Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16688856 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51975 on: March 12, 2020, 10:35:02 am »
@bd139
Go looking in the Save/Recall menu where you can set the Default key to your fav/most used settings or leave it on factory Default. Then you can have timebase, channel, V/div.....all settings just the way you like them when you hit Default.
A priceless little feature IMO.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51976 on: March 12, 2020, 10:52:34 am »
@bd139
Go looking in the Save/Recall menu where you can set the Default key to your fav/most used settings or leave it on factory Default. Then you can have timebase, channel, V/div.....all settings just the way you like them when you hit Default.

Ahha. Done it. Perfect. Thank you  :-+

Edit: so found out why I had no luck with CW contacts last night. Just went out to put some rubbish out and noticed I only have half an antenna again ffs. It tuned up fine! :(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:39:47 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51977 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:16 am »
So, tautech will send then a Siglent T-Shirt to bd139?  :-DD

I got yesterday also a new item: a Fluke 895A in very good condition. The people in Oxford know how to treat nice test gear.  :-+  :-DD

Some pictures, teardown will follow. Just have a look at this nice blue sticker.  :-+

Backside. Modified for the power cable.

And the wrecking ball without a fuse:

What is nice: it has all screws in it and they don't have any scratches on it. So, I hope, that the one who has
assembled the power line cable did know what he is doing, but I'm confident.

Some of the dial displays look that they need some adjustments and the Vernier at the left side of it is a bit sluggish.
I'll check this.

Edit:

Forgot to add this video from W2AEW of a Fluke 881A which is very similar to the 895A:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:08:03 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, med6753, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #51978 on: March 12, 2020, 12:15:49 pm »
Ugh. Waaaaaaaay too easy for this group. Please re-engineer the solution to incorporate calculations, a mechanical contraption to include 3D printed parts, and CAD drawings.

No, explosive forming is the only acceptable technique.

Most strongly human (manly man as it was known) fastener method known:

The Cox Gun

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51979 on: March 12, 2020, 12:22:43 pm »
@bd139

Ahha. Done it. Perfect. Thank you  :-+

Edit: so found out why I had no luck with CW contacts last night. Just went out to put some rubbish out and noticed I only have half an antenna again ffs. It tuned up fine! :(
How come that then, it wasn't that windy was it to destroy the antenna?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51980 on: March 12, 2020, 12:28:15 pm »
Well there's some debate over the ownership of the fence post that one leg of the antenna is tied to (despite me being the only one able to present proof) and the paracord it was tied to was suspiciously neatly broken. I suspect sabotage in this case. The leg was still intact so I have just tied it up again.

Like I said a million times I'm sure now; I need a house in the middle of nowhere, with a moat  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #51981 on: March 12, 2020, 12:30:15 pm »
Simple. Drill hole in bench. Insert.

Not difficult.  :-DD

Considering what Med can do in the way of mechanical solutions, that's bordering on palatable.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51982 on: March 12, 2020, 12:47:50 pm »
Well there's some debate over the ownership of the fence post that one leg of the antenna is tied to (despite me being the only one able to present proof) and the paracord it was tied to was suspiciously neatly broken. I suspect sabotage in this case. The leg was still intact so I have just tied it up again.

Like I said a million times I'm sure now; I need a house in the middle of nowhere, with a moat  :-DD
Here you go, fixed it for ya.  :-DD

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/52857808?utm_source=trovit&utm_medium=network&utm_campaign=aggregator&utm_term=sale
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #51983 on: March 12, 2020, 12:55:22 pm »

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/52857808?utm_source=trovit&utm_medium=network&utm_campaign=aggregator&utm_term=sale

That looks prone to flooding to me.

What you need is one up the side of a mountain: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55073850.html
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51984 on: March 12, 2020, 01:03:33 pm »
See you clearly like a little junk in the trunk  :-DD This wee beasty isn't that big..... compared to a truck

What do you mean, not that big, it even comes with its own wooden pallet!  ::)

Yeah, that beast is for damned sure a back (and possibly bench) breaker!!  It will also help keep your house from blowing away in the event of a tornado.

If it was made by HP, its AC cooling fan could create a tornado. :-DD

And it has been Relisted for those strong of Back and Weak of will  :-DD eBay auction: #352999790447 It is only taking up a corner of the full sized Pallet unlike the scare mongering of others  ;)

no no no no no no no no.....NO!

i hate you all.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, bd139, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51985 on: March 12, 2020, 01:06:59 pm »

SOLD  :-DD

What you need is one up the side of a mountain: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55073850.html

On top is better  :-DD

Yeah flood plain is a nasty. When I go look at places I study contour maps and flood warnings first. Massive problem in this country. Especially as they're starting to build below sea level as well now ffs.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51986 on: March 12, 2020, 01:15:58 pm »

Check out the map on that page and you will see that it is indeed a proper moat with a bridge over it, all bd would need to is erect a large enough gate and Walla job done  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51987 on: March 12, 2020, 01:17:13 pm »
And add the sharks!

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51988 on: March 12, 2020, 01:21:07 pm »

*whisper*
"Come to the Black Forest! We have nice places on top with much space for huge antennas!"

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51989 on: March 12, 2020, 01:21:36 pm »

SOLD  :-DD

Yeah flood plain is a nasty. When I go look at places I study contour maps and flood warnings first. Massive problem in this country. Especially as they're starting to build below sea level as well now ffs.

Hah, its not a flood plain, look at the OS map of the building (attached), it is a proper moat with 2 bridges, a footbridge and a road bridge to the house.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51990 on: March 12, 2020, 01:29:11 pm »
Amazing. Perfect  :-DD.

Now where do I find a million quid?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51991 on: March 12, 2020, 01:31:31 pm »

*whisper*
"Come to the Black Forest! We have nice places on top with much space for huge antennas!"

:-DD

Exactly. Also very low noise floor   :-+

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51992 on: March 12, 2020, 01:32:01 pm »
One of their best early circuit designers (Dick Ropiequet) was actually a chemist by trade.

At the risk of making a strawman argument...

One of the best circuit designers I knew was a biochemist by training. Another highly competent engineer (both theory and practice) didn't have a degree.

Unfortunately such experiences does lead some people to claim that you should recruit biochemists and people without degrees :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51993 on: March 12, 2020, 01:40:18 pm »
Amazing. Perfect  :-DD.

Now where do I find a million quid?  :-DD
Sounds like you need slight motivation, so here you go, try this out for size. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:47:19 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51994 on: March 12, 2020, 01:48:47 pm »
That’s a ridiculously nice plot that actually  :-DD 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51995 on: March 12, 2020, 01:56:20 pm »
That’s a ridiculously nice plot that actually  :-DD 

Thats what I thought, bags of space for all of your TEA gear, no more need to sell / downsizing, just add to it all the time, I ought to get a job with Phil Spencer on Location, Location, Location.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51996 on: March 12, 2020, 02:05:29 pm »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51997 on: March 12, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »
Two parcels arrived while I'm at home dealing with a nasty abscess and the antibiotics to fix it   :-[

Two tins of white grease, and the baby EP psu. Letting it acclimatise before I switch it on.

It's half DIN width and about 2U high, so similar to many bench multimeters.

Shrouded 4mm sockets instead of the weird recessed 4mm ones on the massive LKB, hopefully that also means there's no optical plug detection that locks out the output unless all sockets are populated.

I'll post some pics when it's up to ambient and I've cleaned off some ick.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51998 on: March 12, 2020, 03:01:31 pm »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf