Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732077 times)

bd139, Vince and 61 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49225 on: February 08, 2020, 10:55:47 pm »
I missed it. Got distracted by Mad Max Fury Road and writing some code.

tggzzz: as for the 465, I think I'll pass on that one. As mentioned I am done with Tek stuff, unless it is especially cheap or something weird or really special or rare.

There is only one true Mad Max and it needed to be seen at the Drive In way back when  ;) No one needs CGI to have Car/Motorbike Wrecks, Blood and Gore >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49226 on: February 08, 2020, 11:05:30 pm »
Well, yes, I added a pw when I did the install. Then when I restarted for updates, bada-bing, windoze telling me my pw is wrong.

Also, it won't let me create a password recovery disk.

Also, this doesn't explain the resolution problems.

Also, when re-installing from scratch second time around on this SSD (and every other SSD/HDD), some things are different regarding resolution etc, implying there's data retained despite deleting and formatting etc.

I'm gonna try a later disk I have, maybe that will work better   :(

EDIT: MS want £120  for w10 on their website lol

If you have a valid key for Win8, just use that on the windows10 install media. They want you away from everything non-10 enough to give it to you for free so they don't have to support archaic shit like that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Use the tool, create a installation USB (8GB or more) or DVD. Bam.

If you have a OEM build machine with UEFI BIOS, it'll authenticate by itself; just select "I don't have a product key".

In fact, you can install & use Windows10 for weeks without a key before it even starts to nag you; you just can't change the wallpaper and font sizes, etc. Plenty of time to determine if the issue is Win8.x suckage related.

mnem
"Leftover potstickers...? in MY HOUSE...?!? This is something up with which I shall NOT put..." >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49227 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09:05 pm »

tggzzz: as for the 465, I think I'll pass on that one. As mentioned I am done with Tek stuff, unless it is especially cheap or something weird or really special or rare.

There is only one true Mad Max and it needed to be seen at the Drive In way back when  ;) No one needs CGI to have Car/Motorbike Wrecks, Blood and Gore >:D

Yeah, and the Feral Child is now a grandfather; he's actually a few years older than my wife.  :-DD

mnem
I prepared EXPLOSIVE RUNES today...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49228 on: February 08, 2020, 11:25:52 pm »
Discord session is over. Seems, that the people from the UK are a bit shy.  >:D  :-DD   But the talk with med and bean, PA0PBZ and Sam Spastic was very nice.  :)  :-+

Yeah... sorry. I was busy stomping my son at Street Fighter IV and forgot to go harass med & bd.  :-[

mnem
"This controller sucks... how are you doing his combo move like that...?"

"Mostly button mashing and luck."  ;)  *trades controller, player and all with son*

*stomp... stomp... stomp...*

"But... but... how are you doing MY combo move like that...?"

"Still button mashing and luck, son..."
>:D

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49229 on: February 08, 2020, 11:33:13 pm »

I missed it too... head buried in calculus homework while sitting in a coffee house. just looked up and saw what time it is!

bd... that still leaves a pretty broad selection of tek gear to choose from, even excepting any tek scope that starts with a 2,4 or 5.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49230 on: February 08, 2020, 11:45:51 pm »

Yeah, and the Feral Child is now a grandfather; he's actually a few years older than my wife.  :-DD

mnem

Still need to go back a generation  ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49231 on: February 08, 2020, 11:50:25 pm »

Also, of course it looks really rough and appears to be have been in a damp and dusty environment like a shed  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49232 on: February 08, 2020, 11:56:22 pm »

mnem

Looks like a lot of fun
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49233 on: February 08, 2020, 11:59:00 pm »
Looks like my road on a Saturday night  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49234 on: February 09, 2020, 12:12:44 am »
Yes Humans were injured during the production. Also involved a local Motorbike Gang who just played themselves  :o

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #49235 on: February 09, 2020, 12:18:51 am »
Discord session is over. Seems, that the people from the UK are a bit shy.  >:D  :-DD

But the talk with med and bean, PA0PBZ and Sam Spastic was very nice.  :)  :-+

Sorry I couldn't join today. It's great to hear that more folks are joining in. Although there can be a bit of apprehension when first getting on the mic, that doesn't last long and then it's a lot of fun chatting with everyone.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49236 on: February 09, 2020, 12:22:22 am »
The Scopex turned up earlier today. Although it seems to work, the trigger is very dodgy, the channel A vertical position makes the traces wobble around like mad things when I adjust it and the whole thing needs a damn good clean. A graticule would be nice as well, but I guess that can be easily solved with some OHP film and my laser printer. It might also be nice to see the rising and falling edges on that square wave! :)

Added both posts to the POI. :-+

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49237 on: February 09, 2020, 12:31:34 am »

Having seen mad max at a drive-in one glorious summer night long ago, I must agree.
specialization is for insects.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49238 on: February 09, 2020, 12:34:55 am »
My old Calcs are in a box somewhere an App called RealCalc on the phone does what I need including a good range of conversions and LibreCalc on the PC's for the rest. I don't miss the tactile buttons or feel the need to feed yet another handheld device batteries. As for people who collect ancient electronic devices and keep them propped up to use they are clearly nuts  :-DD

I use RealCalc, too. My HP28S is pretty much a souvenir of good ol' university days because I don't want to have to feed it N-type batteries (it uses 3 cells! :wtf: HP) and then have them leak. I hate batteries. :rant:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49239 on: February 09, 2020, 12:40:10 am »
aka "abominations"  :-DD

we are in agreement.    so why do i want them?

I would suggest you are an abomination too then  :-DD

well that was hurtful.

at first it sent me into denial.... "no, he really didn't say that?"

then it made me angry.... "that wanker called me a name!"

fell into bargaining next.....  "maybe he didn't mean it, and will take it back if asked"

minutes later the depression stuck.....  "oh woe is me, would a mini stroopwaffle make me feel better?"

finally I reached acceptance.....   "hey, ol penis fingers just might be right after all"

* bitseeker runs out to Trader Joe's. "nixiefreqq made me do it" :scared:

(Never saw those stroopwafel sandwiches before.)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49240 on: February 09, 2020, 12:46:58 am »
Fuck smart TVs. They're ALWAYS made with the bare minimum ROM capacity needed to function at the time of deployment, and they ALL stripmine all your personal information... even identity and location... for resale. :palm: Even big names like Vizio.

Not only that, some "smart" TVs take snapshots of the screen to detect via pattern recognition what you're watching and add that to their profile of your interests. All this data collection is what makes up for the otherwise lost revenue consumer electronics manufacturers encounter as they race to the bottom of their price category.

I've heard that some smart TVs won't operate if they can't call home. I haven't encountered it myself, but wouldn't be surprised. I'd promptly return such an abomination. :rant:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49241 on: February 09, 2020, 12:54:40 am »
And now for something very unusual here: TEA-time!   ;D

I've bought on ebay a so-called USB-meter, because I've learned during my last "Reparier-Bar" engagement in January that I need one of these nice buggers.

I've bought it here, it is called a "USB colour display tester":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303026038488

It arrived this week and since I know how curious you lot are, here are the pictures:
(sorry, they are a little bit dark, I really need a better camera than the one from my Xperia Z3)

It comes in a nice box, so the plastic surface of the device is well protected in my tool-box:

Teardown added to POI!

screen 2:
not sure about this one. It shows again voltage and current but additionally some USB differential(?) voltages
and a Mode thing

I believe that shows what charge mode it (or maybe the connected device) is using and the voltages being applied to trigger that mode.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49242 on: February 09, 2020, 12:56:18 am »
The classic gear/radio rack re-arranged.  Left room for an amp to the left of the radio.

That is so nice and tidy! I need to do something about using vertical space for all my stuff...er...quality test equipment.

I like the plane, too. :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49243 on: February 09, 2020, 01:17:33 am »

Having seen mad max at a drive-in one glorious summer night long ago, I must agree.

I seem to recall going to the drive-in too to see it. At least parts of it. I was too busy getting "busy".  >:D :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49244 on: February 09, 2020, 01:30:26 am »
Discord session is over. Seems, that the people from the UK are a bit shy.  >:D  :-DD

You guys from the UK need to step up your game.  :P ;D

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49245 on: February 09, 2020, 01:44:12 am »

mnem

Naaahhh... Road Warrior was the only one out of the lot that made any fookin' sense, even internally; all the rest (the first one especially) were fukkin' batshit crazy, man...  :scared:

mnem
 :scared:   https://happymag.tv/george-miller-confirms-mad-max-the-wastleland-will-film-in-australia/    :scared:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:51:30 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49246 on: February 09, 2020, 01:52:14 am »
Drugs, Alcohol and a low budget = Result  :o Mad Max was only ever pitched as B Grade Drive In fodder which it succeeded in better than most and who watches that sort of movie is really interested in the story  ;)

The more recent ones have been all about the almighty $ and keeping US based backers happy  :--

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49247 on: February 09, 2020, 02:03:01 am »

Don't forget that the UK is far smaller country when compared to you guys and so that translates into fewer UK members anyway. I dare say that if I was on my own, I'd be there but as it is there is all too often other demands on my time to sit and natter away on the microphone. ::) :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #49248 on: February 09, 2020, 02:54:22 am »

Don't forget that the UK is far smaller country when compared to you guys and so that translates into fewer UK members anyway. I dare say that if I was on my own, I'd be there but as it is there is all too often other demands on my time to sit and natter away on the microphone. ::) :popcorn:
Ya wat ?  :-//
This Kiwi from just 4 million of us made it, why couldn't you ?
Lame excuses !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49249 on: February 09, 2020, 03:31:14 am »

Ya wat ?  :-//
This Kiwi from just 4 million of us made it, why couldn't you ?
Lame excuses !  :P

Lame is right.   |O You might be a smaller country physical size but look at the total number of blog members from the UK who participate in this thread. Shall I name them all?  :palm:  :-DD

Microphonephobia :horse: ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf