Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16685313 times)

Gertjan, Peter_O and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52550 on: March 17, 2020, 12:33:11 am »
Phil, how many you need? I'll buy them and ship them to you.

He has 4 at $4.95 each, so I was going to get all 4, since it's not a huge amount.

That would be awesome if you could help me out med, pm me with details of how you want to do it!

OK Phil, done. Total so far with shipping/tax is $27.27 USD. We'll figure out everything else after I get them and determine cheapest shipping method to UK. I should have them delivered by this coming Tuesday.

:scared:  wow that's absolutely fantastic med!

I really owe you a solid!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52551 on: March 17, 2020, 12:38:08 am »
@med6753, I used to have one of those myself, good meters but boy, what a boat anchor. Be prepared to surrender a reasonable amount real estate on your bench for this bad boy.  I can get almost all 3 of my 6.5digit meters on the same footprint as that takes up. Do you know what options it comes with? IIRC it has about 8 plug-in cards and I think that the AC V and AC I and the Ohms are options that may not be present and could be difficult to come across.

It's 19" rack mount size isn't it?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52552 on: March 17, 2020, 12:38:42 am »
Phil, how many you need? I'll buy them and ship them to you.

He has 4 at $4.95 each, so I was going to get all 4, since it's not a huge amount.

That would be awesome if you could help me out med, pm me with details of how you want to do it!

OK Phil, done. Total so far with shipping/tax is $27.27 USD. We'll figure out everything else after I get them and determine cheapest shipping method to UK. I should have them delivered by this coming Tuesday.

:scared:  wow that's absolutely fantastic med!

I really owe you a solid!

You're welcome Phil.  :-+ My experience with shipping items to the UK is that it generally takes less time than it does to ship something cross country here. I'm close to JFK which means it's usually on a plane to Heathrow within 2 days. But dunno what impact the cutback on flights might have.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52553 on: March 17, 2020, 12:44:53 am »
@med6753, I used to have one of those myself, good meters but boy, what a boat anchor. Be prepared to surrender a reasonable amount real estate on your bench for this bad boy.  I can get almost all 3 of my 6.5digit meters on the same footprint as that takes up. Do you know what options it comes with? IIRC it has about 8 plug-in cards and I think that the AC V and AC I and the Ohms are options that may not be present and could be difficult to come across.

Yea, I know it's big. I think I have a spot for it after I jockey some stuff around.

It has the Ohms option and the AC RMS option. Don't care about current.

If you brought that Fluke Calibrator too you could use it as a floor stand for the DMM   :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52554 on: March 17, 2020, 12:45:08 am »
You're welcome Phil.  :-+ My experience with shipping items to the UK is that it generally takes less time than it does to ship something cross country here. I'm close to JFK which means it's usually on a plane to Heathrow within 2 days. But dunno what impact the cutback on flights might have.
He's in no hurry ... so it will probably be on his bench within 3 days of you posting it to him.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52555 on: March 17, 2020, 12:48:27 am »
Yeah the entire world's airline sector is damn near shut down, makes you wonder...

In any case as I said to the vendor, I've tons of patience, and it gives me time to build a psu for it (no I'm not buying an HP scope just to plug it in   :-DD  ).

I'm leaning towards that "connecting to 0 volts" being a troll, it looks a lot like he's trying to get someone to flame him...

Yea, I know it's big. I think I have a spot for it after I jockey some stuff around.

If you brought that Fluke Calibrator too you could use it as a floor stand for the DMM (Attachment Link)   :-DD

And also wreck himself moving it!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52556 on: March 17, 2020, 12:52:32 am »
It seems like only yesterday  :-DD Next stop 7 1/2 or straight to a 3458A  >:D

@med you are well into the voltnuttery hole watching trend plots of VRefs about seals the deal  :-DD

Next step LM399 Vref for more stability then realise you cant measure its drift without 6 1/2 digits .........

I think the 2 AD584-M references I have use the LM399 but I'm not sure. And according to everything I have here to measure them they exhibit almost no drift.

For now my rabbit hole is stopping at 5.5 digits.  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52557 on: March 17, 2020, 12:52:54 am »
Yeah the entire world's airline sector is damn near shut down, makes you wonder...

In any case as I said to the vendor, I've tons of patience, and it gives me time to build a psu for it (no I'm not buying an HP scope just to plug it in   :-DD  ).

They should pack small and light so I figure shipping costs should be under $20 USD. But we'll see.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52558 on: March 17, 2020, 12:55:09 am »

@med you are well into the voltnuttery hole watching trend plots of VRefs about seals the deal  :-DD

Next step LM399 Vref for more stability then realise you cant measure its drift without 6 1/2 digits .........

I think the 2 AD584-M references I have use the LM399 but I'm not sure. And according to everything I have here to measure them they exhibit almost no drift.

You're really enjoying this, aren't you?  :P :P :-DD

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52559 on: March 17, 2020, 12:59:40 am »

Well the 8505a does 7.5digits on the 10V range. so pretty close to a full 7.5digits meter. Clearly in the voltnut realm  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52560 on: March 17, 2020, 01:11:19 am »

Maybe just a little  :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #52561 on: March 17, 2020, 01:40:54 am »

I'm leaning towards that "connecting to 0 volts" being a troll, it looks a lot like he's trying to get someone to flame him...

If you brought that Fluke Calibrator too you could use it as a floor stand for the DMM (Attachment Link)   :-DD

And also wreck himself moving it!

Oh come on ya buncha wusses, it's not THAT heavy!!

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52562 on: March 17, 2020, 01:52:44 am »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, exor, URI, Kosmic

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52563 on: March 17, 2020, 02:23:43 am »

I just bought this.  :palm: :palm: |O

I need a drink.  :P :P :-DD :-DD

And I said I would never go 6.5 digits. Somebody shoot me

These can be really good, plenty of owners on eevblog.

It can do 7.5 digits on the 10v range.

Yes, I have a few of these.  They can be a little temperamental to get in good tune, but once they are...

The following users thanked this post: johnh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52564 on: March 17, 2020, 02:35:26 am »

MORE than a little, IMHO.

But, I have to admit, that despite my declared ceiling of 5.5 digits, if something like that came up in Sydney for that sort of money, I'd be just as smitten - and so would my wallet.

At least that sort of temptation is well outside the realms of probability possibility here in Oz.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52565 on: March 17, 2020, 02:38:04 am »
Yes, I have a few of these.

That's it ... rub it in.

(I'd be in serious trouble if I lived in California)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52566 on: March 17, 2020, 03:34:28 am »
This should keep me off the streets & out of trouble for a day or three. With the authorities closing events and shops left & right due to the global COVID charlie-foxtrot, the wife is ALREADY ready to break my foot off in my own ass... All 3 of her children have been driving her batty for a week now.  :palm:

Help me out here because I haven't been keeping count. You have two children, your wife has three. Right?

I think the math here should be obvious... ;)

mnem
*thing 3*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52567 on: March 17, 2020, 03:46:28 am »
... I thought it was.    ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52568 on: March 17, 2020, 04:08:41 am »
Arrrrgh it's all Eclipse. Where's that spoon so I can gouge my own eyes out  :scared: Edit: ok not too painful. I used STM32CubeMX to generate the project template because I'm a lazy fucker and it's running with debugger attached!

(SNIP)

Trivial stuff sorted. Not scared of STM32 now. Will look at queues and interrupt handling etc another day.

Thanks mnem for the motivation on this one a few months back  :-DD

And that concludes my spam tonight. Now off to ebay to look for toys  :-+

You're welcome, my friend. I'm glad my little bit of hard-won knowledge there could help someone. :-+

I've been working with STM32Fxxx since the Bush administration; I don't know much about programming, but I DO know it is one of the "easiest to connect to" processors there is, and one of the most abuse-tolerant, mostly thanks to the protected bootloader. I'll state without reservation that if I can figure out how to connect to it and set parameters from the command line, ANYBODY can. ;)

The fact it can be set to DFU mode EITHER via command from the correct port OR by shorting pins is a lifesaver, and I have friends who've written their Flight Controller FW so that it emulates a Windows HID node!  8)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52569 on: March 17, 2020, 04:30:53 am »

MORE than a little, IMHO.

But, I have to admit, that despite my declared ceiling of 5.5 digits, if something like that came up in Sydney for that sort of money, I'd be just as smitten - and so would my wallet.

At least that sort of temptation is well outside the realms of probability possibility here in Oz.

A little HP 3478A slightly crusty but the shipping to Oz is not to bad eBay auction: #402165310223

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52570 on: March 17, 2020, 04:42:19 am »
 :palm: Would someone from Pommie TEA like to drop around and insert a High Voltage across this butchers frontal lobes  :-- https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/stuartiles/m.html?item=174198831839&hash=item288f0f3adf%3Ag%3AY18AAOSwcuNeUOLc&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52571 on: March 17, 2020, 04:48:16 am »
A little HP 3478A slightly crusty but the shipping to Oz is not to bad eBay auction: #402165310223
I think I hate you just a little bit more, now.

:palm: I've put in an offer (even though the exchange rate is crap).  :scared:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52572 on: March 17, 2020, 04:53:52 am »
I think I hate you just a little bit more, now.

:palm: I've put in an offer (even though the exchange rate is crap).  :scared:

You are welcome  :-DD >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52573 on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:26 am »
On the Bench Tonight...

Plantronics CM-310 Conference Headset Like New & NIB Fuji FinePix C10 Camera:

I should've known Murphy would come along & make me pay for riding Spec's arse about the headphone he got; today I found this ~$50 Plantronics conference headset for CAD$7. Of course I snagged it; I knew the quality would be there and when I have family present, I prefer the one-ear type anyways. The inline dongle is a PITA already; but it is light and it is hardwired so I don't have to worry about it pulling apart and related crackle/static. :-\

Windows installs it pretty much instantly with signed drivers; controls on the dongle are CALL Hang Up/Answer with green indicator LED, Mic Mute with Red LED that indicates muted, and Headset Volume that is dedicated to the headset, not to Windows audio volume. I REALLY like that. :-+

Single earphone sound quality is exactly what you'd expect from Plantronics; crisp and clear in the typical telephony voice frequency range, but very little real bass or treble. Microphone is excellent and sensitive by default; I need to poke around my junk drawer for a foam windscreen as it does pick up my breathing. The mic boom is rubberized with a bendable metal strip inside so it can be molded to suit your face; by default it fits very close against the headband just as I like. The single-sided headband is also just as you'd expect from Plantronics; easy to adjust, firm hold and "forget you have it on" comfortable.  :-+ :-+

I've tested it in the Discord settings and it seems quite decent, though the Answer/Hang Up Call button DOES NOT work as I expected; it probably needs the Plantronics UI software installed to be able to assign those buttons. One thing I DID note is that the mic has a "Roger Beep" that DOES toggle voice activation on Discord reliably; this might be a boon for when I'm M/Ting and noodling around in other tabs while visiting y'all.

Worst case, even if I can't get used to that bump-in-the-wire dongle, I'll give it to the boi to use for his French lessons on Rosetta Stone and take my Labtec mic back.  :-+ :-+ :-+

As for the Fuji Camera... ehhh, it's brand-new in box, camera still in its sealed baggie. It's at least 5 years newer than any other camera I own, and 10 MP with a proper 3x optical zoom. I figure even if I just save it to give someone who needs a camera, it's a bargain; less than $6 US. :-//

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:07:31 am by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52574 on: March 17, 2020, 07:50:44 am »
That’s the headset I use. They are very nice.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf