Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919664 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48875 on: February 04, 2020, 11:29:10 pm »

Currently in middle of Ikea in Wembley at the moment. Need some more bits to organise my shit. Yes I was that bored  :-DD

Saw this -

Ikea announces first big UK store closure

Ikea has announced that it will shut down its Coventry city centre store this summer, in its first big closure of a UK outlet.

The Swedish flat-pack furniture giant said the store had made "consistent losses" since it opened in 2007, with fewer people visiting it than expected.

It said it would be consulting the 352 workers affected and would try to find them jobs at other stores.

The Usdaw union said it was "devastating news" for staff.

Ikea, which has 22 stores in the UK, said that it remained committed to growth in the UK.

It said the Coventry site, which cost it £35m, had been built in the city centre as one of its earliest examples of testing a new format to meet customers' changing needs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51369413
Yeah, it's a bad location for the store, they always seem to thrive further out of the main drags, on a retail park or even industrial estates seem to be where they do best, bigger car parks I guess might be a key factor. Every time I go the local one at Thurrock, the car is really massive and is pretty much rammed and if you are really lucky during daytime Mon-Fri you might be able to park around the edges of the car park.

It’s also Coventry which is a shit hole of a place. I know someone who moved from Coventry to Feltham because it was better  :-DD.  Ikea at Wembley was rammed even though it was 9pm when I actually got there. Anyway back now, storage sorted, cable management ready for monitor arm tomorrow and I have a massive bag of Daims which I will hide from the kids and fail to eat one a day which was the plan when I bought them  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48876 on: February 04, 2020, 11:34:33 pm »

SNIP:

It’s also Coventry which is a shit hole of a place. I know someone who moved from Coventry to Feltham because it was better  :-DD.  Ikea at Wembley was rammed even though it was 9pm when I actually got there. Anyway back now, storage sorted, cable management ready for monitor arm tomorrow and I have a massive bag of Daims which I will hide from the kids and fail to eat one a day which was the plan when I bought them  :-DD
Hmm, Daims sound a bit like Toblerones, might have to try then next time I go there  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48877 on: February 04, 2020, 11:44:41 pm »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48878 on: February 04, 2020, 11:50:14 pm »
Couldn't possibly eat a whole one of those. :-DD

Edit. Why don't you make them, they look easy enough  8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:58:34 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48879 on: February 05, 2020, 12:30:13 am »
I can't stand Ikea stores, I find the short cuts through - if I have to go there. Harumph

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48880 on: February 05, 2020, 12:34:13 am »
And while I'm posting YouBoob links, Chris Rock on the subject of Racism and the N word:

Edited to add:

Parental Advisory: About every third word is NSFW, it's very funny, be prepared to explain what you're laughing at without using language that will get you a divorce and your children taken into care if it's quoted out of context.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:41:40 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #48881 on: February 05, 2020, 02:38:47 am »
Jeezus H. Christ a-hoppin' on a pogo stick... a dozen scrap PCBs in the junk closet already, and not a damn one with a "normal" N-Gate MOSFET or NPN power transistor I can identify.  |O

I'm gonna have to go almost downtown to an actual electronics store and BUY some fucking 2328As or IRFZxxs for this stupid little 500mA switch I'm trying to knock together... >:(

mnem
grr. arrg.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #48882 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:20 am »
Consider yourself lucky to still have an Electronics store with components. Nearest one is 2 1/2-3 hours away :'( This is why I have 'more stuff' that others don't understand why >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48883 on: February 05, 2020, 02:50:16 am »
Jeezus H. Christ a-hoppin' on a pogo stick... a dozen scrap PCBs in the junk closet already, and not a damn one with a "normal" N-Gate MOSFET or NPN power transistor I can identify.  |O

I'm gonna have to go almost downtown to an actual electronics store and BUY some fucking 2328As or IRFZxxs for this stupid little 500mA switch I'm trying to knock together... >:(

mnem
grr. arrg.

what is this "actual electronics store" you speak of??
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48884 on: February 05, 2020, 03:05:11 am »

mnem
grr. arrg.

what is this "actual electronics store" you speak of??

Ditto.  :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48885 on: February 05, 2020, 03:17:12 am »
Used to have....

Lafayette Radio. They went bust in 1981. They had great stuff including an audio room for demo'ing stereo equipment.

A local place called Greylock Electronics. Also disappeared in the 1980's.

And of course, Radio Shack.

Edit....the Sony ICF-5500W you see in the background of many of my pictures came from Lafayette Radio. And I still have a number of their catalogs.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:19:31 am by med6753 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48886 on: February 05, 2020, 03:23:47 am »
I used the term VERY loosely...  :palm: They're somewhere between a Red Ten and pre-Tandy Radio Shack: www.sayal.com

That said; I found the driver PCB from a CFL bulb in the bottom of a box; it has some BV32s on it. A little overkill voltage-wise, but should be plenty to switch a 80mm fan if they aren't leaky as hell from the hard life they lived...

mnem
*back to the bench*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:25:29 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48887 on: February 05, 2020, 03:28:02 am »
I used the term VERY loosely...  :palm: They're somewhere between a Red Ten and pre-Tandy Radio Shack: www.sayal.com

That said; I found the driver PCB from a CFL bulb in the bottom of a box; it has some BV32s on it. A little overkill voltage-wise, but should be plenty to switch a 80mm fan if they aren't leaky as hell from the hard life they lived...

mnem
*back to the bench*

Quick look at their site appears to be mostly surplus crap.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48888 on: February 05, 2020, 04:46:19 am »
Sawdust and Sunshine and the Sun is now over the Yardarm. Feeling for the Wage Slaves on a Tuesday really I am  >:D

Ripping some Spotted Gum decking to rebuild some Garden Furniture.

On Topic someone else buy this so I don't have to. eBay auction: #392581278886 It would go really well with Dotty the HP 5000 series counter but like Dotty largely sit on the shelf underused :palm: Same seller has a nice lot of other gear up for grabs too.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #48889 on: February 05, 2020, 06:18:17 am »
I remember giving an American poster on a different forum a very hard time about trying to re-spell laser with a z. He didn't particularly like me pointing out how brain damaged "lazer" is.  :-DD

Especially since "laser" originates from "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation". Maybe he thought it was generated from ztimulated emizzion of radiation. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48890 on: February 05, 2020, 06:19:14 am »
Unless you are in Texas where "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all".

exactly! thank you for finally addressing the singular/plural issue wrt y'all.  :-DD

Everything's bigger in Texas, including the plurals. ^-^

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48891 on: February 05, 2020, 06:46:12 am »

I'm totally going to go shop that clock RIGHT NOW!!!  :-DD

It is a pretty cool clock. :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48892 on: February 05, 2020, 06:49:57 am »

mnem
*back to the bench*

Quick look at their site appears to be mostly surplus crap.

Naaahhh... they have lots of tools, as well as all the crap your typical alarm/AV-HT/SOHO Network Cabling installer would need, as well as a good assortment of discrete components and some common semis. Just do a product search for different classes of components (like zener, for example) and you'll see what I mean. What they advertise is the closeout crap they got cheap; trying to get normal folks in the doors.

After futzing around making my little switch PCB and finding the low beta of the BV32s meant base current was high enough to be disruptive to the control circuit,  |O  I had a double-take and realized that the EASY solution was just to drop a 78xx across the switched 20V rail on the thing and put it under a screw on the PCB.  :palm:

I've got a 7808 handy; it offers the added benefit of dropping minimum RPM on the 80mm thermal-controlled fan to silent operation levels. Gonna let the beast cook overnight, see if I can catch the fan cycling on in the AM.

*shakes brain like a magic 8-ball*

HEY...! Brain cell that came up with the 7808 idea! WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU 4 hours ago...?

[ SIGNS POINT TO GO FUCK YOURSELF ]

Dammit... even my own brain has to fuck with my head... :o

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:13:39 am by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48893 on: February 05, 2020, 06:57:32 am »
Nice interpretation of "surface mount," mnem.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48894 on: February 05, 2020, 07:00:54 am »
LOL! :-DD

Just good ol' empirical engineering at work. ;)

mnem
I AM the role of failure in design.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #48895 on: February 05, 2020, 07:32:36 am »
And in 2 hours I have two of them and the problem solved with off the shelf crap I have. Again thanks to everyone who promoted this amazing tech :D

FUUUUU my wife stopped my Ender 5 toy upgrade, we used the money for a new mattress.
PS: Once we will settle into the new apartment the Ender will walk in too, I promise

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:52:34 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48896 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:26 am »
It has begun. It’ll be cushions next.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48897 on: February 05, 2020, 07:41:32 am »
Buy the printer and sleep in the Dog House no need for a new Mattress then   :-DD However  :( for you.....

Meanwhile get your CAD hat on and design some stuff in advance. Finally got around to the Champher Cutter I designed ages ago. Printed and works like I imagined it would  ;D

Pre, Post and the Left Handed version .
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:47:05 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #48898 on: February 05, 2020, 07:48:53 am »
Stop posting awesome 3D printed stuff...

I want to kill myself.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48899 on: February 05, 2020, 07:54:52 am »
Stop posting awesome 3D printed stuff...

I want to kill myself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarco_device

Need a 3D printer first  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf