Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16682959 times)

Robert763 and 77 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52400 on: March 15, 2020, 09:41:07 pm »
I caught myself looking at lathes yesterday.  :palm: While I technically do have room for one I have to assume the neighbours aren't going to appreciate the racket one makes.

mnem
 :-+

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52401 on: March 15, 2020, 09:43:06 pm »
Yeah, well... I remember when I was doing a review of one of the first SJ4000 action cams (I had been reviewing lots of FPV quadcopter stuff at the time, and TMart sent me one to review); it was a helluva camera for $65-75, but then I did some research and found that numerous websites selling the thing (I want to say I actually saw it on the SJ manufacturing website, but truthfully, I'm a little hazy on that) were linking directly to the GoPro site for their editing software.

I can see them getting a little bit testy about that. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
I don't think this had anything to do with that. They tried converting their customer base to a subscription and data mining model and turned their existing products to shit to do so. Zero patience.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #52402 on: March 15, 2020, 09:49:13 pm »

Here's the lowest tray. It is "simply" a 30x30mm 2mm strong 90° angled piece of ~50cm extruded aluminium profiles.
I made 48 of them for 24 trays all together. Each with four drill holes and sinking (? : deutsch: Senkung). Didn't like that part.

I believe you're looking for "countersunk".

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52403 on: March 15, 2020, 09:51:51 pm »
Woaa. That video isn't showing an accident but plain stupidity.    :--

I've seen an accident with a mill live, the machinist lost a finger and an eye.
I was a student apprentice there since few weeks when that happened.
As unfortunate as it was for that guy it's probably one of the most effective ways of ingraining the dangers of workshop kit into anyone. I've seen one or two near misses and one bad one. It really drives home how quickly things turn sour and that thinking twice and doing once isn't just for annoying greybeards.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52404 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52:11 pm »
Yeah, well... I remember when I was doing a review of one of the first SJ4000 action cams (I had been reviewing lots of FPV quadcopter stuff at the time, and TMart sent me one to review); it was a helluva camera for $65-75, but then I did some research and found that numerous websites selling the thing (I want to say I actually saw it on the SJ manufacturing website, but truthfully, I'm a little hazy on that) were linking directly to the GoPro site for their editing software.

I can see them getting a little bit testy about that. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
I don't think this had anything to do with that. They tried converting their customer base to a subscription and data mining model and turned their existing products to shit to do so. Zero patience.

I've never once heard of GoPro charging for ANY software aside from that which comes with their "Plus" service, which is customized image/video webhosting & backup storage.  :o

No idea what you're talking about otherwise; though I guess the current phase of data-mining paranoia knows no limits...

mnem
:-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52406 on: March 15, 2020, 09:56:05 pm »
Not right now, no. But have had, many times... and no doubt will have again. I grew up with my grand-dad, who was a master machinist during and after the war; so I have it in my DNA. ;)

mnem
*irreversibly contaminated*

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52407 on: March 15, 2020, 10:09:30 pm »
I caught myself looking at lathes yesterday.  :palm: While I technically do have room for one I have to assume the neighbours aren't going to appreciate the racket one makes.
The bible on all things lathe is here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52408 on: March 15, 2020, 10:10:17 pm »
I've never once heard of GoPro charging for ANY software aside from their "Plus" service, which is customized image/video webhosting & backup storage.  :o

No idea what you're talking about otherwise; though I guess the current phase of data-mining paranoia knows no limits...

mnem
Why do you think they started requiring an account to use their app whereas you needed none before for the same functionality? Why do they prefer the extra hassle of maintaining a backend? Their line was "We're doing this to better understand how customers use our products, identify any issues, and ultimately use that information to create better products in the future." which is pretty much the same Facebook, Google and Microsoft use. Their current privacy policy lists a long list of what data they collect and they even explicitly state "Information that we collect is considered a business asset".

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/mandatory-login-after-upgrade/td-p/15292
https://gopro.com/en/nl/legal/privacy-policy

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52409 on: March 15, 2020, 10:12:07 pm »
Here my simple (but quite effective) solution for my mill - after hex-wrench was flying over my head...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52410 on: March 15, 2020, 10:28:20 pm »
Not right now, no. But have had, many times... and no doubt will have again. I grew up with my grand-dad, who was a master machinist during and after the war; so I have it in my DNA. ;)

mnem
*irreversibly contaminated*
I've had access to someone else's lathe for a long time which is probably one of the more convenient arrangements. That's unfortunately come to an end a while ago and now I find myself looking at the smaller models occasionally. I think there are a few other things I'd get into first though.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52411 on: March 15, 2020, 11:32:17 pm »
I've never once heard of GoPro charging for ANY software aside from their "Plus" service, which is customized image/video webhosting & backup storage.  :o

mnem
Why do you think they started requiring an account to use their app whereas you needed none before for the same functionality? Why do they prefer the extra hassle of maintaining a backend? Their line was "We're doing this to better understand how customers use our products, identify any issues, and ultimately use that information to create better products in the future." which is pretty much the same Facebook, Google and Microsoft use. Their current privacy policy lists a long list of what data they collect and they even explicitly state "Information that we collect is considered a business asset".

https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Apps-for-Mobile/mandatory-login-after-upgrade/td-p/15292
https://gopro.com/en/nl/legal/privacy-policy

Yup... paranoia. I just read the TOS.

They don't charge for the software, and aside from mobile versions, they collect the same data I've agreed to on a dozen other bits of software. Basically, they collect data about your PC and ISP at the time you register, and user data aimed at selling you a new GoPro. They collect metadata from your files, which if your GoPro has internet connectivity, may mean they may be able to tell where you took the pics. If you upload to their websharing services, they claim the same rights to that content as any other such service provider; which they'd be fools NOT TO.  :-//

The desktop software doesn't collect anything that's in the files; only the metadata which it needs to work with the file. I don't care if they have that, and my Windoze Privacy settings don't allow it to collect anything not directly related to the software.

Obviously they COULD be lying about what their webservices do; but its a lot harder to lie about what the desktop software does, especially if you take even the most basic steps to lock your Privacy down.

They're obviously not saints; they are a Corporation after all. But they're not the Aunty-Christ, either.

mnem
*SMH*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52412 on: March 15, 2020, 11:43:50 pm »
"snip"
A 189 would be rather nice to add to the other end of the line though so I will indeed keep eyes peeled for one  :-+. Although from an electronics perspective as I'm diving back into that hard (fuck ham radio - I'm done) I'll probably look at a 6.5 digit bench DMM as an alternative. Probably 34401A or something newer if I can run to it later in the year. Still need to buy a bike and a shit load of camping gear this year still so don't want to dent that out of the budget yet.
Give it a couple of months and you'll back onto the K2 again hard and off the electronics, you're not fooling anybody, we all know that you love dabbling with radio looking for that elusive 1 new contact a night.  >:D :-+

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52413 on: March 16, 2020, 12:11:40 am »
"snip"
A 189 would be rather nice to add to the other end of the line though so I will indeed keep eyes peeled for one  :-+. Although from an electronics perspective as I'm diving back into that hard (fuck ham radio - I'm done) I'll probably look at a 6.5 digit bench DMM as an alternative. Probably 34401A or something newer if I can run to it later in the year. Still need to buy a bike and a shit load of camping gear this year still so don't want to dent that out of the budget yet.
Give it a couple of months and you'll back onto the K2 again hard and off the electronics, you're not fooling anybody, we all know that you love dabbling with radio looking for that elusive 1 new contact a night.  >:D :-+

I think it comes down to this little thought exercise. Ask yourself “what do I like about this?”. If the answer is “I don’t know” then stop doing it. I believe that it has become habitual like a crack addiction and it is costing time especially at the moment when it’s quite difficult to get a CW contact due to the bloody awful conditions. Thus the antenna came down this afternoon and the K2 is packed away. I’ll try again when things improve both from a sunspot perspective and a personal priorities perspective. Time is somewhat more precious when you don’t have a lot which is now (thanks to new job) so I’m picking some small projects which have long gaps (mostly waiting for JLCPCB/LCSC) to amuse me instead I think.

Plus I need some time to plan a suitable mid life crisis  :-DD

Edit: also I spend about 4 hours on the bloody phone every day so coming home and communicating via some interactive method is not desirable.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:16:34 am by bd139 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52414 on: March 16, 2020, 12:25:08 am »
My but we were a chatty lot last over the last few hours. Getting cabin fever already from reduced direct person to person contact  :-DD

On the subject of Advanced Care directives even as just over the 50 mark I must get one done as apart from Mum there is no close relative I want in particular I want to control the keys for myself. So I have talked to a couple of good mates and they have agreed to switch off the lights should it be needed, just need to arrange the paperwork.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52415 on: March 16, 2020, 12:51:38 am »

They don't charge for the software, and aside from mobile versions, they collect the same data I've agreed to on a dozen other bits of software. Basically, they collect data about your PC and ISP at the time you register, and user data aimed at selling you a new GoPro. They collect metadata from your files, which if your GoPro has internet connectivity, may mean they may be able to tell where you took the pics. If you upload to their websharing services, they claim the same rights to that content as any other such service provider; which they'd be fools NOT TO.  :-//

The desktop software doesn't collect anything that's in the files; only the metadata which it needs to work with the file. I don't care if they have that, and my Windoze Privacy settings don't allow it to collect anything not directly related to the software.

Obviously they COULD be lying about what their webservices do; but its a lot harder to lie about what the desktop software does, especially if you take even the most basic steps to lock your Privacy down.

They're obviously not saints; they are a Corporation after all. But they're not the Aunty-Christ, either.

mnem
*SMH*
"they collect the same data I've agreed to on a dozen other bits of software" doesn't mean people are paranoid, it just means being boned from several ends has become the standard. Almost all large corporations readily sell to and share data with third parties and GoPro is no exception. Take that as a positive or negative. Regardless it's not the data mining I'm most concerned about. It's needing to sign in to an app when you want to frame a shot out in the sticks where there's no internet. That's just intentionally breaking your product.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:54:16 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52416 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:21 am »

I don't think planning is involved, more stumbling blindly, or plunging recklessly.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52417 on: March 16, 2020, 01:24:57 am »
"snip"

I think it comes down to this little thought exercise. Ask yourself “what do I like about this?”. If the answer is “I don’t know” then stop doing it. I believe that it has become habitual like a crack addiction and it is costing time especially at the moment when it’s quite difficult to get a CW contact due to the bloody awful conditions. Thus the antenna came down this afternoon and the K2 is packed away. I’ll try again when things improve both from a sunspot perspective and a personal priorities perspective. Time is somewhat more precious when you don’t have a lot which is now (thanks to new job) so I’m picking some small projects which have long gaps (mostly waiting for JLCPCB/LCSC) to amuse me instead I think.

Edit: also I spend about 4 hours on the bloody phone every day so coming home and communicating via some interactive method is not desirable.
Thats alright, we're all fine and dandy and cool with it, we know what makes bd tick by now, and we wouldn't want it any other way, you have RF in your blood, its just one of your passions.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52418 on: March 16, 2020, 01:28:30 am »
"snip"

Perfect solution HamCycle camping with the Kids  ;D https://wd8rif.com/bicycle-mobile.htm

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52419 on: March 16, 2020, 02:35:21 am »

Some people buy boats, motorcycles and cheap women when they hit their mid life crisis. Yours entails a bicycle and Rigol AWG. You're fine.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #52420 on: March 16, 2020, 02:36:48 am »
Perfect solution HamCycle camping with the Kids  ;D https://wd8rif.com/bicycle-mobile.htm

I'm not sure if I would call that stylish ... or tragic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52421 on: March 16, 2020, 02:37:37 am »

mnem
*SMH*
"they collect the same data I've agreed to on a dozen other bits of software" doesn't mean people are paranoid, it just means being boned from several ends has become the standard. Almost all large corporations readily sell to and share data with third parties and GoPro is no exception. Take that as a positive or negative. Regardless it's not the data mining I'm most concerned about. It's needing to sign in to an app when you want to frame a shot out in the sticks where there's no internet. That's just intentionally breaking your product.

If you read and agree to their terms and it's an informed decision, it's a choice. If you read their terms and can't understand and hate them, or if you don't bother and just hate them for having terms, it's paranoia.

I never had to do any such thing with my GoPro Session; it just worked. I never wanted their software for anything except offline video editing; if you're using their studio for pics (actually, if you're using a GoPro for pics) you're wasting your time. The WiFi interface was never worth the hassle in real-time; trying to "frame a subject" within the fisheye effect of a GoPro is like trying to kill a swarm of bees with a pistol.  :palm:

I agree with having to sign in to the mobile app being BS; it never had that when I used it, and while smartphones are getting better about privacy and security, they're still just a incessant data leak in your pocket. With the app for my Session the only thing you signed into was your social media, which I cared fuck all about.

...Plus I need some time to plan a suitable mid life crisis  :-DD

So... you wanna get a sports car and look for some sweet young thang to distract you from the Reaper rattling his scythe at you; we dig it. If you're trying to tell us you're gonna be scarce in here, well... just don't let the screen door hit ya on yer way out!   ;)

mnem
Also, we expect pictures. And detailed teardowns!!! :-DD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:44:00 am by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #52422 on: March 16, 2020, 02:43:54 am »
Seven pages?  Seven?  In twenty-four hours?

Damn, don't you all have anything better to do?  >:D

I clearly don't, since I just went and read every single post on 'em.

I spent the day massaging a spreadsheet and figuring out how to stuff it into a mobile radio I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe how many hours something like that can absorb.

Assuming the world doesn't come to an end in the next month, the racing season starts at the end of May and I'm doing at least four "pack in" support gigs. Putting together a new package so I can carry both the required 2M/70CM rig and HF QRP gear.
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52423 on: March 16, 2020, 02:45:50 am »
tzzzzt!!!

mnem
that is all.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #52424 on: March 16, 2020, 02:46:14 am »

So... you wanna get a sports car and look for some sweet young thang to distract you from the Reaper rattling his scythe at you; we dig it. If you're trying to tell us you're gonna be scarce in here, well... just don't let the screen door hit ya on yer way out!   ;)

mnem
Also, we expect pictures. And detailed teardowns!!! :-DD

been there. done that. wasn't the stupidest thing i've ever done but it was certainly the most expensive.

specialization is for insects.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf