Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16695927 times)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51775 on: March 10, 2020, 08:51:37 am »
Yeah the duraplug line is nice, impact resistant.

I like a nice metal housing rack mount distribution strip myself, though they are so expensive I have to take what I can get, recovered from surplus equipment rather than buying them.

I've never been a fan of those TBH, seen to many of those warp making it very difficult to get the plug to engage correctly due to the shutters jamming up.

Good grief, how do you warp those?

Tell the T101's they aren't allowed to plug themselves in!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51776 on: March 10, 2020, 09:39:40 am »
I have been running Data over Power to the shack (30m+) for the last few years but still WiFi for distribution when it gets here to 6 or 7 devices (only 1-2 use any real data quantity). I gave up with WiFi range extenders and aerials very quickly.

Call me a Blended Family  ;D
Yeah, I also use data over power because SWMBO hates wires everywhere and as the real heavy users of data are all concentrated upstairs, I had the internet intake connected to my sons bedroom, from there I took Ethernet via the loft into my small lab, next to his room, into a 16way Gigabit switch  with drops from there to my various bits of kit and another link from the switch via the loft to my other sons bedroom, 2 rooms further along. There it goes into a 10way 100/10 switch and feeds out to his various GC's and PC's plus his own router.

Where the data comes in, it goes to a router, from there into a data over power adaptor, round to the other side of his room, 25ft and exits via another data over power adaptor into his PC. His smart TV and games consol are WiFi to the router (he also hates wires). Data over power down stairs to the TV cabinet, into another 10 way 100/10 hub to connect to smart TV, Internet radio / music streamer, WiFi repeater, Tivio box and BluRay player.

Where ever connected via copper (except in my lab) we get 95/34 and only I get 552/34.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #51777 on: March 10, 2020, 11:08:52 am »
This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Electric-Rechargeable-ARC-Flameless-Windproof-Plasma-Lighter-Aluminum-Metal/123937087472 arrived earlier, and it didn't take long to confirm something I suspected already.
I am not a "responsible person"   :-DD

It set the packaging on fire with impressive speed, and will happily make holes in about anything that will fit between the electrodes...
  ::)

@mnem, since you seem to always have your snout in some not-quite-new pc or other, I'm asking your advice; which will give better results, dvi to hdmi, or dp to hdmi adaptor?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51778 on: March 10, 2020, 11:30:03 am »
Got the DG822 and my word it's one ugly motherfucker. It is however refreshingly silent.

Checked 0dBm amplitude and it's spot on. UI is, err, actually not as bad as I thought. Just need to get through the "who moved my cheese" phase after using DG1022Z's for a bit.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #51779 on: March 10, 2020, 11:30:28 am »

Gah, Wi-Fi, give me a copper network any day of the week, wipes the arse of Wi-Fi. Sitting at my bench, with the router sitting just 4 metres away I get 28/8 on Wi-Fi but wired I get 552/34, different leagues.

My 5 Cisco 2702 access points with WLC in VMWare are quite a bit faster than that ;-)  But, yes, I'd go for cable anyway, so the 10GE upgrade for the internal backbone is going to happen when the family allow me downtime. Interruptions in access to videos and online gaming are business critical issues here...

Oh, and copper won't do. I've got single mode fibre for all backbone links.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51780 on: March 10, 2020, 11:39:40 am »
Got the DG822 and my word it's one ugly motherfucker. It is however refreshingly silent.

Checked 0dBm amplitude and it's spot on. UI is, err, actually not as bad as I thought. Just need to get through the "who moved my cheese" phase after using DG1022Z's for a bit.

Looks like the mutant child of the Fluke Turtle series
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51781 on: March 10, 2020, 11:48:46 am »
Indeed. It's what happens when your company gets big enough to get a design team in. This is immediately after the HR team hires the design team.

First you get the DG822 "A manta ray fish has been sexually assaulted by an Eagle from Space 1999".

Then several years later:

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51782 on: March 10, 2020, 11:59:21 am »

Looks like the mutant child of the Fluke Turtle series (Attachment Link)

Bullshit. Makes the Fluke 7260A look good.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51783 on: March 10, 2020, 12:08:52 pm »

Its actually much bigger than I thought it would be, not much smaller than your scope  :-DD As to its appearance, well its all been said before, but at the end of the day its all about its performance after all is said and done  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #51784 on: March 10, 2020, 12:24:46 pm »

I'm sure it's a fine generator, but are you going to design and 3D print an adapter plate so you can set your coffee cup on top of it?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51785 on: March 10, 2020, 12:27:48 pm »

:box:    8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:34:49 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51786 on: March 10, 2020, 12:29:37 pm »
    This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Electric-Rechargeable-ARC-Flameless-Windproof-Plasma-Lighter-Aluminum-Metal/123937087472 arrived earlier, and it didn't take long to confirm something I suspected already.   I am not a "responsible person"   :-DD   It set the packaging on fire with impressive speed, and will happily make holes in about anything that will fit between the electrodes...   ::)

@mnem, since you seem to always have your snout in some not-quite-new pc or other, I'm asking your advice; which will give better results, dvi to hdmi, or dp to hdmi adaptor?

Depends. If a very expensive GPU, definitely zap the fuck out of all DisplayPorts with extreme prejudice FIRST. DisplayPort connects direct to the GPU so it can provide full HDCP and high refresh rate up to 4K (now 8K, I understand) high BW video. DVI is usually buffered by a scan-converter chip so it can also deliver analog VGA with the correct adapter.  :P

THEN... if you haven't been discovered... you can nuke the video ports on the MB, then USB ports. Ethernet ports are pretty well hardened against HV; and it's easy to get around a fried one: Just let it run until the chip melts itself off the MB, then plug a NIC in a PCIE slot. Even if you are successful in killing the MB, it can usually be replaced cheaply and Ram/Processor recycled so not a lot of real destruction for your efforts.

If it's an APU-based workstation, you should consider very carefully: Using that machine is an ongoing daily punishment; killing it with that pocket TASER MAY be doing your victim a favor. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:03:00 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #51787 on: March 10, 2020, 12:30:57 pm »

Its actually much bigger than I thought it would be, not much smaller than your scope  :-DD As to its appearance, well its all been said before, but at the end of the day its all about its performance after all is said and done  :-+

yeah, i don’t care so much about what it looks like... price/performance is good. but the ifc is a freakin awful combination of buttons and touch screen and the touch screen itself is clumsy at best.

but then, i (and most folks in this thread) am generally spoiled by regular contact with older high quality TE, right?  i mean, this is the place where people talk about “low emf” connectors.  *laugh*
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51788 on: March 10, 2020, 12:34:21 pm »

For posts like these there is always

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, grizewald

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51789 on: March 10, 2020, 12:38:22 pm »

A coat of paint to get rid of that awful beige works wonders.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51790 on: March 10, 2020, 12:39:18 pm »
Smurfizing it actually looks better. Although when you drop dead one day and it ends up on ebay someone is going to be very very confused   :-DD

I'm sure it's a fine generator, but are you going to design and 3D print an adapter plate so you can set your coffee cup on top of it?  :-//

Hahaha  :-DD. Yeah it's not suited to placement of dangerous fluids unfortunately out of the box. That reminds me of the 33120A I had with suspicious looking coffee stains down its bum.

yeah, i don’t care so much about what it looks like... price/performance is good. but the ifc is a freakin awful combination of buttons and touch screen and the touch screen itself is clumsy at best.

but then, i (and most folks in this thread) am generally spoiled by regular contact with older high quality TE, right?  i mean, this is the place where people talk about “low emf” connectors.  *laugh*

It's not great. The whole push the channel touch screen, menu / home, encoder thing is like using some VBA application written by a 6th form student. I'm programming myself to use it because it was cheap, fast and accurate for the cash.

Now looking at an SDS1202X-E :)

Edit: this fail up is why I needed it among other use cases ... 1.5KHz filter config right out and the BFO is all over the place. So -53dBm out via 20dB attenuator straight into the antenna port gives you a S9 signal on the radio stable enough to unfrig this mess.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:51:50 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51791 on: March 10, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51792 on: March 10, 2020, 12:52:34 pm »
£8 more from Telonic plus I get it tomorrow  :-DD

Edit: just ordered it. Anyone want a Tek 2245?  :-DD

Tautech: I now own something Siglent  :-DD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:59:43 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51793 on: March 10, 2020, 01:01:07 pm »
£8 more from Telonic plus I get it tomorrow  :-DD

Edit: just ordered it. Anyone want a Tek 2245?  :-DD

Tautech: I now own something Siglent  :-DD

Blimey!  :-DD
One day I'll get you. One day ....  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51794 on: March 10, 2020, 01:01:36 pm »
Never  >:D. I'm now skint though until I shift something on ebay  :scared:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #51795 on: March 10, 2020, 01:03:11 pm »
Smurfizing it actually looks better.
He doesn't need any encouragement !

Never  >:D. I'm now skint though until I shift something on ebay  :scared:
Serves you right.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51796 on: March 10, 2020, 01:09:25 pm »
From the "Idle Hands Are the Devil's Playthings" Department...

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
Gah, Wi-Fi, give me a copper network any day of the week, wipes the arse of Wi-Fi. Sitting at my bench, with the router sitting just 4 metres away I get 28/8 on Wi-Fi but wired I get 552/34, different leagues.

Come on, man... I have a wife & kids with all their smartpwns, iPuds, faptops and random bits of IoT buggery. If I tried to force them all into ONLY hardline-capable devices, they'd Zergling rush my fat ass and hang me up by my nutsack in a tree until I came to my senses.  :-DD

I picked this up at the Thrift because A) CAD$7 & 2) similar to the one in my living room owned by Rogers Communication, so curious about what is inside & whether it can run OPEN-WRT (appears no...  >:() or at least maybe configured to serve VPN to the whole house. :-//

Tearing it down, I find this is actually an impressive little machine. Proper 3x3 2.4GHz & 4x4 5GHz MIMO antenna array with separate radio modules for each. Lookit that massive heat-sink sandwich! RF and DOCSIS modules connect to the backplane via mini-PCIe slots and 4 GBe ports, one which is labeled as console, so hopefully WiFi admin access is hardened out, or at least possible to disable.  :-+ On top of that, built-in 60W PSU instead of wall-wart, and a cooling-tower flow-through design for heat-dissipation on those nice big heatsinks.

And... if you look just below the CPU, you'll see two (JTAG?) programming headers labeled ATOM & ARM depending on the CPU installed.

Honestly this is a helluva little piece of hardware; the only thing wrong with it is... ISP-designed software.  :palm:

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:28:15 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51797 on: March 10, 2020, 01:16:32 pm »
Smurfizing it actually looks better. Although when you drop dead one day and it ends up on ebay someone is going to be very very confused   :-DD

Hahaha  :-DD. Yeah it's not suited to placement of dangerous fluids unfortunately out of the box. That reminds me of the 33120A I had with suspicious looking coffee stains down its bum.

It's not great. The whole push the channel touch screen, menu / home, encoder thing is like using some VBA application written by a 6th form student. I'm programming myself to use it because it was cheap, fast and accurate for the cash.

Now looking at an SDS1202X-E :)

Edit: this fail up is why I needed it among other use cases ... 1.5KHz filter config right out and the BFO is all over the place. So -53dBm out via 20dB attenuator straight into the antenna port gives you a S9 signal on the radio stable enough to unfrig this mess.

How the hell did you manage to futz that up then, you had it set perfect before  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51798 on: March 10, 2020, 01:21:43 pm »

How the hell did you manage to futz that up then, you had it set perfect before  :-//

May I kindly remind you that you are actually asking this our beloved bd139 from the TEA forum?   :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51799 on: March 10, 2020, 01:26:49 pm »

Come on, man... I have a family with all their smartpwns, iPuds, faptops and random bits of IoT buggery. If I tried to force them all into ONLY hardline-capable devices, they'd Zergling rush my fat ass and hang me up by my nutsack in a tree until I came to my senses.  :-DD

I picked this up at the Thrift because A) CAD$7 & 2) similar to the one in my living room owned by Rogers Communication, so curious about what is inside & whether it can run OPEN-WRT (appears no...  >:() or at least maybe configured to serve VPN to the whole house. :-//

Tearing it down, I find this is actually an impressive little machine. Proper 3x3 2.4GHz & 4x4 5GHz MIMO antenna array with separate radio modules for each. Lookit that massive heat-sink sandwich! RF and DOCSIS modules connect to the backplane via mini-PCIe slots and 4 GBe ports, one which is labeled as console, so hopefully WiFi admin access is hardened out, or at least possible to disable.  :-+ On top of that, built-in 60W PSU instead of wall-wart, and a cooling-tower flow-through design for heat-dissipation on those nice big heatsinks.

And... if you look just below the CPU, you'll see two (JTAG?) programming headers labeled ATOM & ARM depending on the CPU installed.

Honestly this is a helluva little piece of hardware; the only thing wrong with it is... ISP-designed software.  :palm:

mnem
 :-/O
LMAO at the thought of a dwagon being suspended by his nutsack  :-DD :-DD.

Hmm, I never said you had to have a wired system, hell does anybody rely on just a wired system at homes these days  ::) I know only too well just how much w
ireless gear you have in your household, but its only advantage is its sheer convenience, it sure as hell is no speed demon, even if he is as red as the Welsh dwagon  :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:28:22 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf