Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16876294 times)

colorburst, wkb and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51250 on: March 04, 2020, 12:08:08 pm »
Forgotten what I ordered them for now though  :-DD

Edit: Current project is this tube of IRFZ24N's and a big heatsink I found cleaning out the cupboard. Decided that while ham radio is boring, building big RF amplifiers is fun (mainly because it's quite dangerous) so going to see if I can get 100W out of 4 of those buggers and a switcher I had lying around without blowing them to shreds :)

Aha.
Quote: "(mainly because it's quite dangerous)"

But why are you then afraid of voltages above, what was it? 40V? 50V?  :-DD

High power RF is not till then¹ fun when it comes with high voltages.  >:D  ;D

¹got this phrase from LEO (online dictionary)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:10:16 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51251 on: March 04, 2020, 12:13:03 pm »
That's fair. For my perspective 100W into 50 ohms is fairly easy to keep contained at ~100v p-p and doesn't hang around once the DUT is turned off. Tubes, due to high impedances involved, tend to have to require ridiculously dangerous anode voltages to deliver some power whereas your typical MOSFET amps will quite happily run off 12-24V or so as they are crazy low impedance. Much easier to take precautions at those levels.  The main problems are explosions which mitigation is fairly easy with safety glasses and a sheet of perspex, both of which I own :)

Really though I've had an HT zap and an RF burn and I'd take the RF burn any day  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51252 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:00 pm »
Was looking over the compensation procedure for the Type 1A2 plug-in and it's standard Tek stuff. HOWEVER....oh no  :palm:.....in order to gain access to the compensation controls the entire scope has to lay on it's side because the controls are on the bottom.  |O :palm: :palm:

It even specifies this in the manual. I thought I was done jack assing the 535A around. It's a total PITA and freaking heavy.  :phew: :scared:

This is gonna wait a while before I get to it.  :wtf: :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51253 on: March 04, 2020, 12:26:40 pm »
Gosh our very own Spammer what a Rare event in here  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51254 on: March 04, 2020, 12:29:39 pm »
That's fair. For my perspective 100W into 50 ohms is fairly easy to keep contained at ~100v p-p and doesn't hang around once the DUT is turned off. Tubes, due to high impedances involved, tend to have to require ridiculously dangerous anode voltages to deliver some power whereas your typical MOSFET amps will quite happily run off 12-24V or so as they are crazy low impedance. Much easier to take precautions at those levels.  The main problems are explosions which mitigation is fairly easy with safety glasses and a sheet of perspex, both of which I own :)

Really though I've had an HT zap and an RF burn and I'd take the RF burn any day  :-DD

Well, that's true regarding the low impedance of power MOSFETs. The huge disadvantage is the high currents for high power. If you are going up with the frequencies you need thicker wires because of the skin-effect. with higher voltages you don't have this problem. Next thing is the connections. You have to be very sure, that all of them are low impedance. It's a pita, if you have connection joints outside and they are going to oxidise. If I would build a high-power RF amplifier I'd follow the high voltage path. Carefully follow this path, of course.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51255 on: March 04, 2020, 12:32:55 pm »
Was looking over the compensation procedure for the Type 1A2 plug-in and it's standard Tek stuff. HOWEVER....oh no  :palm:.....in order to gain access to the compensation controls the entire scope has to lay on it's side because the controls are on the bottom.  |O :palm: :palm:

It even specifies this in the manual. I thought I was done jack assing the 535A around. It's a total PITA and freaking heavy.  :phew: :scared:

How about a hole in your bench an a thing like that for cars?

And, of course, a mirror at the right place so you can see the waveforms.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51256 on: March 04, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »
[...]

Reported to mods.
I already had, something has gone wrong because I understood that this style of spamming was prevented?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51257 on: March 04, 2020, 12:43:34 pm »
perhaps Dave or Simon can explain this.  :-//

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51258 on: March 04, 2020, 12:46:38 pm »
Pah, all this talk of foolish grass cutting technology.

Cerebus says if you want grass cut get one of these

with one of these

or if there are daisies in the grass one of these

Or you could get Lord Julius or one of your politicians to talk the grass to death.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51259 on: March 04, 2020, 12:49:15 pm »

Perhaps you can get Cerebus' Nonna to do it for you?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #51260 on: March 04, 2020, 12:51:38 pm »
... and I missed it.

You can get lucky every now and then.   :)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #51261 on: March 04, 2020, 01:30:13 pm »

Cerebus says if you want grass cut get one of these ...

or -  :-DD

943444-0
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51262 on: March 04, 2020, 01:33:22 pm »
Or semi on topic...  :popcorn:

(Bob Widlar)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Cubdriver, Specmaster

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51263 on: March 04, 2020, 01:40:23 pm »

oh man, I missed it, nice cleanup guys
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51264 on: March 04, 2020, 01:44:49 pm »

Cerebus says if you want grass cut get one of these ...

or -  :-DD

(Attachment Link)

That is not a grass cutter, that is Lunch!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51265 on: March 04, 2020, 01:47:04 pm »
Or semi on topic...  :popcorn:

(Bob Widlar)

That is also lunch and the man Cerebus needs to help him with figuring out the high frequency current flow that is puzzling him in the current switched pulse-stretcher he is trying to design.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51266 on: March 04, 2020, 01:49:43 pm »
How are your skills as a necromancer? :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51267 on: March 04, 2020, 01:55:25 pm »
Project for later today after I take care of some chores.

Capacitor replacement on an HP 6215A Power Supply. A little 500mA pipsqueak.  ;D

It's my only HP.  :P

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51268 on: March 04, 2020, 02:03:12 pm »

oh man, I missed it, nice cleanup guys

:)

Not a good idea (from the spammer)  to mess with a bunch of engineers.  :box:  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51269 on: March 04, 2020, 02:27:10 pm »
Project for later today after I take care of some chores.

Capacitor replacement on an HP 6215A Power Supply. A little 500mA pipsqueak.  ;D

It's my only HP.  :P

What a cute little thing. :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51270 on: March 04, 2020, 03:14:59 pm »
good to hear.   I assume somebody brought the availability of the Tek 24x5 Siemens fan motors to the threads attention?   https://www.ebay.com/itm/274013390896

med needs two.  :-DD

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51271 on: March 04, 2020, 03:27:29 pm »
how's it going in here guys?

anybody get the plague yet??

Worse:              |O

mnem
I hate dat bitch.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51272 on: March 04, 2020, 03:28:37 pm »
How are your skills as a necromancer? :)

Sadly lacking or else Cerebus wouldn't be going "Cerebus can see that 1ns peak is coming from junction capacitance there" (applies bypassing) "better, but why is the top of that square wave bowed, and why is it sloping down at the end if the input pulse is 100ns long, but not if it is shorter?" - Cerebus takes broadsword to LTSpice.

Seriously, I drafted, simulated and got this working (in spice) in an hour. Getting the linearity from ~1% to 0.1% was also easy, getting the 0.1% any lower is completely flummoxing me. I want to understand the causes and remedies before I start down the path of picking exotic hard to find low capacitance trannies. To be fair, I am trying to linearly stretch 50-100ns pulses to 1000 times longer or so (so they hang around long enough to count with a relatively slow clock), but in principle it is simple, but the devil is very much in the details.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51273 on: March 04, 2020, 03:49:01 pm »
As I said before... the design criteria for most Briggs-powered mowers nowadays is to be a 10-year BIC lighter tool; use it up & throw it away. But if not abused, most will make it that long with nothing more than keeping a clean air filter on it and not running it dry of oil.

mnem
 :horse:
Yep, in another life I fixed B&S too and they're pretty simple to get longevity from. Despite their design faults just keeping the filter and oil clean was the secret of their success.

It's quite amazing how a chrome piston running a high silica alloy block can last as long as they do.

Yup. Just because it didn't work out for the Vega L4 (if they'd used EFI as originally intended, it probably would've had much better longevity) doesn't mean it's not good design for a mower.  :-+

The newer generations have gone back to that KISS principle; making them fixed-speed with an aggressive governor curve prevents most dumbasses from over-revving them and starving the top-end for oil; the vane-operated choke mechanism prevents them from leaving the choke on or half-on and causing it to run rich and wash the rings dry with unburnt fuel. The plastic carburetor eliminated the aluminum scale buildup problems that have plagued all small engines since the dawn of time, and the addition of a functional recirculating PCV valve greatly reduces crankcase cavitation that once damaged oil rings. On top of that, these designs actually have fewer moving parts, and no metal/metal contact except what's inside the engine and lubricated with oil, so stuff seizing up and not working in the off-season is almost eliminated.

mnem
 8)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51274 on: March 04, 2020, 03:56:52 pm »
Yeah, but a Nonna will run for upwards of 90 years with just a little olive oil lubrication every day, and perhaps occasional lubrication with a drop of Grappa.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf