Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16682904 times)

jemotrain, Robert763, elevendroids and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52375 on: March 15, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »
Nope. New boxed :)
:o
Selling the Rigol to fund it ?

Noooo. There are tonnes of unused surplus ones around at the moment.

I object!

Proper Flukes have their rotary switch decently recessed in the middle of the casing.

Everything else is either antique and suitable only for display purposes, or deviant from respectable proportionality!

EDIT: In that case David, he can afford to buy a proper 87 instead of some lower grade 179!

Hahaha. I've got a proper 87 already  8)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52376 on: March 15, 2020, 08:04:18 pm »
Ok so bagged it. New 179 on the way for 46% of the price RS quoted  8)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52377 on: March 15, 2020, 08:05:16 pm »

So, normal manufacturers RRP then...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52378 on: March 15, 2020, 08:05:33 pm »
@URI  *sighs* I wish I had the space for a big 19" rack cabinet. They are easy to come by, just not easy to house   :'(

Indeed, I benefit from ~3m high ceilings and my wife allowing me to use this space.   :-+

On the other hand: I built this rack from scratch with custom cut item profiles to minimize the space the rack needs.
My bench is 1.6m wide and the rack can be 60cm deep. (My rack is 1.64m wide though.)
A standard rack would not have fit these specifications well; standard racks are a lot wider than mine; typically the are built vertically and not horizontally like mine.

I would like a standard 19" rack on the floor standing upright also but for that I don't have the space either.   :'(
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52379 on: March 15, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »
Right DMM requirements are down. Choice is narrowed to the Fluke 179 by the looks. Has 100uV/10uA resolution which is fine for a second DMM (i rarely if ever do measurements that low anyway), autohold, True RMS good enough for line usage,  backlight that isn't shite, frequency measurement bandwidth fine for audio, thermocouple input, basic 0.09% + 2 count accuracy in DCV. 2 minutes backlight timeout.

Any objections?  :-DD

Edit: Honestly some of the choice was influenced by the fact it's the direct successor of the Fluke 77 I nicked off my father and wore out years ago  :-DD
It's essentially an 87V light. It's 6000 count but in all reality that's rarely an issue. The backlight on newer iterations is actually quite nice and doesn't turn off without you asking. I like the meters. It does do the AC current thing I think you disliked in the 87V.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52380 on: March 15, 2020, 08:11:34 pm »
After evaluating it further I think the AC current thing is a safety thing and I should probably live with it. If you've got it in circuit and it's not reading something when you switch to the range, the penalty of it being misidentified as no current being present is probably higher with AC current than DC current so it makes sense to have that as the default. Safety first!

Edit: essential gif:

Edit: fuck giphy.  :--
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:14:31 pm by bd139 »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52381 on: March 15, 2020, 08:12:51 pm »
I object!

Proper Flukes have their rotary switch decently recessed in the middle of the casing.

Everything else is either antique and suitable only for display purposes, or deviant from respectable proportionality!

EDIT: In that case David, he can afford to buy a proper 87 instead of some lower grade 179!

I like my antique meters, I've rescued two AVO's this week, a British Rail heavy duty analogue for a fiver locally and one of those new-fangled digital ones (complete with dead Weston cell) from ePay.

David
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:16:32 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52382 on: March 15, 2020, 08:18:51 pm »
On the Bench This Afternoon: GoPro Hero 2014 Edition
(SNIP)
I'm still vacillating over whether to allow GoPro software on ANY PC I own long enough to update the FW; the possibility of 1080P/60FPS does make me think.

mnem
*lunch-dwagon*
The Hero+ or LCD versions were more interesting offering but this was the time oriental competition really got into stride. I don't think GoPro ever was the same since. Regardless it's a good find for 15 Canapesos. Looks like you're hard at work filling the new house up with thrift store junk. I mean treasures.  ;D

Guilty as charged. It's as much a matter of boredom as anything, I'm afraid.  :-\

I actually liked my Session as a camera; it was working with GoPro Studio that had me pulling my hair out. Generally, it assumed you wanted the all the "Jackass Video" features turned on, and kept trying to MAKE me do image stabilization in post. It's fucking FPV flight video! It's SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!!!  |O

At the time I tried to find something a little more user friendly than AVIDeMux for editing that would still work with their MP4s directly; I didn't fully understand H.264 video encapsulation. When the Session bricked, I gladly went back to my old version of Adobe Premiere to work with the H.264 video off the Yi. :-//

Have you used GoPro Studio lately? Is it worth infecting my PC with today...? :o

mnem
"It's sortof like deliberately beating your knee with a monkey wrench 'cuz it feels so good when you stop'."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52383 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19:59 pm »
I object!

I like my antique meters, I've rescued two AVO's this week, a British Rail heavy duty analogue for a fiver locally and one of those new-fangled digital ones (complete with dead Weston cell) from ePay.

David

I've been tempted with the digital ones a couple of times "just to see" but never got around to it. Feel free to share more pictures etc to increase my temptation  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52384 on: March 15, 2020, 08:24:58 pm »
Right DMM requirements are down. Choice is narrowed to the Fluke 179 by the looks. Has 100uV/10uA resolution which is fine for a second DMM (i rarely if ever do measurements that low anyway), autohold, True RMS good enough for line usage,  backlight that isn't shite, frequency measurement bandwidth fine for audio, thermocouple input, basic 0.09% + 2 count accuracy in DCV. 2 minutes backlight timeout.

Any objections?  :-DD

Edit: Honestly some of the choice was influenced by the fact it's the direct successor of the Fluke 77 I nicked off my father and wore out years ago  :-DD

Step up to a 189... you'll NOT regret it. It's like the 87 grew up & went to college, then came back an adult.  :-DD

mnem
And then you can have a whole passel of cheap little Brymens for the offspring...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52385 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:54 pm »

Shame, that I wasn't quick enough to lodge my vote for the 189:-[ I shopped the 179 HARD before I decided on the 189/87-IV. I felt it was a step DOWN from my 87 Mk1.   :-\

mnem
totally pants.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:16:34 pm by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52386 on: March 15, 2020, 08:35:20 pm »
Welcome to Probulator Club! Remember the first rule of Probulator Club... You MUST TALK ABOUT Probulator Club!  :-DD

Hehe when I showed my wife my new high voltage probe, she couldn't stop laughing and she asked WTF I'm going to do with that.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52387 on: March 15, 2020, 08:48:59 pm »

Shame, that.  :-[ I shopped the 179 HARD before I decided on the 189/87-IV. I felt it was a step DOWN from my 87 Mk1.   :-\

mnem
totally pants.

It is a step down intentionally here. The "87 mk1" is the daily driver for electronics work TBH but I'm mostly running that and a BM22s at the moment. The BM22s is totally 100% impractical for anything other than basic diagnostics stuff as the thing has hard wired leads on it so you can't install clip leads. Plus the 87 is an old version pre CAT rating. The really high level specification for this was to buy a decent CAT III (or IV!) rated meter that can be used for domestic mains, commercial mains (datacentre) occasionally and secondary electronics stuff which is up to date and hasn't had any hooky repairs done to it like my 87 :)

A 189 would be rather nice to add to the other end of the line though so I will indeed keep eyes peeled for one  :-+. Although from an electronics perspective as I'm diving back into that hard (fuck ham radio - I'm done) I'll probably look at a 6.5 digit bench DMM as an alternative. Probably 34401A or something newer if I can run to it later in the year. Still need to buy a bike and a shit load of camping gear this year still so don't want to dent that out of the budget yet.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52388 on: March 15, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
Guilty as charged. It's as much a matter of boredom as anything, I'm afraid.  :-\

I actually liked my Session as a camera; it was working with GoPro Studio that had me pulling my hair out. Generally, it assumed you wanted the all the "Jackass Video" features turned on, and kept trying to MAKE me do image stabilization in post. It's fucking FPV flight video! It's SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!!!  |O

At the time I tried to find something a little more user friendly than AVIDeMux for editing that would still work with their MP4s directly; I didn't fully understand H.264 video encapsulation. When the Session bricked, I gladly went back to my old version of Adobe Premiere to work with the H.264 video off the Yi. :-//

Have you used GoPro Studio lately? Is it worth infecting my PC with today...? :o

mnem
"It's sortof like deliberately beating your knee with a monkey wrench 'cuz it feels so good when you stop'."
I dropped the GoPro software like a coughing pedestrian when they introduced the need to sign up to use basic offline functionality. If that's your company's response to oriental competition you deserve to be left behind. I have zero patience with companies pulling stunts like those.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52389 on: March 15, 2020, 08:57:52 pm »
It is a step down intentionally here. The "87 mk1" is the daily driver for electronics work TBH but I'm mostly running that and a BM22s at the moment. The BM22s is totally 100% impractical for anything other than basic diagnostics stuff as the thing has hard wired leads on it so you can't install clip leads. Plus the 87 is an old version pre CAT rating. The really high level specification for this was to buy a decent CAT III (or IV!) rated meter that can be used for domestic mains, commercial mains (datacentre) occasionally and secondary electronics stuff which is up to date and hasn't had any hooky repairs done to it like my 87 :)

A 189 would be rather nice to add to the other end of the line though so I will indeed keep eyes peeled for one  :-+. Although from an electronics perspective as I'm diving back into that hard (fuck ham radio - I'm done) I'll probably look at a 6.5 digit bench DMM as an alternative. Probably 34401A or something newer if I can run to it later in the year. Still need to buy a bike and a shit load of camping gear this year still so don't want to dent that out of the budget yet.
I'd look at the DMM6500 for a 6.5 digit. They're not that much more expensive than a good condition older meter with a fresh cal and they're ridiculously capable machines.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52390 on: March 15, 2020, 08:58:28 pm »
I object!

David

I've been tempted with the digital ones a couple of times "just to see" but never got around to it. Feel free to share more pictures etc to increase my temptation  :-DD

Will do, that was a quick picture of the Muirhead Weston cell I took yesterday after checking it, sadly it's measuring at 60mV, AVO clearly forgot to put another do not tilt sticker on the outside of the case.  :--

BTW you'll be less tempted by one when you find out it's nearly twice the size of a HP 3440A, chock full of dodgy old axial Mullard/Phillips capacitors & those awful blue Welwyn resistors that drift high in value. Also service manuals are complete un-obtainium, in fact I can't even find another on the Web.

Did I mention I this item of Hazmat was delivered to the local Sainsburys (Agros collection service) to sneak into the TE collection without anyone seeing.  >:D

David
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:11:52 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52391 on: March 15, 2020, 09:04:12 pm »
I object!

The 179 is central and recessed IIRC?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52392 on: March 15, 2020, 09:05:15 pm »
It is indeed.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52393 on: March 15, 2020, 09:14:24 pm »
Welcome to Probulator Club! Remember the first rule of Probulator Club... You MUST TALK ABOUT Probulator Club!  :-DD
Hehe when I showed my wife my new high voltage probe, she couldn't stop laughing and she asked WTF I'm going to do with that.  ;D

Yeah, but in her defense... that really IS the only sane response upon seeing one of those for the first time.  :-DD

You totally get that "comic book villain mad scientist" feeling like it has to be a movie prop or some such thing...  ;)

mnem

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52394 on: March 15, 2020, 09:16:34 pm »
I caught myself looking at lathes yesterday.  :palm: While I technically do have room for one I have to assume the neighbours aren't going to appreciate the racket one makes.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52395 on: March 15, 2020, 09:17:26 pm »
I caught myself looking at lathes yesterday.  :palm: While I technically do have room for one I have to assume the neighbours aren't going to appreciate the racket one makes.

Just google "lathe accident". That'll clear the impulses up for a few months at least  :-DD

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52396 on: March 15, 2020, 09:20:35 pm »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52397 on: March 15, 2020, 09:22:23 pm »
Just google "lathe accident". That'll clear the impulses up for a few months at least  :-DD
May I counter with hydraulic or high pressure injection injury? The same applies to pretty much all power tools and workshop equipment. If it's worth having there are very nasty ways of hurting yourself with it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52398 on: March 15, 2020, 09:35:12 pm »

mnem
I dropped the GoPro software like a coughing pedestrian when they introduced the need to sign up to use basic offline functionality. If that's your company's response to oriental competition you deserve to be left behind. I have zero patience with companies pulling stunts like those.

Yeah, well... I remember when I was doing a review of one of the first SJ4000 action cams (I had been reviewing lots of FPV quadcopter stuff at the time, and TMart sent me one to review); it was a helluva camera for $65-75, but then I did some research and found that numerous websites selling the thing (I want to say I actually saw it on the SJ manufacturing website, but truthfully, I'm a little hazy on that) were linking directly to the GoPro site for their editing software.

I can see them getting a little bit testy about that.   ;)
mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:45:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52399 on: March 15, 2020, 09:37:15 pm »
May I counter with hydraulic or high pressure injection injury? The same applies to pretty much all power tools and workshop equipment. If it's worth having there are very nasty ways of hurting yourself with it.

Woaa. That video isn't showing an accident but plain stupidity.    :--

I've seen an accident with a mill live, the machinist lost a finger and an eye.
I was a student apprentice there since few weeks when that happened.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf