Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16925887 times)

Vince and 137 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #48825 on: February 04, 2020, 02:47:57 pm »
typical italian fork:

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, mnementh, bd139, grizewald, syau

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48826 on: February 04, 2020, 03:07:44 pm »
Behind chaos there is order. You only have to see it and that only occurs when you got it.
International standards relieve us from myopic routes, thus adding to the chaos.

May I kindly point you to my footer?  :-DD

Something tells me that Terry Pratchett would not have spelled organised with the letter z.

Really? hmmm
I've copied from here:
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/18543-chaos-is-found-in-greatest-abundance-wherever-order-is-being

The "z" confused me all the time but since my english is far away from being good, I took it as it is.

Edit:
Cambridge is agreeing with the "z":
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/organized

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/organized-chaos

Double checking with my dead tree dictionary from 1992, it would indeed seem that either -ise or -ize is acceptable spelling in British English. Personally, I'll stick with the -ise version as I still think that Z instead of S is a Websterism.

I remember giving an American poster on a different forum a very hard time about trying to re-spell laser with a z. He didn't particularly like me pointing out how brain damaged "lazer" is.  :-DD
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48827 on: February 04, 2020, 03:13:59 pm »
Fuckity is used quite regularly here. Either as a connective / nonce word as above or as an adjective i.e. "that server is fuckity - lets reboot it". Might be a London thing. I haven't heard it outside of London yet.

Edit: bored waiting for compilers today so I bought a nice monitor arm so I can get as much surface on the desk as possible for projects etc.

Well, now you've brought it to Australia (and an international forum)!   :-DD

Have word, will travel    :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48828 on: February 04, 2020, 03:20:26 pm »
Behind chaos there is order. You only have to see it and that only occurs when you got it.
International standards relieve us from myopic routes, thus adding to the chaos.

That is why I put it in that way. Your footer attracted my attention.
There is a Eureka moment hidden behind the footer.
By the way, did you test the PM counter upgrade yet?
Time is one of the least understood physical phenomena, like gravity.

Regards, Frans
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:33:36 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #48829 on: February 04, 2020, 03:37:26 pm »

That is why I put it in that way. Your footer attracted my attention.
There is a Eureka moment hidden behind the footer.
By the way, did you test the PM counter upgrade yet?

Regards, Frans

No, not yet. I've ordered yesterday the 3GHz prescaler from forum fellow Jadew and today an Efratom LPRO-101 10MHz Rubidium frequency normal.
As soon as I'll have all parts, I'll put an update here in the TEA forum.

Right now, the only "good" frequency generator I have is the one in my RTB2004.  ;)  :-/O

I'm open for suggestions for a good universal signal generator up to 3GHz.
I have an eye on a very nice AWG in the bay, but I need to have the money first. :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48830 on: February 04, 2020, 04:02:38 pm »
sounds to me like y'all have entirely too much government

I don't know what "y'all" means.

The pronouns "I" and "we" are singular and plural forms, respectively. However, "you" can refer to either singular or plural. In some regions of the US, an explicit plural form of "you" is used for clarity (or style). "Y'all," a contraction of "you" and "all" is one such plural form of "you" that is used more in the South than other regions.

Example: When you met up with them, what did y'all decide to do for fun?

"Y'all" makes it clearer that the decision was made by the group, not the individual who met with them.

Unless you are in Texas where "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all".

exactly! thank you for finally addressing the singular/plural issue wrt y'all.  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48831 on: February 04, 2020, 04:07:22 pm »
This footer also regularly awakes me: specialization is for insects.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48832 on: February 04, 2020, 04:08:34 pm »
If you guys could understand my language, there is soo much freedom of choice in italian cussing...
Ah... the hands are very important too to get the concept properly explanied....

I couldn't find anything comparable on this planet.

Oh definitely. The area I live in has a very large Italian American population. And even though they are 2 or 3 generations removed from the mother country they seem to have 2 things in common.....

You can always tell you are coming to an Italian house because they either have a statue of St Augustine, St Francis, or the Virgin in their yard. Second.....yes, they use many of the same gestures in English. Kinda funny to watch.  :-DD

And third....Italian women, passionate and when they get mad they throw things....far!  :o :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #48833 on: February 04, 2020, 04:13:01 pm »
If you guys could understand my language, there is soo much freedom of choice in italian cussing...
Ah... the hands are very important too to get the concept properly explanied....

I couldn't find anything comparable on this planet.

PS: You should see the germans in my office when I take off in my language...
PS: Look in you tube "Germano Mosconi", he was from my region. A remarkable champion.

I learned a little bit of Italian when I was (a) hanging out with the IFM1 and (b) spending a bit of time each year in southern Italy.  Everyone that taught me emphasized that one did not speak Italian until one could properly cuss. I was already considered fluent in gesturing, having grown up surrounded by Italian immigrants.  ;D

_____

1Italian Food Mafia: shop owners in the strip district of pittsburgh.
specialization is for insects.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48834 on: February 04, 2020, 04:31:54 pm »

Last year I used to be involved in teleconferences where sometimes the remote end was in a conference room with video and perhaps half the people, and the rest of the people joining in one by one on just audio. One day while we were taking a break in the middle of a call a few Italians at the conference room end started talking among themselves in Italian. Watching remotely I could perhaps make out one word in five (mostly by dint of there being a similar word in French or English*), and that was enough to get the gist of their conversation - until some bastard walked in front on the camera. Deprived of all the gesticulation I could now only make out about about one word in twenty.

*You can get a lot from context too. For instance, from context I've learned from that conversation that Putano is Italian for 'manager'.  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 04:36:32 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48835 on: February 04, 2020, 05:24:53 pm »
Today is one of those days where I say "screw it" and not do a damn thing. I love retirement.  :-+

And bask in the limelight that ALL of my Tek equipment is working......for now.  :P ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48836 on: February 04, 2020, 05:39:15 pm »
Just think of all those little tants waiting to go on strike  :popcorn:

Just went out to get a plug for the 6236b. I nicked it for the PL330QMD. Then put a new one on it. Then nicked it again for the HM307  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48837 on: February 04, 2020, 06:09:40 pm »

I know. HUNDREDS of them.  :scared: :scared: :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #48838 on: February 04, 2020, 06:11:35 pm »
Today is one of those days where I say "screw it" and not do a damn thing. I love retirement.  :-+

And bask in the limelight that ALL of my Tek equipment is working......for now.  :P ;D

Nothing like just whacking Murphy upside the head with a stick and pretty much begging for something to blow up...   You must be bored, huh?  :P :-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48839 on: February 04, 2020, 06:14:56 pm »
I acknowledged Murphy. Notice I said "for now"  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48840 on: February 04, 2020, 06:17:54 pm »

Just went out to get a plug for the 6236b. I nicked it for the PL330QMD. Then put a new one on it. Then nicked it again for the HM307  :-DD
Buy a pack of 10 next time, then no more nicking plugs, for a short time at least  :-DD

I use a load of these little chappies, very handy for controlling what equipment is switched on and avoids wasting energy.  :-+  https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/plugtop-switched/dp/PL10037?st=plug
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48841 on: February 04, 2020, 06:21:45 pm »
@med totes agree with you, retirement is great you are in control of what and when you do it, just wish it paid better though to fund what I really want to do easier  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #48842 on: February 04, 2020, 06:28:10 pm »
John Fluke Chili laboratory.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, syau

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48843 on: February 04, 2020, 06:35:01 pm »
Now there's a good excuse for me to get a Fluke IR thermometer  :-DD

Buy a pack of 10 next time, then no more nicking plugs, for a short time at least  :-DD

I use a load of these little chappies, very handy for controlling what equipment is switched on and avoids wasting energy.  :-+  https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/plugtop-switched/dp/PL10037?st=plug

I buy about 2 plugs a year. Usually just go in Screwfix down the road.

The switched ones are pretty cool though. I like that.

I'm in the middle of ripping my entire corner out and rewiring it at the moment. Wasn't happy with the "cable mismanagement"  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #48844 on: February 04, 2020, 06:44:32 pm »

I'm in the middle of ripping my entire corner out and rewiring it at the moment. Wasn't happy with the "cable mismanagement"  :-DD

I have the BBC News on right now waiting for "Fire in London residence".  :P :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48845 on: February 04, 2020, 06:46:19 pm »
Hahahaha cheeky sod  :-DD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #48846 on: February 04, 2020, 07:09:53 pm »
I frequently use "P, H, K, T"   :-BROKE

(say it as if it was a word...)

Quite a lot of English words with "ise/isa" in them used to use z. Just goes to show parts of the US are still in the 17th century...   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48847 on: February 04, 2020, 07:16:16 pm »
3DP FTW. So it turns out I have no way of mounting my socket block on the bottom of the desk where it's out of the way because it didn't come with any brackets. So F360 to the rescue. One mounting block. Takes two cable ties through it which go around the block and screws into the bottom of the top surface. Sorted  :-+

And in 2 hours I have two of them and the problem solved with off the shelf crap I have. Again thanks to everyone who promoted this amazing tech :D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, mnementh, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #48848 on: February 04, 2020, 07:39:21 pm »
3DP FTW. So it turns out I have no way of mounting my socket block on the bottom of the desk where it's out of the way because it didn't come with any brackets. So F360 to the rescue. One mounting block. Takes two cable ties through it which go around the block and screws into the bottom of the top surface. Sorted  :-+

And in 2 hours I have two of them and the problem solved with off the shelf crap I have. Again thanks to everyone who promoted this amazing tech :D

Damn but you lot are dangerous to know... to my wallet anyway!   :palm:

I've been looking at getting one for a while now, just so many uses!

I just can't decide whether to dip my toe in the water at <£100, or save up and jump in with both feet (£200-250).    :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48849 on: February 04, 2020, 07:43:17 pm »
I think I paid £135 for my Ender 3 on ebay (creality official ebay account) which is quite frankly a fucking amazing bargain. That was on a 10% off day on ebay. Usually goes around £150. That's as low as I wanted to go. I think you have to pay a lot more to get a better printer. Worth every penny.  I've added a glass bed to that and that's it so far. PLA comes from Amazon at ~ £15 a 1Kg roll for the Geeetech stuff.

It runs 3-4 hours a day at average and hasn't had a single fault other than a nozzle clean needed since I bought it in October. I have a metal extruder feed kit here to install but I haven't got around to it yet.

Go go go  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf