageddon food  :-DD

Honestly this could be this age's eye opener. Hopefully it'll change people's perception of their security a little bit.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52689 on: March 18, 2020, 09:52:36 am »
Oh shit bd, got fingers crossed for ya's.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #52690 on: March 18, 2020, 09:54:58 am »
Yes, I know, I'm late (about a day or so) but anyway...   :-DD

@bd139:
Keep my fingers crossed as well.  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, beanflying, AVGresponding

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52691 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:08 am »
Three weeks of food tucked away and the only likely shortages will be Milk in a few weeks and I will need to raid the House TP unless the nationwide diarrhea clears up  :palm:

After mixing with the great unwashed in person for the first time in two weeks a Third tall medicinal G&T is in order ;)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #52692 on: March 18, 2020, 10:38:25 am »
Some comments I have heard / read re corona virus
Very often ass'd with a temp >37.5C
More sore throat, dry cough than runny nose-wet chest
Worse if you are older, co-morbidities
Worse if blood group A
Worse if you take ibuprofen ( paracetamol /phenacetin is fine)
Interquartile period from transmission to symptoms is 2-7 days
FYI
Rob
Main source is UpToDate
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52693 on: March 18, 2020, 10:40:31 am »

Hope it is just a sniffle but it is a good excuse to avoid the world at large if you can.

I have been trying to convince my Mother to not go to a couple of regular social things involving closed rooms and several hours of close contact is so far proving challenging because 'it isn't here yet'. Permanent low dose Chemo so her immune system is more or less toast....  |O

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #52694 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:24 am »
Cheap BIN Spaghetti in the USA eBay auction: #264665248874

That was hairier than most. I'm saving myself for a 410b. Or 410c. Depends what I can get, either way they'll get company. The c would sit nicely besides the 427a (hi, bd139!) and the b model would snuggle up with the 428b.

Just as I'd gotten my eyes open on 7.5-digit Flukes, a 8606a shows up locally. 125€ish starter bid, plus shipping. Missing the resistance option, though.  I really should focus on the DE-5000.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52695 on: March 18, 2020, 11:13:46 am »

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52696 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:53 am »
Just as I'd gotten my eyes open on 7.5-digit Flukes, a 8606a shows up locally. 125€ish starter bid, plus shipping. Missing the resistance option, though.  I really should focus on the DE-5000.

I promise not to snipe it out from under you, but where do you find used test equipment for sale here in Sweden?
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52697 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:28 am »
No, not the robrenz video, I'm not that good.

How come I never saw his videos before!  :palm:

Roberenz is an amazing artist  :clap:

Thanks for that (big) tip, mansaxel. You just made my day with it.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52698 on: March 18, 2020, 11:36:00 am »

Hope it is just a sniffle but it is a good excuse to avoid the world at large if you can.

I have been trying to convince my Mother to not go to a couple of regular social things involving closed rooms and several hours of close contact is so far proving challenging because 'it isn't here yet'. Permanent low dose Chemo so her immune system is more or less toast....  |O

Definitely not a sniffle  :(. Sore dry throat and nasty cough. It's productive though which is probably good. Temp still good. Figure it hasn't kicked off properly yet.

Same situation with my mother. She is mostly self-sufficient, lives on her own and is unsociable as me though which is a good thing  :-DD. I wish you both luck in the coming weeks.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52699 on: March 18, 2020, 11:40:06 am »
So it was you, your the reason why I can't get anything, you grabbed it all. Just spent over an hour queuing to pay for 4 packs of chicken breasts, 3 bottles of orangeade, 1 loaf of bread, 2 tubs of butter, 1 bag of spuds, 4 custard tarts, 2 chocolate eclairs, 2 packs of crumpets, not a toilet roll in sight. Been to 2 different shops, almost 3 hours between them  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf