Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16690628 times)

Runco990, alan.bain, KG7AMV and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51925 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:35 pm »
Enough with all that newfangled gear!

Something be glowing in them there hills!  :scared: ;D

Stop with the teasers.  :-DD Post up...what you got?

Well...

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

The pulser was last called in... 2016. Did not see that coming  ???

Entirely appropriate that you need a hollow state device to test those new fangled solid state devices.   ;D

Good deal.....clean it up and put it work.   :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51926 on: March 11, 2020, 03:51:51 pm »
@BU508A it's a parrot not a chicken  :-DD

So quick cracking session. My DG822 now thinks it's a DG992. Interestingly apart from the screen decoration turning red, the output buttons changed colour from green to red at the same time  :-DD

To be honest: the first thing I'd do is to get rid of this stupid comma and replace the point with a comma (if possible). Confuses me all the time.  :wtf:  :-//

One DECEASED parrot...?   ;)

I've always found the presence of commas in the trailing digits annoying as fuck; even on integer counts. I've gotten rid of gear just because of that.  :palm:   Compound that with your hideous red theme... I'd literally cringe every time I turn that thing on. But I WOULD probably put up with it for THAT price; for a while at least.   |O

mnem
*toddles off to do something... else.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #51927 on: March 11, 2020, 03:54:27 pm »
Everything checked & works, except for the 575 that I haven't dared to turn on yet. I may need me some liquid courage. Which is a problem as I don't drink. Alcohol, that is.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51928 on: March 11, 2020, 03:59:36 pm »
Everything checked & works, except for the 575 that I haven't dared to turn on yet. I may need me some liquid courage. Which is a problem as I don't drink. Alcohol, that is.

Make sure it has the right size fuse in it. Then go for it. Give the full beans and stand back.

Oh and have a fire extinguisher handy.  :-DD

That's what I did initially with the 535A and got lucky

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51929 on: March 11, 2020, 04:22:51 pm »
First thing I'd do is take those hideous bumpers off and burn them. Then put some nermal feet on the bottom. Fuckwits. :palm:

That's just barbaric!

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51930 on: March 11, 2020, 04:31:30 pm »
Since there's been some interest in yesterday's drama with the 485 delay line tomorrow I'm going to investigate how/why it's open and try to fix it. I don't have a TDR so it's gonna be strictly hunt and peck and hopefully I'll get lucky.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51931 on: March 11, 2020, 05:22:22 pm »
Since there's been some interest in yesterday's drama with the 485 delay line tomorrow I'm going to investigate how/why it's open and try to fix it. I don't have a TDR so it's gonna be strictly hunt and peck and hopefully I'll get lucky.

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51932 on: March 11, 2020, 05:33:41 pm »
My BM800 arrived today - and I've set it up.  Mechanically reasonable for the price (sub AUD$30, delivered). 

Sound quality still being assessed, but the noise floor is too high for me.  I've tried direct into my sound card and using the USB sound card supplied and both aren't too different.

The instructions (in the best Chinglish) indicate running 48V phantom power can improve the noise and level.  Might just give that a go... when I get around to it.   ::)

Supplying 48V phantom power will certainly raise the SNR of every condenser mic, but don't expect too much from the BM800...
Without phantom power the sensitivity of condenser mics is rather low so much gain is needed to get a reasonable sound level out of them. The result is that bad SNR you observed.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51933 on: March 11, 2020, 05:44:08 pm »
First thing I'd do is take those hideous bumpers off and burn them. Then put some  nermal feet on the bottom. Fuckwits. :palm:

That's just barbaric!   

Really...? What other good use is there for nermal feet...? >:D   

Maybe not the kindest thing to do to a perfectly good AWG, but then... we ARE talking about a DG2102. Somehow it seems a fitting end for both. :-DD

mnem
I KNEW you'd notice. ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:53:49 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51934 on: March 11, 2020, 05:50:45 pm »

*casts a prayer to Ifni for med's poor masochistic soul*

mnem
"...Dominy, Dominy, Dominy... you're all Catholics now..." ~ Firesign Theatre: Waiting for the Electrician or Someone Like Him
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:54:26 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51935 on: March 11, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
And speaking of something huge and heavy......I'm going in possibly never to return.  :-DD

See you clearly like a little junk in the trunk  :-DD This wee beasty isn't that big..... compared to a truck

What do you mean, not that big, it even comes with its own wooden pallet!  ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #51936 on: March 11, 2020, 06:12:43 pm »
And speaking of something huge and heavy......I'm going in possibly never to return.  :-DD

See you clearly like a little junk in the trunk  :-DD This wee beasty isn't that big..... compared to a truck

What do you mean, not that big, it even comes with its own wooden pallet!  ::)

Yeah, that beast is for damned sure a back (and possibly bench) breaker!!  It will also help keep your house from blowing away in the event of a tornado.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #51937 on: March 11, 2020, 06:18:18 pm »
Doubt you got this 48kg monstrosity beat, though  ;D

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #51938 on: March 11, 2020, 06:48:35 pm »
I believe it's less than 48kg, but I've got two of them:

9.6kW (60V, 160A) each - your (modern) average household power supply would be fully loaded with them
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:50:23 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: SHF, BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51939 on: March 11, 2020, 08:26:44 pm »
From the BORED SHEEPLESS IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH Dept...

So, after another round of trawling the sea of shit known as the intardnet 'til my eyes water trying to research how to get started in MAME, I gave up and decided to play a little with something that requires little to no mental wattage. Initial testing just plugging in for a few seconds indicate that while it is quite bright, it certainly doesn't feel "20W of LED" bright. Powered up with no heat-sink, I find I can hold the module with my fingers directly under the 25mm² LED array for ~20 seconds before it gets uncomfortably hot; based on previous experiments with DC-powered LED modules this suggest 10-12W real LED power.

The numbers support a 20W rating; if you do the math it calculates out to 21.40W at 121.6VAC applied. Of course, the Devil is in the details; that assumes an ideal Power Factor of 1.0 for the LED driver. After scrutinizing the Amazon listing and several others like it, of course I found no mention of the PF of this module; so I did a little research on AliEx.  Turns out these are, as I suspected, a commodity LED lighting module available all over AliEx in 54x54mm (hence the F5454 designation), 60x60mm and 60x40mm footprints in outputs from 10-100W, for $2-10 per module: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200311103841&SearchText=220v+COB

But after looking at dozens of listings, I still found no mention of the PF of these COB LEDs.  |O After poking around the module with my meter, I was not able to accurately measure the voltage drop across the COB LED array, though I did manage to break a tip on my cheap Chinese probes; after that, I decided to take what I know about most COB LEDs and extrapolate.

VF is usually ~3.2 for White LEDs; a few tenths above or below. Each LED chip in the COB is usually 3 elements in parallel with a drive of ~20mA each. There are 8x9 chips on this COB LED; so now we can do some theoretical maths: 8 x 9 = 72 chips. 0.06A x 3.2V = 0.192W/chip. 0.192 x 72 = 13.824W total. Hmmm...

My experience with LED lighting shows there is a huge variation in the Power Factor of the different LED drivers available; from an optimal PF of ~0.95 to as low as 0.65 for some really wasteful designs. Usually, higher PF comes at a cost... more dollars for better design & quality parts, so expecting high PF from a module available for US$2-3 a copy shipped is probably not reasonable.

So... a random finger in the air calculation for our module of 121.6VAC x 0.176A x 0.7 PF = 14.98 LED watts. Not that far off my 13.8 watts Wild-Ass Guess, and very typical of the kind of "optimistic ratings" we all know are common with such commodity electronic modules.

But the takeaway for me is much simpler: While this module is probably not a good choice for the desk lamp it was bought for, it may well be perfect for a Luxo KFM series 6" swingarm magnifier I picked up recently for next to nothing... I need to do some trial with the module to see if I like it better than the old-school T9 Circline bulb the Luxo carries. :-/O

Then comes the really fun part... finding a  way to mount the swingarm on my desk/workbench, which has already proven very uncooperative in previous attempts.  >:(

mnem
 :scared:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 08:39:16 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51940 on: March 11, 2020, 09:03:35 pm »

Then comes the really fun part... finding a  way to mount the swingarm on my desk/workbench, which has already proven very uncooperative in previous attempts.  >:(

mnem
 :scared:

Simple. Drill hole in bench. Insert.

Not difficult.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #51941 on: March 11, 2020, 09:13:30 pm »

Ugh. Waaaaaaaay too easy for this group. Please re-engineer the solution to incorporate calculations, a mechanical contraption to include 3D printed parts, and CAD drawings. 
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51942 on: March 11, 2020, 09:26:43 pm »

Ugh. Waaaaaaaay too easy for this group. Please re-engineer the solution to incorporate calculations, a mechanical contraption to include 3D printed parts, and CAD drawings.

Mindestens.   8)

(english: at least)

--
Bye, going to bed now.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51943 on: March 11, 2020, 09:50:06 pm »

No, explosive forming is the only acceptable technique.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, scl, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51944 on: March 11, 2020, 10:01:40 pm »
Simple for me because I'm not an engineer. Never was, never will be.  ;D

Just a lowly technician. We take the stupid shit engineers dream up and simplify it.  :P :P :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #51945 on: March 11, 2020, 10:06:04 pm »
Simple for me because I'm not an engineer. Never was, never will be.  ;D

Just a lowly technician. We take the stupid shit engineers dream up and simplify it to match the tools at our disposal !  :P :P :-DD
:horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51946 on: March 11, 2020, 10:09:09 pm »
Amen!  :-+ :-+ :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51947 on: March 11, 2020, 10:13:12 pm »
An engineer's real job is to over-analyse the problem, consume lots of company lunches, get paid to go on training courses about the problem at hand, have meetings to discuss requirements and eventually a solution suddenly appears out of thin air due to market demand anyway, take full credit for selecting it, then bugger off half way through the implementation  :-+

Edit: minor rant. Fuck LCD modules. I've got a no brand one here which works perfectly in circuit. Use a "decent quality" Matrix Orbital one which is supposedly hd44780 compatible and it's fucking not. I'm wearing the flash out on this AVR futzing with the timing issues  >:(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:15:07 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51948 on: March 11, 2020, 10:29:33 pm »
To be perfectly honest in all my years at IBM the vast majority of engineers I worked with knew their stuff. But like every profession every once in while you ran into one that was dumber than a box of rocks.  :palm:   

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51949 on: March 11, 2020, 11:35:30 pm »
The truely 'special' Engineers were the top of their class and straight out of Uni  :palm: :palm:

Such characters should generally be given a Broom to push on a factory floor for six months to actually learn something.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf