Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17733033 times)

Vince, RolandK and 108 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49150 on: February 08, 2020, 02:50:57 am »

I think he means "the virus cannot live without people or animals",  that is, it can't live outside a host, at least for very long.

I agree, you get a sense of the Google translate chinglish after a while.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49151 on: February 08, 2020, 05:23:34 am »
In case anyone is interested......I'll log into Discord Saturday at 2100 UTC (I guess that's early Sunday AM for OZ/NZ).

Please join if you can for I fear the dragon may stalk me.   :o :-DD
You might just be lucky, he could still be chasing first girlfriend around on his X-box  :-DD :-DD

One can only hope.  >:D :-DD

Donchoo knowwittt!  :-DD   I was up til 3AM; Even the boi is jelly...  >:D

I had forgotten just how capable a little entertainment center these things are. It still has current apps for Netflix, Amazon Video, and HULU. I'm still trying to make it connect to the Canadian Amazon Video servers, but that's the ONLY thing it doesn't do; I might not need a Roku for the Dark Lord Regza I just resurrected...  :o

mnem
Haven't had a gamer hangover like this in years... :palm:
I think you should have a son - father chat and explain to him that very few women in real life have figures or dress like Lara does before he get as infatuated as you have with her.  >:D :P :-DD

That's the joy of Lara; just like Sweet Alice no matter how long it's been or how crusty, old & hoary you've grown... She's always down with another roll in the pixels for old times' sake.  >:D

In Related News...

While attempting to connect to Amazon Video Canada has been a complete dog's breakfast... The XBox has already justified it's existence in that it has provided access to Season 12 of Dr Who for me; something none of my other streaming devices was willing to put out.   :-+

Definitely worth the $34 just for that, even if I do have to navigate the player with a game controller.  :-DD

mnem
*goes to lie down before I fall down*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49152 on: February 08, 2020, 07:43:16 am »
Trawling evilbay over a Beer as one does  :popcorn: No need to even photoshop the pics

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:45:42 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49153 on: February 08, 2020, 09:01:56 am »
My daughter had an HP300s calculator. The blue one. It’s a generic Kinpo made thing. Same OS as the new TI and Casio things but with more bugs and worse keys.

Edit: Considering buying this perch. Can’t see any reason not too. It’s an earlier variant with the removable arms https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283752173329
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:08:26 am by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49154 on: February 08, 2020, 09:12:36 am »
In case anyone is interested......I'll log into Discord Saturday at 2100 UTC (I guess that's early Sunday AM for OZ/NZ).

Please join if you can for I fear the dragon may stalk me.   :o :-DD
You might just be lucky, he could still be chasing first girlfriend around on his X-box  :-DD :-DD

One can only hope.  >:D :-DD

Donchoo knowwittt!  :-DD   I was up til 3AM; Even the boi is jelly...  >:D

I had forgotten just how capable a little entertainment center these things are. It still has current apps for Netflix, Amazon Video, and HULU. I'm still trying to make it connect to the Canadian Amazon Video servers, but that's the ONLY thing it doesn't do; I might not need a Roku for the Dark Lord Regza I just resurrected...  :o

mnem
Haven't had a gamer hangover like this in years... :palm:
I think you should have a son - father chat and explain to him that very few women in real life have figures or dress like Lara does before he get as infatuated as you have with her.  >:D :P :-DD

That's the joy of Lara; just like Sweet Alice no matter how long it's been or how crusty, old & hoary you've grown... She's always down with another roll in the pixels for old times' sake.  >:D

In Related News...

While attempting to connect to Amazon Video Canada has been a complete dog's breakfast... The XBox has already justified it's existence in that it has provided access to Season 12 of Dr Who for me; something none of my other streaming devices was willing to put out.   :-+

Definitely worth the $34 just for that, even if I do have to navigate the player with a game controller.  :-DD

mnem

That reminds me. I was going to ask here. Does anyone know of a decent bit of kit that can stream Netflix and Amazon prime video? A colleague has a fire stick and says it’s a piece of shit and I don’t want Alexa in the house. Nearest thing I can find which is sane is the Apple TV which would work as this is an iOS cult but it’s pretty damn expensive if you get the 4K one and the HD one is near EOL.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49155 on: February 08, 2020, 09:17:55 am »
I was at my local big box hardware the other day.  The PPE section looks like something out of Venezuela.  They were limiting mask purchases to 10 per customer.

Yeah there’s a big warning on RS front page about PPE and hand gels being out of stock. This caused a bit of a problem for my neighbour who does office refits. He said they can’t even get basic protective stuff for cutting wood etc  :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49156 on: February 08, 2020, 09:32:27 am »
Take the item for sale apply with force to the temple of the seller  ::) eBay auction: #163834156604 Worth the $35 pesos to pick it up and do it in person >:D

Fall back item from the same seller and should be used in the same way  :palm: eBay auction: #163842507053

The Aussie TEA options are in the toilet......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49157 on: February 08, 2020, 10:04:49 am »
Trawling evilbay over a Beer as one does  :popcorn: No need to even photoshop the pics (Attachment Link)

They even come a complete set of keys i.e. the = key  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49158 on: February 08, 2020, 10:10:57 am »
aka "abominations"  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49159 on: February 08, 2020, 10:23:24 am »
Take the item for sale apply with force to the temple of the seller  ::) eBay auction: #163834156604 Worth the $35 pesos to pick it up and do it in person >:D

Fall back item from the same seller and should be used in the same way  :palm: eBay auction: #163842507053

The Aussie TEA options are in the toilet......
:wtf:, its just a normal claw hammer but gone rusty. Mind you through, you have to admire his creativity with both description and valuation  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49160 on: February 08, 2020, 10:33:50 am »
Yesterday I visited a local CAL LAB in my town that I had not been to in a couple of years.
They had been in their building for 30 some years and moved last summer to a new location.

When they moved, they did not know what to do with 20 m^3 of old test instruments and parts
and took it all to the recycling service.

What a TEA party that could have been.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49161 on: February 08, 2020, 10:47:33 am »
Ohh man that is almost criminal, could have been some nice gems amongst that lot as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49162 on: February 08, 2020, 10:47:43 am »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Specmaster, alextwin007

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49163 on: February 08, 2020, 10:56:15 am »
Ebay is picking up again, just bagged myself one these, completely unopposed, now I'm wondering if that is a good thing or bad, time will tell.

Edit: I just noticed, this is my 8,000 post.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, grizewald

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49164 on: February 08, 2020, 11:08:25 am »
My daughter had an HP300s calculator. The blue one. ...

@ Home, we all have one HP 300s... emulator  ::)

When doing some math homework on the computer, my son prefer to use the emulator than the real calculator.
I only use HP emulators when the real thing is not near by, or if I don't own the real thing.
I've been thinking about a Prime for ages, but it would be more a PCA* thing.

*PCA = Pocket Calculator Addiction   >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49165 on: February 08, 2020, 11:12:07 am »
Prime looks pretty nice but it's derive from the HP38/39 series rather than the RPL machines which puts me off.

I've got an HP35s here which is the daily driver and I used an HP50g for many years. The 50g was super nice. It was a fully blown computer and development platform rather than a calculator. But keeping the entire machine model in your head was difficult unlike the 35s.

I've had a few calculators over the years: Casio FX-83, 85, 7000, 4000F, 991MS, 991EX, 991EXPLUS, 991EX, 7000G, 9850G, TI 80,81,82,83,85,86,92,nSpire,nSpire CAS, HP 48SX,GX,50,33s,35s plus some I'm sure I've forgotten  :-DD. 35s is about right.

Edit: Honestly most of the time I use LibreOffice calc, SymPy and formerly mathematica (basically until I couldn't find someone else to pay for it  :-DD)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:15:26 am by bd139 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49166 on: February 08, 2020, 11:30:42 am »
My old Calcs are in a box somewhere an App called RealCalc on the phone does what I need including a good range of conversions and LibreCalc on the PC's for the rest. I don't miss the tactile buttons or feel the need to feed yet another handheld device batteries. As for people who collect ancient electronic devices and keep them propped up to use they are clearly nuts  :-DD

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49167 on: February 08, 2020, 11:45:48 am »
I have a few calculator myself, more than I need, indeed.

But when I really needed a good calculator, first I had a CASIO FX-880P but it was not a graphing calculator, as it would suited me better. So later I moved to an HP48G but having only 32Kb I was regularly running short of memory.  :palm:

I miss my high-school calculator though, CASIO FX-1000f, 'cause I don't know were it is.
I was always the 1st to have the Kirchhoff calculation done with that CASIO.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49168 on: February 08, 2020, 12:06:43 pm »

That reminds me. I was going to ask here. Does anyone know of a decent bit of kit that can stream Netflix and Amazon prime video? A colleague has a fire stick and says it’s a piece of shit and I don’t want Alexa in the house. Nearest thing I can find which is sane is the Apple TV which would work as this is an iOS cult but it’s pretty damn expensive if you get the 4K one and the HD one is near EOL.

I have a fire stick and it works great, both wireless or wired. It's on my "non-smart" 32 inch Samsung. I DON'T use Alexa at all and it won't interfere with operation if you don't activate it. So I wonder what's wrong with his?

I only 2 alternatives that I'm aware of is either buy a smart TV with Amazon Fire built in....or.....a PC and connect a large screen monitor.

Edit....possible 3rd alternative is a smart TV without Amazon Fire and go thru a web browser.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:11:15 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49169 on: February 08, 2020, 12:10:35 pm »

we are in agreement.    so why do i want them?
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49170 on: February 08, 2020, 12:35:59 pm »

I have a fire stick and it works great, both wireless or wired. It's on my "non-smart" 32 inch Samsung. I DON'T use Alexa at all and it won't interfere with operation if you don't activate it. So I wonder what's wrong with his?

I only 2 alternatives that I'm aware of is either buy a smart TV with Amazon Fire built in....or.....a PC and connect a large screen monitor.

Edit....possible 3rd alternative is a smart TV without Amazon Fire and go thru a web browser.

It's more the kids will use it and I don't want Alexa. I've got a non smart TV as well. I don't want to use a smart TV. We bought a Sony smart TV a few years ago and all the useful features were slowly discontinued. It's now a dumb TV for the kids and their Xbox one. Totally useless piece of shit and slow as well.

PC is an option. Gives me an excuse to build a media PC then. Hadn't though of that  :-+ :-DD. Then again that's probably more expensive than an Apple TV  :palm:

It's looking like Apple TV. Plus that has ethernet hole in it so you don't have to rely on the slightly crammed 2.4GHz band around here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49171 on: February 08, 2020, 12:36:42 pm »

I would suggest you are an abomination too then  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49172 on: February 08, 2020, 01:25:32 pm »
In Related News...

mnem

TL/DR: Roku Ultra with JBL Headphones. I just ordered my second one for The Dark Lord Regza.

The problem is not that simple... in order to do 4K (or even plain old 1080P before long) with any of the popular streaming services your player needs to be properly certified for Widevine DRM. Most of your cheap Android players simply do not have this; it costs money and they're just pushing "race to the bottom quick cash grab" tinkertoy POS gear that barely streams anything unless you're willing to put up with the constant updating circle-jerk of KODI.   :palm:

NetFlix uses the same or similar DRM, but they require in-house certification for 2K & 4K streaming. That list is even shorter.

So... to answer your question: NVIDIA ShieldTV or my choice, Roku Ultra with JBL Headphones. I just ordered my second one for The Dark Lord Regza

The headphones (while nice enough for earbuds) are not what's important; it's the large ROM size needed for future DRM firmware updates and especially the bluetooth remote with audio. You can hide the Roku behind the TV, and when you want to watch something inappropriate or very loudly, you can plug in your favorite headphones and not disturb anyone else. Best part, it plays quite nicely with NiMH rechargeables.  :-+ Also, it is the last one that still has hardline & TOSlink ports.  Correction: only 2016 & earlier models still have the TOSlink; they've omitted it in later versions. A-HOLES. You'll have to shop carefully and look for that specifically if you need it.  The Roku Wiki has a rubrik that breaks down all the features.

You CAN have a Roku account without CC info tied to it. This is how I did my account.

Realize that the problems I'm having with getting Dr Who have NOTHING to do with the device... it's the BEEB's fault. Those assholes signed an exclusive contract with fucking HBO's new HBO Max streaming service here in North America... you pretty much can't get ANYTHING BBC anywhere else over here once HBO Max goes balls-deep on deployment. I don't know how in the hell I was still able to get Season 12 through XBOX Live; I don't hold out a lot of hope for anything after that. :-//

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49173 on: February 08, 2020, 01:33:14 pm »

I would suggest you are an abomination too then  :-DD

well that was hurtful.

at first it sent me into denial.... "no, he really didn't say that?"

then it made me angry.... "that wanker called me a name!"

fell into bargaining next.....  "maybe he didn't mean it, and will take it back if asked"

minutes later the depression stuck.....  "oh woe is me, would a mini stroopwaffle make me feel better?"

finally I reached acceptance.....   "hey, ol penis fingers just might be right after all"

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49174 on: February 08, 2020, 01:44:46 pm »
We’re all abominations in our own special way  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf