Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17732973 times)

Vince, RolandK, flash2b and 113 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49175 on: February 08, 2020, 01:48:28 pm »
In Related News...

While attempting to connect to Amazon Video Canada has been a complete dog's breakfast... The XBox has already justified it's existence in that it has provided access to Season 12 of Dr Who for me; something none of my other streaming devices was willing to put out.   :-+

Definitely worth the $34 just for that, even if I do have to navigate the player with a game controller.  :-DD

mnem
*goes to lie down before I fall down*

That reminds me. I was going to ask here. Does anyone know of a decent bit of kit that can stream Netflix and Amazon prime video? A colleague has a fire stick and says it’s a piece of shit and I don’t want Alexa in the house. Nearest thing I can find which is sane is the Apple TV which would work as this is an iOS cult but it’s pretty damn expensive if you get the 4K one and the HD one is near EOL.

TL/DR: Roku Ultra with JBL Headphones. I just ordered my second one for The Dark Lord Regza.

The problem is not that simple... in order to do 4K (or even plain old 1080P before long) with any of the popular streaming services your player needs to be properly certified for Widevine DRM. Most of your cheap Android players simply do not have this; it costs money and they're just pushing "race to the bottom quick cash grab" tinkertoy POS gear that barely streams anything unless you're willing to put up with the constant updating circle-jerk of KODI.   :palm:

NetFlix uses the same or similar DRM, but they require in-house certification for 2K & 4K streaming. That list is even shorter.

So... to answer your question: NVIDIA ShieldTV or my choice, Roku Ultra with JBL Headphones. I just ordered my second one for The Dark Lord Regza

The headphones (while nice enough for earbuds) are not what's important; it's the large ROM size needed for future DRM firmware updates and especially the bluetooth remote with audio. You can hide the Roku behind the TV, and when you want to watch something inappropriate or very loudly, you can plug in your favorite headphones and not disturb anyone else. Best part, it plays quite nicely with NiMH rechargeables.  :-+ Also, it is the last one that still has hardline & TOSlink ports.  Correction: only 2016 & earlier models still have the TOSlink; they've omitted it in later versions. A-HOLES. You'll have to shop carefully and look for that specifically if you need it.  The Roku Wiki has a rubrik that breaks down all the features.

You CAN have a Roku account without CC info tied to it. This is how I did my account.

Realize that the problems I'm having with getting Dr Who have NOTHING to do with the device... it's the BEEB's fault. Those assholes signed an exclusive contract with fucking HBO's new HBO Max streaming service here in North America... you pretty much can't get ANYTHING BBC anywhere else over here once HBO Max goes balls-deep on deployment. I don't know how in the hell I was still able to get Season 12 through XBOX Live; I don't hold out a lot of hope for anything after that. :-//

mnem

Big thanks for this. I hadn’t looked at Roku. Will do some research  :-+. Think it’s regionally different as well so there’s content differences here as well. Grr.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49176 on: February 08, 2020, 02:47:27 pm »
Just by coincidence I had this delivered yesterday for the bedroom. Yea, it's only 720P and by a brand I never heard of.

To these tried old eyes it has an outstanding picture and there's no stalling or buffering on my 2.4GHz wireless which is crowded here too in my complex. I do have a wired port available if I need it.

It took about 20 minutes of applying updates upon first power up and so far it's been great. And Alexa is mute.

And the price was right.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49177 on: February 08, 2020, 02:54:57 pm »
Interesting product. Price is pretty amazing.  I’m not sure I like built in functionality like that though. Also conversely I paid £0.99 for my Samsung 32” dumb 1080p TV because it was bust and buyer collects. All that was up was an SMPS cap was short (£3 from RS and only because I had to buy a 2 pack)  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49178 on: February 08, 2020, 02:57:52 pm »
INSIGNIA is Best Buy's house brand. Their stuff is mostly rebranded "Chinese domestic" stuff you never heard of in the West.

Fuck smart TVs. They're ALWAYS made with the bare minimum ROM capacity needed to function at the time of deployment, and they ALL stripmine all your personal information... even identity and location... for resale. :palm: Even big names like Vizio. Within a few years you'll be looking for a streaming box anyways, as the built-in apps drop off one by one because not enough ROM or MFR sucks balls and refuses to pay someone to update the apps so they remain compliant *coughSAMSUCKcough*.  |O

At least with the big name purpose-built streaming boxes you get enough ROM for several years of FW upgrades (Roku is the best... they JUST NOW stopped updating the oldest generations as the ROM is too small for current AV & DRM provisions) and you can be reasonably sure the data they collect is anonymized.

mnem
*I lick Lara Croft very much* >:D

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:00:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49179 on: February 08, 2020, 03:08:18 pm »
I set my countdown timer to when you would post and puke all over it. You did not disappoint.  :P :P :P :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49180 on: February 08, 2020, 03:14:27 pm »
And now for something very unusual here: TEA-time!   ;D

I've bought on ebay a so-called USB-meter, because I've learned during my last "Reparier-Bar" engagement in January that I need one of these nice buggers.

I've bought it here, it is called a "USB colour display tester":
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303026038488

It arrived this week and since I know how curious you lot are, here are the pictures:
(sorry, they are a little bit dark, I really need a better camera than the one from my Xperia Z3)

It comes in a nice box, so the plastic surface of the device is well protected in my tool-box:

This is the top plastic cover removed, not so much to see besides the display:

This is the bottom cover removed. It falled apart in two modules: the controller board and the Bluetooth module

This is the Bluetooth module in detail:

Here we have the controller board with the master brain on it:

The controller itself:

And this is how it looks like when it is operating.
I've connected my wireless mouse (Logitech MX anywhere 2) to it (charging mode):

screen 1:
This is the main screen which displays voltage and current drawn,
together with the temperature, charge, internal resistance of the target, energy and power

screen 2:
not sure about this one. It shows again voltage and current but additionally some USB differential(?) voltages
and a Mode thing

screen 3:
This screen shows the charge and energy and the uptime:

screen 4:
not sure about this one, too. Some "Port" information:

screen 5:
This is a nice y/t display which shows voltage and current over time. I like this one. :)

screen 6:
This is the place for the settings / configurations stuff:

And this is the help screen:

Hope you enjoyed this little teardown.

Cheers!
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, med6753, Specmaster, alextwin007

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49181 on: February 08, 2020, 03:20:10 pm »
We’re all abominations in our own special way  >:D

Amen to that.  >:D  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49182 on: February 08, 2020, 03:30:45 pm »
TL/DR: Roku Ultra with JBL Headphones. I just ordered my second one for The Dark Lord Regza.

The problem is not that simple... in order to do 4K (or even plain old 1080P before long) with any of the popular streaming services your player needs to be properly certified for Widevine DRM. Most of your cheap Android players simply do not have this; it costs money and they're just pushing "race to the bottom quick cash grab" tinkertoy POS gear that barely streams anything unless you're willing to put up with the constant updating circle-jerk of KODI.   :palm:

NetFlix uses the same or similar DRM, but they require in-house certification for 2K & 4K streaming. That list is even shorter.

So... to answer your question: NVIDIA ShieldTV or my choice, Roku Ultra with JBL Headphones. I just ordered my second one for The Dark Lord Regza

The headphones (while nice enough for earbuds) are not what's important; it's the large ROM size needed for future DRM firmware updates and especially the bluetooth remote with audio. You can hide the Roku behind the TV, and when you want to watch something inappropriate or very loudly, you can plug in your favorite headphones and not disturb anyone else. Best part, it plays quite nicely with NiMH rechargeables.  :-+ Also, it is the last one that still has hardline & TOSlink ports.  Correction: only 2016 & earlier models still have the TOSlink; they've omitted it in later versions. A-HOLES. You'll have to shop carefully and look for that specifically if you need it.  The Roku Wiki has a rubrik that breaks down all the features.

You CAN have a Roku account without CC info tied to it. This is how I did my account.

Realize that the problems I'm having with getting Dr Who have NOTHING to do with the device... it's the BEEB's fault. Those assholes signed an exclusive contract with fucking HBO's new HBO Max streaming service here in North America... you pretty much can't get ANYTHING BBC anywhere else over here once HBO Max goes balls-deep on deployment. I don't know how in the hell I was still able to get Season 12 through XBOX Live; I don't hold out a lot of hope for anything after that. :-//

mnem

Big thanks for this. I hadn’t looked at Roku. Will do some research  :-+. Think it’s regionally different as well so there’s content differences here as well. Grr.

Yeah, I've used a lot of streaming devices; ANY streamer that comes built into anything else is good for 5 years or less before it becomes abandonware. :palm: I was STILL using my first Roku until we left Houston; it was used when I bought it at a thrift shop in San Antonio 10 years ago and dates back to 2008. I believe it is one of the ones that Roku just now discontinued updating.

I know the Roku Ultra I linked you to to is frightfully expensive; similar prices here in Canada. However, I shopped around and found a refurb 2018 model on Amazon.com (US) that even with import fees was only US$79. A lot of similar deals on eBay as well; just well... with Amazon you get Amazon no-quibble returns and it actually gets to you when they say it will most of the time. Don't be afraid to shop the US site for grins... Last Christmas I bought a pedal car from the UK site because even with international buggery it was still a LOT cheaper than Amazon US. :o

Also, if hardwired is not a must-have (it SHOULD be if you're streaming anything above 720P) there are a number of other models that have the BT remote with headphones; just make sure against the rubrik.

Something else I just noticed... it appears Roku is now also offering both AppleTV and Playstation Vue channels on the Ultra at least; not sure which other models have enough ROM for those bloated islands of dubious content feature-rich channels, but if the fApple ecology is important in your home, the Roku Ultra seems to be your best choice again. :-//

mnem
*abominable teddydwagon*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:25:59 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49183 on: February 08, 2020, 03:32:38 pm »
Fuck smart TVs. They're ALWAYS made with the bare minimum ROM capacity needed to function at the time of deployment, and they ALL stripmine all your personal information... even identity and location... for resale. :palm:

I have a Samsung smart TV. I do not have an associated account at Samsung, so it would be non-trivial (although possible) for them to correlate activity with me.

I've tried to delete numerous "fog of daytime TV channels that I'm never going to watch" from the channel list. It works, only for them to reappear when I turn the TV off and on again.

Naturally nobody at Samsung had a clue as to why that might happen. I suspect the "sometimes worthwhile" channel list is stored on Samsung's servers :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #49184 on: February 08, 2020, 03:33:12 pm »
The classic gear/radio rack re-arranged.  Left room for an amp to the left of the radio.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, bitseeker, med6753, mnementh, Mortymore, FransW

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49185 on: February 08, 2020, 03:42:42 pm »

That reminds me. I was going to ask here. Does anyone know of a decent bit of kit that can stream Netflix and Amazon prime video? A colleague has a fire stick and says it’s a piece of shit and I don’t want Alexa in the house. Nearest thing I can find which is sane is the Apple TV which would work as this is an iOS cult but it’s pretty damn expensive if you get the 4K one and the HD one is near EOL.

I have a fire stick and it works great, both wireless or wired. It's on my "non-smart" 32 inch Samsung. I DON'T use Alexa at all and it won't interfere with operation if you don't activate it. So I wonder what's wrong with his?

I only 2 alternatives that I'm aware of is either buy a smart TV with Amazon Fire built in....or.....a PC and connect a large screen monitor.

Edit....possible 3rd alternative is a smart TV without Amazon Fire and go thru a web browser.

It's more the kids will use it and I don't want Alexa. I've got a non smart TV as well. I don't want to use a smart TV. We bought a Sony smart TV a few years ago and all the useful features were slowly discontinued. It's now a dumb TV for the kids and their Xbox one. Totally useless piece of shit and slow as well.

PC is an option. Gives me an excuse to build a media PC then. Hadn't though of that  :-+ :-DD. Then again that's probably more expensive than an Apple TV  :palm:

It's looking like Apple TV. Plus that has ethernet hole in it so you don't have to rely on the slightly crammed 2.4GHz band around here.
Have you already got an Alexa speaker? If not then the Alexa part of the fire stick will not be activated and in any case, it has no microphone etc in the fire stick, it communicates with the smart speaker which also has the internet connection and the interface with Amazon in it, so no worries about it spying on you.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49186 on: February 08, 2020, 03:54:08 pm »

I've bought on ebay a so-called USB-meter, because I've learned during my last "Reparier-Bar" engagement in January that I need one of these nice buggers.

snip:

Cheers!
Yep, I got in those about 6 months ago, very useful tool to have.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49187 on: February 08, 2020, 03:55:27 pm »
My streaming is limited to Netflix, Prime, and YouTube. I refuse to pay additional for stuff like HBO, Starrs, etc so if they go obsolete on my device it's a don't care. I think it's unlikely over the next few years that the same would happen with the services I do watch. But it's a bet, of course. 

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49188 on: February 08, 2020, 03:56:24 pm »

snip:

Cheers!

Interesting device. First I've heard of it.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49189 on: February 08, 2020, 04:01:45 pm »

snip:

Cheers!

Interesting device. First I've heard of it.  :-+
There you go, fixed it for ya.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:13:03 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49190 on: February 08, 2020, 04:06:50 pm »
I set my countdown timer to when you would post and puke all over it. You did not disappoint.  :P :P :P :-DD

LOL... It's not the INSIGNIA brand  I was on; I used to buy a lot of their stuff open-box and customer-return pallets at auction. I spent a lot of hours elbows-deep in a lot of their consumer electronics gear; I rate the brand overall a solid B- or better. I even kept and used one of their car stereos and one of their surround sound receivers for many years.   :-+  Most is better-than-average Chinese import goods; like I said, they usually rebrand stuff made for the Chinese domestic market and it is better quality. Of course in your case, with an internet-connected device, that means you have no idea whom in the Chinese government the TV is reporting to...  :o

My problem is the built-in streaming device... it will work a for a few years from date of manufacture and that's it; it may not work right out of the box if it is old enough. :scared:

My streaming is limited to Netflix, Prime, and YouTube. I refuse to pay additional for stuff like HBO, Starrs, etc so if they go obsolete on my device it's a don't care. I think it's unlikely over the next few years that the same would happen with the services I do watch. But it's a bet, of course. 

Those are EXACTLY the services that go tits-up first because they are top names and their DRM schemes require large sandboxes to work in (lots of RAM) and large chunks of ROM inside the device. Has happened to me several times with several devices. Yours will be no different. ;)

Myself I wouldn't own anything smaller than 42" for the bedroom; I want to relax and watch from in my bed, not be constantly wanting to sit on the end of it.  That was what I had in mind when I rescued the Dark Lord Regza from the curb in front of a neighbor's house a few months ago; it just took several skirmishes on the bench and resultant several rounds of waiting for the slow boat from China for parts, as I was not willing to gamble more than $40 in parts to resurrect it. Came in just under the wire with a $27 LOW-B board this last round to bring it back online. Here's hoping His Lugubriousness is done tormenting me for a while... *knocks on wood*

New Roku Ultra will be here Friday. In the meantime, I'll just have to suffer with Netflix and XBox Live TV. Oh how will I manage.  :-DD

mnem
*juicy*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49191 on: February 08, 2020, 04:23:46 pm »
Fuck smart TVs. They're ALWAYS made with the bare minimum ROM capacity needed to function at the time of deployment, and they ALL stripmine all your personal information... even identity and location... for resale. :palm:

I have a Samsung smart TV. I do not have an associated account at Samsung, so it would be non-trivial (although possible) for them to correlate activity with me.

I've tried to delete numerous "fog of daytime TV channels that I'm never going to watch" from the channel list. It works, only for them to reappear when I turn the TV off and on again.

Naturally nobody at Samsung had a clue as to why that might happen. I suspect the "sometimes worthwhile" channel list is stored on Samsung's servers :(

Unless you TOR everything on the router level or use some VPN service, there are packet sniffer bots trawling every backbone router and switch in the US that can locate you within a block at least using IP and known public WiFi triangulation. If you've ever bought any programming with anything but a randomized gift card, again some server in China could have your complete identity. ::)

These things are still true with the large name brand products; especially where the streaming device is an afterthought tacked on as a sales gimmick, so IP bought absolutely as cheaply as possible and often dropped in as a mystery jellybean SOIC. This is much less likely with purpose-built streaming boxes as they now have pretty clearly defined TOS that specifically promise otherwise.

mnem
*time to go lick Lara's... wounds.*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:29:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49192 on: February 08, 2020, 05:07:29 pm »
Anyone has any ideas about what to do when windoze (8.1 pro) decides your password isn't your password?

Edit: This is on a clean install, and before you ask, no I didn't make any typos entering the pw
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:15:48 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49193 on: February 08, 2020, 05:21:26 pm »
Yesterday I visited a local CAL LAB in my town that I had not been to in a couple of years.
They had been in their building for 30 some years and moved last summer to a new location.

When they moved, they did not know what to do with 20 m^3 of old test instruments and parts
and took it all to the recycling service.

What a TEA party that could have been.

cretins
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49194 on: February 08, 2020, 05:28:04 pm »
I have an older "semi smart" Samsung TV, but I never use the smart stuff as it all runs at the speed of cold treacle. When I noticed that the TV would sometimes power up all on its own for a while, I sussed that it was trying to talk to the mothership and tell Samsung everything it could about my viewing habits. That was easily fixed by blocking all Internet access for the TV's IP address in my router. It still does its little 30 second power up once in a while, but its entire world view is my local network and that's it.

As I don't use the smart stuff on the TV, I connected a RPi3 to one of the HDMI inputs on my receiver and run LibreELEC and Kodi on the Pi. That can be controlled with the Kodi remote app on my smartphone. All my various films, series and music live on my NAS where the Emby plugin makes it available to other devices and to Kodi on the Pi.

I don't use any streaming services as I find it much simpler and faster to download anything I want to watch from The Pirate Bay. The Bay is (of course) accessed via my VPN connection without any noticeable loss of download speed. Most Netflix stuff is up on the Bay within 48 hours of it coming out on Netflix.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49195 on: February 08, 2020, 05:29:33 pm »
Anyone has any ideas about what to do when windoze (8.1 pro) decides your password isn't your password?

Edit: This is on a clean install, and before you ask, no I didn't make any typos entering the pw

Insert a USB key containing the installer for Linux Mint. Boot from it. Install it.

Pour yourself a cold beer and enjoy an operating system which isn't reporting everything you do back to Microsoft so that they can monetise you.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: WastelandTek

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49196 on: February 08, 2020, 05:30:05 pm »

This has saved me, so proven to work: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-reset-a-windows-8-password-2626230
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49197 on: February 08, 2020, 05:32:39 pm »
Unfortunately I really can't get along with linux, and some of the software I use doesn't like it either.

EDIT: The bizarre thing is, I didn't forget or mistype the pw. Further, if I restart the pc, the pw works. Also I have some resolution issues, some apps recognise the 1920x1080, some don't, which causes some odd results...

I had this issue before, and decided to use a fresh SSD and a clean install to try and get rid of it, but it's back right away. I really want to throw the whole fkking lot out the window at this point...

Right now I really don't know what to try next; this issue has followed me across motherboards, HDD/SSDs, video cards. Am I cursed?
 :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:44:54 pm by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49198 on: February 08, 2020, 06:06:24 pm »

Insert a USB key containing the installer for Linux Mint. Boot from it. Install it.

Pour yourself a cold beer and enjoy an operating system which isn't reporting everything you do back to Microsoft so that they can monetise you.

My job is almost entirely Linux based. I am certified RHCA. I still use Windows 10. Go figure  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49199 on: February 08, 2020, 06:11:57 pm »

Just a thought, but if its a clean install then surely it won't have a password set just yet unless you have set it already
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf