Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16483370 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51400 on: March 06, 2020, 01:29:37 pm »
After a few months of TEA deprivation, just a small "I'm still alive" from me. As if anybody had even noticed ...  ;)

After your huge dumpster finds I think we all decided out of pique that you were dead to us anyway.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51401 on: March 06, 2020, 01:47:55 pm »
Done. This one was easy.

Verified and back on duty.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51402 on: March 06, 2020, 01:55:33 pm »
  • the CD was a simple digitisation of the 1980 analogue master[1]. It was before the "ADD/DDD/AAD" markings started to be used! Hence mastering is not an issue in this case

A CD mastered from the same master tape as a vinyl disc may not have the same signal encoded on it as was encoded on the Vinyl disc.

Mastering, when referring to cutting a vinyl disc, is not synonymous with the process of getting to the master tape. There's quite a lot of processing that can go on between the 1/4" master tape machine's line output and the coils on the disc mastering lathe. Sometimes it is quite brutal.

The most obvious thing is limiting/compression of low frequency components to stop the cutting head obliterating the grove cut on the previous or next rotation.The language used by cutting room engineers if this happens near the end of cutting a disc could make a navy stoker blush. Then there's RIAA preemphasis and there may be other things done to the signal dynamics to get the whole thing to fit the physical parameters that are permissible on vinyl. Fitting a lot of material onto a single side of vinyl sometimes requires reducing the dynamic range of the entire recording just to make physical space.

Going to a cutting room to watch your disc being cut from your precious master tape is a bit like going to watch sausages be made from the pig you hand reared.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51403 on: March 06, 2020, 02:01:10 pm »
Such comparisons Vinyl/CD are pointless because of the different mastering techniques. Because of the more technical restrictions of vinyl, the mastering process for vinyl is often done or must be done with more care and attention (see topic of low frequency excursions, for example) and can for this reason sound better. CD mastering can, and often is for cost reasons, done more sloppily.  :palm:

True, but I think there are more important factors:
  • the CD was a simple digitisation of the 1980 analogue master[1]. It was before the "ADD/DDD/AAD" markings started to be used! Hence mastering is not an issue in this case
  • more importantly, when listening to an orchestra (or concert), what is the "best sound". By the conductor? First row audience? Centre, left? etc etc. Fundamentally there can be no single best sound. Hence arguing about which is better is like arguing whether brand X baked beans are better than brand Y baked beans!

[1] https://www.discogs.com/Vivaldi-Sammartini-Telemann-H%C3%A4ndel-Michala-Petri-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Iona-Brown-Reco/release/10970311

For amusement bemusement only, today's audiophool nonsense is used speaker cables for auction or BIN £5250 - but if it sells for >£3k5 the seller  will refund the £10 postage fee.

Of note is that "The electrons travel along Valhalla's highly polished conductors at 96% speed of light" (yeah, right!), and that the original wooden box will cost an extra £250.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nordost-Valhalla-Reference-Speaker-Cable-4-m-Bi-Wire-Z-Plugs-Original-Mint/223933564117

Apart from that, the photo looks like it has been photoshopped: look at the colour of the connectors on each end.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #51404 on: March 06, 2020, 02:22:39 pm »
Such comparisons Vinyl/CD are pointless because of the different mastering techniques. Because of the more technical restrictions of vinyl, the mastering process for vinyl is often done or must be done with more care and attention (see topic of low frequency excursions, for example) and can for this reason sound better. CD mastering can, and often is for cost reasons, done more sloppily.  :palm:

True, but I think there are more important factors:
  • more importantly, when listening to an orchestra (or concert), what is the "best sound". By the conductor? First row audience? Centre, left? etc etc. Fundamentally there can be no single best sound. Hence arguing about which is better is like arguing whether brand X baked beans are better than brand Y baked beans!

[1] https://www.discogs.com/Vivaldi-Sammartini-Telemann-H%C3%A4ndel-Michala-Petri-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Iona-Brown-Reco/release/10970311

For amusement bemusement only, today's audiophool nonsense is used speaker cables for auction or BIN £5250 - but if it sells for >£3k5 the seller  will refund the £10 postage fee.

Of note is that "The electrons travel along Valhalla's highly polished conductors at 96% speed of light" (yeah, right!), and that the original wooden box will cost an extra £250.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nordost-Valhalla-Reference-Speaker-Cable-4-m-Bi-Wire-Z-Plugs-Original-Mint/223933564117

Apart from that, the photo looks like it has been photoshopped: look at the colour of the connectors on each end.

Stupidity is the largest renewable resource to mankind.
Everyday an audiophool idiot wakes up. The only problem is to find him.  >:D

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #51405 on: March 06, 2020, 02:29:57 pm »

Oh cool - can I use that quote?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51406 on: March 06, 2020, 02:30:01 pm »
Have we become as obsessive as the audiophool trying to get his system's total harmonic distortion from an inaudible 0.02% to 0.01% ? Is this our ultimate fate? To be just like them?

"Low thermal EMF binding posts" to gain one more least significant digit confidence out of an 8.5 digit DMM. Are we just as nuts as they are?  :palm:

The lines between reality and fantasy are blurred.  :D

I'm no volt nut, more of a frequency person. But, and this is a very important but, what them voltnuts are doing is measuring things. The Audiophool, OTOH, hails subjective judgement to the degree that he does not want to be disturbed by readily observable facts.
I'm in agreement with med6753 here, even the improvement made by Audiophool's CAN be measured by the right equipment so his analogy stands. There comes a point when seeking absolute perfection is undetectable by people using the equipment that nature provided us with and in that respect I must agree with him. :-+

I see your point but I don't fully agree:
Low thermal EMF binding posts have a measurable effect, you obviously need suited measures to measure and objectively prove their influence on sensitive signals. Using a 3 1/2 digit multimeter and denying the effect of low thermal EMF materials is no point to compare volt nuts with Audiphools in my opinion.

On the other hand: I want to see the the equipment needed to prove by objective measurement that foam blocks for getting the speaker cables some inches above the floor shall result in a lighter, not so earthy sound (been there, heard that from an Audiophool).   :palm:

For med it doesn't make any difference, if he is using low-thermal EMF binding posts or not, when he is measuring the B+ voltage with 3 1/2, 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 digits :)

The Seebeck effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect) is unfortunately really real and is the reason why we have cheap temperature probe (thermocouple). Most of the time though, as temperature equilibrate the effect mostly goes away after couple minutes. But you can easily see multiple uV when coupling nickel plated binding post to a piece of copper. Like others mentioned it's starting to be a problem at 6.5 digits.

I should also had mentioned that my current goal is to replace the awful Fischer connectors on all my 7.5 and 8.5 digits Solartron multimeters.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #51407 on: March 06, 2020, 02:34:20 pm »
World War Z is here in Munich, my entire company is going crazy. They told us to stay home as much as we can.
We are about 25K eng working in that development area. Holy balls.  :-//
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51408 on: March 06, 2020, 02:41:32 pm »
I should also had mentioned that my current goal is to replace the awful Fischer connectors on all my 7.5 and 8.5 digits Solartron multimeters.

And sell them at a profit?

I wouldn't recommend treating purchasers like you would treat audiophools, though. People interested in those connectors are likely to have fewer bats in their belfry :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51409 on: March 06, 2020, 02:45:31 pm »
The Seebeck effect (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect) is unfortunately really real and is the reason why we have cheap temperature probe (thermocouple). Most of the time though, as temperature equilibrate the effect mostly goes away after couple minutes. But you can easily see multiple uV when coupling nickel plated binding post to a piece of copper. Like others mentioned it's starting to be a problem at 6.5 digits.

Yes, the Seebeck effect is real, no question. But if you are measuring voltages like med (eg. B+ with hundreds of volts) the Seebeck effect doesn't really matter. It does matter when you want to determine the stability and/or noise of a voltage reference. Or when you are in the business of energy harvesting, for example. Neither I can see this with med, just some peanuts in his gear (which is another story) :-)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:47:53 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51410 on: March 06, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »

Yes, the Seebeck effect is real, no question. But if you are measuring voltages like med (eg. B+ with hundreds of volts) the Seebeck effect doesn't really matter. It does matter when you want to determine the stability and/or noise of a voltage reference. Or when you are in the business of energy harvesting, for example. Neither I can see this with med, just some peanuts in his gear (which is another story) :-)

Well yes, as of late my voltage measurements have been ranging upwards of 500VDC and the only thermodynamic effect I care about is that I don't fry myself.  :scared:  :scared: But I do dabble with voltage references under 10V and have yet to discover what I perceive to be some "Seebeck effects" but maybe what I'm figuring is normal drift IS in fact what's happening. Maybe what I need to do is raise my cables 10.27658932 cm above the bench to negate it from happening.  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51411 on: March 06, 2020, 03:16:37 pm »
World War Z is here in Munich, my entire company is going crazy. They told us to stay home as much as we can.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51412 on: March 06, 2020, 03:19:59 pm »
Have we become as obsessive as the audiophool trying to get his system's total harmonic distortion from an inaudible 0.02% to 0.01% ? Is this our ultimate fate? To be just like them?

"Low thermal EMF binding posts" to gain one more least significant digit confidence out of an 8.5 digit DMM. Are we just as nuts as they are?  :palm:

The lines between reality and fantasy are blurred.  :D

I'm no volt nut, more of a frequency person. But, and this is a very important but, what them voltnuts are doing is measuring things. The Audiophool, OTOH, hails subjective judgement to the degree that he does not want to be disturbed by readily observable facts.
I'm in agreement with med6753 here, even the improvement made by Audiophool's CAN be measured by the right equipment so his analogy stands. There comes a point when seeking absolute perfection is undetectable by people using the equipment that nature provided us with and in that respect I must agree with him. :-+

I see your point but I don't fully agree:
Low thermal EMF binding posts have a measurable effect, you obviously need suited measures to measure and objectively prove their influence on sensitive signals. Using a 3 1/2 digit multimeter and denying the effect of low thermal EMF materials is no point to compare volt nuts with Audiphools in my opinion.

On the other hand: I want to see the the equipment needed to prove by objective measurement that foam blocks for getting the speaker cables some inches above the floor shall result in a lighter, not so earthy sound (been there, heard that from an Audiophool).   :palm:
3.5 digit meters, while I still have some, they are only used in cases where I need to monitor supply rails over a long time frame, mostly my meters now consist of 6.5 and 5.5 digits so are now able to measure smaller variations in measurements  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #51413 on: March 06, 2020, 03:24:51 pm »

Yes, with pleasure.  8)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51414 on: March 06, 2020, 03:30:56 pm »
So shopping. Hardware shop plenty of Masks both disposable and proper cartridge ones  :-+ No one seen is the streets wearing masks so clearly no panic in town.

(Attachment Link)

:wtf: sheeple :palm: :palm:

(Attachment Link)

But there certainly seems to a panic hike in prices of disposable masks by the look of things, surely?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #51415 on: March 06, 2020, 03:40:09 pm »

Yes, with pleasure.  8)

Hmm, reminds me of an Einstein quote, "There are two things that are infinite, the universe, and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe".

Sideways update on the HP1120A probe I bought.
The next day I picked up another parcel from the Post Office, and was surprised to see the same sellers return details on it.
"Aha!" methinks, "he's found some bits that go with it and sent them too!"
No such luck unfortunately   :-DD  it was some sort of remote speaker/flasher thingy for a doorbell or fixed line phone. Definitely not ordered by yours truly.
I messaged the seller thinking he's accidentally printed a second address label with my details, and this proved to be the case.
He partially refunded me to the tune of eight smackers, and asked me to forward it first class signed for, £6.50.
Just bunged it in the post now, £1.50 discount on the probe, good deed done for the day!   ^-^
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51416 on: March 06, 2020, 03:40:19 pm »
Done. This one was easy.

Verified and back on duty.

But what about the Tants?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #51417 on: March 06, 2020, 03:46:18 pm »
One for each and every IC by the looks of it, you're evil, Specmaster   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51418 on: March 06, 2020, 03:57:03 pm »

And sell them at a profit?

I wouldn't recommend treating purchasers like you would treat audiophools, though. People interested in those connectors are likely to have fewer bats in their belfry :)

No for personal use only  ;D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51419 on: March 06, 2020, 03:58:38 pm »

Like other drugs that get circulated amongst friends.  >:D

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51420 on: March 06, 2020, 04:07:00 pm »

Like other drugs that get circulated amongst friends.  >:D

Yep and I use them mostly alone hidden in my basement. Ho god, I'm so ashame, I think i'm an addict  :palm:

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51421 on: March 06, 2020, 04:14:58 pm »

One of my friend is working for Morgan Stanley, they created a system where the workforce is separated in 2 teams. When 1 teams is in the office the other is working from home.

Would probably work fine if that was a closed system  ^-^ unfortunately it's not. Some of them will probably get infected during the weekend or while ordering a pizza at home.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51422 on: March 06, 2020, 04:16:04 pm »

But what about the Tants?

Well first....I never seem to have issues with the tants in Fluke gear. I think Fluke was more conservative than Tek when it came rating them. And second, I have a service manual for the 7260A but no schematics. So I have no idea what values those tants are.  :-// 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51423 on: March 06, 2020, 04:24:53 pm »
Yet. First 8000A I got they were pretty nasty. One of them had pulled a rail down so hard the pass transistor on the power supply had actually overheated and had a beta of about 3  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51424 on: March 06, 2020, 04:45:20 pm »
One for each and every IC by the looks of it, you're evil, Specmaster   :-DD
Guilty as charged >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf