Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16686872 times)

factory, tggzzz, Robert763, wkb, zrq and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52450 on: March 16, 2020, 10:58:48 am »
Even that POS 485.

It is "special" or "differently abled".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #52451 on: March 16, 2020, 11:11:58 am »
Found this:

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function" --Al Barlett
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52452 on: March 16, 2020, 11:16:28 am »
Ah yes seen that. My father sent me that a few years ago now. Completely agree on his points. I think the issue is most people are hedging their participation on this against "I'm going to be dead when it's a problem".  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52453 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:41 am »
My heart sinks. 179 dispatched. Via Hermes  :-- :scared:
Lets hope and pray that it arrives safely which I'm sure it will, anyway, you're working from home now till further notice aren't you?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52454 on: March 16, 2020, 11:39:41 am »
Fingers crossed. I'll be surprised if Hermes can fuck up a Fluke. TBH our local regular driver is pretty good and reliable, just upstream you don't know about.

Yes working from home now. Everyone at the company is. I think it's a policy applied by our parent company as well so that's about 9000 people working from home suddenly. I get the feeling the infrastructure is going to bend soon. Already got problems with voice calls on slack and the inevitable problems of getting about 300 odd people using VPNs and stuff  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52455 on: March 16, 2020, 11:43:28 am »
Crikey that’s a special one  :palm:

So....after all that time/money building/testing/aligning that transceiver you toss the whole kit in the closet?  :-//

I dare not predict your next wacko move.  :-DD

Oh come on, this is nothing new is it? It's his normal cyclic behaviour. This is how bd recharges his batteries. ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52456 on: March 16, 2020, 11:47:47 am »
Found this:

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function" --Al Barlett

Other takes on that point...
https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/07/galactic-scale-energy/
https://dothemath.ucsd.edu/2011/07/can-economic-growth-last/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52457 on: March 16, 2020, 11:48:38 am »
Fingers crossed. I'll be surprised if Hermes can fuck up a Fluke. TBH our local regular driver is pretty good and reliable, just upstream you don't know about.

Yes working from home now. Everyone at the company is. I think it's a policy applied by our parent company as well so that's about 9000 people working from home suddenly. I get the feeling the infrastructure is going to bend soon. Already got problems with voice calls on slack and the inevitable problems of getting about 300 odd people using VPNs and stuff  :palm:
Yes, I think you're right, for many people, this working from home will become a permanent thing and companies will be making money from it as well. While working from home, your saving them massive amounts of energy costs, etc and I predict that many buildings will be either sold off or sub divided and let out as smaller units.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52458 on: March 16, 2020, 11:52:32 am »

So....after all that time/money building/testing/aligning that transceiver you toss the whole kit in the closet?  :-//

Yup. Turns out I like making things but get bored after that  :-DD

I should throw that effort into product development. I’ve got some ideas.
There you go, you've said that before, just after I joined this elite club of ours  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52459 on: March 16, 2020, 11:55:30 am »
@bd - I tend to agree, I got into satellite ham stuff for a while, interesting problems with antenna gain, different Doppler shifts on different frequencies for the up and down link, tracking - made 5 or so contacts, got bored so moved on to microwave stuff for a while.
EME stumped me - so I had a 'tantrum' and packed it up - I will get back to it eventually.
Currently repairing old gear some fun, some head f**k at times. If I get too annoyed I go mountain bike riding!
I do think I have a short attention span!
Rob
Sounds kind off familiar.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52460 on: March 16, 2020, 11:57:22 am »

Yes, I think you're right, for many people, this working from home will become a permanent thing and companies will be making money from it as well. While working from home, your saving them massive amounts of energy costs, etc and I predict that many buildings will be either sold off or sub divided and let out as smaller units.

It really has to be a permanent thing and something I've been a proponent of for a long time (I've worked from home 90% of the time since 2009). At the moment we burn vast amounts of energy moving people around for what is fundamentally tradition and a lack of trust. That means we then have to drag all the required supporting resources to wherever people congregate to do work. This costs more energy. In line with the other direction of this thread today, it's insane and unsustainable. Travel needs to go down and we need to invest in logistics, distributed working models and reduction of energy consumption. I think peak insanity is actually Tesla. While the direction is marginally better, we're still moving a mountain or two every day for absolutely no fucking reason at all and enabling that. Need to start fixing society rather than enabling existing behaviour with new tech.

Yup. Turns out I like making things but get bored after that  :-DD

I should throw that effort into product development. I’ve got some ideas.
There you go, you've said that before, just after I joined this elite club of ours  :-DD :-DD

Yeah and I got absolutely bloody nowhere with it  :-DD

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52461 on: March 16, 2020, 12:02:39 pm »
Even that POS 485.

It is "special" or "differently abled".

I'm going to be grossly politically incorrect and insensitive and state without a shadow of a doubt it's retarded.  :P
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #52462 on: March 16, 2020, 12:05:13 pm »

Wow, I didn't know I was in an Elite Club. I always said I never join any club that would have me as a member.  :-DD

I haven't made any ham contacts in a couple of months. I was down to just using FT8 anyway just to make long distance contacts. It just got boring. I'll still try to work a DXpedition but other than that it just sits there unused. Oh but I do talk to people on two meters still, to practice social distancing skills.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52463 on: March 16, 2020, 12:36:28 pm »

We are doing progressive rampup over here. I start on Friday  ;D

They are supposed to progressively upgrade the infra to support the load.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52464 on: March 16, 2020, 12:42:33 pm »
I object!

Proper Flukes have their rotary switch decently recessed in the middle of the casing.

Everything else is either antique and suitable only for display purposes, or deviant from respectable proportionality!

EDIT: In that case David, he can afford to buy a proper 87 instead of some lower grade 179!

The 179 is central and recessed IIRC?

My bad, some kind of random brain-fart was making me think of a 77 or something   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52465 on: March 16, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »

It really has to be a permanent thing and something I've been a proponent of for a long time (I've worked from home 90% of the time since 2009). At the moment we burn vast amounts of energy moving people around for what is fundamentally tradition and a lack of trust. That means we then have to drag all the required supporting resources to wherever people congregate to do work. This costs more energy. In line with the other direction of this thread today, it's insane and unsustainable. Travel needs to go down and we need to invest in logistics, distributed working models and reduction of energy consumption. I think peak insanity is actually Tesla. While the direction is marginally better, we're still moving a mountain or two every day for absolutely no fucking reason at all and enabling that. Need to start fixing society rather than enabling existing behaviour with new tech.

Ditto here as well, but as you rightly said, it's a matter of trust, overcome that and it becomes far easier to solve bigger global issues like global warming, as there would be naturally considerably fewer journeys being made, the abolition of rush hour traffic jams which is just possibly the largest source of pollution, and then we can all continue with our fossil fuel burning cars which for the large part would then only be used for social uses rather a means of getting to and from work.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52466 on: March 16, 2020, 12:56:04 pm »
I object!

Proper Flukes have their rotary switch decently recessed in the middle of the casing.

Everything else is either antique and suitable only for display purposes, or deviant from respectable proportionality!

EDIT: In that case David, he can afford to buy a proper 87 instead of some lower grade 179!

The 179 is central and recessed IIRC?

My bad, some kind of random brain-fart was making me think of a 77 or something   :palm:
Yep, to me a fluke with a edge operated range switch isn't a proper fluke.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52467 on: March 16, 2020, 12:56:46 pm »
[...]
 At the moment we burn vast amounts of energy moving people around for what is fundamentally tradition and a lack of trust.
[...]

There is more to it than that, though.  We are fundamentally social beings, we need to interact with other humans.  Doing so only online (directly from our brains floating in an aquarium or something, in the extreme) is not going to work...   we can definitely interact with people online (like we are doing right now) but we also need "real" interactions.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52468 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:40 pm »
Yep, to me a fluke with a edge operated range switch isn't a proper fluke.

The 8060A fanboys probably just put our names on some kind of list...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52469 on: March 16, 2020, 01:22:10 pm »
I wouldn't consider myself an 8060A Fanboy, but the first Flukes I ever used at university were side button devices and this was the time that my appreciation for the quality and accuracy of Fluke devices emerged. So although I prefer the modern rotary switch devices, I still consider the old Flukes to be great devices.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52470 on: March 16, 2020, 01:54:33 pm »
I could not care less.

Side button and rotary

Push button

Or "slap" button

It's all good.  :-+ 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139, grizewald

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52471 on: March 16, 2020, 02:08:56 pm »
Sorry, I just can't get along with those piano keys.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52472 on: March 16, 2020, 02:12:28 pm »

I haven't made any ham contacts in a couple of months. I was down to just using FT8 anyway just to make long distance contacts. It just got boring. I'll still try to work a DXpedition but other than that it just sits there unused. Oh but I do talk to people on two meters still, to practice social distancing skills.  :-DD

I gave up on 2m here. It's just people growing tomatoes or being dicks. I grow tomatoes but there's really not much to talk about. They just grow by themselves  :-DD

We are doing progressive rampup over here. I start on Friday  ;D

They are supposed to progressively upgrade the infra to support the load.

Woohoo. Similar but guess who is at the front of the queue  :--

[...]
 At the moment we burn vast amounts of energy moving people around for what is fundamentally tradition and a lack of trust.
[...]

There is more to it than that, though.  We are fundamentally social beings, we need to interact with other humans.  Doing so only online (directly from our brains floating in an aquarium or something, in the extreme) is not going to work...   we can definitely interact with people online (like we are doing right now) but we also need "real" interactions.

We did that just fine before we had machines that could jaunt across the country whenever we felt like it :)

I wouldn't consider myself an 8060A Fanboy, but the first Flukes I ever used at university were side button devices and this was the time that my appreciation for the quality and accuracy of Fluke devices emerged. So although I prefer the modern rotary switch devices, I still consider the old Flukes to be great devices.

McBryce.

They're all good!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52473 on: March 16, 2020, 02:14:43 pm »
My heart sinks. 179 dispatched. Via Hermes  :-- :scared:
That was short even by your standards. What DMM are you going to buy now?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52474 on: March 16, 2020, 02:18:07 pm »
...This is how it looks like (again crappy photo due to smartphone cam and bad light conditions):   

That's just too good! Bravo, sir.  :clap:
Thank you, I appreciate that; it was a lot of work to get to this point.    One good thing that rack brings to me is that my stack isn't really a stack anymore since I can pull a single piece of it even if it's at the bottom and I don't have to remove all other things put on it.   :-+   I can now progress faster with repairing/modifying my TE hopefully.   :)

Yes... your rack-fabbing is just fab!  :-+ :-+ :-+

I like the fact it had an actual specific objective: Elimination of type 5 JENGA. The other 4 aspects of the JENGA constellation of syndromes will require considerably more work... or judicious application of thermite.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:25:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf