Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16922130 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50300 on: February 20, 2020, 03:39:30 pm »
At least it will make the game a little more interesting. IMHO golf is one of the dumbest games on the entire planet. What is the sense of chasing a little white ball across yards and yards of grass? I don't see it.  :-//

Perhaps this is something you'd like much more:
https://icelandmag.is/article/video-icelandic-swamp-soccer-second-strangest-version-soccer-played-anywhere

Money quote:
"The rules are pretty simple, and quite flexible, adhering to the Icelandic spirit of “Rules? They are more like guidelines!” Alongside quite specific rules like “All throws from the sideline and corners, are kicked” are others like “Playing time is not too long, not too short”, and “If someone gets hurt (perhaps accidentally) the one who causes it must kiss the booboo.” A rule many would agree should be adopted by FIFA."

:-DD :-DD :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50301 on: February 20, 2020, 03:41:41 pm »
LOL that's pretty nasty and I like the comment immediately before it that was tempting fate  :-DD

Hopefully it'll be running on a nice OS with a MM which understands the NX bit.

Not sure, if this will help. If you are running pppd on Linux, it is prone for this as well. Even worse, if the pppd can do setuid root. Ups!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 03:43:43 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50302 on: February 20, 2020, 03:47:47 pm »
LOL that's pretty nasty and I like the comment immediately before it that was tempting fate  :-DD

Not sure, if this will help. If you are running pppd on Linux, it is pone for this as well. Even worse, if the pppd can do setuid root. Ups!

I'm not sure what mine is running on. I've got a Fritzbox that does all the magic. I also assume my private LAN is insecure so if it gets owned it can't leverage anything once it's turned into a control point. All VPNs I have are IPsec via OpenVPN to Palo Alto kit / AWS so hopefully no ownage there  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50303 on: February 20, 2020, 03:53:21 pm »

Not sure, if this will help. If you are running pppd on Linux, it is pone for this as well. Even worse, if the pppd can do setuid root. Ups!

I'm not sure what mine is running on. I've got a Fritzbox that does all the magic. I also assume my private LAN is insecure so if it gets owned it can't leverage anything once it's turned into a control point. All VPNs I have are IPsec via OpenVPN to Palo Alto kit / AWS so hopefully no ownage there  :-DD

Fritzbox here as well. And if this is seriously affecting the implementation, I'm pretty sure, AVM will send out a fix as fast as they can.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50304 on: February 20, 2020, 04:30:58 pm »
Was referring to Hipsters and mnemenths story in part. My WRX most definitely had directional Potenza's on it  ;)

I'm fully aware that there are such things as directional bicycle tyres (just for you, b ;)), however no "Hipster on a Fixie" would be seen dead rolling anything but classic diamond-tread or tri-rib sidewalk Contis. Gumwall where possible.  :-DD

I was using this until a while ago and found it handy for running ongoing projects for myself https://evernote.com/ Worked well to keep the voices in my head, project photos costings etc in one place.   More Recently A5 Notebooks and a Pentel Graphgear Pencil to help keep the external memory joggers and sketches in is suiting me better.
That's essentially Onenote. I don't mind Onenote at all. It's very useful and comprehensive, for project administration too.

I basically use OneNote for everything. Also for task management “Microsoft todo” which is better than onenote for that stuff.

You have my pity. Both of you.  :-DD    bean def has the right idea (yes, you heard me right ;)); I especially like the Graphgear 1000 with its alligator-jaw pocket clip. :-+

Fenton..... :-DD :-DD :-DD

>:D

mnem
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:03:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50305 on: February 20, 2020, 04:41:52 pm »
Ah, the dwagon awakened.  ;D  This is for your collection, mnem.  :)

Source: The Unspeakable Vault of Doom

http://www.goominet.com/unspeakable-vault/vault/600/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50306 on: February 20, 2020, 04:59:06 pm »
Thanks!!! *snurrch* 

;)

Heh.... It's kinda like deja vu'... kinda like deja vu'...  :-DD

Fritzbox here as well. And if this is seriously affecting the implementation, I'm pretty sure, AVM will send out a fix as fast as they can.

Jeebus... this is layer 3 shit right? Before the kernel even takes control of the connection...?

mnem
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:16:11 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50307 on: February 20, 2020, 06:24:36 pm »

Sorry to nitpick (not really, we all love to do it here...) but that's definitely not a Capri 2.8i...

It has the square headlights, which marks it out as an early MkII, pre fuel injection and pre Cologne V6 days. The Cologne 2.8 didn't appear until after the dual round headlight MkII facelift, so if it's a V6, it'll have the 3.0 carburetted Essex. Odds are it's a 2.0 Pinto, since so many more of those were made.
The alloys mark it out as a GT model.

#petrolhead#fastfords

EDIT: Whoever put the roofrack on it needs a slap

I once heard a catchphrase on that maker, arguing that they keep making cars solely to keep Opel from being the worst.  My experience (Mondeo, Taurus, Cargo, Focus of some sort and being behind the Taunuses on Autobahn in the seventies, which is the source of the statement that Ford make cars where you fill up the oil and check the petrol)  makes me believe this even more.

The Cargo especially. Anything that improves with being sold to Iveco must have been truly abysmal initially.

Pretty much every manufacturer makes a lemon now and again.

The cheapest car to run I ever had was a 1994 1.4CFI Peugeot 205. £250 + £40 auction fees, ran it for 9 years with the biggest bill being £90 for a pair of tyres at 6 years or so, and the only repair I had to do was £50 for a new gearbox end cover which had rusted and developed a drip.
Some people however curse out Peugeot at every opportunity for unreliability.   :-//

Worst car I ever owned was a BMW, and I've friends who are clearly masochists given what they spend to keep theirs running.

As for Opel/Vauxhall, they are notorious here for electrical faults, often resulting in unintended combustion events. Indeed, when Vectras were first released to replace the Cavalier/Ascona, the very first one I saw was well ablaze at the side of the road.

Nevertheless my current car is a Vectra C 1.9CDTI and is pretty damn good reliability-wise.

As always, YMMV!

I have plans to add an additional car this year, if I can keep my ebay bidding finger under control...

In TEA news, I can happily reveal I am the proud possessor of an elusive Fischer connector! It came with a Solarberger 7075   ^-^
The best (or worst, you decide) efforts of the *expletive deleted* ParcelForce delivery driver to have it stolen by leaving it on a vacationing neighbours doorstep were all for nought, as I accidentally saw the distinctive and very robust package on my way out to work.

It is currently acclimatising on an armchair, and when it is nicely warm and dry I will power it up and generate some 7.5 digit pr0n for the group...

It came with its own very well made bespoke wooden case, complete with Hammer House of Horror sound effect hinges!   :-DD

EDIT: This is a fascinatingly oddball piece of kit:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schlumberger-Enertec-5027-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-Sold-as-Seen/254511747827
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:03:58 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50308 on: February 20, 2020, 07:03:50 pm »
5 minutes to 6am first pre road trip Caffeine imbibed second loaded ready to make then let the Road Trip commence. Later you mob.....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, med6753, mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50309 on: February 20, 2020, 07:25:56 pm »
drive safe
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50310 on: February 20, 2020, 07:45:18 pm »
Regarding the Metrix and Yokogawa scopes a page or two ago:  Do you remember the Pixar short film "Lifted" and the spacecraft control panel?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50311 on: February 20, 2020, 08:01:28 pm »
@ThickPhilM That is actually a quite nice bit of kit, I love the red LEDs on it etc but there is no known manual for it anywhere that I can find, and also if there was its going to be in French and if there is one thing in particular that the British are known for, its their general lack of a second language and I'm not the exception to that  :-DD. I think its really quirky and I love it for that...hmmm.....  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50312 on: February 20, 2020, 08:03:07 pm »
5 minutes to 6am (Attachment Link) first pre road trip Caffeine imbibed second loaded ready to make then let the Road Trip commence. Later you mob.....
Yeah good luck and safe driving, already looking forward to the many photos of this beast on the bench.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50313 on: February 20, 2020, 08:36:54 pm »
Regarding the Metrix and Yokogawa scopes a page or two ago:  Do you remember the Pixar short film "Lifted" and the spacecraft control panel?

Oh, thank you for that belly laugh; I needed it. I'm a longtime fan of PIXAR shorts; but somehow I missed this one.  :-+

mnem
:o   Hey... waitaminnit...         

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, worsthorse

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50314 on: February 20, 2020, 08:45:55 pm »
@ThickPhilM That is actually a quite nice bit of kit, I love the red LEDs on it etc but there is no known manual for it anywhere that I can find, and also if there was its going to be in French and if there is one thing in particular that the British are known for, its their general lack of a second language and I'm not the exception to that  :-DD. I think its really quirky and I love it for that...hmmm.....  :-//

I do kind of like the look of it, it's very... idk... oh wait it just popped into my head as I'm typing now! It reminds me of the control panels on Apollo 13... I know they were all green, but that's what it makes me think of...

I have some good friends that are French, but I suspect something that technical would stretch their translation abilities. It's certainly waaaay beyond mine (insults and hellos in a dozen or so languages).
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50315 on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:23 pm »
Quick one for our US friends. 34401A’s at $280:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303494509729

I would buy one at that price in an instant but I’ll be mugged for £66 import which annoys me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50316 on: February 20, 2020, 08:57:16 pm »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303494509729

I would buy one at that price in an instant but I’ll be mugged for £66 import which annoys me.
Yep, the postage charge is very reasonable however, but stick on the import duty and you back in the £300 bracket again  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50317 on: February 20, 2020, 09:02:05 pm »
Indeed. If it was £216 here I'd snap a couple up. Then sell one for £350 later on thus reducing the price of the first one to £82 :)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50318 on: February 20, 2020, 09:03:17 pm »

It's always a risk to buy one of many. You see a nice unit in the picture and may get a "comparable" unit much worse off. I've suffered that fate before and that wasn't even an intentionally misleading ad.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50319 on: February 20, 2020, 09:03:50 pm »
And now back on topic again, I've just noticed that one of the small panel mounted sockets for component leads is actually broken and the missing piece of plastic is actually missing otherwise I could just glue it back on. Does anyone know of where these may be available from, the smallest so far that I have come across has been 2mm and I think these are 1mm. They look to be pretty corroded anyway so it would be nice to replace all 4 of them.

The unit is so sensitive that if I use leads with 4mm bananas and crock clips on the other end (1m long) on lower values the meter can actually read the capacitance between the leads as well. I have a very short set of leads that could be used if necessary, but its so much better to just push the capacitors leads directly into the sockets. I like the way that they have arranged the sockets to provide maybe the 3 most common pitches between the leads to maximise the accuracy of the readings, awesome.

They look very familiar, do you still need some?

David

Yes I do still need some but PA0PBZ has some slightly different ones that he is kindly sending to me. But as a back up just in case, do you know where they are available from, I keep drawing a blank in my searches.

NOS I have in my spares, probably just as tarnished even though they haven't been used, remind me at the weekend if I haven't got back to you.

David

The 1mm test plugs/sockets were sold by RS, I found part numbers in the 1993 dead-tree format RS catalog.
The two pole connectors below those look suspiciously like the recharge connector found on the small Time Electronics millivolt & current source calibration boxes.

I thought I had a lot of the 1mm sockets but only a have a couple of each, electrojumble also have some new-old-stock (search for CON7495 on linked page);
http://www.electrojumble.org/connects_012.htm#Oxley

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50320 on: February 20, 2020, 09:04:32 pm »
I'd probably join you in that as well, oh well.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50321 on: February 20, 2020, 09:06:02 pm »
Indeed. If it was £216 here I'd snap a couple up. Then sell one for £350 later on thus reducing the price of the first one to £82 :)

Why am I picturing a Ferengi in spandex on a gold pressed bicycle?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50322 on: February 20, 2020, 09:12:20 pm »
And now back on topic again, I've just noticed that one of the small panel mounted sockets for component leads is actually broken and the missing piece of plastic is actually missing otherwise I could just glue it back on. Does anyone know of where these may be available from, the smallest so far that I have come across has been 2mm and I think these are 1mm. They look to be pretty corroded anyway so it would be nice to replace all 4 of them.

The unit is so sensitive that if I use leads with 4mm bananas and crock clips on the other end (1m long) on lower values the meter can actually read the capacitance between the leads as well. I have a very short set of leads that could be used if necessary, but its so much better to just push the capacitors leads directly into the sockets. I like the way that they have arranged the sockets to provide maybe the 3 most common pitches between the leads to maximise the accuracy of the readings, awesome.

They look very familiar, do you still need some?

David

Yes I do still need some but PA0PBZ has some slightly different ones that he is kindly sending to me. But as a back up just in case, do you know where they are available from, I keep drawing a blank in my searches.

NOS I have in my spares, probably just as tarnished even though they haven't been used, remind me at the weekend if I haven't got back to you.

David

The 1mm test plugs/sockets were sold by RS, I found part numbers in the 1993 dead-tree format RS catalog.
The two pole connectors below those look suspiciously like the recharge connector found on the small Time Electronics millivolt & current source calibration boxes.

I thought I had a lot of the 1mm sockets but only a have a couple of each, electrojumble also have some new-old-stock (search for CON7495 on linked page);
http://www.electrojumble.org/connects_012.htm#Oxley

David
Thanks for the link, sadly however they are closed until further notice  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50323 on: February 20, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »
Thanks for the link, sadly however they are closed until further notice  :palm:

Sorry I hadn't spotted that (I had a bookmark for the connector webpage), RS have discontinued them, also some very overpriced packs of them on ebay.
Let me know if the alternate sockets you found are no good.

David

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50324 on: February 20, 2020, 09:40:07 pm »
Why am I picturing a Ferengi in spandex on a gold pressed bicycle?

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf