Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17490044 times)

duckduck and 119 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51825 on: March 10, 2020, 05:16:40 pm »

The most likely place for a break is at the end connection.
If the end isn't socketed, the first thing I would do is resolder any connection - easy and there's a small chance it might help. Is it possible to shorten the cable slightly?
A TDR might indicate where the fault is.

You make a valid point here, it is more likely seeing as med has been working on this scope that in doing whatever, he has accidentally placed strain on the joints or connections at one end or other of the delay line. I think I'd be inclined to re terminate at each end before consigning it to the parts bin.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51826 on: March 10, 2020, 05:25:16 pm »
Does anyone remember what these crappy old connectors were called?

And does anyone want some?

"Amphenol microphone connector"

Horrible things and hell no  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51827 on: March 10, 2020, 05:53:01 pm »
Agreed.....POS. Heath and EICO used them because they were cheeeep.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51828 on: March 10, 2020, 05:57:38 pm »
Just brought a new slow cooker in Tescos - bear with me, there is a TE angle - a mid-size "Crockpot" branded one, for the princely sum of £14. In the usual mass of styrofoam, plastic bags, cardboard and every other packing material know to man that held aforesaid slow cooker was this:

946938-0
(Shown with a different slightly slimmer plug - the first that came to hand - than the one on the slow cooker because I didn't really want to juggle a slow cooker in one hand and my phone in the other while using the window for natural diffuse light.)

What a thoroughly sensible way to pack the wrecking ball that is otherwise know as  a BS1363 13A mains plug. Didn't have the usual useless, wasteful polythene cover over the pins either. That is going to be saved for anything I need to pack and I might even fabricobble a few extra myself.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51829 on: March 10, 2020, 05:58:25 pm »

Years ago I owned a Triplett 2432 signal generator like the one in the photo and it came with the Amphenol microphone connectors for audio and R.F. output. I replaced those connectors with BNC connectors because the original connectors were always working loose and I'd lose the signal then spend time trying to figure out why the circuit failed only to find a loose connector.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 06:00:12 pm by ArthurDent »

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51830 on: March 10, 2020, 06:06:58 pm »

"Amphenol microphone connector"

Horrible things and hell no  :-DD

thank you

and yes, I know right?
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51831 on: March 10, 2020, 06:22:25 pm »
It's back in the TE closet to work another day. Or I may decide screw it and have 2 parts mules to support the good 485.

Tomorrow I plan to further abuse myself by putting (again) the 535A on it's side to perform the compensation adjustments on the 1A2 plug-in. I hope that is the LAST time I have to do that shenanigans.  :palm:

Don't you have a road trip to bid on too  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51832 on: March 10, 2020, 06:28:44 pm »
Just brought a new slow cooker in Tescos - bear with me, there is a TE angle - a mid-size "Crockpot" branded one, for the princely sum of £14. In the usual mass of styrofoam, plastic bags, cardboard and every other packing material know to man that held aforesaid slow cooker was this:

(Attachment Link)
(Shown with a different slightly slimmer plug - the first that came to hand - than the one on the slow cooker because I didn't really want to juggle a slow cooker in one hand and my phone in the other while using the window for natural diffuse light.)

What a thoroughly sensible way to pack the wrecking ball that is otherwise know as  a BS1363 13A mains plug. Didn't have the usual useless, wasteful polythene cover over the pins either. That is going to be saved for anything I need to pack and I might even fabricobble a few extra myself.

That’s similar to what I do when I send a captive lead via post. I usually have some high density foam lying around from something I’ve bought so I cut off a cube and ram the plug into it. No disasters so far!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51833 on: March 10, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »

Well, thanks to McBryce above, we now know who the product designer was:

I thought the picture was quite sweet actually. I'd guess it was a 5 or 6 year old judging from my own sons "artist reditions". But the Rigol device is just wrong. I mean, what part of stackable didn't they understand!??

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51834 on: March 10, 2020, 06:36:32 pm »

I thought the picture was quite sweet actually. I'd guess it was a 5 or 6 year old judging from my own sons "artist reditions". But the Rigol device is just wrong. I mean, what part of stackable didn't they understand!??

At Rigol they like their stuff to stay on top.   :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, grizewald, klab

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51835 on: March 10, 2020, 06:43:06 pm »
Amazon delivery man has just been and dropped off my headset, so I'm fully prepared now for the next discord session  :-+ This is one headset that actually, you know, what lives up to its claim and delivers precisely what it says on the box and in the Amazon blurb. It does have reasonable levels of bass with good clear mid range and treble so it is capable of being used for listening to music. That being said, it is not however a substitute for a true Hi-Fi set of phones, I have heard better and a lot worse than as well. For the money, certainly cannot complain and for intended purpose are well up to the task in question, the inline controls are fine and operate without any noise being generated, the microphone switch has a blue LED to show when it is activated and when muted this changes to red.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51836 on: March 10, 2020, 06:49:04 pm »
Does anyone remember what these crappy old connectors were called?

And does anyone want some?

Er no thanks  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #51837 on: March 10, 2020, 07:09:50 pm »
Amazon delivery man has just been and dropped off my headset, so I'm fully prepared now for the next discord session  :-+

I found my Sennheiser VOIP headset this morning. It's got a lump on the USB adapter cable with volume up/down and a mute button that interacts with the mute functions in both Cisco Webex and Teams.  It's already been in 3h of video conferencing today, what with me being more or less confined to home working. Salesperson from ${VENDOR} promised dinner once we're through all of this.

I might manage to get an account until next Saturday. Or not. I sure am used to voice chat now...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51839 on: March 10, 2020, 07:23:01 pm »

McBryce.

Oh, it is quite sweet. I'd be quite happy to see it on some proud parent's fridge door, it's also cutely amusing as a placeholder photo, I just never imagined that some product designer at Rigol would treat it as inspiration. I was wrong, but then I so often am.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51841 on: March 10, 2020, 07:31:50 pm »
   Amazon delivery man has just been and dropped off my headset, so I'm fully prepared now for the next discord session  :-+ This is one headset that actually, you know, what lives up to its claim and delivers precisely what it says on the box and in the Amazon blurb. It does have reasonable levels of bass with good clear mid range and treble so it is capable of being used for listening to music.

That being said, it is not however a substitute for a true Hi-Fi set of phones, I have heard better and a lot worse than as well. For the money, certainly cannot complain and for intended purpose are well up to the task in question, the inline controls are fine and operate without any noise being generated, the microphone switch has a blue LED to show when it is activated and when muted this changes to red. 

These have always had the same failure mode: You turn your head and the dongle snags on something and comes unplugged, then the dongle end gets crushed under your wheelie chair while you're reaching for it. Or you get up and move far enough that it unplugs and you step on the damn thing while trying to find it. Or, if it survives a few months of this infernal dance, the 1/8" socket gets so weak it falls off the headsets at the slightest provocation, and you get so frustrated with that and the constant crackling in your ears you beat the fucking thing to death with a CISCO alignment hammer. :palm:

Good luck my friend. ;)

mnem
It was nice while it lasted...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:44:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51842 on: March 10, 2020, 07:32:50 pm »
Amazon delivery man has just been and dropped off my headset, so I'm fully prepared now for the next discord session  :-+

I found my Sennheiser VOIP headset this morning. It's got a lump on the USB adapter cable with volume up/down and a mute button that interacts with the mute functions in both Cisco Webex and Teams.  It's already been in 3h of video conferencing today, what with me being more or less confined to home working. Salesperson from ${VENDOR} promised dinner once we're through all of this.

I might manage to get an account until next Saturday. Or not. I sure am used to voice chat now...
Yeah for the last 10 years almost of my working life, I was working from home as a Project Support Engineer and spent many long hours with a BT headset on connected to my mobile so that I could carry designing, quoting and drawing up schematics while still able to talk to clients at the same time. To think that they claim men can't multi-task tsk!  ::) :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51843 on: March 10, 2020, 07:43:48 pm »
One for med  :-DD   https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/03/french-coronavirus-smurf-world-record.html
Someone told them that it would cure Covid19 virus.

I think I get it... like cursing at The Reaper, or flipping the executioner the finger. So excitable, the French...  :P

mnem
"Lets live a little while we're busy dyin'!!!"
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51844 on: March 10, 2020, 07:45:35 pm »
   Amazon delivery man has just been and dropped off my headset, so I'm fully prepared now for the next discord session  :-+ This is one headset that actually, you know, what lives up to its claim and delivers precisely what it says on the box and in the Amazon blurb. It does have reasonable levels of bass with good clear mid range and treble so it is capable of being used for listening to music.

That being said, it is not however a substitute for a true Hi-Fi set of phones, I have heard better and a lot worse than as well. For the money, certainly cannot complain and for intended purpose are well up to the task in question, the inline controls are fine and operate without any noise being generated, the microphone switch has a blue LED to show when it is activated and when muted this changes to red. 

These have always had the same failure mode: You turn your head and the dongle snags on something and comes unplugged, then the dongle end gets crushed under your wheelie chair while you're reaching for it. Or you get up and move far enough that it unplugs and you step on the damn thing while trying to find it. Or, if it survives a few months of this infernal dance, the 1/8" socket gets so weak it falls off the headsets at the slightest provocation, and you get so frustrated with that and the constant crackling in your ears you beat the fucking thing to death with a CISCO alignment hammer. :palm:

Good luck my friend. ;)

mnem
It was nice while it lasted...

Good luck my friend... you're

Yes, all of those things are possible, but I doubt it will be the case with this set however, it comes with 9ft of cable and the lead that connects to the headset is hardwired, so thats the weakest link removed. Should the control pad get crushed by the chair wheels, then the headset is capable of being plugged directly into the PC via its 3.5mm jack and a splitter cable (already have that) for the earphone and mic sockets and then I can use the mic mute button within discord to control the mic. So hopefully I'll be able to continue bashing your eardrums with my voice every Saturday when it's not your cinema time with the ankle biters  8) :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51845 on: March 10, 2020, 08:04:26 pm »

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, bitseeker, mnementh, Specmaster, worsthorse, bd139, URI

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51846 on: March 10, 2020, 08:26:35 pm »

:)

Agreed. Less concisely, it's worth reading Edward Fitzgerald's translation of the Iranian text: Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
Before we too into the dust descend;
Dust into dust, and under dust, to lie,
Sans wine, sans song, sans singer, and-sans end!
Ah, fill the cup: what boots it to repeat
How time is slipping underneath our feet.
Unborn tomorrow, and dead yesterday
Why fret about them if today be sweet!

Which is why I spaffed all my cash on a scope today  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, grizewald

Offline Dek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51847 on: March 10, 2020, 08:39:23 pm »
Got the DG822 and my word it's one ugly motherfucker. It is however refreshingly silent.

Would be a good partner for:-

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51848 on: March 10, 2020, 08:48:33 pm »
   Got the DG822 and my word it's one ugly motherfucker. It is however refreshingly silent.

Would be a good partner for:-   

Ahhh... the Logan's Run Edition Hummer. Comes with a free hummer!   ;)

mnem
...from an A'askvariian princess!!! >:D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:55:04 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51849 on: March 10, 2020, 09:08:33 pm »
One in, one or more out is the rule. HP 1740A departed this evening. The cupboard breathed a sigh of relief when I hauled it out earlier :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf