Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16868176 times)

TERRA Operative and 135 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49475 on: February 10, 2020, 11:28:23 pm »
About the U800 on the Tek 24XX scopes, I didn't know that there was a replacement board.

http://www.davmar.org/TE/Tek2465/lafay.html

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49476 on: February 10, 2020, 11:30:46 pm »
About the U800 on the Tek 24XX scopes, I didn't know that there was a replacement board.

(Attachment Link)

my understanding is that the files for this are incomplete and the creator is unresponsive

would love to be shown to be wrong on this
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 12:54:01 am by WastelandTek »
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49477 on: February 10, 2020, 11:31:07 pm »
Turns out it’s not rocket science to build your own 1GHz sampling head  :-DD

Deceptively simple? That circuit is way beyond my skill level, but I suspect there's more to it than meets the eye.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49478 on: February 10, 2020, 11:39:39 pm »
Hold my beer  :-DD

(I may build a simpler one to get 100Mhz out of the HM307 to start with as I’ve got the right bits floating around I reckon).

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #49479 on: February 10, 2020, 11:49:12 pm »
Got my weekly Chinesium cookie today:

hope the wife will appreciate it... I hope...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49480 on: February 10, 2020, 11:52:06 pm »

(Attachment Link)

my understanding is that the files for this are incomplete ant the creator is unresponsive

A bigger problem is that the BOM cost is more than buying a good used U800 (or a complete working 2445 on a good day).

(It's been quite a while since I've seen a U800 failure though.  I think all the ones that were going to fail, have already failed.)

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49481 on: February 10, 2020, 11:59:08 pm »

(It's been quite a while since I've seen a U800 failure though.  I think all the ones that were going to fail, have already failed.)

And I hope you're right  ^-^

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49482 on: February 11, 2020, 12:18:43 am »

I second that.
specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49483 on: February 11, 2020, 12:32:29 am »

I second that.

I third that. Needless worry. Keep it cool and leave it alone.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49484 on: February 11, 2020, 12:45:51 am »

A bigger problem is that the BOM cost is more than buying a good used U800 (or a complete working 2445 on a good day).

It's not always about money.

I frequently put more into boat anchors than they are strictly worth.  I suspect many of us do, and what with the 2465B being widely considered as the finest analog scope ever made...well...having an option to keep them running would sure be nice.

I think when I win the lottery I may start a business recreating the most unobtanium Tek parts, those trigger tunnel diodes for the 400s come to mind.  This business will almost certainly run at a loss, for tax purposes you understand.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49485 on: February 11, 2020, 12:50:10 am »
...(It's been quite a while since I've seen a U800 failure though.  I think all the ones that were going to fail, have already failed.)

Not me. I need parts mules.  >:D

mnem
And so my 2465 Army grows...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49486 on: February 11, 2020, 01:13:51 am »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline alextwin007

• Contributor
  • Collector of mini test equipment
« Reply #49487 on: February 11, 2020, 01:25:27 am »
These are the exact kind of things I keep an eye out for.  Unfortunately I'm in the US.
These tiny Russian scopes never seem to be in the US, I can't image why :P
Anyone looking for a small form factor scope in the UK, London / South Eastern UK area might like to consider this, spotted tonight on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-ussr-c1-73-oscilloscope-fully-working-clean-in-and-out/1365979592?utm_source=savedsearches&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GT.TRIGGER.SA&utm_content=none&utm_source=salesforce&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Search_Alert&utm_content=EMAIL_ALERTS_TRACK_MULTI
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:27:13 am by alextwin007 »
Having a test equipment addiction is difficult when you don't have a lot of room.  The solution, only collect small adorable test equipment.

Looking for a tek 1401 / 1401A, if you have one message me

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49489 on: February 11, 2020, 02:00:12 am »
I make that ~296MHz equivalent bandwidth... suspiciously high? Maybe not. Seems to be within the realms of possibility for this little box: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscopes-to-stay-away-from-(spec-tek-2337-question)/msg46880/#msg46880

Edit: also have to say this. I'm not sure why I didn't buy one of these scopes before. It's just perfect.

Remember, the 2445 is the scope that wanker 2465b likes to homunculate into a "2465"; there's a reason he can claim near equivalent performance from his bastard children. ;)

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:02:22 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49490 on: February 11, 2020, 02:07:43 am »
Anyone looking for a small form factor scope in the UK, London / South Eastern UK area might like to consider this, spotted tonight on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/vintage-ussr-c1-73-oscilloscope-fully-working-clean-in-and-out/1365979592?utm_source=savedsearches&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GT.TRIGGER.SA&utm_content=none&utm_source=salesforce&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Search_Alert&utm_content=EMAIL_ALERTS_TRACK_MULTI
MartinM chases little scopes too but might already have this one.
Just been watching a video on YouTube (a car channel) with a Welsh YouTuber who is over in New Zealand doing an exploration of the island and is currently in North island, which is where I believe you are. He has just driven coast to coast across from West to East along the Forgotten World Highway and the scenery is beautiful, here is a link to that drive if you're interested.

:-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #49491 on: February 11, 2020, 02:26:48 am »
Yeah Spec, did the forgotten highway with the missus a few years ago. It is scenic but some is bloody steep and only good to farm sheep or mountain goats on !
Runs between Tauriminui and Stratford which is close to New Plymouth. Basically middle of our north island to the west coast.
Few hundy miles south of where we are in Auckland.

Wanna real wilderness drive take SH38 through the Urewera's.
https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/east-coast/places/te-urewera/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 02:37:38 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49492 on: February 11, 2020, 02:36:18 am »
I make that ~296MHz equivalent bandwidth... suspiciously high? Maybe not. Seems to be within the realms of possibility for this little box: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscopes-to-stay-away-from-(spec-tek-2337-question)/msg46880/#msg46880

Edit: also have to say this. I'm not sure why I didn't buy one of these scopes before. It's just perfect.

Remember, the 2445 is the scope that wanker 2465b likes to homunculate into a "2465"; there's a reason he can claim near equivalent performance from his bastard children. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

muahahaha!

he's also the guy selling the seven hundred dollar TM plugins with ad copy that provides a service for defrauding foreign governments by accepting payment on the side and sending a false invoice. 

when will people figure out that a person that offers to cheat on your behalf is just as likely to cheat you directly, given the chance?
specialization is for insects.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #49493 on: February 11, 2020, 03:55:54 am »
I defy any of these audio jerks to tell an audible difference between a run of the mill RCA 12AX7 and an Amprex 12AX7. 99.9% of them can't. It's all in their pea brain head.  ::)

Not only that, but by the time you accumulate the liquidity to acquire better and better audio gear, the more your hearing has deteriorated from age and exposure. It's quite an ironic arrangement.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: bd139, grizewald

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49494 on: February 11, 2020, 04:00:49 am »
I think the insertion into appropriate orifice's might help the verbal diarrhea that is Audio Foolery.  :horse:

Audio Noise Stoppers anyone :palm: The Description is important to read as it explains the pseudo non sciencey stuff.... eBay auction: #293078533933

If you were on Discord on the weekend you would already know this too (Attachment Link)

Thanks, bean. That listing gave me a good laugh! They are nice dust covers, though. Maybe I should put some on my DMMs. :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49495 on: February 11, 2020, 04:01:12 am »
Oh, bitseeker... you’re just so adorable when you’re a couple pages behind... :-DD

mnem
*tosses bitseeker some fire extinguishers and a flak jacket*

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49496 on: February 11, 2020, 05:42:17 am »
Aw, shucks. ;D The pages just go by so quickly! :scared: :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49497 on: February 11, 2020, 05:49:29 am »
As we enter the 1980's lets pause and remember Big Hair and the Decade Fashion Failures  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, grizewald, Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49498 on: February 11, 2020, 05:52:42 am »
As we enter the 1980's lets pause and remember Big Hair and the Decade Fashion Failures  :-DD

:-+

You can park 'em right here

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49499 on: February 11, 2020, 06:03:13 am »
Ok pulse generator take two. I was digging in the cupboard of doom and found my old JW pulse generator (2n2369 avalanche mode). Alas I couldn't find a power supply or enough things to plug together that had plugs to get the required 100V to give this thing a kick (70V my ass). Quick breadboard boost converter was developed with an IRF510 running dangerously over Vds(max) (fingers in ears) driven by the 3312A. It worked though. Voltage regulation was provided by dragging gate to ground using a 2N3904 and a resistive divider on the output.

This was plonked into the pulse generator that lives in the end of a Pomona box:

Getting busy on the bench now

And the results are pretty good!:

Also some circuit notes. MOSFET = IRF510. Standard boost topology. Inductor is from junk box around 6.8mH (way too high but it'll do). 10R in series with gate or it oscillated like mad. 470k/2.2k divider. 100uF decoupling cap. 1uF film across output.

You need an Electrophoresis power supply...   >:D

Seriously though, these things are useful, though I admit the 2.5kV max on mine is... overkill, hopefully not literally! Most have a max of several hundred volts, at least the used ones I've seen for sale.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf