Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16856157 times)

Vince, factory, wkb and 90 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49675 on: February 14, 2020, 03:12:45 pm »
*snip*
mnem
*off in search of a better HDMI switch*

If you find one let me know, mine regularly crashes   :-\

Yeah, mine was purchased because it was well-rated and an "Amazon's Choice" for only $15 Canadian; but it seems to have a cyclic glitch every 30-60 seconds. I was going to just hit the local Best Buy for a name-brand replacement, but they were nucking futs; having only one no-name Chinese import model in stock at $113. ::)

I've decided to do some testing to see if I can find the cause before I send this one back; I have until March to get a answer.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49676 on: February 14, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »
In Other News... a Alberta Clipper beat me up last night!

Yesterday I got caught in a Nor'Eastern phenomenon; when the North American Jet Stream decides to take a dip South, it makes a precipitous drop in local temps. As in it was around zero yesterday afternoon when I went out to do grocery shopping... by the time the sun went down, it was -20°C with windchill below -30°C. :scared:

I was doing fine yesterday with only my normal coat... on the very brief trips to the car I'd just turn my collar up against the wind. THEN I went to put gas in the car.  :o The gas station was a fucking wind tunnel, and by the time I'd finished pumping (6-8 minutes), to protect my burning ears I had my coat hiked up around my head like when we'd play Headless Horseman for Halloween as kids. :palm:

When I woke up this morning, it was clear I'd gotten a bit of frostbite... not enough that bits fall off, but it still feels like when grandma would box my ears for giving her sass. ::)

So, today I decided to give my wife a Unicorn wearing earmuffs.
>:D

mnem

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:21:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49677 on: February 14, 2020, 03:19:58 pm »
*snip*
mnem

If you find one let me know, mine regularly crashes   :-\

Yeah, mine was purchased because it was well-rated and an "Amazon's Choice" for only $15 Canadian; but it seems to have a cyclic glitch every 30-60 seconds. I was going to just hit the local Best Buy for a name-brand replacement, but they were nucking futs; having only one no-name Chinese import model in stock at $113. ::)

I've decided to do some testing to see if I can find the cause before I send this one back; I have until March to get a answer.

mnem

Wow, that's way worse than my problem. I just get no sound and/or picture sometimes when switching sources, or sometimes the sound drops out when  the screen blanks (ie on game loading screens).

EDIT: Wow that's some serious negative delta t, you should glue some Peltier modules to your ears and generate some electricity...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:22:56 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49678 on: February 14, 2020, 03:41:45 pm »

I'm convinced, that the love of your wife for you is deep. Very, very deep. And true. With lots of patience.  :-+  :-DD

Edit:
Somehow this crossed my mind:

:-DD
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:44:01 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #49679 on: February 14, 2020, 03:42:34 pm »

My backpack always contains an Ullfrottétm sweater and my left front pocket on my coat always contains a beanie. In the boot of the car I've got a down parka in a sleeping bag sack as long as it is remotely possible it'll be cold.  Being prepared is a ritual. I once had to wait in the car for a tow truck. Took some 2 hours. In the end, I was shuddering. Never again.

I hate freezing. Welcome to the Other Suck.  :-DD

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49680 on: February 14, 2020, 03:45:52 pm »

Several hours later still needs a proper edge but a bit of Linseed Oil and Vinegar combined with elbow grease works well.

Try mixing a bit of turps in that, makes an AMAZING cabinet rescue juice.  You do have to shake it up frequently.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49681 on: February 14, 2020, 03:46:18 pm »

My backpack always contains an Ullfrottétm sweater and my left front pocket on my coat always contains a beanie. In the boot of the car I've got a down parka in a sleeping bag sack as long as it is remotely possible it'll be cold.  Being prepared is a ritual. I once had to wait in the car for a tow truck. Took some 2 hours. In the end, I was shuddering. Never again.

I have several fleeces, coats, etc., in the trunk of my car during the winter months, for the same reason.  Most people don't think about how dependent they are on the engine running to stay cozy...   and if you have passengers with you, they won't have thought about it either.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49682 on: February 14, 2020, 03:46:38 pm »

One of my friends has sufficiently bad taste that he makes "pony probes" that look like that unicorn.

FFI, if you must, see https://www.flickr.com/photos/anachrocomputer/albums/72157701549708181
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49683 on: February 14, 2020, 04:01:35 pm »
And the phrase "clopping" pops into my head again. Thanks for that  :-- :-DD

Edit: more fun arrived. I figured I'd grab another copy of AoE 3rd edition at the previously mentioned in another thread price of £23.50 to go with the X chapters. If it turned up as "improved edition" I'd shift the old one as it's 5 years old first printing edition. If it wasn't I'd just return it to Amazon. It was improved version! Bargain!

15th printing 2019

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:35:20 pm by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49684 on: February 14, 2020, 04:38:56 pm »
And the phrase "clopping" pops into my head again. Thanks for that  :-- :-DD

Thank you so much for introducing me to that concept. NOT.

Since you were alread familiar with it and have shared it with us, I'm sure everybody will now associate that with you  >:D
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49685 on: February 14, 2020, 04:43:04 pm »
I am not and never will be a bronie  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49686 on: February 14, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »
I am not and never will be a bronie  :-DD

The gentleman doth protest too much, methinks, but "gentleman" is questionable in this context.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49687 on: February 14, 2020, 04:51:11 pm »
Yes definitely questionable :)

Well X chapters book I am finding absolutely excellent. Diving into the section on inductors and magnetics seeing as I'm done for the day.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49688 on: February 14, 2020, 05:11:51 pm »
TIL about clopping

FML
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49689 on: February 14, 2020, 06:14:58 pm »
Cheapest amazon P6100 probes. I am confused:

Need me some Bodnar.

Sure nice rise time. Now if you would have a step it would look like this:

P.S: This was a nice squarewave. P6100 probes really suck  :-\
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:23:26 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49690 on: February 14, 2020, 06:23:14 pm »
Cheapest amazon P6100 probes. I am confused:

Need me some Bodnar.

Sure nice rise time. Now if you would have a step it would look like this:

P.S: This was a nice squarewave.

Looks almost like an ECG   :D
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49691 on: February 14, 2020, 06:34:11 pm »
 ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49692 on: February 14, 2020, 06:43:51 pm »
Decided to check over the vertical board I removed from the 485 parts mule yesterday to insure there would be no surprises. Well, SURPRISE! The +15V is shorted.  :o Son of a bitch.  :palm: Found it quickly. 15uf/20V tant shorted.

Going to borrow bd139's pix.

The board swap should take place next week when the thermal grease arrives.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49693 on: February 14, 2020, 06:45:44 pm »

If it were the amplifier pair directly East on bd's pic of the PCB above, I'd agree. But I see very little objective reason it couldn't have been moved North or South.

I suspect not wanting to move that part once the cramped location was discovered had a lot more to do with time constraints and the "advanced layout & design process" documented above (which I have worked with personally  |O). A lot easier to warn the factory techs with an in-house memo than to spend time & man-hours relocating because it turned out to be a bit of a PITA to service. ;)

mnem

mebbe yes, mebbe no, though i was thinking more about the connector than that particular IC.  as for the IC location, it may just have been too expensive and time consuming to re-spin the board if they considered it an issue at all.  and for those that weren't around then, board layout was a very different animal than it is today.  when we were doing 16x18 inch eight layer boards with two traces between pads (1981ish), there were two board houses in the United States that could do the work (and weren't captive). these tek boards, though not as dense or complicated had, i imagine much more stringent characterization requirements.

for me it is fun to see the design choices that were made then. that's why i like the tek 184 so much even though i cant get the damn thing to run. it really pushed the edge for the time.

edit: wish i had watched the tektronix video before i posted... that was two generations before the boards i worked with. i haven't done a board "the tek way" since high school shop.  man, that brought back some memories, thanks for posting it.  :-+

Yup... that was what I was talking about there.  I haven't worked on a board the Tek way since my first gig right out of tech school... they hired me BECAUSE I had training in the multiple cel overlay design process. They were a bit paranoid about having any digital version of anything they made stored anywhere. :scared:

I still have an occasionally recurring dream where I come in to work to find I'd laid out a whole board in the wrong scale; somehow the project made it all the way thru the first run in board fab before they realized the boards were 2.54 times too large... and I'm not wearing pants. :o

mnem
I am not my pants. No, I am not your pants either.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49694 on: February 14, 2020, 06:55:20 pm »
That reminds me when I was doing “technology” at school. We had to etch a PCB using those horrible dalo rub down transfers on acetate. The technician was a bit of a bastard and waved through everyone’s boards just to educate them on debugging and paying attention  :-DD.

Edit: also mine didn’t work. The clock source for my “device” (usual electronic dice project) was a 555 which was bought from RS own brand line and had been abused by previous students until it was well and truly buggered. Technician denied any problems with the device so I swapped it for one of my own ones the next lesson and carefully placed the buggered one back in the parts drawers for someone else to suffer  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 06:58:34 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49695 on: February 14, 2020, 07:06:48 pm »

I'm convinced, that the love of your wife for you is deep. Very, very deep. And true. With lots of patience.  :-+  :-DD

Edit:Somehow this crossed my mind:    :-DD

Are you kidding...? As soon as she was done laughing, she turned to me and said You do realize... I'm going to wear them. EVERY TIME we go walkies with your daughter!!!

But, just between us and the TEA... I fully expected that response! :-DD And you're absolutely nail-on-the-head correct in the nature of our love for each other.  ;)

mnem
I have yet to supercharge her WaterPik, but we BOTH know it's only a matter of time... :o

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49696 on: February 14, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »
Found a new usage for my reflowR (normally used to reflow pcb). Make a nice and stable hotplate  ;D

I'm using it to heat up mineral oil to precisely 60 deg. Trying to measure the Seebeck effect between a copper wire and a brass tinned binding post, not working so good right now  :-\

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49697 on: February 14, 2020, 07:36:40 pm »

I have several fleeces, coats, etc., in the trunk of my car during the winter months, for the same reason.  Most people don't think about how dependent they are on the engine running to stay cozy...   and if you have passengers with you, they won't have thought about it either.

Oh, I have the usual thermal blankets and extra gloves stuffed in with the spare tire; and the Rav4 always has a moving blanket on the floor in the boot. But even if I'd had a beanie inside it wouldn't have mattered... I was in that "trapped in the wind tunnel by a gas nozzle without a trigger-lock thingum" scenario, and couldn't think of anything but getting it over with and back inside. I did at least somewhat wisely choose the absolute smallest prepay amount from the screen to minimize time spent dancing with Jack Frost. :P

mnem
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:38:49 pm by mnementh »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49698 on: February 14, 2020, 07:45:51 pm »

Oh, I have the usual thermal blankets and extra gloves stuffed in with the spare tire; and the Rav4 always has a moving blanket on the floor in the boot. But even if I'd had a beanie inside it wouldn't have mattered... I was in that "trapped in the wind tunnel by a gas nozzle without a trigger-lock thingum" scenario, and couldn't think of anything but getting it over with and back inside. I did at least somewhat wisely choose the absolute smallest prepay amount from the screen to minimize time spent dancing with Jack Frost. :P

mnem

I ended up realising that I hate humidity and not necessarily temperature. When it's below -20 the air is always really dry, so a lot more tolerable (for me at least). Call me crazy but I loved it this morning :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49699 on: February 14, 2020, 07:48:27 pm »

I ended up realising that I hate humidity and not necessarily temperature. When it's below -20 the air is always really dry, so a lot more tolerable (for me at least). Call me crazy but I loved it this morning :)

I don't like humidity either but -20? No thank you.  :o :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf