Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16688823 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52000 on: March 12, 2020, 03:20:56 pm »
https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/games/euromillions   :popcorn:

Not a gambler :-DD.

And add the sharks!

with lasers

on their frikkin heads  :-DD

How much?!? On yer bike matey!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-OSCILLOSCOPE-2-CHANNELS-100MHz-PM3065-MX-9059/184207705957

:scared: |O :palm:

LOL no way. Where do they get this pricing from? Their anus?

Today's purchase just arrived - very happy with this - stands at 45 degree angle so can sit on the floor for bench stuff isolation from computer stuff

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52001 on: March 12, 2020, 03:23:54 pm »
Well surprise, surprise. Unsoldered both ends of the delay line and guess what? It's not open. Both center conductors are OK. So something is screwy with the connection to the vertical board. Investigating.....

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52002 on: March 12, 2020, 03:25:42 pm »
Is it like the 465 delay lines ie the line is socketed but the rest is soldered? I’ve unbuggered a couple of them just by pulling and soldering them again.

Edit: also Pomona clip leads FTW

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52003 on: March 12, 2020, 03:28:55 pm »
Is it like the 465 delay lines ie the line is socketed but the rest is soldered? I’ve unbuggered a couple of them just by pulling and soldering them again.

Yep, exactly like the 465/475 delay lines. Checking out what's FUBAR'ed right now.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #52004 on: March 12, 2020, 03:29:10 pm »
FLUKE 87 FTW too!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52005 on: March 12, 2020, 03:30:26 pm »
FLUKE 87 FTW too!

The 87 is ALWAYS the first grab.  :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #52006 on: March 12, 2020, 03:38:47 pm »
One of their best early circuit designers (Dick Ropiequet) was actually a chemist by trade.

At the risk of making a strawman argument...

One of the best circuit designers I knew was a biochemist by training. Another highly competent engineer (both theory and practice) didn't have a degree.

Unfortunately such experiences does lead some people to claim that you should recruit biochemists and people without degrees :)

Actually, the chemist point makes perfect sense to me. If you can keep track of the molecular chains in a long string polymer, almost the exact same kind of thought process as tracking a hundred different circuit paths on a PCB and schematic.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52007 on: March 12, 2020, 04:01:43 pm »
...Like I said a million times I'm sure now; I need a house in the middle of nowhere, with a moat  :-DD
And add the sharks!

with lasers

And mentally unstable crocodiles...  ;)

mnem
“If you can see your neighbors from your porch, they’re too damned close.” ~ grandmomma
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:15:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52008 on: March 12, 2020, 04:08:52 pm »
Well surprise, surprise. Unsoldered both ends of the delay line and guess what? It's not open. Both center conductors are OK. So something is screwy with the connection to the vertical board. Investigating.....

Kind of expected that, I have to say
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52009 on: March 12, 2020, 04:10:11 pm »

Shocking, I tells ya...  :-DD

mnem
FLUKE sez BAMMM!!!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52010 on: March 12, 2020, 04:14:29 pm »
And.....it's all back together. I now have good continuity on the entire delay line. Apparently sloppy workmanship on my part.

But.....the POS 485 still won't power up.  :palm: If I completely isolate the +25V from the vertical board it powers up. And guess what? The vertical board side shows +11.7V with the +25V disconnected.  :wtf: I would think that should be zero. More investigating....   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52011 on: March 12, 2020, 04:54:14 pm »
OK, either I'm lacking some documentation in my 485 PDF manual or Tek screwed up and never published it.

See schematic. With the +25V disconnected the +24.7V DCPL reads approx 11V and the +27V reads approx 5V. The +59.4V DCPL is OK. I cannot find on the schematics the point where the +25V enters the vertical board nor the circuits to generate the +24.7V DCPL from the +25V. I believe that's the key to the issue.

Tggzzz....do you have any documentation that shows the connector where the +25V enters the vertical board and the circuits to generate the +24.7v DCPL? Thanks.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52012 on: March 12, 2020, 05:40:02 pm »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52014 on: March 12, 2020, 05:51:11 pm »
Tggzzz....do you have any documentation that shows the connector where the +25V enters the vertical board and the circuits to generate the +24.7v DCPL? Thanks.

Nothing that you don't have.

When I had my 13V rail problem the technique I used was to print out every relevant schematic, including "power distribution 17". I then sat down with a pencil and highlighter. I slowly physically and methodically scanned the pencil across each sheet with my eye following the pencil - not skipping hither and thither. That finally enabled me to see all the 15V tant beads which I would otherwise have missed.

Hint: 17, top right, R696 and a 6.8uF 35V tant bead C696 ?  :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52015 on: March 12, 2020, 06:26:30 pm »

Yep, exactly like the 465/475 delay lines. Checking out what's FUBAR'ed right now.
You actually had the vertical board out for recapping didn't you? Double check all the connections in the area that the delay line connects to, I reckon thats where the problem is going to be found. I've never heard of a delay be open before.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52016 on: March 12, 2020, 06:32:19 pm »
FLUKE 87 FTW too!

The 87 is ALWAYS the first grab.  :-+ :-DD
Only because you don't have a Brymen BM867  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52017 on: March 12, 2020, 06:43:47 pm »
OK, either I'm lacking some documentation in my 485 PDF manual or Tek screwed up and never published it.

See schematic. With the +25V disconnected the +24.7V DCPL reads approx 11V and the +27V reads approx 5V. The +59.4V DCPL is OK. I cannot find on the schematics the point where the +25V enters the vertical board nor the circuits to generate the +24.7V DCPL from the +25V. I believe that's the key to the issue.

I don't know for sure, but don't the interconnects between boards terminate in plugs and sockets? If so, and you can pinpoint on the PSU where the +25 is generated, then surely, with that Fluke 87 on continuity mode, you should be able to track down where it terminates on the end of the looms that you have unplugged from the vertical board? Then you can see what bastard tants are on that circuit and replace them?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52018 on: March 12, 2020, 06:59:46 pm »

I don't know for sure, but don't the interconnects between boards terminate in plugs and sockets? If so, and you can pinpoint on the PSU where the +25 is generated, then surely, with that Fluke 87 on continuity mode, you should be able to track down where it terminates on the end of the looms that you have unplugged from the vertical board? Then you can see what bastard tants are on that circuit and replace them?

I know exactly where the +25V enters the vertical board. What is missing from the schematics is how the +25V becomes the +24.7V DCPL which is in turn fed to the final vertical amplifier. And this time it's not any bad tants. This was the original vertical board that was functional when I took it out to replace with the board from the parts mule. I wanted to see if I could cure a peaking issue. The replacement board had this same issue. The +25V would not come up. I put the old board back in and I have the same symptoms. It's not the PSU. I strongly suspect I somehow damaged U660 on both boards. If I did it's a done deal fail. U660 is unobtanium and the last price I saw for one was $75. 

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52019 on: March 12, 2020, 07:54:01 pm »
A pox on people that put random sticky labels on things!   >:(

Now cleaned, acclimatised, and powered on:

That's using a big ass 220k resistor as a load, probably 7W or so. I did discover it won't switch the output on unless there's a load. It senses the load by ramping the voltage on very slowly until it sees it, no load you get about 3VDC before it shuts off. It takes several seconds to reach 300VDC.

Next I tried a 47k 5W:

The load regulation seems... well ok I guess, the metering is not that great. Haven't checked for noise yet, my scope probes are only rated for 300V and I want to think about it a bit before I jump in and fry anything.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52020 on: March 12, 2020, 08:36:24 pm »

I know exactly where the +25V enters the vertical board. What is missing from the schematics is how the +25V becomes the +24.7V DCPL which is in turn fed to the final vertical amplifier. And this time it's not any bad tants. This was the original vertical board that was functional when I took it out to replace with the board from the parts mule. I wanted to see if I could cure a peaking issue. The replacement board had this same issue. The +25V would not come up. I put the old board back in and I have the same symptoms. It's not the PSU. I strongly suspect I somehow damaged U660 on both boards. If I did it's a done deal fail. U660 is unobtanium and the last price I saw for one was $75. 

The info you seek is on page 163 of the manual

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52021 on: March 12, 2020, 08:43:35 pm »
A pox on people that put random sticky labels on things!   >:(

Now cleaned, acclimatised, and powered on:

That's using a big ass 220k resistor as a load, probably 7W or so. I did discover it won't switch the output on unless there's a load. It senses the load by ramping the voltage on very slowly until it sees it, no load you get about 3VDC before it shuts off. It takes several seconds to reach 300VDC.

Next I tried a 47k 5W:

The load regulation seems... well ok I guess, the metering is not that great. Haven't checked for noise yet, my scope probes are only rated for 300V and I want to think about it a bit before I jump in and fry anything.

You need to grab yourself a differential probe for high voltage probing with a scope, you can sometimes grab a bargain on eBay, I grabbed one a while back that will allow probing of up to a max 1000V or 600V ac/dc CAT 3. for not a lot of cash.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52022 on: March 12, 2020, 08:49:27 pm »

The info you seek is on page 163 of the manual

Wow.....how did I miss that. Thanks.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52023 on: March 12, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »
@med6753 Here is the parts location, close to U660 on the vertical board.

Edit: To be fair to Tggzzz he did mention these parts to you but referenced page 17 so I'm wondering if you both have the full full manual or not? The one I just downloaded has 192 pages and is the Rev B, March 1976. and if you want me to email it across to you, give me your email address and its yours my friend.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:14:46 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52024 on: March 12, 2020, 09:20:43 pm »
Not TE related ... is it ever?

So our prime minister has just explained that some of us will probably die after his party just spent years destroying the NHS, the company I work for has just closed office and everyone is working from home effective immediately, I just ordered 150 canned goods from the supermarket and I'm sitting chilling to this glorious combination:

Entertainment:

Snacks:

Armageddon fucking rocks so far 8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf