Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16689052 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52125 on: March 13, 2020, 10:13:26 pm »
"Frau Blucher!!!" *whinneys of terrified horses in the distance*

Rest in peace Marty, rest in peace.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52126 on: March 13, 2020, 10:15:08 pm »
Ummm.... this is a known dealio with FLUKE. Has been since I was knee-high to a bat-squirrel. The only non-accessory new parts you can get for them are disco parts sold to associate vendors or clone parts from overseas.

mnem
:-//
I can get the parts from them. The issue is the repair I don't need.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52127 on: March 13, 2020, 10:41:09 pm »
   Doubt you got this 48kg monstrosity beat, though  ;D

Maybe not power-wise (5.82KW), but def weight/displacement wise...

You have to wonder about the life choices this poor forklift charger must have made; to wind up on a pallet in the back-back corner of a Thrift Shop in the frozen North, selling its body for cheap call-girl prices...

mnem

Where's Bender when a down-on-her-luck JuiceBox needs him...?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:00:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52128 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:22 pm »

I asked Fluke for a quote on some parts of a less common but currently sold Fluke device. They told me they don't sell spares but I should ship the device to them for repair instead. They don't have the parts but will happily charge me for installing said parts for me at undoubtedly a healhy Fortive premium. :palm:
Ummm.... this is a known dealio with FLUKE. Has been since I was knee-high to a bat-squirrel. The only non-accessory new parts you can get for them are disco parts sold to associate vendors or clone parts from overseas.

mnem
:-//
I can get the parts from them. The issue is the repair I don't need.

mnem
*backs slowly towards the door*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52129 on: March 13, 2020, 10:57:12 pm »

That's Eyegore.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52130 on: March 13, 2020, 11:03:46 pm »
Played by Marty Feldman; one of the greats of "slightly off" comedy. Passed much too young; almost 2 4 decades ago now.

mnem
*sighs and  :o just for old times' sake*
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:31:32 am by mnementh »

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #52131 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:10 pm »

That's Eyegore.

Who's brain did you bring me?

Abby ... something.

Abby Normal, I think.

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52132 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:39 pm »
Played by Marty Feldman; one of the greats of "slightly off" comedy. Passed much too young; almost 2 decades ago now.

Ahem. 4 decades ago.

That's further away than the second half of this century.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52133 on: March 13, 2020, 11:38:15 pm »

Yes well a diff probe might be the preferred solution and certainly offers a wider use case however you can buy a few 100:1 probes for the cost of just one differential probe.

And a 100:1 probe still is a short circuit waiting to happen.  I'm using my ScopeMeter which of course is equivalent to a diff probe, and built to take mains probing, but if I did not have that, I'd look really hard into getting a proper diff one.

diff plugins and 2 regular probes with the grounds pulled off is another option
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52134 on: March 14, 2020, 12:34:05 am »
I asked Fluke for a quote on some parts of a less common but currently sold Fluke device. They told me they don't sell spares but I should ship the device to them for repair instead. They don't have the parts but will happily charge me for installing said parts for me at undoubtedly a healhy Fortive premium. :palm:
What about your right to repair option? I hate this fixed repair's thing, thats the same Apple do with their products, even though it has been proven that third party repairs or other electronics engineers can fix them if they have access to the service manuals and the parts.  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52135 on: March 14, 2020, 12:34:45 am »
Played by Marty Feldman; one of the greats of "slightly off" comedy. Passed much too young; almost 2 decades ago now.

mnem
*sighs and  :o just for old times' sake*
Agreed, he was so funny.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52136 on: March 14, 2020, 12:37:33 am »
One of my favorites...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52137 on: March 14, 2020, 12:55:51 am »
What about your right to repair option? I hate this fixed repair's thing, thats the same Apple do with their products, even though it has been proven that third party repairs or other electronics engineers can fix them if they have access to the service manuals and the parts.  :rant:
I don't think the right to repair exists yet and I don't get the feeling Fortive gives a hoot.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52138 on: March 14, 2020, 12:57:03 am »
Diff plugin? You mean math function?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52139 on: March 14, 2020, 01:18:16 am »
This is one of my favourite Marty Feldman sketches.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52140 on: March 14, 2020, 02:31:00 am »
Played by Marty Feldman; one of the greats of "slightly off" comedy. Passed much too young; almost 2 4 decades ago now.

Ahem. 4 decades ago.

That's further away than the second half of this century.

Shit; 1982. I was thinking it was early 2000s... :palm:

mnem
holy fuck I'm old...  |O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52141 on: March 14, 2020, 02:48:30 am »

I  dunno... I can see them not wanting to support every reddity/Furkbook/yoobToob fuckwit who wants to dick around inside their CAT III or higher rated meters that they have certified based on specific design and service procedures. This is NOT consumer electronics that under normal use at worst can catch fire if you fix something wrong inside. It is industrial service & test equipment; if you fix something wrong inside of it, under normal use it can very fucking easily electrocute and KILL the user.

I really don't have a problem with them refusing to sell parts to the end-user that they have no idea if you're Tim Taylor or Shahriar Shahramian or something in between, like Dave maybe...?  :-//

mnem
"Dave's not here, ma-a-a-an..."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52142 on: March 14, 2020, 03:07:00 am »

mnem
"Buhh-worrk!!!"

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52143 on: March 14, 2020, 05:12:45 am »

I  dunno... I can see them not wanting to support every reddity/Furkbook/yoobToob fuckwit who wants to dick around inside their CAT III or higher rated meters that they have certified based on specific design and service procedures. This is NOT consumer electronics that under normal use at worst can catch fire if you fix something wrong inside. It is industrial service & test equipment; if you fix something wrong inside of it, under normal use it can very fucking easily electrocute and KILL the user.

I really don't have a problem with them refusing to sell parts to the end-user that they have no idea if you're Tim Taylor or Shahriar Shahramian or something in between, like Dave maybe...?  :-//

mnem
"Dave's not here, ma-a-a-an..."

The local Fluke distributor who's phone lines I have only darkened once, quoted me P&A + delivery on an LCD for the Fluke 725 I have without asking who. what or where I was. Sounds like your local distributor needs a foot inserted somewhere  ::)

Keeping it 'normal' such as I or my day to day life is normal. Today I deflowered a bench  >:D

Sacrificial material did what it was supposed to and all the bits came out square when dry fitted ready for glue tomorrow. 4pm Saturday so time for a Beer or maybe even two  :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52144 on: March 14, 2020, 06:29:57 am »
Diff plugin? You mean math function?

nope

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52145 on: March 14, 2020, 08:59:44 am »

Yes well a diff probe might be the preferred solution and certainly offers a wider use case however you can buy a few 100:1 probes for the cost of just one differential probe.

And a 100:1 probe still is a short circuit waiting to happen.  I'm using my ScopeMeter which of course is equivalent to a diff probe, and built to take mains probing, but if I did not have that, I'd look really hard into getting a proper diff one.

Iff you can guarantee the common mode voltage specs can't be exceeded, of course.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #52146 on: March 14, 2020, 09:01:37 am »
12 hours 'till Discord !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #52147 on: March 14, 2020, 09:01:58 am »
SNAP  :-DD

Discord Countdown T-12 Hours be there or expect a good natured verbal and or typewritten flogging with a wet Lettuce leaf for your absence  ;D

https://discordapp.com/channels/658020677533827101/662871717667930142
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52148 on: March 14, 2020, 09:12:17 am »
SNAP  :-DD

Discord Countdown T-12 Hours be there or expect a good natured verbal and or typewritten flogging with a wet Lettuce leaf for your absence  ;D

https://discordapp.com/channels/658020677533827101/662871717667930142

And for peoples in North America.....don't forget that most of us went to DST last weekend so 21 hours UTC will be one hour later.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52149 on: March 14, 2020, 09:42:32 am »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:48:39 am by bd139 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf