Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16922229 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48850 on: February 04, 2020, 07:43:24 pm »
sounds to me like y'all have entirely too much government

I don't know what "y'all" means.

The pronouns "I" and "we" are singular and plural forms, respectively. However, "you" can refer to either singular or plural. In some regions of the US, an explicit plural form of "you" is used for clarity (or style). "Y'all," a contraction of "you" and "all" is one such plural form of "you" that is used more in the South than other regions.

Example: When you met up with them, what did y'all decide to do for fun?

"Y'all" makes it clearer that the decision was made by the group, not the individual who met with them.
Unless you are in Texas where "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all".

That's because of the unspoken exclusionary connotative (often racist) value in that context; it refers specifically to some group "other" than the self. It is so ingrained that many Texans will quite innocently use it as if that pejorative nature were inclusive; the same way some black folks will call each other "ni***". White people are just six kinds of fu'tt inna 'ead. :palm:

I was looking for binding post on Taobao (Chinese site). The title of this listing got my attention. Not sure if it's a problem with google translate or Taobao search engine. A mix of both ? :-DD

She's skinny compared to a large portion of the American population. Send her to McDonald's.  ::) ;D

"Plus-Sized Seamless Down Jacket; traditional styling".  Really not THAT hard to translate.  :-DD

I'm totally going to go shop that clock RIGHT NOW!!!  :-DD

mnem
*currrently doing battle with the dark lord Regza*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48851 on: February 04, 2020, 07:47:25 pm »
Be very careful mounting sockets upside down like that, it can be dangerous as you cannot see what you are doing if the block is under the bench top. Now with standard 13A UK plugs it is not quite so bad but consider that there are still loads of plug tops connected to equipment that do not have the sleeved live and neutral pins fitted because the equipment is old. I that case it can be possible to gain contact with the pins as the plug is being inserted by your fingers. This is also true for our friends over the pond. Personally I would never recommend doing that, the sockets, block etc., should always be located where you can see what you are doing.

I have seen some cheaper plugs such as screwfix ones for example where, the actual plug cover detaches itself from the base of the base, leaving live connections exposed when you're groping about out of sight looking to plug something in or to unplug something and bang you get bitten badly, far worse than any Rifa cap built into the IEC inlet of gear. >:D >:D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:50:31 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48852 on: February 04, 2020, 07:50:29 pm »
I use a load of these little chappies, very handy for controlling what equipment is switched on and avoids wasting energy.  :-+  https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/plugtop-switched/dp/PL10037?st=plug

Novel and potentially interesting. Second thought is "is it well made"?

Looks at datasheet... 14A with a temperature rise of <53C. Low power stuff only!

Personally I'm content with a 10way switched flying lead for my test bench, plus RCD.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48853 on: February 04, 2020, 07:53:04 pm »
Agreed, its really going south with the rudder jammed up, need some 3 in One oil to fix it it  :-DD
At a certain point in Internet history that would have been the cue for a well disguised and placed goatse or rickroll the break the momentum.  :)

mnem
NSFW...? But still so VERY wrong...  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: grizewald, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48854 on: February 04, 2020, 07:55:32 pm »
Be very careful mounting sockets upside down like that, it can be dangerous as you cannot see what you are doing if the block is under the bench top. Now with standard 13A UK plugs it is not quite so bad but consider that there are still loads of plug tops connected to equipment that do not have the sleeved live and neutral pins fitted because the equipment is old. I that case it can be possible to gain contact with the pins as the plug is being inserted by your fingers. This is also true for our friends over the pond. Personally I would never recommend doing that, the sockets, block etc., should always be located where you can see what you are doing.

I have seen some cheaper plugs such as screwfix ones for example where, the actual plug cover detaches itself from the base of the base, leaving live connections exposed when you're groping about out of sight looking to plug something in or to unplug something and bang you get bitten badly, far worse than any Rifa cap built into the IEC inlet of gear. >:D >:D

Yeah shouldn't be a problem here - been there and know of that risk  :scared:. There are two blocks on the bench. There's a static one (this one) and a trailing one. The static one is 100% hard wired (PC, monitor, lighting, printer, 2xchargers) and there are no unsleeved pins in my place at all. I eviscerate those infernal things on sight. The block is a Brennestuhl switched unit. The trailing unit is the correct way up and is only used when in sight :-+

As for the screwfix ones they are better than the really old MK ones. One drop and they crack and you grab them and the remains fall off. I think the failure mode is probably over-tightening the main screw on the screwfix ones.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 07:58:04 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48855 on: February 04, 2020, 08:00:11 pm »
I use a load of these little chappies, very handy for controlling what equipment is switched on and avoids wasting energy.  :-+  https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/plugtop-switched/dp/PL10037?st=plug

Novel and potentially interesting. Second thought is "is it well made"?

Looks at datasheet... 14A with a temperature rise of <53C. Low power stuff only!

Personally I'm content with a 10way switched flying lead for my test bench, plus RCD.
Oh yes they are perfectly fine for the type of equipment we have on our benches. The whole idea is to fit one to each piece of kit so that you can control what is being powered. It is very handy when you have multiple devices all powered via a single switch on an extension lead with say 6 sockets on it and your only using 1 bit of kit. Equally, useful on kit which has the power switch at the rear, as long as the socket is reachable, then the switch at the rear of the kit is left ON and then by using the plug switch you have in effect a front mounted power button except single pole.

I would not ever advocate using those plugs for more than 5A because of the termination space inside the plug for larger cables and the heat rise.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48856 on: February 04, 2020, 08:06:19 pm »
@bd, yes that is the failure mode for a lot of plug tops, over tightening the screw can eventually lead to the top fracturing and breaking off and leaving exposed terminals (I have seen this type of failure all to often) and the other is where the thread gets stripped and then when you go to pull the plug out, the cover can then be pulled off and leave the base inserted in the socket, again exposing live terminals.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48857 on: February 04, 2020, 08:12:10 pm »
Given the current state of affairs around the good Earth a better, more universal, translation for "surprise" should be "oh shit".  :-DD

"merde'..." Actually heard in public just a few days ago... with Picard's perfect inflection and exasperation. :-DD I swear, I was ONLY an observer; in NO WAY involved in the incident!!!  ;)

To quote my immediate colleague using Visual Studio this morning. He was presented with the usual crash dialog box. That sort of parallels everything these days: "Shitting fuckity bollocks it!"

One on my favorites is known as "The Shit Litany"; just the word spoken over and over in fast succession: shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit...! Best enjoyed when done loudly (by someone else) while running away from something, and repeated for long enough to note Doppler Effect...  :-DD

Alternately, my mother's favorite general purpose cuss litany was "ass-crap-hell-fart-gawddamn-shit-piss-corruption"; she'd just rattle it off machinegun tempo without warning, and be done before the first word sunk in your head. By the time you got around to looking at her, she'd already be doing the whole "Who, me...?"    thing...  >:D

mnem
*fuck-witty*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:23:59 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48858 on: February 04, 2020, 08:15:39 pm »
@bd, yes that is the failure mode for a lot of plug tops, over tightening the screw can eventually lead to the top fracturing and breaking off and leaving exposed terminals (I have seen this type of failure all to often) and the other is where the thread gets stripped and then when you go to pull the plug out, the cover can then be pulled off and leave the base inserted in the socket, again exposing live terminals.

Actually I'm looking at what's plugged in and it's all moulded stuff so not a problem anyway here. If I have to replace a mains lead i usually cannibalise a standard IEC lead with moulded plug or add an IEC socket these days.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48859 on: February 04, 2020, 08:19:02 pm »
the same way some black folks will call each other "ni***". White people are just six kinds of fu'tt inna 'ead. :palm:

Don't ever call the Lady Copper that. She will kick your ass from here to Tuesday and possibly Wednesday for good measure. And she strongly dislikes black folks calling each other that yet her grand kids do it all the time and it pisses her off.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48860 on: February 04, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »
Behind chaos there is order. You only have to see it and that only occurs when you got it.  International standards relieve us from myopic routes, thus adding to the chaos.

May I kindly point you to my footer?  :-DD

That is why I put it in that way. Your footer attracted my attention.   There is a Eureka moment hidden behind the footer.   By the way, did you test the PM counter upgrade yet?

Regards, Frans
No, not yet. I've ordered yesterday the 3GHz prescaler from forum fellow Jadew and today an Efratom LPRO-101 10MHz Rubidium frequency normal.
As soon as I'll have all parts, I'll put an update here in the TEA forum.   Right now, the only "good" frequency generator I have is the one in my RTB2004.  ;)  :-/O

I'm open for suggestions for a good universal signal generator up to 3GHz.   I have an eye on a very nice AWG in the bay, but I need to have the money first. :)

"Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so." Therefore your timebase is a complete figment as well.  :-DD

If you guys could understand my language, there is soo much freedom of choice in Italian cussing...   Ah... the hands are very important too to get the concept properly explained....   I couldn't find anything comparable on this planet.

Oh definitely. The area I live in has a very large Italian American population. And even though they are 2 or 3 generations removed from the mother country they seem to have 2 things in common... You can always tell you are coming to an Italian house because they either have a statue of St Augustine, St Francis, or the Virgin in their yard. Second.....yes, they use many of the same gestures in English. Kinda funny to watch.  :-DD

And third....Italian women, passionate and when they get mad they throw things....far!  :o :-DD

My mother used to say the best (and possibly only) way to shut up an Italian is to tie their hands behind their back.  >:D

mnem
 :o

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48861 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:35 pm »

Actually I'm looking at what's plugged in and it's all moulded stuff so not a problem anyway here. If I have to replace a mains lead i usually cannibalise a standard IEC lead with moulded plug or add an IEC socket these days.
Thats good to hear, but its a trap that I suspect more people fall into that would be willing to admit it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:36:40 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48862 on: February 04, 2020, 08:36:15 pm »
the same way some black folks will call each other "ni***". White people are just six kinds of fu'tt inna 'ead. :palm:
Don't ever call the Lady Copper that. She will kick your ass from here to Tuesday and possibly Wednesday for good measure. And she strongly dislikes black folks calling each other that yet her grand kids do it all the time and it pisses her off.  :palm:

Why would you even go there...? I wouldn't... ever. And I don't for one moment believe anyone in here would either. :-//

I was specifically using it as an example of just how ignorant white folks can be about the nature of racism. :palm:

mnem
*dwagon-ist motherfucker*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:39:23 pm by mnementh »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48863 on: February 04, 2020, 08:52:31 pm »
A couple of months ago, I picked up a crate of tubes filled with ICs. I bought it for the tube of DS1220AB NVRAMs (14) and got the rest of the stuff along with it. Yesterday decided to sort the tubes out and see what I have.  Part of the end result:

In that pile are approximately 1500 AM27SO3PC SRAM ICs and 450 AM25LS2521 comparators.  Those are the big piles. There are also a couple hundred 7474s and 7473s and smaller numbers of various PALs and TTL logic. The smaller piles I can use around here. The bigger piles, what do I do with them?

The NSN vendors sell the 27S03 at insane prices but even on ebay they seem to go for three or four bucks each; the comparators have similar value. It seems like a lot of money but I have no interest in becoming an ebay parts vendor, so what do I do with them?  Does anyone know anyone that buys this kind of stuff?   
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #48864 on: February 04, 2020, 09:07:08 pm »
If you guys could understand my language, there is soo much freedom of choice in italian cussing...
Ah... the hands are very important too to get the concept properly explanied....

I couldn't find anything comparable on this planet.

Oh definitely. The area I live in has a very large Italian American population. And even though they are 2 or 3 generations removed from the mother country they seem to have 2 things in common.....

You can always tell you are coming to an Italian house because they either have a statue of St Augustine, St Francis, or the Virgin in their yard. Second.....yes, they use many of the same gestures in English. Kinda funny to watch.  :-DD

And third....Italian women, passionate and when they get mad they throw things....far!  :o :-DD

Not all houses.  I'm second gen and the house that I grew up in had no statuary outside, or inside for that matter.  No comment on the hand gestures, no comment at all.  In my neighborhood, a lot of those gestures would be accompanied by a shouted Ah Fongool!  Fuggeddaboudit.  My dearly departed mother never had to throw things.  She had "THE LOOK"  She wouldn't say a thing, her eyes would get big and the nostrils on her Roman nose would flair out to the size of the business end of a lupara.  Even if I wasn't looking at her at the time, I could feel "THE LOOK" on the back of my neck.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48865 on: February 04, 2020, 09:08:47 pm »

Why would you even go there...? I wouldn't... ever. And I don't for one moment believe anyone in here would either. :-//

I was specifically using it as an example of just how ignorant white folks can be about the nature of racism. :palm:

mnem
*dwagon-ist motherfucker*

Her and I have had many discussions on the use of that word. One of the discussions is why is it acceptable for black folks to call each other that? Answer...it's almost a term of endearment but none the less she doesn't like it. But of course if a white person uses that word all hell breaks loose. A double standard.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48866 on: February 04, 2020, 09:11:40 pm »

Thats good to hear, but its a trap that I suspect more people fall into that would be willing to admit it.

Indeed. Joys of evolving standards.

Currently in middle of Ikea in Wembley at the moment. Need some more bits to organise my shit. Yes I was that bored  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #48867 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:51 pm »
The NSN vendors sell the 27S03 at insane prices but even on ebay they seem to go for three or four bucks each; the comparators have similar value. It seems like a lot of money but I have no interest in becoming an ebay parts vendor, so what do I do with them?  Does anyone know anyone that buys this kind of stuff?

They may sell, but in what volume?

Why not sell them on fleabay to the parts vendors?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #48868 on: February 04, 2020, 10:10:02 pm »
I can't stand Ikea stores, I find the short cuts through - if I have to go there. Harumph
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48869 on: February 04, 2020, 10:18:28 pm »
Her and I have had many discussions on the use of that word. One of the discussions is why is it acceptable for black folks to call each other that? Answer...it's almost a term of endearment but none the less she doesn't like it. But of course if a white person uses that word all hell breaks loose. A double standard.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #48870 on: February 04, 2020, 10:19:22 pm »

Currently in middle of Ikea in Wembley at the moment. Need some more bits to organise my shit. Yes I was that bored  :-DD

Saw this -

Ikea announces first big UK store closure

Ikea has announced that it will shut down its Coventry city centre store this summer, in its first big closure of a UK outlet.

The Swedish flat-pack furniture giant said the store had made "consistent losses" since it opened in 2007, with fewer people visiting it than expected.

It said it would be consulting the 352 workers affected and would try to find them jobs at other stores.

The Usdaw union said it was "devastating news" for staff.

Ikea, which has 22 stores in the UK, said that it remained committed to growth in the UK.

It said the Coventry site, which cost it £35m, had been built in the city centre as one of its earliest examples of testing a new format to meet customers' changing needs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51369413
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48871 on: February 04, 2020, 10:51:15 pm »

Saw this -

Ikea announces first big UK store closure

Ikea has announced that it will shut down its Coventry city centre store this summer, in its first big closure of a UK outlet.

The Swedish flat-pack furniture giant said the store had made "consistent losses" since it opened in 2007, with fewer people visiting it than expected.

It said it would be consulting the 352 workers affected and would try to find them jobs at other stores.

The Usdaw union said it was "devastating news" for staff.

Ikea, which has 22 stores in the UK, said that it remained committed to growth in the UK.

It said the Coventry site, which cost it £35m, had been built in the city centre as one of its earliest examples of testing a new format to meet customers' changing needs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51369413
Yeah, it's a bad location for the store, they always seem to thrive further out of the main drags, on a retail park or even industrial estates seem to be where they do best, bigger car parks I guess might be a key factor. Every time I go the local one at Thurrock, the car is really massive and is pretty much rammed and if you are really lucky during daytime Mon-Fri you might be able to park around the edges of the car park.
Who let Murphy in?

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48872 on: February 04, 2020, 11:04:00 pm »
"Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so." Therefore your timebase is a complete figment as well.  :-DD

Jepp. Time is an illusion. And all other things outside my head. :-)

Or, in other words from the Austrian singer/songwriter André Heller (1976):
"Die wahren Abenteuer sind im Kopf und sind sie nicht im Kopf, dann sind sie nirgendwo!"

(The true adventures are in the head and if they aren't in the head then they aren't anywhere!)

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48873 on: February 04, 2020, 11:23:03 pm »

I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48874 on: February 04, 2020, 11:28:40 pm »
Thats a great funny song, love it.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf