Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16706157 times)

Carl_Smith, Vince, Robert763 and 94 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51625 on: March 08, 2020, 06:01:37 pm »
Thanks for that encouraging news, I'm just about to pop and get a bit of shopping but nothing like that, just some coke, milk, grapes some steak to make a casserole with but lets see what those morons are up to in my neck of the woods then, let battle commence  :box:

In Essex? Half the population's probably started taking a shotgun with them when they go shopping. [Fx: banjo] Da da ding da ding da ding da ding [/Fx]
Well I'm back in one piece and managed to dodge the buckshot  :-DD

Actually very surprised, it was all very civilized, busy but civilized, most shops had reasonable stocks of toilet rolls, pain killers and cold remedies seemed to be bearing the brunt of the shoppers today. City centre was jammed, unusual for a Sunday and I expect that some shops suffered far worse fates than the ones I visited. I had to sit in the car on a number of occasions and wait for the bleeding rain to ease off, it was coming down so hard that it hit the road bounced back up again about 12inches. Then in typical English fashion, out came the sunshine and we had rainbows, how nice.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51626 on: March 08, 2020, 06:27:12 pm »
offered 20 bucks for this YTO hoping the guy would turn me down.

it produces 18-20 dBm across its rated range.  (8-12 Ghz). 

it jitters about plus and minus 150 Khz from its tuning point.  but that could be partly due to noise from jumpers just thrown across the bench.

need to package and feed it better and then will try to characterize its real stability and noise.

what else ya' gonna' do while hiding in the basement waiting for the looting to commence?
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: edavid, med6753, mnementh, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51627 on: March 08, 2020, 06:32:24 pm »

it jitters about plus and minus 150 Khz from its tuning point.  but that could be partly due to noise from jumpers just thrown across the bench.

need to package and feed it better and then will try to characterize its real stability and noise.

what else ya' gonna' do while hiding in the basement waiting for the looting to commence?
WTF, where's the nixie glow then?

Good score for 20 clams though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51628 on: March 08, 2020, 06:52:43 pm »
ok.

will be sure to employ either a nixie 5340a or a 5245/5257a when the frequency measurements begin.

would not want to rile up any nixie fanboys.
free range primate

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51629 on: March 08, 2020, 07:19:25 pm »
Yesterday's coronavirus wry observation, courtesy of a GP over the nearest big hill, Dr Phil Hammond (Private Eye MD, half of "Struck off and Die", HIGNIFY)...

"People in A&E are now stealing hand sanitizer rather than drinking it. And there been a surge in people sewing up their anus in case they run out of toilet paper."
https://twitter.com/drphilhammond/status/1236329280600256514
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #51630 on: March 08, 2020, 07:31:03 pm »
"People in A&E are now stealing hand sanitizer rather than drinking it. And there been a surge in people sewing up their anus in case they run out of toilet paper."
https://twitter.com/drphilhammond/status/1236329280600256514

We're going nuts also -  :palm:

Tito's tells customers to not use their vodka for hand sanitizer

(CNN)Some people are attempting to counter the spread of coronavirus by making their own hand sanitizer out of rubbing alcohol and aloe.
But vodka? Don't do that.
"Per the CDC, hand sanitizer needs to contain at least 60% alcohol," Tito's Handmade Vodka tweeted on Thursday.
"Tito's Handmade Vodka is 40% alcohol, and therefore does not meet the current recommendation of the CDC."

The company was replying to a user who bragged about using the vodka to make a DIY hand sanitizer. In an attached statement, Tito's cited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by saying that washing hands is still the best way to fight the virus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/us/titos-vodka-coronavirus-trnd/index.html
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #51631 on: March 08, 2020, 08:00:10 pm »

IIRC, YTOs are *extremely* pedantic about PSU noise. This rather asks for an SMU or a really good regulator.
You probably know that in practical instruments they are dithered to get rid of their hysteresis.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #51632 on: March 08, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »
Today I will be in the call, yes
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #51633 on: March 08, 2020, 08:07:08 pm »
I would just like to say "fuck today". went outside to reterminate my antenna so I can put an inline disconnect in and disaster:

1. Firstly it's too damn cold to install Solder BNC connectors today so my hands stopped working
2. It started raining right in the middle of it. I'm perching on a chair outside with a metcal. Not good.
3. I ran out of insulation tape to seal off the open end of the feed literally right now (whyyyy) so I'm probably going to have rain dielectric now  :--

So fail, fail and fail.

Edit: now going to buy a decent crimp tool, a coax stripper and some crimp on BNCs.

Edit 2: does anyone know any BNC crimps that aren't a piece of shit? Don't mind spending 50-60 quid on these at the moment as it's a fucking pain in the arse doing clamp ons.

The Thermaltronics at the Munich electronica told me to use this for soldering BNC antenna monsters:

945788-0

It takes two RF soldering output in one single big bamboo...

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51634 on: March 08, 2020, 08:54:00 pm »

IIRC, YTOs are *extremely* pedantic about PSU noise. This rather asks for an SMU or a really good regulator.
You probably know that in practical instruments they are dithered to get rid of their hysteresis.

this is my first actual experience with the mysterious yig tuned oscillator.  (had a vague understanding that they were in some of my instruments, but never had to yank one out to diddle with it).

had also read that they suffer from hysteresis.  will go looking for more information about the dithering technique.

thanks!

free range primate

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51635 on: March 08, 2020, 08:54:06 pm »
My surname refers to an industrial town near the German/Dutch border...

Just missed out on a Philips 6 digit nixie frequency counter, it went for stupid money (more than 90 quid shipped).

I'll just have to stay patiently waiting for a cute little glow-tube TE.   :'(

That's nothing, I wasn't even close to winning this one, wish I'd bought one years ago when they made between 30 to 100 euros.  :--

David

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #51636 on: March 08, 2020, 09:01:40 pm »

Fuuuu  today it's sunday  :-DD

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51637 on: March 08, 2020, 09:04:28 pm »
So as I did it I wonder if it has a pulse  :-// it is still however 'cute' if not  >:D eBay auction: #313014244377 From the late 60's before I was born sub 30pS spec Tunnel Diode based https://testequipment.center/Product_Documents/Agilent-1105A-Operations-Manual-C7EB6.pdf

First time I've seen one. Did you get it?

There seems to be more of these than the matching tunnel diode mounts for them, used for sampling plug-ins for 140 & 180 series oscilloscopes, I have a complete set for my 180 series scope but the scope is currently dead and a working 140 scope but missing the sampler head so can't test the plug-in.  |O.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51638 on: March 08, 2020, 09:37:07 pm »
Well here's my entry into the "smallest piece of HP test gear" discussion   :-DD

Picked it up from the Post Office yesterday on my way to work. The leads were icky, and required vigorous cleaning with IPA, and I was feeling a little punchy by the end   ::)
Here's the pics:

Sadly no accessories or psu was included, so that leaves me needing to build a +15V, -12.6V DC supply for it.
A nice touch by HP is the case screws being made from stainless steel.

No need to build a power supply, you need a suitable HP scope to go with it, something like this one if it was working & lower priced.  >:D  eBay auction: #174064854093

They also made a separate power supply for them.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51639 on: March 08, 2020, 09:52:49 pm »
Never heard of Nord Instruments before, but there is a mislabelled digital voltmeter on ePay US, comes with special extra crusty power cord  :o:
eBay auction: #202892229956

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51640 on: March 08, 2020, 10:04:20 pm »
Hello fellow Discorders, good news, following a Windoze 10 update, my mic has now decided to work so we can now talk properly on our next session (fingers crossed it continues to work) quick question for you all, do you listen via your speakers or do you all use headphones / headsets?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bitseeker, mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51641 on: March 08, 2020, 10:16:54 pm »
I have used both. That is something discord does fairly well is chop between the mic being triggered and speakers/headset.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #51642 on: March 08, 2020, 10:20:33 pm »
Quote from: Wolfgang on Today at 08:00:10 pm

Quote from: nixiefreqq on Today at 06:27:12 pm

this is my first actual experience with the mysterious yig tuned oscillator.  (had a vague understanding that they were in some of my instruments, but never had to yank one out to diddle with it).

had also read that they suffer from hysteresis.  will go looking for more information about the dithering technique.

thanks!

Another tip: Most have a Mu-Metal shield around them. This means:
- All magnetics far away, please (transformers, fans, ...)
- Dont drop, make dents or treat them rude otherwise, Mumetal is very delicate.
Also dont run then without loading (especially the higher power parts)

Have fun !
  Wolfgang

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51643 on: March 08, 2020, 10:44:13 pm »
Hello fellow Discorders, good news, following a Windoze 10 update, my mic has now decided to work so we can now talk properly on our next session (fingers crossed it continues to work) quick question for you all, do you listen via your speakers or do you all use headphones / headsets?

Yes.

https://www.amazon.ca/Greenlee-540-24-Bullet-Threaded-24-Feet/dp/B001HWB3DI/

Greenlee Fish Stix FTW.

Just don't try frying them up with some potatoes in canola oil!

You'll laugh... but I HAVE used them to cook hot dogs and marshmallows over a campfire more than once; by fashioning a "hot end" fork extension out of coathanger from the trunk. Worked a treat; just had to be mindful of the label on the end and adjust plunge depth if it started peeling. :-DD

mnem
ummmm... fire...?

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51644 on: March 08, 2020, 11:33:26 pm »
I have used both. That is something discord does fairly well is chop between the mic being triggered and speakers/headset.
So, it will disconnect the speakers if the mic is triggered and reconnect if the mic is not in use? So I suspect that would require a push to talk button, otherwise the mic is going to pick anyone else speaking and cutting of the speaker? If so then a headset would be best.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51645 on: March 08, 2020, 11:36:26 pm »

Yes.

Your trying to confuse me aren't you  :-// which?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #51646 on: March 08, 2020, 11:53:17 pm »
So, it will disconnect the speakers if the mic is triggered and reconnect if the mic is not in use? So I suspect that would require a push to talk button, otherwise the mic is going to pick anyone else speaking and cutting of the speaker? If so then a headset would be best.
In Discord you can set a talk button to unmute the mic when you have something to say.
Med usually has his scanner running but it constantly triggers his Discord mic so he has to turn the bugger OFF.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #51647 on: March 09, 2020, 12:00:43 am »

Fuuuu  today it's sunday  :-DD

I was wondering what you were going on about. :-DD

Hope to catch you sometime, though.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #51648 on: March 09, 2020, 12:04:54 am »
I was wondering what you were going on about. :-DD

Hope to catch you sometime, though.

It's funny how this corona quarantine and home office is messing up my life, I forget what day is.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #51649 on: March 09, 2020, 12:05:52 am »

I've been using a headset.

Remember to go to the Voice & Video settings and adjust the mic trigger level to minimize background noise (and heavy breathing :-DD)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf